In a significant achievement for a destination hit hard by the storms of 2017, St Maarten was the fastest-growing tourism destination in the Caribbean last year.
The destinations growth rate of 80 percent was the biggest improvement of any destination in the region, according to data released Wednesday by the Caribbean Tourism Organization.
The British Virgin Islands was the next-fastest-growing destination, with 57.3 percent growth, followed by Dominica at 51.7 percent all three destinations marking strong recoveries since Hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017.
In all, St Maarten reported 319,696 stayover visitors in 2019, along with a total of 1.63 million cruise passengers.
The latter represented 2.2 percent year-over-year growth for what is one of the most-visited cruise stops in the wider Caribbean region.
St Maartens growth was driven by the all-important United States market which accounted for 165,743 visitors, representing an improvement of a whopping 145 percent compared to 2018.
The Canadian market sent 27,736 visitors to St Maarten, a jump of 202.7 percent, while Europe sent 91,814 visitors, a 22.4 percent increase.
While the increase is of course tied to the lull in visitation in the months following the storms of 2017, St Maartens chart-topping increase is a major sign for one of the destination, more impressive given that St Maarten has been working with a provisional version of the Princess Juliana International Airport.
On that front, airport officials say the rebuilding of the permanent terminal will begin this year, following the signing of a $72 grant reconstruction agreement with the World Bank at the end of 2019.
St Maarten is positioned to continue strong growth in 2020, with major European carriers returning strong airlift for the season, and a bustling hotel pipeline.
That includes the transformed Sonesta Maho and Sonesta Ocean Point resorts, both of which have been open again for some time, and newer properties like the highly-anticipated 124-room Morgan resort in Simpson Bay, set to open in the second half of 2020.
Another new property, the Adonis hotel in Cupecoy, just opened its doors at the beginning of this year.
Next month, the French side of the island will get a huge injection of energy with the debut of AMResorts first-ever property in the French Caribbean, the new Secrets St Martin on Anse Marcel, one that will add to a reinvigorated hotel product led by the sparkling rebuild of the Grand Case Beach Club.
- When Can We Return To The Caribbean? - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- Outlook into the Latin America and the Caribbean Furniture Market to 2021 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 19th, 2020
- Latin America & The Caribbean - Weekly Situation Update (11-17 May 2020) As of 18 May 2020 - World - ReliefWeb - May 19th, 2020
- Joint statement by the heads of the Organisation of African, Caribbean and Pacific States, the Caribbean Community, and the Pacific Islands Forum... - May 19th, 2020
- Esri and IDB Offer Solution to Combat COVID-19 in Latin America and the Caribbean - Geospatial World - May 19th, 2020
- 4 Incredible Experiences to Have in the Caribbean - Femina - May 19th, 2020
- IDB, Esri offer solutions to combat COVID-19 in the Caribbean - Jamaica Observer - May 19th, 2020
- UK Armed Forces step up support to the Caribbean Overseas Territories during coronavirus pandemic - GOV.UK - May 19th, 2020
- Over 1,000 Jamaicans on Royal Caribbean cleared to disembark - Stabroek News - May 19th, 2020
- US Deportations Are Exporting COVID-19 to Latin America and the Caribbean - Truthout - May 19th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Can Make It Through to 2021, but Whats Next? - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- Ambassador Edmunds recent comments on Caribbean tourism in recent Latin America Advisor publication of the Inter-American Dialogue - The Voice St.... - May 19th, 2020
- Good news for visitors to the Caribbean as St Lucia looks to open borders from June 4 - The Voice Online - May 19th, 2020
- Five Caribbean countries among 100 to get World Bank aid - Nation News - May 19th, 2020
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 6' producer breaks silence over Johnny Depp's future - Micky News - May 19th, 2020
- Popular Caribbean joint in Toronto is now doing roti meal kits for takeout and delivery - blogTO - May 19th, 2020
- 5 Caribbean Islands Where You Can Go Beyond the Beach - The New York Times - March 5th, 2020
- Caribbean tourism threatened by the region's first cases of COVID-19 - Global Voices - March 5th, 2020
- Is This The Next Big Vacation Spot In The Caribbean? - Forbes - March 5th, 2020
- Cruises and the Coronavirus: What Passengers Need to Know - The New York Times - March 5th, 2020
- Why Shares of Royal Caribbean Were Down in February - Motley Fool - March 5th, 2020
- When is Wild Cuba: A Caribbean Journey on TV? - BBC Discover Wildlife - March 5th, 2020
- Cook Like the Chefs on Taste the Islands with New Caribbean Cookbook - Island Origins - March 5th, 2020
- Flycana: Dominican start-up LCC working to be viable in the Caribbean - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - March 5th, 2020
- Caribbean-style roti shop, On the Double, coming this spring to Union Market. - PoPville - March 5th, 2020
- "The new authentic Caribbean street food eatery and Rhum bar will serve many of the menu items from its acclaimed sister restaurant, Cane Rhum... - March 5th, 2020
- Pirates Of The Caribbean 5: Why Keith Richards Was Replaced By Paul McCartney - Screen Rant - March 5th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Is Starting To Look Attractive - Seeking Alpha - March 5th, 2020
- Johnny Depp Never Actually Lost His Pirates Of The Caribbean Role - ScreenGeek - March 5th, 2020
- From the Newsroom: Cruising along in the Caribbean - The Columbian - February 29th, 2020
- The Invention of the "Healthy" Caribbean - JSTOR Daily - February 29th, 2020
- The 4 best Caribbean spots in Baltimore - Hoodline - February 29th, 2020
- Import Substitution: Local Fruits And Veggies Can Feed Caribbean Economies - Forbes - February 29th, 2020
- Kamau Brathwaite and the Voice of the Caribbean - The New York Review of Books - February 29th, 2020
- Faces & Places: Jews of the Caribbean Detroit Jewish News - The Jewish News - February 29th, 2020
- What in the world are those things washing up on Floridas beaches? - TCPalm - February 29th, 2020
- I spent a day on the most beautiful island in the Caribbean and never left my room. It was incredible. - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Cooks from parts of Africa, the US, and the Caribbean share their heritage recipes - The Philadelphia Inquirer - February 29th, 2020
- Silver Airways applies to fly larger aircraft to Caribbean - Flightglobal - February 29th, 2020
- Dominican Republic: first in the Caribbean to use technology for maps of coastal marine habitats - Dominican Today - February 29th, 2020
- Top airports for private aviation in the Caribbean* - Travel Daily News International - February 29th, 2020
- Pirates Of The Caribbean: 10 Things Everyone Missed About Davy Jones - Screen Rant - February 29th, 2020
- More Work Needs to be Done to Develop Caribbean Sports Talent - caribbeannationalweekly.com - February 29th, 2020
- Why Shares of Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Delta, and Southwest Plummeted Today - Motley Fool - February 29th, 2020
- Why Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Hertz Global Stocks All Dropped Today - Motley Fool - February 29th, 2020
- Grandfather of child who died on Royal Caribbean ship pleading guilty - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Disney Reportedly Considering Bringing Johnny Depp Back For Pirates Of The Caribbean Reboot - We Got This Covered - February 29th, 2020
- Grandfather of 1-year-old who fell to her death from Royal Caribbean cruise ship to plead guilty - USA TODAY - February 29th, 2020
- Petition To Bring Johnny Depp Back To Pirates Of The Caribbean Almost At Its Goal - We Got This Covered - February 29th, 2020
- Caribbean & Mexico Vacation Packages - All Inclusive Resorts ... - January 27th, 2020
- From Pakistan to the Caribbean: Curry's journey around the world - CNN - January 27th, 2020
- Cat sails the waters of the Caribbean since she was a kitten - Metro.co.uk - January 27th, 2020
- Reimagining the Caribbean's identity - Dominican Today - January 27th, 2020
- Women Who Made Their Mark on Caribbean Music to Headline Best of The Best Music Fest - South Florida Caribbean News - January 27th, 2020
- 15 Luxurious All-Inclusive Resorts In The Caribbean (That Are Cheaper Than You Thought) - TheTravel - January 27th, 2020
- Buy Royal Caribbean Even Though Coronavirus Fears Are Slamming the Stock, Scott Black Says - Barron's - January 27th, 2020
- Family of toddler who fell to her death off a cruise ship says Royal Caribbean provided a 'false narrative' - Wink News - January 27th, 2020
- Harry Potter Star Reportedly Eyed To Lead Pirates Of The Caribbean Reboot - We Got This Covered - January 27th, 2020
- Sally's: The Team Behind Sally Roots Brings Asian-Influenced Caribbean Food to Bed-Stuy - BKLYNER - January 27th, 2020
- Zac Efron Rumored To Play Jack Sparrow In "Pirates of the Caribbean" Reboot - Inside the Magic - January 27th, 2020
- 15 Under-The-Radar Caribbean Destinations Better Than Turks And Caicos - TheTravel - January 27th, 2020
- PAHO Director urges Caribbean to Prepare for Early Detection of Coronavirus - caribbeannationalweekly.com - January 27th, 2020
- Religious keep momentum of Amazon synod alive in wider Latin American, Caribbean region - Global Sisters Report - January 20th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean: Grandfather 'reckless' in toddler death: report - Fox Business - January 20th, 2020
- Mottley warns of attempts to divide the Caribbean - Jamaica Gleaner - January 20th, 2020
- Mix up financing to better protect Caribbean, say experts - World - ReliefWeb - January 20th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean: 10 Best Jack Sparrow Quotes - Screen Rant - January 20th, 2020
- St. Thomas named one of Caribbean's best fishing destinations - Virgin Islands Daily News - January 20th, 2020
- 10 unexpected foods to eat on the Caribbean island of Curacao - USA Today 10Best - January 18th, 2020
- Dominica Is the Fastest Growing Economy in Latin America and the Caribbean Region Thanks to Booming Tourism and Citizenship by Investment, UN ECLAC... - January 18th, 2020
- A busy year in the Caribbean: Elections - Global Americans - January 18th, 2020
- I spent a day on Richard Branson's private island in the Caribbean. It was as spectacular as you can imagine. - Business Insider - January 18th, 2020
- From Vision to Action: Latin American and Caribbean Cities Ready for a Paradigm Shift in Road Safety - TheCityFix - January 18th, 2020
- PHOTOS: Disney Reveals Sneak Peek at February's Pirates of the Caribbean Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction Line - wdwnt.com - January 18th, 2020
- Caribbean Map / Map of the Caribbean - Maps and ... - January 15th, 2020
- New Thoughts on the Colonization of the Caribbean - Archaeology - January 15th, 2020
- Stony coral tissue loss disease is sweeping through Caribbean reefs. Can these students find the answers? - News@Northeastern - January 15th, 2020
- Study puts the 'Carib' in 'Caribbean,' boosting credibility of Columbus' cannibal claims - University of Florida - January 15th, 2020
- The Rhythm Lounge & Grill is offering live music and Caribbean-inspired food at Marketplace Maill - Winston-Salem Journal - January 15th, 2020
- Church Shares Caribbean Culture to Build Local Connections - WGLT News - January 15th, 2020