A career in truck driving has many great benefits the freedom and exploration of life on the road, good pay and job security, but it also has its downfalls such as stressful highway driving with disrespectful motorists, which is why Tyler-based TMS Delivery Inc. is celebrating their drivers during National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, Sept. 8-14.
Tarisa Klaus, 50, general manager at TMS Delivery Inc., has worked with the truckload carrier company for 15 years. It was founded by Darrell Nunn in 1983.
TMS Delivery Inc. is a small company that specializes in expedited services, meaning they deal regularly with rush orders, items that must be delivered by a particular time and items that require special handling and care.
Their job is stressful and no one really appreciates how stressful it is to be a truck driver, Klaus said. Put yourself in that truck, eight feet off the ground, driving down the road with people who got their drivers license online. Theyre trying to motorboat around you. Youre 80,000 pounds, theyre three thousand pounds. You cant shut down that truck on a dime. You have to bring it to a stop. Then motorists cut them off, flip them off, disrespect them, make their lives on the highway.
In the past five years, companies have seen a shortage in truck drivers. Ms. Klaus said that good drivers will always be in demand, but they can be hard to find. She said many applicants dont have the right modality in their work ethic. They dont want to be team players.
In East Texas, the demand for truck drivers fluctuates with the demand for oil field workers. When the oil fields are full of workers, drivers are sparse.
Dale Speer, 42, of Coffee City, is considered a team leader at TMS and a model employee for all new hires. Speer drives a 2007 Peterbilt 379 extended hood 4 axle, a heavy-haul truck. He often carries specialized or oversized loads that require special attention on the road.
Quality of service especially in oversized and specialized is super critical because in that realm of trucking its high liability, expensive loads both for the shipper and the receiver, Klaus said. It takes a cool head and an experienced mind to handle that kind of freight.
Speer has 21 years of experience as a truck driver and has been employed with TMS for eight years.
Hes conscientious he cares about the other drivers and he cares about the motoring public, Klaus said. I have him train every driver that comes through the door. Hes the best at cargo securement. Hes told me, I tie that load down as if my little girl is riding next to it; nothing moves.
Klaus said that Speer sets the tone for the rest of the team and that tone translates to performance on the road.
Klaus believes that taking care of each other is a vital aspect to a successful company.
People have value, she said. The turnover rate in so many corporations is growing and growing because they dont value their people. Some managers look at their people like they are hamburger meat you grind them then go. How do you grow that way? How do you build something that way?
If you want to be the best at your industry you have to set that tone by hiring quality drivers like Speer.
These guys go through a lot every day so you can have the things you see in your world. If you bought it, a truck driver brought it, she said.
On Saturday the drivers will be recognized with a special celebration at the company. Ms. Klaus herself will sit in a dunking booth waiting to be dunked by her team. The day will also include a barbecue, competitions and fun games in an effort to show appreciation for the companys drivers.
Follow this link:
- TMS Lady Wildcats take fifth in Murfreesboro | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - September 18th, 2019
- A TMS partnership that spells sweet success - DC Velocity - September 18th, 2019
- Trimble Debuts Continued Enhancements to its TMW.Suite, TruckMate and Innovative IES TMS Solutions New Products and Services - DC Velocity - September 18th, 2019
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Neuronavigation Systems Market Insights Analysis 2018-2026 - Rapid News Network - September 18th, 2019
- Convoy adds API access to its network for shippers - FreightWaves - September 18th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS | Local | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - September 18th, 2019
- Kuebix Community Load Match Saves Shippers Money on Truckload Rates While Increasing Business for Brokers and Digital Freight Matching Firms -... - September 18th, 2019
- Mitsubishi teases new PHEV SUV concept for TMS - Paul Tan's Automotive News - September 18th, 2019
- Pokemon GO Shiny Trapinch code found as Mewtwo raids cancelled - SlashGear - September 18th, 2019
- Momentum Continue?::Greenbrook Tms Inc, (TSX (Toronto):GTMS) - Times Of New York - September 18th, 2019
- MercuryGate Names Traci Kellner as Chief People Officer - Business Wire - September 18th, 2019
- Kuebix Community Load Match saves shippers money on truckload rates - American Journal of Transportation - September 18th, 2019
- Midweek interview with TMS Talent's Ed Hewitt - Travel Weekly - September 18th, 2019
- TMS for USA 3PL market Overview, Development & Growth Rate Forecast for Next 5 Years - Market News Everyday - September 18th, 2019
- Right Time To Pull The Trigger ::Greenbrook Tms Inc, (TSX (Toronto):GTMS) - Times Of New York - September 18th, 2019
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) Downgraded to Hold at ValuEngine - TechNewsObserver - September 18th, 2019
- EDAP TMS SA (EDAP) Jumped Up 2.0%, But Why? - Merakhaber News - September 18th, 2019
- Landmark TMS Provider - Achieve TMS - Opening in Claremont, CA - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- EDAP TMS to Present at the 19th Annual Rodman & Renshaw Global Investment Conference - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- EDAP TMS Reports Record Second Quarter and First Half 2017 Results - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- What is the Schaff Indicator Suggesting For Edap Tms SA (EDAP)? - Morgan Research - August 25th, 2017
- Like most families, Test Match Special has had some bitter rows - Telegraph.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- TMW Adds Real-Time Freight Tracking to TMS Solutions - TopNews ... - Heavy Duty Trucking - August 20th, 2017
- TMS To Host Solar Eclipse Watch Party on World's Largest TV - Speedway Digest (press release) (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Investors Focusing the Lens on Shares of EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP) - Nelson Research - August 20th, 2017
- 3GTMS partners with project44 - Fleet Owner - August 18th, 2017
- EDAP TMS (EDAP) & PhotoMedex (PHMD) Head to Head Survey - The Cerbat Gem - August 16th, 2017
- What's Behind Edap Tms SA (EDAP)'s Movement - Stock Daily Review - August 16th, 2017
- Can This Stock Gain Any Traction: EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - FLBC News - August 14th, 2017
- Schools preparing for opening day - The Daily Planet - August 14th, 2017
- NeoSync Secures $13M in Financing to Fund Treatment Resistant Depression Technology Trial - Scientific Computing - August 14th, 2017
- TMS Wildcats blast Coffee County 38-0 - Tullahoma News and Guardian - August 13th, 2017
- TMW Systems appoints new senior director, product management - Fleet Owner - August 11th, 2017
- What are Technical Machines in Pokmon GO (TMs)? - Tech Advisor - August 11th, 2017
- Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) Sees Technical Signals Building - Evergreen Caller - August 10th, 2017
- Child missionaries take center stage at TMS | Tvilletimes | hpenews ... - Tvilletimes - August 10th, 2017
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Share Price Heads Below Balance Step - FLBC News - August 10th, 2017
- When medication fails, this helmet can treat depression - Metro US - August 9th, 2017
- GDC Theatre Management System is number one in India | Film ... - Film Journal - August 9th, 2017
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) Given Daily Media Sentiment Rating of -0.03 - The Cerbat Gem - August 9th, 2017
- Volume Moving the Tape For Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) - Clayton News - August 8th, 2017
- What Do The Technicals Boil Down To For Edap Tms SA (EDAP ... - JCTY News - August 8th, 2017
- Is EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP) The Right Stock For Heady Investors? - FLBC News - August 6th, 2017
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) and PhotoMedex (PHMD) Head to Head Analysis - BNB Daily (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- Changes for TMS with new school year - Tallmadge Express - August 6th, 2017
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Moves Below Ichimoku Cloud - Evergreen Caller - August 6th, 2017
- Chris Waters: Boycott wind-up the latest in long line of classic TMS moments - Yorkshire Post - August 5th, 2017
- Investors Swarm in on EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares ... - FLBC News - August 5th, 2017
- TMS Global leader's move adds to ranks of African Americans serving in international cross-cultural missions - The South Florida Times - August 4th, 2017
- Lee County, Tupelo students return for new school year - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - August 4th, 2017
- MercuryGate Announces Addition of Rockfarm to its Logistics Integrator Program; Innovative Offering Empowers ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- 'You've done me like a kipper!': Geoffrey Boycott brilliantly pranked on TMS - Metro - August 2nd, 2017
- TMS Exclusive: In This Corner of the World Cooking Clip Shows How People Dealt With Sparse Rations - The Mary Sue - August 2nd, 2017
- EDAP TMS SA (EDAP) closes with a move of -1.90%, Edge Therapeutics, Inc. (EDGE) noted a price change of -0.84% - Stocks Gallery - August 2nd, 2017
- Is Edap Tms SA Adr (NASDAQ:EDAP)'s Fuel Running Low? Reports Show More Sellers - BZ Weekly - August 1st, 2017
- EDAP TMS SA (EDAP) Reports 510(k) Application for Ablatherm-Fusion Device - StreetInsider.com - July 31st, 2017
- Brain Stimulation Techniques Being Studied as Possible MS Treatments - Healthline - July 29th, 2017
- Critical Comparison: Edap Tms (EDAP) vs. PhotoMedex (PHMD) - The Cerbat Gem - July 29th, 2017
- MACD News: Taking a Closer Look at Edap Tms Sa ADR (EDAP) - Nelson Research - July 29th, 2017
- America's Infrastructure Remains a Topic of Spirited Debate: How Can TMS Help Users of the Nation's Highways Avoid ... - Logistics Viewpoints (blog) - July 28th, 2017
- Placing the Spotlight on Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V): Technical Stock Update - Financial Newsweek - July 28th, 2017
- Test Match Special - BBC Sport - July 27th, 2017
- Pierbridge is Named a Top 10 TMS Provider for 2017 - Benzinga - July 27th, 2017
- TMS May Help Distinguish Alzheimer's from Frontotemporal Dementia - MedPage Today - July 27th, 2017
- Shares Seesawing on Volume: Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) - Clayton News - July 26th, 2017
- Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) Sees Schaff Indicator Continue To Climb - Morgan Research - July 26th, 2017
- Edap Tms S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Downgraded to Hold at Zacks ... - The Cerbat Gem - July 26th, 2017
- Treatment That 'Rewires' the Brain Could Be Used for Depression - Healthline - July 25th, 2017
- Shares Seesawing on Volume: Edap Tms SA (EDAP) - Rockville Register - July 25th, 2017
- Transformer Monitoring Systems (TMS) Market Is Expected to Rise at a Remarkable CAGR by 2024 - Digital Journal - July 25th, 2017
- QAD brings personalisation to TMS - Enterprise Times - July 21st, 2017
- Racers Prepare For Solar Car Competition At TMS CBS Dallas ... - CBS DFW - July 20th, 2017
- North Texas students compete in solar car challenge at TMS - Story ... - FOX 4 News - July 19th, 2017
- SimpliShip ties up with TMS provider Kuebix - American Shipper (subscription) - July 19th, 2017
- Getting Paid: Why AR Matters in your TMS - Logistics Viewpoints (blog) - July 19th, 2017
- TMS activity gathers pace - The Maritime Standard (registration) - July 18th, 2017
- Kuebix Partners with SimpliShip to Expand International TMS Solution - PR Web (press release) - July 18th, 2017
- QI Valuation Update on EDAP TMS SA (NasdaqGM:EDAP) - Union Trade Journal - July 17th, 2017
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Shareholder Sabby Management Lowered Its Position by $1.57 Million; Edgewood Management ... - BZ Weekly - July 14th, 2017
- North American Bancard closes on Total Merchant Services deal - Crain's Detroit Business - July 11th, 2017