In 1508, King Ferdinand II of Spain drafted his memoires. Youd guess the voyages he and Queen Isabella funded would have featured prominently in his personal puff-piece. Imagine bragging about your man Columbus discovering the New World as it was Eurocentrically termed. Oddly, Ferdinand didnt even mention the voyage in his first version.
Ferdinand II of Aragon, King of the Crown of Aragon (1452-1516) detail of wooden altar, Peruvian ... [+] folk art.
While a few monarchs were plotting routes to world domination, the preponderance of Europe paid little attention during those early years.
When forces begin to fundamentally challenge our worldview note the Earth-centric notion worldview only a few people truly pioneer.Most fail. A few make history. Thus we are poised for frontiers in space.
Space Cowboys and Cowgirls
I recently spoke for the New Worlds 2019 confab in Austin, Texas, an annual gathering of space enthusiasts. Hosted by Rick Tumlinson of the Space Fund and Earthlight Foundation, New Worlds focuses on space exploration and colonization. Tumlinson joined me for a trialogue at TWIN Global 2019 earlier this year (find our conversation here), then invited me to join the space race.
Comic book detail from the exhibit, Cowboys in Space and Fantastic Worlds, at the Bullock Texas ... [+] History Museum through December 1, 2019.
The venue for the event, the Bullock Texas State History Museum, hosts an intriguing exhibit Cowboys in Space, which explores the cultural synthesis of space and the American cowboy ethos. Surviving on any true frontier requires self-reliance, a conditions-relevant code of ethics and extraordinary courage the cowboy ideal.
As the exhibit and event explored, science fiction (cowboy or otherwise) generates visions for where we might go in the future.
Not Just For Billionaires And Comiconers
While the space community is still small, its passionate and making progress. Its not just for billionaires like Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk though their commitment is essentialand Comicon enthusiasts though New Worlds did include a fair dose of Comiconisity. Real businesses, from healthcare and resources to aerospace and defense, are actively investing in these early days.
Investors such as Dylan Taylor, Chairman and CEO of Voyager Space Holdings, see investable opportunities. We now have second and third generation entrepreneurs. The business cases are becoming more viable and industry expertise is becoming stronger. I expect this trend to accelerate.
While many presenters and companies impressed me, a group of young researchers and designers stood out. They were selected for their innovative, insightful work on challenges facing our future in space.
What struck me about their work was how relevant some of their insights are for us here on Earth. Out-of-this-world (literally) challenges catalyze ideas relevant for nearer-term terrestrial purposes.
Designing Our Futures In Space And On Earth
Many science fiction authors envision complicated physical environments in space, to help astronauts and travelers feel at home. University of Houston Space Architecture program student and MIT Media Lab visiting student Tamalee Basu is taking an alternative, low-cost holodeck-like approach. With few resources, she decided to try to create a light-weight immersive AstroPod within which an individual can experience any environment.
Some of Tamalee Basu's sketchs for her AstroPod concept, 2019
Basus building a cloth cocoon with 360-degree projection and interactive capabilities. One could envision running simulated environments or having near-real time conversations with colleagues or dinner with loved ones back on Earth.
While Basus idea arose from considering the challenges of spending years away from Earth, we wont need to wait for space to benefit from her idea. When AstroPod or some similar solution works, we could enjoy such devices on earth. Or anywhere. Low cost, fully 3D, 360-degree immersive virtual spaces.
Mockup of a real-time Space-to-Earth meal experience with two participants, via an AstroPod. ... [+] Tamalee Basu
Over the next decade, well transcend the notion of virtual reality goggles and create dedicated virtual spaces with a variety of form factors and use cases. Basus insights from considering potential needs in space could inform progress here at home.
Even in space conventionally defined by the Krmn line, or 100 km above Earths sea levelinvestable opportunities already exist. Aquarian Devices endeavors to build communications networks orbiting Earth, and eventually to the realm between Earth, the Moon and Mars. CEO Kelly Larson explained, Were already signing MOUs with customers who already have needs for orbital-to-earth communications not well-satisfied by current solutions, or who see rapidly expanding requirements in the near future.
Whether building the definitive telecommunications network for near-space requires 3 years or 30, someone will win big. Many players will die painful deaths, but any business or government with reasons to engage should be paying attention. Inter-galactic prizesand investment black holes loom.
Chinas Centennial Vision
Whilst space race veterans like the United States, Europe, Japan and Russia continue apace, and new entrants like the UAE and India rise, the most compelling plans explored at New Worlds came from China. Namrata Goswami, a MINERVA grantee from the US Office of the Secretary of Defense, presented an overview of the Peoples Republics long-term vision and activities.
China endeavors to be the foremost nation in space by 2045ahead of their 2049 Centennial Celebrations. Initiatives include Lunar and asteroid mining by 2034 with a permanent presence by 2036 and industrial scale space-based solar power by 2050. Thus far, China has largely achieved announced timelines.
The Shenzhou X spacecraft carried by a Long March-2F carrier rocket installed at the launch pad in ... [+] Jiuquan, Northwest China's Gansu province the morning of June 3, 2013. China launched the Shenzhou X spacecraft to advance their manned space program. The spacecraft carried three astronauts to visit the Tiangong-1 space module, state media reported. CHINA OUT AFP PHOTO (Photo credit should read STR/AFP via Getty Images)
Meeting epochal objectives requires deep, motivating belief. Chinas leadership equates their space ambitions to a new Long March, referring to the multi-year retreat of the Chinese Communist forces in the 1930s that enabled them to overcome their Nationalist adversaries and eventually found the Peoples Republic of China.
Chinas long-term vision to conquer space deserves respect. The countrys activities also pose cooperative opportunities and competitive threats for the US, Europe, India and others.
Americas To Win Or Lose
In contrast to Chinas centrally controlled efforts, a few commentators at New Worlds espoused Americas decentralized, entrepreneurial ferment of thousands of organizations generating many paths to the future. The American Cowboy ideal.
But we must humbly recognize that China has also proven itself capable of impressive success at new ventures. Entrepreneurial advantages require entrepreneurial commitments.
Space is not Americas birthright, though neither is it anyone elses. America must take a leadership role with willing partners worldwide to ensure globaland interplanetary security and prosperity. This will require Herculean efforts over decades, though failure could be existential.
America must up its game. Provide more public funds for space-related research, technology and infrastructure at a scale necessary to de-risk opportunities for investors. Encourage initiatives like Tumlinsons efforts to expand public and private sector engagement and build the community dedicated to space.
Expect many hype cycles and crashes (financial and physical) before space becomes a normal course of business. Nonetheless, be assured the heavens will look very different 30 years from now thus so will life on Earth.
Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand might not have recognized the magnitude of change they catalyzed, but others did. Some attained fame and fortune, while many others died on the high seas. They collectively transformed the world. Yet again, limitless frontiers await.
Tomb of King Ferdinand II of Aragon and Queen Isabella of Castile, Spain, engraving by Lemaitre from ... [+] Espagne, by Joseph Lavallee and Adolphe Gueroult, L'Univers pittoresque, published by Firmin Didot Freres, Paris, 1844.
Read more from the original source:
Space Cowboys, Chinas New Long March, Interplanetary Opportunities And Existential Risks Our New Age In Space - Forbes
- The Search for Exoplanets Have Revealed a Cold Neptune and Two-Super Earths by Land Based Telescopes - Science Times - January 20th, 2020
- SpaceX has ambitions to carry a million people to Mars by 2050, tweets Musk - Technowize - January 20th, 2020
- After 1-Day Weather Delay, SpaceX Succesfully Conducts Abort Test - Weatherboy - January 20th, 2020
- 20 Questions We Have for the 2020s - Popular Mechanics - November 30th, 2019
- Column: I am not afraid of Thanksgiving dinner, I just hate it - Los Angeles Times - November 30th, 2019
- NASA's Plan To Reduce Planetary Protection For Mars Risks Accidentally Extinguishing Second Genesis Of Life Before We Find It - Science 2.0 - November 23rd, 2019
- Meet the robotic pioneers that will help humanity colonize Mars - Digital Trends - November 23rd, 2019
- Outer space capitalism: The legal and technical challenges facing the private space industry - Big Think - October 16th, 2019
- Deep learning nails correlation. Causation is another matter. - Big Think - October 16th, 2019
- NASA, SpaceX Working On Refuelling Rockets In Space For Moon, Mars Mission - International Business Times - October 16th, 2019
- Your Time Is Almost Out To Join The GODSPEED Kickstarter Campaign - GameTyrant - October 16th, 2019
- Elon Musk Unveils SpaceX's New Starship Plans for Private Trips to the Moon, Mars and Beyond - Space.com - October 5th, 2019
- Elon Musk Unveils His Starship, Plans to Fly It in a Matter of Months - ExtremeTech - October 5th, 2019
- Life on Mars: Scientist suggests sending microbes to the Red Planet to terraform Mars - Express.co.uk - October 5th, 2019
- Destiny 2: How To Find The Secret NASA Emblem | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 5th, 2019
- Elon Musk shares first photo of SpaceX's sleek new spacesuit - Florida Today - August 25th, 2017
- NASA's Genest discusses eclipse, moon colonization at Niota event - The Daily Post-Athenian - August 22nd, 2017
- Life's a pitch - Open Democracy - August 22nd, 2017
- When Will the First Human Space Colony Be Established? - Futurism - August 18th, 2017
- Five eclipse facts to read up on before Monday - Daily Egyptian - August 16th, 2017
- German Company to Colonize Moon with First Cell Towers - German Pulse - August 15th, 2017
- Saturn's Moon Titan Will be a Human Colony - Edgy Labs (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- The strange but true history of eclipse science from 2137 BC into the future - Mic - August 14th, 2017
- US joint chiefs chairman stresses North Korea diplomacy, but notes 'full range' of military options - Chicago Tribune - August 14th, 2017
- It's No Joke. NASA Needs Someone to Stop Us Polluting Outer Space - Newsweek - August 11th, 2017
- China's Simulated Mars Colony Is its First Small Step to the Red Planet - Inverse - August 11th, 2017
- How Space-Based Design Will Keep Martians and Moon-Dwellers Sane - Motherboard - August 9th, 2017
- Elon Musk is focused on the colonization of Mars - Blasting News - August 8th, 2017
- Welcome to SpaceX City: The Ultimate Startup - PCMag India - August 4th, 2017
- Adrin Villar Rojas Excavates Greece's National Identity - Hyperallergic - July 28th, 2017
- New research suggests the interior of the Moon may contain an abundance of water - TechSpot - July 25th, 2017
- SpaceX's Mars Plans Hit a Pothole. Up Next: the Moon? - WIRED - July 22nd, 2017
- In a Cruel Summer for the GOP, 'Things Are Starting to Feel Incoherent' - New York Times - July 21st, 2017
- Moon Colony? Elon Musk Now Wants Lunar Colonization Before Mars - International Business Times - July 21st, 2017
- Jeff Bezos' Vision: 'A Trillion Humans in the Solar System' - Space.com - July 21st, 2017
- How Moon Bases and Lunar Colonies Work (Infographic) - July 20th, 2017
- Elon Musk Calls for Moon Base - Space.com - July 20th, 2017
- Jeff Bezos outlines vision of colonizing the solar system - The Space Reporter - July 19th, 2017
- Starship Congress presentations make the case for permanent moon colonization - Next Big Future - July 19th, 2017
- Titan's Alien Lakes Might Be Perfect Landing Spots for Colonization ... - Outer Places - July 18th, 2017
- We took an AR trip to the moon | TechRadar - TechRadar - July 15th, 2017
- Titan's Alien Lakes Might Be Perfect Landing Spots for Colonization Probes - Outer Places - July 14th, 2017
- Moon Express - July 12th, 2017
- Nothing to Sneeze At - Air & Space Magazine - July 12th, 2017
- Space invadersthe dangers of fungi in space - BMC Blogs Network (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- Titan (moon) - Wikipedia - July 8th, 2017
- Mars Surface May Be Too Toxic for Microbial Life - Smithsonian - July 8th, 2017
- Startling revelation of how Christianity was in already in Africa before colonization - GhanaWeb - July 5th, 2017
- NASA denies Infowars claim that the agency runs a child slave colony on Mars - Salon - July 3rd, 2017
- SpaceX to Mars: Awe-Inspiring Video Shows Vision for Red ... - July 2nd, 2017
- Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos Think the Earth Is ... - Observer - July 1st, 2017
- US returns looted royal seals to South Korea - The Japan Times - July 1st, 2017
- The Race for Space Colonization Starts with NASA's Lunar Station Plans - TrendinTech - June 29th, 2017
- Stephen Hawking Believes We Will Abandon Earth via Light-Based Transportation - Big Think - June 28th, 2017
- Narendra Modi, Travel Ban, Liu Xiaobo: Your Morning Briefing - New York Times - June 26th, 2017
- Tons of Water Ice Found on the Moon's North Pole - June 25th, 2017
- Hawking urges Moon landing to 'elevate humanity' - BBC News - June 25th, 2017
- Stephen Hawking: 'I Am Convinced That Humans Need to Leave Earth' - EcoWatch - June 23rd, 2017
- SpaceX's Quest For Rocketry's Holy Grail - Space.com ... - June 23rd, 2017
- Stephen Hawking: 'Powerful Beam of Light' Could Help Humans ... - Newsmax - June 23rd, 2017
- Elon Musk Releases Detailed Plans for Colonizing Mars and Other Planets - Big Think - June 22nd, 2017
- Stephen Hawking: Earth is in peril, it's time to get out of Dodge - USA TODAY - June 22nd, 2017
- August Full Moon 2016: See the Lunar 'Sturgeon' Tonight - June 21st, 2017
- Stephen Hawking: Humans Should Ride a Beam of Light to Other Planets - Live Science - June 21st, 2017
- MUSKWATCH: Russian Billionaire Wants to Colonize Space with ... - Nerdist - June 21st, 2017
- Why Interstellar Travel Will Be Possible Sooner Than You Think - Singularity Hub - June 19th, 2017
- The Future of Moon Exploration, Lunar Colonies and Humanity - June 18th, 2017
- Elon Musk shares his view of Mars colonization: one million people living in a self sustainable city - ZME Science - June 18th, 2017
- Moon 101 Video - Video -- Video Home -- National Geographic - June 18th, 2017
- Elon Musk Details His Vision for a Human Civilization on Mars ... - Universe Today - June 18th, 2017
- Elon Musk shares plan to colonize Mars - New York Post - June 18th, 2017
- Elon Musk Details His Vision For A Self-Sustaining City On Mars - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- Deep-space travel, colonization may rely on genetically engineered life forms - Genetic Literacy Project - June 16th, 2017
- Moon or Mars - humanity's next stop - Space Daily - June 12th, 2017
- Moon: About the Moon - June 10th, 2017
- World-famous author has found his writing utopia outdoors, under a tarp, in Davis - Sacramento Bee - June 9th, 2017
- Feast of the Strawberry Moon returns this weekend - Grand Haven Tribune - June 8th, 2017
- Home News Campus UCSD Students to Brew Beer on the Moon After Getting Second Chance... - The UCSD Guardian Online - June 6th, 2017
- See Awesome Photos of SpaceX's Dragon Launch and Rocket Landing - Space.com - June 6th, 2017
- Step back in time with the Feast of the Strawberry Moon in Grand Haven - WZZM - June 5th, 2017