The days when Bitcoin was the only real option for investors looking to get into cryptocurrencies are long gone.
Ether, the second-largest cryptocurrency, rose to a record as interest in so-called alt coins continues to surge. Dogecoin, the memecoin that started as a joke, is now worth nearly $90 billion.
In all, there are more than 7,000 coins currently tracked by CoinGecko, with a bewildering array of names (PancakeSwap, anyone?).
For most people, it makes sense just to start with the top two: Bitcoin and Ether. Either would have been a relatively good investment so far in 2021 Bitcoin has almost doubled and Ether has quadrupled, compared with a 12 per cent gain for the S&P 500.
So what do you need to know before deciding where to put your money?
Ether is the token used on the worlds most actively used blockchain the technology used for verifying and recording transactions Ethereum.
Ethereum is used by the likes of Microsoft for its blockchain offering and has powered the explosive growth in non-fungible tokens, the latest digital art craze.
Ether is a blockchain platform that functions like the Apple store or Android app store, said Pat LaVecchia, chief executive of Oasis Pro Markets, a US digital securities trading platform. Bitcoin is a commodity like gold, or a store of value.
Unlike Bitcoin, where many of its core features like its supply cap are baked into the design, the Ethereum platform is evolving. Its currently going through upgrades that should improve the network, with even a change that will reduce supply. That could boost the price by offering greater appeal, while at the same time putting more limits on how many Ether are available.
Investors often look at Ethereum as a growth-type investment, making a bet on the continued development of the decentralised ecosystem built on Ethereum, Phil Bonello, director of research at Grayscale Investments, which oversees trusts that serve vehicles for both cryptocurrencies, said.
Investors often look at Ethereum as a growth-type investment, making a bet on the continued development of the decentralised ecosystem built on Ethereum
Phil Bonello, director of research, Grayscale Investments
They sometimes consider Ether as a way to get index exposure to all the development occurring on Ethereum.
While some of Bitcoins dominance has waned this year Bitcoin now accounts for about 46 per cent of total crypto market value, down from roughly 70 per cent at the start of the year, according to tracker CoinGecko its still the biggest single coin by far.
It has a market cap of more than $1 trillion compared with Ethereums $400bn, according to CoinGecko.
And its still the choice of more big corporates. Tesla and MicroStrategy have been buying the largest cryptocurrency, not Ether. When American billionaire hedge fund managers Paul Tudor Jones and Ray Dalio talk about crypto, they talk about Bitcoin.
Thats reflected in volatility, as well. Cornerstone Macro strategists studied how Bitcoin and Ether would likely perform in a downturn. With a slide of about 20 per cent in the Bloomberg Galaxy Crypto Index, theres notably more downside risk to Ether than its larger compatriot, Cornerstone Macro strategist Benson Durham said.
With a rally of the same magnitude [so up 20 per cent] you dont really get the concomitant upside to Ether compared to Bitcoin, Mr Durham said. Ergo the convexity, if you will, favours Bitcoin.
Speaking of volatility, anyone who goes into cryptocurrencies needs to be comfortable with the price swings, which can be substantial even with the most-established ones.
There have also been periodic issues with exchanges being hacked or going under.
Cryptocurrencies can take a hit from regulations or even the prospect of them. And the prices could go down; some market watchers warn of a potential bubble.
Most mainstream financial advisers say they would balk at anyone putting more than 5 per cent of their overall portfolio into crypto and warn clients they need to be prepared to lose all of it.
Still, for those wanting to get into the crypto space, theres an argument to buy both as part of the age-old search for diversification and hedges.
Given that there are diversification opportunities among digital coins themselves, we should consider a small basket of them, rather than just Bitcoin alone, when we assess whether some allocation to crypto assets can reduce portfolio volatility alongside traditional assets, Cornerstone analysts wrote in a recent report.
See original here:
Should you invest in Bitcoin or Ether? - The National
- Bitcoin Fork Suffers Massive 51% Attack In Attempt To Destroy The Cryptocurrency, Sending Its Price Sharply Lower - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- What if bitcoin went to zero? - The Economist - August 4th, 2021
- 'Green Bitcoin Mining': The Big Profits In Clean Crypto - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Where Are Bitcoin Prices Headed After Their Latest Pullback? - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Why Ethereum Could Surpass Bitcoin In The Near Future - Crunchbase News - August 4th, 2021
- The IRS has seized $1.2 billion worth of cryptocurrency this fiscal year here's what happens to it - CNBC - August 4th, 2021
- Crypto Provision In Infrastructure Bill May Force Bitcoin Miners And Blockchain Companies To Flee U.S. - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoins Rally to $90K+ Took a Detour but Appears Back on Track - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin price hovers around $38600 in early Tuesday trading - Fox Business - August 4th, 2021
- Celsius CEO still sees Bitcoin finishing the year between $140-160K - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- China's attempt to kill Bitcoin failed Here are 3 reasons why - Cointelegraph - August 4th, 2021
- Panic spreading as bitcoin price goes up and down - NEWS.com.au - August 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin is a must have in your portfolio: Expert - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2021
- Not only free pizzas, Indias Olympic medal winners to get free Bitcoins too - Economic Times - August 4th, 2021
- Panic Is Suddenly Spreading Among Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, XRP And Dogecoin Traders Even As The Market Soars Toward A $1.7 Trillion Price - Forbes - August 2nd, 2021
- Out of control and rising: why bitcoin has Nigerias government in a panic - The Guardian - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin price surges toward $40,000 --- Here are 4 reasons - MarketWatch - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin leaps 12% to test recent peaks, ether hits 3-week high - Reuters - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin-based scams mean the federal government now needs a crypto bank - Vox.com - August 2nd, 2021
- Analysts Discuss Bitcoin Over-the-Counter Desks Bubbling With BTC Demand Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 2nd, 2021
- Price Forecast for Bitcoin and 2 Altcoins, From Crypto Research Head - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin price touches $40,000 - Fox Business - August 2nd, 2021
- How Bitcoin Solves The Store Of Value Problem - Bitcoin Magazine - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tether: A Look at Top Cryptocurrencies and Their Worth - Gadgets 360 - August 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Hits Key Level Not Seen Since May Amid Wood, Musk Boost - Bloomberg - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin: Where do We Stand In Summer 2021? - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- Havent Checked On That Bitcoin Account In A While? Your State Could Have It Liquidated - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- Ethereum, the No. 2 behind bitcoin, fights off challengers that offer cheaper and faster blockchains - MarketWatch - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Trading Strategy As The Cryptocurrency Moves Above 50-Day Simple Moving Average In Recovery Mode - Forbes - July 25th, 2021
- British fintech boss sounds the alarm about 'dangers' of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies - CNBC - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin price slides amid EU call to make transfers traceable, and rise of stablecoins - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- This classic trading pattern signaled that Bitcoin price had hit a top - Cointelegraph - July 25th, 2021
- Factors To Take Into Consideration For Choosing The Suitable Bitcoin Wallet! - State-Journal.com - July 25th, 2021
- 3 reasons why traders think Bitcoin price bottomed at $29,500 - Cointelegraph - July 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price Chart May Show $30,000 as Floor - Bloomberg - July 18th, 2021
- How to Dip a Toe Into Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- More than half of experts in a recent crypto survey said bitcoin will replace fiat currency by 2050 - Markets Insider - July 18th, 2021
- It's very dangerous to invest in stocks and bitcoin right now, long-time bear David Tice warns - CNBC - July 18th, 2021
- Draper says Bitcoin is Stronger than Fiat Abroad; Serves as a Hedge for Inflation in the U.S. - Yahoo Finance - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin rises as ways to avoid taxes emerge - Fox Business - July 18th, 2021
- Kelly Evans: Where will Bitcoin strike next? - CNBC - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin DeFi is on the rise as Jack Dorsey's Square muscles into territory long held by ethereum - Markets Insider - July 18th, 2021
- Bitcoin Falls To $32,500 As Inflation Hits A 13-Year High - Forbes - July 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Range Play Likely to End With Bullish Breakout: Analyst - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2021
- Jack Dorsey confirms Square's bitcoin wallet and TikTok bans crypto promotions: 5 things that happened in crypto this past week - CNBC - July 14th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin tanks 8%, Ethereum follows with 21% plunge - Economic Times - July 14th, 2021
- Renewed Hope: How Bitcoin And Green Energy Can Save Ethiopias Economy - Forbes - July 14th, 2021
- How China and India are helping shape the future of CBDCs and Bitcoin - Business Insider - July 14th, 2021
- Are Bitcoin Prices Getting Ready To Break Free Of Their Current Malaise? - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Are Institutional Investors Undervaluing The Taproot Upgrade To Bitcoin? - Forbes - July 10th, 2021
- Currency and control: why China wants to undermine bitcoin - The Guardian - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Weakness Is Dragging Down Square Stock. It Might Be Time to Buy. - Barron's - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Prediction A Move Back Through to $34,000 Would Bring $35,000 into Play - Yahoo Finance - July 10th, 2021
- Lawmaker in Paraguay says he will introduce bitcoin regulation law next week - The Block Crypto - July 10th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency news on July 10: Major stories on Bitcoin, Binance and NFTs - Moneycontrol.com - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin, ether, dogecoin cracked nearly 10% today. Here is why - Mint - July 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin needs a 'new type of institutional investor' to bring price back up - Yahoo Finance - July 10th, 2021
- 123-Year-Old Hydroelectric Plant Sees New Life Mining Bitcoin Revenue 3x Higher Than Selling to the Grid Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 10th, 2021
- Guidelines That Will Assist You In Picking The Flawless Bitcoin Trading Platform! - Santa Clarita Valley Signal - July 10th, 2021
- Why El Salvador Is Giving Every Citizen $30 in Bitcoin ... - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoins Mid-$30,000 Struggle And $2.87 Billion Crypto Whale Spike - Forbes - July 7th, 2021
- This Is The Key Level To Reignite The Bitcoin Rally - Forbes - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin price above $34,000 as places accepting cryptocurrency rises - Fox Business - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices have crashed, but CoinBase stock may still double: analyst - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- Don't be surprised if ether takes over bitcoin as the dominant digital store of value, Goldman Sachs says - Markets Insider - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin.org Hit With DDoS Attack, Bitcoin Demanded as Ransom - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2021
- Bitcoin set for weekly fall as price dips to end the week - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- Spartan Mosquito Accepts Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies From Countries Worldwide - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2021
- We Just Ripped The Pin Out Of The GrenadeRadical New Bitcoin Company Issues Stark Coinbase Price Warning - Forbes - July 5th, 2021
- Ransomware Is the IRS of Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - July 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin had a wildly volatile first half. Here are 5 of the biggest risks ahead - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- The SEC should have approved a bitcoin ETF a long time ago, regulator Peirce says - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- Bitcoin's Regulatory Future Is Darkening. Wall Street Still Likes the Business. - Barron's - July 5th, 2021
- Boom, bust and bewildered: Bitcoin's year so far - Reuters - July 5th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on July 4: Bitcoin up, Ethereum sees biggest jump at 2.35% - Moneycontrol.com - July 5th, 2021
- Marathon Digital Reports 17% Increase in Bitcoin Production for June - Yahoo Finance - July 5th, 2021
- What to know about investing in bitcoin trusts - CNBC - July 5th, 2021
- Here's What Bill Gates Has to Say About Bitcoin - The Motley Fool - July 5th, 2021
- JPMorgan Predicts When Bitcoin Bear Market Will Be Over Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 5th, 2021
- Tom Brady admits his 'laser eyes' didn't work on the bitcoin trade - CNBC - June 28th, 2021