In light of Beto ORourkes viral comment, Hell, yes, were going to take your AR-15, many residents in Hood County became concerned about where local law enforcement stood on the issue.
I have people ask me all the time, What are you going to do to protect my gun? Are you gonna work with the feds to take my AR-15? said Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds a few weeks ago. Were not. Were not going to do that. Im going to work with the court. Were going to try to pass a sanctuary county bill.
On October 8, the Hood County Commissioners Court passed a resolution declaring a Second Amendment sanctuary county for gun-owners by vowing not to enforce any unconstitutional firearm laws that could be enacted by the state or federal government.
I overwhelmingly support this initiative, said state Rep. Mike Lang (R-Granbury), chair of the House Freedom Caucus, and it would not have been possible without the courageous support of Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds who has championed the issue and who would ultimately, along with the people, be the one to ensure the measure is enforced.
Deeds push for Hood County to become a sanctuary county for the Second Amendment follows in the footsteps of four other Texas counties to pass such resolutions.
Get started today for free and become the most informed Texan you know after your first month, it's just $9.00.
Edwards County passed the first resolution in Texas in June 2018. The official Facebook account for the county published a photo of the document along with a post arguing that the number of gun-related deaths is small compared to other fatalities.
If the anti-gun movement focused their attention on heart disease, the post reads, even a 10 percent decrease in cardiac deaths would save twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.).
The resolution, signed by the county judge and three of the four commissioners, stated that any gun law violating the federal or state constitutions would be viewed as unconstitutional by the commissioners court and that it would not authorize any enforcement of those laws.
Several potential laws were specifically mentioned, including registration requirements for existing lawfully owned firearms, prohibitions, regulations, and/or use restrictions related to ownership of non-fully automatic firearms, and expanded background checks.
Not quite a year after Edwards County passed their resolution, other counties in Texas began to follow suit.
In March 2019, Hudspeth County became a sanctuary county at the request of Sheriff Arvin West; the Democratic Commissioners Court in Presidio County made that county one in July; and Mitchell County joined the growing number in September.
Proponents of the measure point out that in some placesespecially in rural areas police officers can take up to an hour to respond to 911 calls. In such places, owning a gun is the most reliable means of self-defense.
Supporters want assurance that local law enforcement will not encroach on their constitutionally protected rights if ORourkes gun confiscation policies or, more likely, red flag laws or Lt. Gov. Dan Patricks suggestion of expanded background checks are enacted.
Not all counties are embracing the idea, though. Three court commissioners in Brewster County, which neighbors Presidio County along the Texas-Mexico border, blocked the proposal in September to become a sanctuary for gun owners.
According to Marfa Public Radio, Brewster County Commissioner Sara Colando said that she was afraid the resolution would put the county in dicey legal territory.
The first Texas counties passing the resolution are certainly not among the first counties in the nation, though. Over half of the counties in Colorado, Illinois, New Mexico, and Washington have passed resolutions to become Second Amendment sanctuaries.
Those states have seen stricter gun regulations in recent years.
The New Mexico legislature, for instance, passed a bill to expand background checks and looked into implementing some form of a red flag law.
According to Reuters, Sheriff Tony Mace of Cibola County said that he did not want to waste resources enforcing the new background check regulations.
There are whole sanctuary county, city, and state movements, and those are essentially saying Hey, we can shield immigrants from the federal law, Mace told Pacific Standard. Theyre picking and choosing which laws they want to follow as a state, so were thinking as a county, why cant we take this back to our commissioners and say were going to draft a resolution that says our counties are Second Amendment sanctuary counties.
With the support of the New Mexico Sheriffs Association, chaired by Mace, 25 out of the states 33 counties have passed some sort of resolution.
Gun restriction laws in other states may have prompted the majority of counties there to pass the Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions, but the four Texas counties becoming sanctuaries this year could be a sign that Texans are concerned that their right to bear arms is also threatened by politicians here.
A free bi-weekly commentary on current events by Konni Burton.
Here is the original post:
Sheriff Leads Charge for Hood County to Become Fifth 'Second Amendment Sanctuary' in Texas - The Texan
- SCOTUS Is Hearing Its First Big Gun Case in 9 Years. Heres How It Might Play Out. - The Trace - November 27th, 2019
- The Supreme Court Shouldn't Disrupt the Judicial Consensus on the Second Amendment - brennancenter.org - November 27th, 2019
- Collin County Passes Resolution Supporting the Second Amendment - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - November 27th, 2019
- Hundreds of residents turn out to support 'Second Amendment Sanctuary' in Bedford County - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 27th, 2019
- Williams: The "Second Amendment Sanctuary" movement is a sham. But more local control is a good idea. - Richmond.com - November 27th, 2019
- Fannin County joins other Texas counties as Second Amendment sanctuary movement - KXII-TV - November 27th, 2019
- "Meet Me in the Middle" Podcast on the Second Amendment - Reason - November 27th, 2019
- Former Brady Campaign President Dan Gross, Stands with Second Amendment Supporters - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - November 27th, 2019
- 19 States Now Have Counties with Second Amendment Sanctuaries in Place - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - November 27th, 2019
- LETTERS: City driving habits are awful; impact of the Second Amendment - Colorado Springs Gazette - November 27th, 2019
- Readers sound off on ad hominem attacks, the Second Amendment, and Mutts (again) - New York Daily News - November 27th, 2019
- Augusta County Board of Supervisors schedules special meeting to discuss second amendment sanctuary - WHSV - November 27th, 2019
- Florence County becomes first Second Amendment Sanctuary County in Wisconsin - UpperMichigansSource.com - November 17th, 2019
- Self-proclaimed Second Amendment auditor bonds out of jail after judge refuses bond reduction - KFOR Oklahoma City - November 17th, 2019
- Florida county is first in the state to become a 'Second Amendment Sanctuary' - Yahoo News - November 17th, 2019
- Original intent and the Second Amendment - Post Register - November 17th, 2019
- Kaufman, Palo Pinto, and Stephens Counties Become Second Amendment Sanctuaries - The Texan - November 17th, 2019
- Readers sound off on New York Health Act, the Second Amendment and the Mets - New York Daily News - November 17th, 2019
- Speaking at the House of Amazon, Joe Biden gently raises companys role in middle-class job losses - Seattle Times - November 17th, 2019
- Opinion/Letter: 2nd Amendment was all about militia - The Daily Progress - October 27th, 2019
- Go Plinking. The Second Amendment Depends On It. - Shooting Illustrated - October 27th, 2019
- Former NC Justice Orr to speak on 2nd Amendment - BlueRidgeNow.com - October 27th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor | Second Amendment is under attack - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette - October 27th, 2019
- Opinion: What the gun lobby gets wrong about the Second Amendment - Middletown Press - October 27th, 2019
- Chatting With The Speakers Of The 2nd Amendment Rally - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - October 27th, 2019
- Jefferson and Sevier Counties added to the list of Tennessee 'gun sanctuaries' - WBIR.com - October 27th, 2019
- Don't Judge Me: Why We Need the Second Amendment - The Beacon - October 27th, 2019
- RICAGV: Tiverton voters recall town councilors who championed 'second amendment sanctuary' resolution - Uprise RI - October 27th, 2019
- As election nears, candidates in Lynchburg-area delegate contests offer competing messages on gun reform - Lynchburg News and Advance - October 27th, 2019
- What's standing in the way of new gun restrictions in Texas? Here are the key players - Times Record News - October 27th, 2019
- UK Terror Serves as a Warning to United States: Protect The 2nd Amendment! - Newstalk1290 - October 27th, 2019
- Van Ens: Hit the Second Amendment's bull's-eye - Vail Daily News - October 20th, 2019
- Why Don't People and Vogue Celebrate the Second Amendment? - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - October 20th, 2019
- Gun advocates seek 'friend' to take over Fish and Game - The Union Leader - October 20th, 2019
- 2020 Dem candidate opposes mandatory gun buybacks not because of the 2nd Amendment, but because of police brutality - TheBlaze - October 20th, 2019
- Sturbridge gun rights advocate is Blogger of the Year - Worcester Telegram - October 20th, 2019
- The art of the boast: Trump's a master - Star Tribune - October 20th, 2019
- Marianne Preger-Simon: Why is half of the Second Amendment ignored? - GazetteNET - October 16th, 2019
- Opinion: What the gun lobby gets wrong about the 2nd Amendment - Los Angeles Times - October 16th, 2019
- CEO talks second amendment freedom - The Branding Iron - October 16th, 2019
- Weiser: Sheriffs Will Enforce Red Flag Orders When Faced With Reality Of Dangerous People - Colorado Public Radio - October 16th, 2019
- Attend the 2nd Amendment Rally: November 2, 2019 - NOQ Report - October 16th, 2019
- Grassroots Spotlight: NRA-ILA Fighting the Bloomberg Money In Virginia 2019 Elections - NRA ILA - October 16th, 2019
- Supreme Court gun case: the biggest Second Amendment case in years - Vox.com - September 29th, 2019
- Opinion/Letter: 'Militia' key to 2nd Amendment - The Daily Progress - September 29th, 2019
- '2nd Amendment Rally' Planned Nov. 2 in Washington, DC - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - September 29th, 2019
- Gregory L. Schmidt: The true meaning and purpose of the Second Amendment - Madison.com - September 29th, 2019
- The second amendment was about national security - Herald Review - September 29th, 2019
- 'Federalist Papers' explain the Second Amendment | News, Sports, Jobs - Maui News - September 29th, 2019
- What's At Stake In The Guns Case At The Supreme Court? - KCUR - September 29th, 2019
- Q&A of the Day Supreme Court's ruling regarding the 2nd Amendment - On Air With Ryan Seacrest - September 29th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor: Rebuttal to letter about the Second Amendment - Northern Virginia Daily - September 29th, 2019
- Join Us for the 2019 NRA-ILA Firearms Law & The Second Amendment Symposium Next Saturday October 5th - NRA ILA - September 29th, 2019
- Breyer: Second Amendment Not About 'the Right of an Individual to Keep a Gun Next to His Bed' - PJ Media - August 25th, 2017
- D.C. attorney general wants federal judges to look at city's strict gun ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- 'The Gun Guy': Radio host Guy Relford defends 2nd amendment from Carmel office - Current in Carmel - August 22nd, 2017
- After Charlottesville, the First and Second Amendments Are Under Fire - National Review - August 20th, 2017
- ACLU Refuses to Defend Protesters Exercising First and Second Amendments Together - Breitbart News - August 20th, 2017
- Second Amendment | Wyoming County Free Press - Wyoming County Free Press - August 18th, 2017
- Ban the Open Carry of Firearms - New York Times - August 18th, 2017
- Armed private militias like Charlottesville's offend the Founding Fathers' intent: This is not what the Second ... - New York Daily News - August 16th, 2017
- Collins says his bill would restore New Yorkers' Second Amendment rights - Wyoming County Free Press - August 16th, 2017
- The Guns Won - Slate Magazine - August 15th, 2017
- State faces lawsuit over guns in foster homes - WSYM-TV - August 15th, 2017
- Commentary: The dangerous new threat to gun ownership: 'Gun Violence Taxes' - Elko Daily Free Press - August 15th, 2017
- Second Amendment Author and Attorney Documents Lethal Government Actions - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - August 13th, 2017
- Collins: My bill would restore New Yorkers' 2nd Amendment rights - Lockport Union-Sun & Journal - August 13th, 2017
- Foster Families Torn Apart By Anti-Second Amendment Regulations - America's 1st Freedom (press release) (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Gun Control: How To Solve The Second Amendment - Mintpress News (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Shock: Gun Control Icon Defends Second Amendment Rights of Grandparents Targeted in Michigan - Breitbart News - August 9th, 2017
- Second Amendment insight - Winona Post - August 8th, 2017
- NRA-ILA | Second Amendment Guarantee Act Would Protect ... - NRA ILA - August 8th, 2017
- 2nd Amendment Foundation Issues Travel Advisory: Your Gun Rights Are No Good in California - Breitbart News - August 8th, 2017
- D.C.'s concealed-carry regulations just suffered a shot across the ... - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- U.S. Senate Candidate Pulls Out Gun at GOP Meeting to Prove He Is ... - Breitbart News - August 6th, 2017
- Smart guns and SAGA. The Second Amendment fight drags on - Hot Air - August 6th, 2017
- What happens when a Texas 2nd Amendment woman meets New York City? - SOFREP (press release) (subscription) - August 6th, 2017
- The Second Amendment Has Won (Again) In Washington. So Why ... - Fox News - August 5th, 2017
- The Second Amendment Won in Washington; Why Won't the Supreme Court Enforce It? - Patriot Post - August 4th, 2017
- Historic Battle of Athens Shows Importance of Second Amendment - Newsmax - August 4th, 2017