In light of Beto ORourkes viral comment, Hell, yes, were going to take your AR-15, many residents in Hood County became concerned about where local law enforcement stood on the issue.
I have people ask me all the time, What are you going to do to protect my gun? Are you gonna work with the feds to take my AR-15? said Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds a few weeks ago. Were not. Were not going to do that. Im going to work with the court. Were going to try to pass a sanctuary county bill.
On October 8, the Hood County Commissioners Court passed a resolution declaring a Second Amendment sanctuary county for gun-owners by vowing not to enforce any unconstitutional firearm laws that could be enacted by the state or federal government.
I overwhelmingly support this initiative, said state Rep. Mike Lang (R-Granbury), chair of the House Freedom Caucus, and it would not have been possible without the courageous support of Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds who has championed the issue and who would ultimately, along with the people, be the one to ensure the measure is enforced.
Deeds push for Hood County to become a sanctuary county for the Second Amendment follows in the footsteps of four other Texas counties to pass such resolutions.
Get started today for free and become the most informed Texan you know after your first month, it's just $9.00.
Edwards County passed the first resolution in Texas in June 2018. The official Facebook account for the county published a photo of the document along with a post arguing that the number of gun-related deaths is small compared to other fatalities.
If the anti-gun movement focused their attention on heart disease, the post reads, even a 10 percent decrease in cardiac deaths would save twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.).
The resolution, signed by the county judge and three of the four commissioners, stated that any gun law violating the federal or state constitutions would be viewed as unconstitutional by the commissioners court and that it would not authorize any enforcement of those laws.
Several potential laws were specifically mentioned, including registration requirements for existing lawfully owned firearms, prohibitions, regulations, and/or use restrictions related to ownership of non-fully automatic firearms, and expanded background checks.
Not quite a year after Edwards County passed their resolution, other counties in Texas began to follow suit.
In March 2019, Hudspeth County became a sanctuary county at the request of Sheriff Arvin West; the Democratic Commissioners Court in Presidio County made that county one in July; and Mitchell County joined the growing number in September.
Proponents of the measure point out that in some placesespecially in rural areas police officers can take up to an hour to respond to 911 calls. In such places, owning a gun is the most reliable means of self-defense.
Supporters want assurance that local law enforcement will not encroach on their constitutionally protected rights if ORourkes gun confiscation policies or, more likely, red flag laws or Lt. Gov. Dan Patricks suggestion of expanded background checks are enacted.
Not all counties are embracing the idea, though. Three court commissioners in Brewster County, which neighbors Presidio County along the Texas-Mexico border, blocked the proposal in September to become a sanctuary for gun owners.
According to Marfa Public Radio, Brewster County Commissioner Sara Colando said that she was afraid the resolution would put the county in dicey legal territory.
The first Texas counties passing the resolution are certainly not among the first counties in the nation, though. Over half of the counties in Colorado, Illinois, New Mexico, and Washington have passed resolutions to become Second Amendment sanctuaries.
Those states have seen stricter gun regulations in recent years.
The New Mexico legislature, for instance, passed a bill to expand background checks and looked into implementing some form of a red flag law.
According to Reuters, Sheriff Tony Mace of Cibola County said that he did not want to waste resources enforcing the new background check regulations.
There are whole sanctuary county, city, and state movements, and those are essentially saying Hey, we can shield immigrants from the federal law, Mace told Pacific Standard. Theyre picking and choosing which laws they want to follow as a state, so were thinking as a county, why cant we take this back to our commissioners and say were going to draft a resolution that says our counties are Second Amendment sanctuary counties.
With the support of the New Mexico Sheriffs Association, chaired by Mace, 25 out of the states 33 counties have passed some sort of resolution.
Gun restriction laws in other states may have prompted the majority of counties there to pass the Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions, but the four Texas counties becoming sanctuaries this year could be a sign that Texans are concerned that their right to bear arms is also threatened by politicians here.
A free bi-weekly commentary on current events by Konni Burton.
Here is the original post:
Sheriff Leads Charge for Hood County to Become Fifth 'Second Amendment Sanctuary' in Texas - The Texan
- Black and white Americans are embracing the Second Amendment - The Boston Globe - June 24th, 2020
- Groups Exercise First, Second Amendment Rights in Peaceful Gatherings - wevv.com - June 24th, 2020
- Leave the Guns At Home - Flathead Beacon - June 24th, 2020
- Considering the role of Trump in Virginia's 2nd Congressional District - 13newsnow.com WVEC - June 24th, 2020
- India-Nepal Bilateral Relations Slide: Perspective From Kathmandu - Council on Foreign Relations - June 24th, 2020
- SEBI notifies Substantial Acquisition of Shares and Takeovers (Second Amendment) Regulations, 2020 - taxscan.in - June 24th, 2020
- Does the Second Amendment prohibit slavery? Reason.com - Reason - June 20th, 2020
- Why Did the Roberts Court Punt on Ten Second Amendment Cases? - National Review - June 20th, 2020
- Letter: Jeff Gallahan is the real deal on Second Amendment - MPNnow.com - June 20th, 2020
- Consultations on TAR NC and second amendment to Gas System Charges Ordinance - International Law Office - June 20th, 2020
- Fact check: George Washington misquoted on the need for arms and ammunition - Reuters - June 20th, 2020
- STAR bond sale approved to finance project amendments - The Derby Informer - June 20th, 2020
- The Roberts' Supreme Court Will Not Defend The Second Amendment! - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - June 20th, 2020
- Trump, Tulsa and the demise of Lincolns Republican Party - USA TODAY - June 20th, 2020
- How Donald Trump Abused the Second Amendment - Yahoo News - June 18th, 2020
- Police Funding, Second Amendment Discussed at Kalispell Council - Flathead Beacon - June 18th, 2020
- Voices of the Peninsula: The Second Amendment needs no sanctuary - Kenai Peninsula Online - June 18th, 2020
- Trump calls Supreme Court rulings 'shotgun blasts into the face' of Republicans, conservatives - CNBC - June 18th, 2020
- Lawsuit against New Mexico governor dropped after firearm retailers allowed to reopen - The Center Square - June 18th, 2020
- 2 Polk charter amendments, tax break will be on Nov. 3 ballot - The Ledger - June 18th, 2020
- Bikers And Second Amendment Groups Crashed A Black Lives Matter Protest In A Small Town And Violence Broke Out - BuzzFeed News - June 18th, 2020
- NRA Foundation Auctions Firearms for Father's Day - America's 1st Freedom - June 18th, 2020
- When it comes to guns, the justices duck - Washington Examiner - June 18th, 2020
- How 6 blocks in Seattle became a microcosm of the culture wars - POLITICO - June 18th, 2020
- Amendment to our Second Amendment - Villages-News - May 23rd, 2020
- It Wouldn't Be an American Reopening Without an Unfortunate Exercise of Second Amendment Freedom - Esquire - May 23rd, 2020
- America's Two Kinds of Justice | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - May 23rd, 2020
- Like it or not, much of the Constitution subject to interpretation| The Civics Project - Florida Today - May 23rd, 2020
- Meet the Republicans looking to unseat Sen. Mark Warner - Richmond.com - May 23rd, 2020
- American violence in the time of coronavirus (Armed and contagious) High Country News Know the West - High Country News - May 23rd, 2020
- FIRST ON CBS7: Open Carry Texas VP threatening to come back to Odessa to "stand up to this ol' boy" Sheriff Griffis - CBS7 News - May 23rd, 2020
- The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America - The Suburban Times - May 14th, 2020
- Second Amendment doesn't give people the right to carry guns at rallies - Laurinburg Exchange - May 14th, 2020
- Second Amendment does not give people right to carry guns at rallies - The Robesonian - May 14th, 2020
- Second Amendment Group Says Decision To Stop Fingerprinting Is Infringing Their Rights - CT News Junkie - May 14th, 2020
- Leaves Before Paying the Check - The New York Times - May 14th, 2020
- Second Amendment | Contents, Supreme Court Interpretations ... - May 11th, 2020
- Letter: All amendments matter, not just the 2nd Amendment - Northwest Herald - May 11th, 2020
- RIVERA on REOPENING plans Virus sparks call to expand SICK LEAVE Barnstable won't 'WRITE OFF SUMMER' - Politico - May 11th, 2020
- 'Ahead of its time': 2020 marks 15th anniversary of Indiana's red flag law - Indiana Daily Student - May 11th, 2020
- 'Indeed, they are coming to take your guns' - coloradopolitics.com - April 11th, 2020
- Grassroots Networking In These Unique Times - NRA ILA - April 11th, 2020
- The Conservative Candidates Vying To Lead Chicagos Police Union Support The Mayors Pick For Top Cop - WBEZ - April 11th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: Constitutional rights are inalienable, not imaginary - Paso Robles Daily News - April 11th, 2020
- Letters: Don't release inmates; Not all are allowed on beach; First Amendment rights at risk - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - April 11th, 2020
- Below The Radar: S Res 110 - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - April 11th, 2020
- Gun-rights advocates protest closure of shooting ranges in R.I. - The Providence Journal - March 24th, 2020
- Below the Radar: The Kimberly Vaughan Firearm Safe Storage Act - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - March 24th, 2020
- The National Rifle Association is Laying Off Staff, Cutting Salaries and Reducing Hours Amid COVID-19 Outbreak - Newsweek - March 24th, 2020
- Senate closes week with flurry of action - The Ottawa Herald - March 24th, 2020
- NRA goes on the offensive after Senate Democrat attacks its latest ad featuring a cancer survivor as sickening - TheBlaze - March 24th, 2020
- Gun dealers are not considered an essential business, and theyre not happy about it - NJ.com - March 24th, 2020
- Taking time to think | News, Sports, Jobs - Marquette Mining Journal - March 24th, 2020
- A new Super PAC wants to raise $1 million to re-elect Rep. Collin Peterson. It's already halfway there - MinnPost - March 24th, 2020
- Remaining Democrat Candidates All Oppose the Second Amendment - America's 1st Freedom - March 5th, 2020
- The Mysterious Meaning of the Second Amendment - The Atlantic - March 5th, 2020
- When Protestors Carry Guns, Does It Impede Others Free Speech? - The Trace - March 5th, 2020
- James Woods Blasts Schumer: 'The Founding Fathers Wrote The Second Amendment For Violent Haters Like Chuck Schumer' - The Daily Wire - March 5th, 2020
- Companies Second Amendment Bill 2019 To Enable Listing Of Indian Companies On Exchanges In Foreign Jurisdictions - Business Standard - March 5th, 2020
- Debate is Over Concerning This Part of the Second Amendment? - Townhall - March 5th, 2020
- Enzi introduces amendments to encourage production of rare earth elements - Wyoming Tribune - March 5th, 2020
- Washington Borough Council should take a stand on our Second Amendment rights | Letter - lehighvalleylive.com - February 27th, 2020
- Nebraska Governor Ricketts Openly Supports Second Amendment and Open Carry - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - February 27th, 2020
- Focus Editorial: Otter Tail is wise to tap brakes on 'Second Amendment sanctuary' vote - Perham Focus - February 27th, 2020
- Conservative caucus: Gun registration bill threatens 2nd Amendment - Southernminn.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bernie Missed His Opportunity on the Second Amendment [OPINION] - wbsm.com - February 27th, 2020
- Lawmaker files resolution that would make TN a 2nd amendment 'sanctuary' - WBIR.com - February 27th, 2020
- Governor Andrew Cuomo's Safe Act: A Work In Progress To Destroy The Second Amendment - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - February 27th, 2020
- OTC board talks open forum, 2nd Amendment sanctuary not discussed - Southernminn.com - February 27th, 2020
- 2As of the Second Amendment, Comments by David Reece, CEO AR500 Armor ~ VIDEO - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - February 27th, 2020
- 2nd Amendment resolution on GT board agenda | Local News - Traverse City Record Eagle - February 27th, 2020
- Gun Coalition Wants Oconee County To Be 2nd Amendment Sanctuary - Patch.com - February 27th, 2020
- New Mexico's governor signed a red flag gun measure into law and urged sheriffs to enforce it or resign - CNN - February 27th, 2020
- Britt wants Robeson as Second Amendment Sanctuary - The Robesonian - January 23rd, 2020
- Newaygo County citizens petition board to become '2nd amendment sanctuary county' - Fox17 - January 23rd, 2020
- LETTER: NY state law defies Second Amendment and right to bear arms - The Daily Freeman - January 23rd, 2020
- Fighting off assaults on Second Amendment | News, Sports, Jobs - Minot Daily News - January 23rd, 2020
- Prosecutor, sheriff concerned over Second Amendment sanctuary resolution - Sentinel-Standard - January 23rd, 2020
- Gaston Commissioners to vote on Second Amendment sanctuary proposal - Gaston Gazette - January 23rd, 2020
- What I Saw At The Richmond Second Amendment Rally - The Federalist - January 23rd, 2020