The separation of the judiciary from other organs of the state remains elusive even after 50 years of Bangladeshs independence as successive governments have amended the constitution to control the judiciary.
Legal experts said that Article 96 of the constitution on the removal of Supreme Court judges for misbehaviour or incapacity was amended on eight occasions between January 1975 and September 2014 while Article 116 on the control and discipline of the lower judiciary was amended on three occasions in 1975, 1979 and 2011.
It is painful that we are deprived of getting full independence of the judiciary from the executive, even though the establishment of an independent judiciary was one of the core objectives of our 1972 constitution, Dhaka University law professor Md Mizanur Rahman told New Age.
Although the law ministry is consulting with the Supreme Court to deal with administrative affairs in the subordinate judiciary, questions can be raised on how much the consultation is effective, he added.
He said that it is not a good sign for a democracy and such deviations bring no blessings for a country and a nation. When the judiciary is kept under the executive, democracy the first casualty, he pointed out.
The power to remove SC judges was vested in the president through the parliament in 1972, then in January 1975, through the Fourth Amendment to the constitution, the president became the sole arbiter.
Later in 1977, the president and the chief martial law administrator were authorised to exercise the power through the chief justice-led Supreme Judicial Council and the system of Supreme Judicial Council was ratified by the fifth amendment to the constitution in 1979, and the power was again vested in the chief martial law administrator in 1983.
All the martial law proclamations, including the Supreme Judicial Council of the fifth amendment, were revived through martial law proclamation in 1986 with the power vested in the chief martial law administrator.
All the martial law proclamations were declared unconstitutional by the High Court on August 29, 2005 in a Bangladesh Italian Marble Works Ltd case, but the Appellate Division in February 2010 retained the Supreme Judicial Council until December 31, 2012 with the observation that the parliament would make necessary amendment to the constitution regarding issues related to the Article 96.
On June 30, 2011, the parliament upheld the Supreme Judicial Council by amending the constitution through the 15th amendment.
In 2014, the government through the 16th amendment vested the power again in the parliament but the High Court on May 5, 2016 declared 16th amendment unconstitutional and restored the Supreme Judicial Council and the Appellate Division to upheld the HC verdict on July 3, 2017.
Jurist Shahdeen Malik told New Age that though the government has yet to amend the constitution to restore the Supreme Judicial Council on the ground that its appeal against the Supreme Courts ruling awaits a hearing, the online version of the constitution incorporated the parliaments authority to remove SC judges.
He said that the separation of the lower judiciary from the law ministry on November 1, 2007 remained on paper because the ministry continued influencing the subordinate judiciary.
He said that the process of recruitments of SC judges was not transparent and partisanship became the norm since early 2000 as no law has been framed yet to set up the qualifications of the judges as per Article 95 of the constitution.
Consequently, there are always some doubts in independent functioning of the higher judiciary, he said.
There is dual control of subordinate judges by the law ministry and the Supreme Court, said Shahdeen, who also added that the law ministry should not have any control over the judiciary as per the constitution.
Although the judiciary has been developed on paper, the independence of the judiciary could not be achieved in reality, SC lawyer and right activist Md Asaduzzaman said.
He said that the judiciary became relatively weaker and more affected since former chief justice Surendra Kumar Sinha was removed as it is him who penned the 16th amendment verdict in 2017.
Judges have been appointed on the political choice of the governments in absence of any law or rules and this is why the higher judiciary has become questionable sometimes, he said.
Asaduzzaman said that the partisan judgements on this occasion come from the judges.
He said that the government wanted to control the judges without making any law for setting out qualifications for Supreme Court judges.
The Appellate Division in the 16th amendment case also restored Articles 115 and 116 from the 1972 constitution.
The governments petition seeking a review of the 16th amendment verdict still awaits a hearing.
The authority of control and discipline of judges and magistrates shall vest in the Supreme Court as per Article 116 of the 1972 constitution.
The Supreme Court lost the authority as the government vested the authority in the president amending the constitution through the fourth amendment.
The Supreme Court lost its authority over lower court judges after the Appellate Division upheld the High Courts verdict that had declared the fifth amendment unconstitutional.
On June 30, 2011, the government restored the fifth amendment provision relating to Article 115 and 116 paying no heed to the Appellate Divisions observation in its verdict on the fifth amendment to reinstate original Articles 115 and 116.
Article 115(1) of the 1972 constitution empowered the president to appoint district judges on the recommendations of the Supreme Court and other persons after consultation of the Public Service Commission and the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court also lost the authority to appoint district judges and magistrates as the government through the fourth amendment empowered the president to exercise the power in accordance with rules made by him.
The president still retained the power.
- The Supreme Court Further Expands The Definition Of A Physical - Mondaq News Alerts - August 2nd, 2021
- The Supreme Court Further Expands the Definition of a Physical Taking of Property That Violates Fifth Amendment Protections - JD Supra - August 2nd, 2021
- Judge expected to rule Wednesday whether to charge Mensah in on-duty shooting - WISN Milwaukee - August 2nd, 2021
- Vaccine opponents appear increasingly confused about HIPAA - MSNBC - August 2nd, 2021
- Opinion: Elections are the worst method of picking judges except for all the others - Houston Chronicle - August 2nd, 2021
- FBI and Detroit police taught 'White Boy Rick' the drug game then double-crossed him, he says. Now, he wants $100 million - WDJT - August 2nd, 2021
- Trevor Bauers Hearing Strategy Is A Trial In The Court of Public Opinion - Beyond the Box Score - July 27th, 2021
- Erika Jayne's Husband Thomas Girardi To Plead The Fifth As Part Of Embezzlement Investigation - Radar Online - July 27th, 2021
- Gov. Cuomo: New Yorkers will be shocked when they hear facts of AGs harassment investigation - RochesterFirst - July 27th, 2021
- Fianc of victim in Rodney Reed case testifies, waives right to attorney - KXAN.com - July 27th, 2021
- What Is HIPAA and How Does the Law Work? - The New York Times - July 27th, 2021
- How Sha'Carri Richardson Can Sue Her Way Back Into the Olympics - The Daily Beast - July 27th, 2021
- QUICK BRAG AS I RECOVER FROM THE PALOOZA: Court in NY Says Hunstein Doesnt survive Ramirez and I Told You So - TCPAWorld.com - July 27th, 2021
- Money & the Law: With every rule there seems to be an exception - Denver Gazette - July 18th, 2021
- The Chase County Courthouse is a Kansas icon. The jail in its shadow is a disgrace. - Kansas Reflector - July 18th, 2021
- Gary Pearce: UNC and the debate over dissent - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - July 18th, 2021
- This is my land and I plan on keeping it Monroe County families trying to fight TVAs eminent domain - WATE 6 On Your Side - July 18th, 2021
- A Supreme Court ruling that's right out of the 19th century - Raw Story - July 18th, 2021
- What Does Bill Cosbys Overturned Conviction Mean for Your Fifth Amendment Rights Against Self-Incrimination? - JD Supra - July 16th, 2021
- Wisk Submits Evidence Claiming Massive Theft and Archer's Use of Wisk Trade Secrets, as Archer Engineer Pleads the Fifth - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2021
- Give And Take: How The U.S. Supreme Courts Ruling In Cedar Point Nursery v. Hassid May Impact Rhode Islanders Who Own Property Abutting Public Lands -... - July 16th, 2021
- Ink Blog: The Supreme Court & the Constitution in 2021 - Ashland Daily Press - July 16th, 2021
- Man convicted of sex crime on Colo. tribal reservation appeals to SCOTUS - coloradopolitics.com - July 16th, 2021
- Federal Circuit Reverses CIT's Decision on the President's Ability to Modify Section 232 Tariffs - Lexology - July 16th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Property rights should be considered human rights - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - July 16th, 2021
- GARY PEARCE: UNC and the debate over dissent - WRAL.com - July 16th, 2021
- NCLA Appeals to First Circuit Over IRSs Unlawfully Seizing Cryptocurrency Data of Thousands - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- What the US Government Brief Should Have Said in Al-Hela: On Guantanamo and Due Process - Just Security - July 16th, 2021
- Update On Union Access To Property - Employment and HR - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - July 16th, 2021
- The Right To Be Let Alone: What To Do When COVID Strike Force Teams Come Knocking OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 16th, 2021
- Kristin Smart's accused killer Paul Flores' charges amended to include two allegations of rape in LA - Californianewstimes.com - July 16th, 2021
- Cosby case rips open wounds that just won't heal. Here's why. - York Daily Record - July 16th, 2021
- Norris Burkes: The case of the stolen freedoms - Charleston Post Courier - July 5th, 2021
- Why was Bill Cosby released from prison after being found guilty of drugging and molesting woman? - MassLive.com - July 5th, 2021
- Pennsylvania court was right to overturn Cosbys conviction - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2021
- Bruce Castor, before and after Cosby: Trump, insurrection, and Katheleen Kane - On top of Philly news - Billy Penn - July 2nd, 2021
- Where's Lucy? Sham teen marriage and felony charges featured in case of missing St. Charles County girl - KSDK.com - July 2nd, 2021
- A lawyer for Ghislaine Maxwell says she should be set free like Bill Cosby was, but legal experts say that's highly unlikely - Yahoo News - July 2nd, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Why Bill Cosbys conviction was overturned - WKRG News 5 - July 2nd, 2021
- The Courts and Healthcare Policy - July 2021 | McGuireWoods Consulting - JDSupra - JD Supra - July 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Where is our Fifth Amendment? | Letters To Editor | berkshireeagle.com - Berkshire Eagle - June 28th, 2021
- Joe Biden and the Blessed Sacrament | Napolitano - New Jersey Herald - June 28th, 2021
- Recapping Wednesday's Cases, and Predicting the Remaining 8 Cases - Reason - June 28th, 2021
- Supreme Court Finds Fifth Amendment Taking in State Regulation Granting Access to Private Property - JD Supra - June 27th, 2021
- Villager's son wants judge yanked from case in legal fight over mask mandate - Villages-News - June 27th, 2021
- Biden and the Sacrament | News, Sports, Jobs - Gloversville Leader-Herald - June 27th, 2021
- A Philly man was cleared of murder after 34 years by evidence that was in the police file all along - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 27th, 2021
- Devin Nunes's Libel Lawyering, Employee Witnesses, and the Privilege Against Self-Incrimination - Reason - June 20th, 2021
- American Samoans are the latest victims of these ignorant Supreme Court rulings - MSNBC - June 20th, 2021
- Critical race theory has proved divisive. What is it? - theday.com - June 20th, 2021
- Murder Defendant Martin Takes the Stand on His Defense - wkdzradio.com - June 20th, 2021
- Gov. Abbott Vowed to Build a Wall With Mexico. Texas Borderland Owners Say Not in My Backyard - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 20th, 2021
- Prosecution rests in 2nd trial of officers accused of assaulting Black colleague by again focusing on texts - KSDK.com - June 20th, 2021
- NCLA Lawsuit in Texas Seeks to End SEC's Lifetime Gag Orders that Violate the First Amendment - StreetInsider.com - June 20th, 2021
- In His Wild Bid to Stop Leaks to the Press, Trump Even Spied on His Own Lawyer - Truthout - June 20th, 2021
- Paul Robeson Was One of the Greatest Figures of the 20th Century - Jacobin magazine - June 20th, 2021
- Lorraine Reich: It's more than corporate money in elections - The Union of Grass Valley - June 4th, 2021
- Pharma Bro Martin Shkreli Gets a Slap on the Wrist for Using Contraband Phone to Discuss Pharma Business Behind Bars - Law & Crime - June 4th, 2021
- The FBI Took Their Safe Deposit Box and Everything Inside It. Two Months Later, They're Still Waiting for It To Be Returned. - Reason - June 4th, 2021
- Imprisoned Felon Martin Shkreli Busted For Using Contraband Phone To Discuss Pharma Business With Associates Following Daraprim Scandal - Radar Online - June 4th, 2021
- Citing privacy concerns, Huntsville wont explain why convicted officer is still employed - AL.com - June 4th, 2021
- What the House should quickly do if the January 6 commission fails in the Senate - WTVA - May 27th, 2021
- Trial starts for two men charged in the murder of 8-year-old King William child - 8News - May 27th, 2021
- How to Remember the Difference Between Invoke and Evoke - Lifehacker - May 27th, 2021
- Notable investigations, trials and dates ahead 1 year after George Floyds death - NewsNation Now - May 27th, 2021
- AG's Move to Criminal Probe Is a Red Alert for the Trump Org - The Daily Beast - May 27th, 2021
- Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic Stops - John Whitehead's Commentary Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic... - May 27th, 2021
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Excuse Clear Violation by Police of Black Man's Fifth Amendment Rights: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - May 11th, 2021
- If the Devil of the WTO IP Waiver Is in the Details, What Are the Details? - JD Supra - May 11th, 2021
- Owens v. Brown: How The Navy's Women Won the Right to Serve at Sea - The Maritime Executive - May 11th, 2021
- Why Is the Justice Department Trying To Punish Derek Chauvin Twice? - Reason - May 11th, 2021
- Voice of the People | | hastingstribune.com - Hastings Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Frontenacs to pick fifth overall in OHL Priority Selection - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 11th, 2021
- Trial hits snag for convicted murderer charged in another deadly Youngstown shooting - WKBN.com - April 29th, 2021
- Convention of states blocked in Legislature | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - April 29th, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial: Updates The Spectator - The Spectator - April 29th, 2021
- Morries Hall and the right not to incriminate yourself (Fifth Amendment) - MSR News Online - April 11th, 2021
- Man who was with George Floyd during his arrest pleads the Fifth amid Chauvin trial - KARE11.com - April 11th, 2021
- Floyd's Friend Invokes 5th Amendment Before Testimony Resumes in Chauvin Trial - Voice Of Alexandria - April 11th, 2021
- Officers take the stand on training and protocol; Floyd's friend fears self-incrimination - WXOW.com - April 11th, 2021