Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who was the only senator to oppose a coronavirus relief package last month, announced Sunday that he has tested positive for the virus.
He is feeling fine and is in quarantine, an announcement on his Twitter said. He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to his extensive travel and events.
It added, He expects to be back in the Senate after his quarantine period ends and will continue to work for the people of Kentucky at this difficult time.
In addition to being the only senator to vote against an $8.3 billion emergency coronavirus package, Paul also was one of the eight senators who voted against paid sick leave in a stimulus bill that passed with an overwhelming 90-8 vote last week.
I think that the paid sick leave is an incentive for businesses to actually let go employees and will make unemployment worse, Paul, a physician who has a Kentucky-issued medical license, explained to Newsweek.
CNN reported that Paul closed his Capitol Hill offices over a week ago and urged employees to work from home due to concerns over the coronavirus outbreak. Two people who attended the annual Speed Art Museum ball in Kentucky with the senator on March 7 later tested positive for the virus, according to the Courier-Journal.
But despite reportedly being tested roughly a week ago, Paul continued to interact with colleagues and even worked out at the Senate gymand was swimming in the poolon Sunday morning, shortly before he received his positive test results, Politico reported.
Paul is the first senator to test positive for the novel coronavirus. Two other members of Congress, Reps. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL) and Ben McAdams (D-UT), have also gone public with positive test results.
According to the World Health Organization, COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, is particularly dangerous for people with lung problems. In August 2019, Paul had part of his lung removed after an altercation with his neighbor Rene Boucher. The two had a long-running dispute over lawn care.
On March 2, Paul appeared on Fox News and downplayed the global threat of the coronavirus.
While it is worldwide, I think there is room for optimism that this thing may plateau out in a few weeks and not be as bad it as it may have been portrayed, he said to host Neil Cavuto. Weve seen pockets of this around the world and even in Italy and Iran where we have it, but none of it is approaching what started in China.
When asked about institutions taking larger measures to limit the spread of the virus, Paul was resistant to the idea. I think closing down the Smithsonians would be way too premature and I wouldnt advise something like that.
And when Cavuto asked Paul about making personal adjustments to avoid infection, the Senator was particularly defiant. I mean, I fly all the time and Im not cutting back on my flying... I was on a plane today, he said. I could be wrong and this could be really bad in two or three weeks or a month, but Im hoping its not going to be. Im not ready to buy all the toilet paper at Target.
The senators father, Dr. Ron Paul, a physician and a former Republican congressman from Texas, published an essay called The Coronavirus Hoax last week for the New River Valley News, a local outlet based in Virginia.
People should ask themselves whether this coronavirus pandemic could be a big hoax, with the actual danger of the disease massively exaggerated by those who seek to profitfinancially or politicallyfrom the ensuing panic, the elder Paul wrote.
As of Sunday afternoon, there are 30,000 COVID-19 cases in the U.S., and nearly 400 people have died.
- Senate privacy hawks score a win that delays surveillance renewal - POLITICO - May 14th, 2020
- More Doctors Speak Out AGAINST Face Masks If No Health Benefit, What is the Real Reason They are Mandated? - stopthefud - May 14th, 2020
- Why isnt Ron DeSantis getting as much love as other governors? The Florida Insiders have some ideas - Tampa Bay Times - May 14th, 2020
- The mythic punch of the Lincoln Project's 'Mourning in America' - Religion News Service - May 11th, 2020
- There are religion angles with a presidential run by Michigan Libertarian Justin Amash - GetReligion - May 11th, 2020
- Rivera asked Haskins to trust him and 'it worked out' - NBCSports.com - May 11th, 2020
- Ron Wilson: The rest of the COVID-19 story - Sentinel-Standard - May 11th, 2020
- Susan Collins high-stakes reelection fight and other New England races to watch - The Boston Globe - May 11th, 2020
- Rutgers basketball: Where Ron Harper Jr. ranks among top 2021 NBA Draft prospects - Asbury Park Press - May 11th, 2020
- 6-Banner Sunday: De'Ron Davis and Devonte Green reflect on their time at IU - Inside the Hall - May 11th, 2020
- Rockin' the Riverfront in 1970: As Riverfront Stadium takes shape, so do the Bengals - The Cincinnati Enquirer - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin to the Rescue as Ron Paul Says US Fed Fake Economy Has Burst - Cointelegraph - April 27th, 2020
- Ron Paul Blasts Federal Reserve and Calls for Rebuilding the Economy; Time for Bitcoin? - CryptoGlobe - April 27th, 2020
- PAUL N. CANGIANO - The Times - April 27th, 2020
- What if the 'cure' is worse than the disease? - The Highland County Press - April 24th, 2020
- What the Liberate Protests Really Mean for Republicans - The Atlantic - April 24th, 2020
- Mick Jagger Reacts to Paul McCartney Saying The Beatles Were Better Than The Stones - wmmr.com - April 24th, 2020
- Will the Pandemic Keep Third Parties Off the 2020 Ballot? - Jimmys Post - April 24th, 2020
- Texas Republicans Have Spectacularly Failed the Coronavirus Test - The New York Times - April 18th, 2020
- Former Treasury Secretary and Iraq war critic Paul O'Neill dies at 84 - India Gone Viral - April 18th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Has Coronavirus. He Handled It Badly. - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- Dr. Ron Paul hits the nail on the head in an interview with No-Nonsense Coronavirus - RecentlyHeard.com - March 31st, 2020
- Pandemic: The First Great Crisis of the Post-American Era - National Review - March 31st, 2020
- Rand Paul and the Stench of Entitlement - European Interest - March 31st, 2020
- Kathy Griffin was trying to jump the queue for a COVID test, turning out she had diarrhea after a trip to Mexico. - RecentlyHeard.com - March 31st, 2020
- Against the coronavirus corporate bailout | TheHill - The Hill - March 24th, 2020
- Congressional Candidate Ordered Not to Repeat Charges That Her Opponent Abused His Wife - Reason - February 20th, 2020
- Clinical psychologist explains how Ayn Rand helped turn the US into a selfish and greedy nation - Raw Story - February 20th, 2020
- What We Found On Rand Paul (2020-02-20) - Pop Top News - February 20th, 2020
- Not his first rodeo: Bernie the man to beat in Texas - Standard-Times - February 20th, 2020
- The Rundown on Rand Paul You Need To See (2020-02-19) Pop Top News - Pop Top News - February 20th, 2020
- The Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity : Why I ... - February 3rd, 2020
- How other Minnesotans have fared in Iowa - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 3rd, 2020
- The Unbearable Hypocrisy of US Sanctions on Iran - Antiwar.com - February 3rd, 2020
- Primary Primers: Why we should be cautious of candidate 'surges' - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - February 3rd, 2020
- Here's How Important the Iowa Caucuses Were in Every Election - 24/7 Wall St. - February 3rd, 2020
- How the Iowa Caucus has affected the results of the presidential elections over the years - MEAWW - February 3rd, 2020
- Paul Thornley Will Return to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as Ron Weasley; More New Casting Announced - Broadway.com - February 3rd, 2020
- Paul Mike Ramey - The Republic - January 26th, 2020
- Time for Congress to undeclared wars and bring troops home - Kootenai Valley Times - January 25th, 2020
- Ron Paul - amazon.com - December 18th, 2019
- The Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity : Featured ... - December 18th, 2019
- Ron Paul - Encyclopedia Dramatica - December 18th, 2019
- Crypto Advocate Ron Paul to Headline 2019 Litecoin Summit - December 18th, 2019
- News - Block Government Patient IDs, Organizations Ask Senate - The Heartland Institute - December 18th, 2019
- Following today's impeachment vote? Here's what else is happening. - CNN - December 18th, 2019
- Somerville: Father Ron Celebrates 25th Anniversary of Ordination - TAPinto.net - December 18th, 2019
- Ron Paul: Afghanistan War The Crime Of The Century OpEd - Eurasia Review - December 17th, 2019
- SCOTUS is blocking federal executions and it's the right thing to do | TheHill - The Hill - December 17th, 2019
- How Hallmark Took Over Cable Television - The New Yorker - December 17th, 2019
- Ron Paul: Socialists Have Credibility for First Time Due to Rate Cuts, Trump Tariffs - Money and Markets - October 16th, 2019
- Ron Paul: Washington Is Wrong About The Kurds - FITSNews - October 16th, 2019
- These Nepotists Have a Lot to Say About Hunter Biden's Nepotism - The Daily Beast - October 16th, 2019
- Trump Trade Deals And The Non-Interventionism Of Ron Paul With Scott Horton - Mike Swanson (10/15/2019) - WallStreetWindow.com - October 16th, 2019
- Democratic Debate: Tulsi Gabbard, After Threatening Boycott, Will Participate on Tuesday - The New York Times - October 16th, 2019
- Ron Paul: Washington Is Wrong Once Again As Kurds Join Assad To Defend Syria OpEd - Eurasia Review - October 16th, 2019
- What, Exactly, Is Tulsi Gabbard Up To? - The Indian Express - October 16th, 2019
- Faithless Electors Could Tip the 2020 Election. Will the Supreme Court Stop Them? - The New York Times - October 16th, 2019
- This prediction market has Hillary Clinton in third place to win the Democratic primary - The Outline - October 16th, 2019
- Trump rally in Dallas: What to know about the Oath Keepers militia group - Times Record News - October 16th, 2019
- Andrew Yang is 2020's ad blocker candidate - The Spectator USA - October 16th, 2019
- Wake-Up Call On The Syrian Border: Time To End Washington's Feckless Regime Change Policy and NATO, Too - Antiwar.com - October 16th, 2019
- Fed's Hidden QE Becomes Norm; Bitcoin to the Rescue - Bitcoinist - October 16th, 2019
- Ron McDole on those legendary 1960s Bills' Halloween parties - Buffalo News - October 16th, 2019
- Would There Even Be an Alt-Right If the Libertarians Led by Ron Paul Hadn't Paved the Way? - AlterNet - August 25th, 2017
- Libertarians wrestle with the alt-right - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Ron Paul: Stocks may get chopped in half within a year, but ... - August 22nd, 2017
- 'Recipe for disaster': Ron Paul to RT about Trump's Afghanistan policy turn - RT - August 22nd, 2017
- 'Neocon Lies': Ron Paul Claims Iraq War Created Al Qaeda - Mediaite - August 22nd, 2017
- Trump Backs a Surge into Afghanistan He's Unfit to Lead - The Atlantic - August 22nd, 2017
- Ron Paul: 50% stock market plunge 'conceivable,' but it's not President Trump's fault - CNBC - August 20th, 2017
- 'He was radicalized online': Nephew of white nationalist speaks - CNN International - August 16th, 2017
- Trump can't be serious about attacking Venezuela - Times-Enterprise - August 15th, 2017
- Libertarian Republicans seek Rand Paul reinforcements - Washington Examiner - August 11th, 2017
- Sessions Authorizes Civil Asset Forfeiture - Newsmax - August 10th, 2017
- Ted Cruz's Democratic challenger tries to steal his tea party support - McClatchy Washington Bureau - August 10th, 2017
- The Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity : Jeff ... - August 9th, 2017
- Seafair Pirates, accused of targeting women and showing up drunk, no longer welcome at some festivals - The Seattle Times - August 5th, 2017
- For first time, Libertarians to run for countywide offices - Delco News Network - August 3rd, 2017
- Ron Paul: Trump 'racing towards disastrous war' with Iran or N.Korea - RT - August 3rd, 2017