If your business operations game plan doesnt include provisions for battling todays COVID-19 pandemic and fast-tracking security and safety technology that will enable staff and clients to safely enter your facility, while enforcing all current virus protocols, think again. Over this past year, there has been a paradigm shift in the landscape of security technology and how it is being deployed. Smart organizations are migrating their short-term technology solution into long-term strategies.Courtesy of BigStock.com
According to a recent Memoori report, the physical security businesshas not suffered as severely as many others, partly because its products and services have been able to contribute to controlling the pandemic in buildings and the growing demand for delivering Video Surveillance as a Service (VSaaS) and Access Control as a Service (ACaaS). COVID-19 has driven growth in building wellness systems as building operators are now in the process ofinstalling a variety of productsin preparation to meet the new standards for opening up their facilities.
As both security technology solution providers and their end-user clients grapple for answers to meet current and future challenges, Security Technology Executive editorial director Steve Lasky discussed these issues with three major players in the industry that include Rick Focke, the Director of Product Management for Enterprise Access Control Security Products and Building Technologies & Solutions at Tyco/Software House; Ryan Hulse, the Director of Product Management for Exacq and Kantech Security Products and Building Technologies & Solutions; and James Wagner, Leader Security Technology, Risk and Compliance at Deloitte Services LLP.
Rick Focke -- End-users are thinking about how they can get their employees back to work quickly, in the safest way possible and how can they maintain social distancing and meet all of the other protocols that are being put into place. Our end-users are also asking us for advice regarding touchless technologies that they can deploy, to help reduce the spread of the contagion. And, they have also started worrying about the effects of having a mostly vacant facility will they see an increase in vandalism or theft, or cyber-attacks? How should they change their approach to make sure they dont see an increase? Many of our end-users are also concerned that capital projects for security are now being delayed or even canceled, which forces them to adjust their long-term planning.
Ryan Hulse -- Issues around equality of law enforcement have intersected physical security with facial recognition technology. In early 2020 it was critiques of accuracy with dark skin tones. In early 2021 it is helping identify attackers at the U.S. Capital. These two extremes of negative and positive press illustrate why its possible to lose sleep trying to understand if such a technology is a boon or bane to an organization. Nobody wants the headline of the negative press. This is an area where JCI is busy behind the scenes working with outside experts and industry partners to work towards transparency and standards that ensure proper use of the technology and educating on the distinctions of frictionless access control and general surveillance applications.
James Wagner -- At Deloitte, we are rather blessed with a true enterprise system with redundancies at each crossroad. However, with mask mandates, we had an immediate impact on facial recognition for access control. Accuracy and speed were key to the program and of course we did not want our colleagues without masks. We believe this will be a challenge moving forward as we look for a workable solution for higher-end security solutions.
Focke -- Our process has not changed during the pandemic, but it has become quicker and more agile. It starts with our customers engaging with them to determine what problems they are experiencing, and to discuss possible solutions. We have an ongoing, active advisory council approach to customer feedback, which is combined with other ideas from customer meetings, integrators, and internally from tech support teams and applications groups. We work together to develop solutions in the quickest time possible, and we make sure what we come up with passes from a risk and cyber perspective. Finally, our marketing department makes sure that we communicate frequently and effectively our new technologies and innovations quickly and in as many ways as possible.
Hulse -- I think this is one area where a manufacturer like Johnson Controls has advantages to a customer looking to minimize their risk. Weve seen some products go to market very quickly to capitalize on fear and uncertainty, but were now asking did the manufacturer develop a full solution that allowed integrators to deploy effectively? Was the integrator equipped to deploy in a way that meets accepted standards? Johnson Controls, as a manufacturer also working in a number of areas like fire detection and suppression, is experienced working through compliance, risk, and security challenges to bring safe, effective solutions to market.
Wagner -- Deloitte has had a great pandemic team to review business and regulatory requirements across the landscape. From risk, doctors (internal and external), operations, and down to physical security, we have an outstanding team to review the level of policy and procedure which in some cases includes new products. The most interesting piece in a regulatory sense is what we found of most importance was the ability to report across the landscape. Thanks to the ability of our Software House CCURE 9000 system, at an enterprise level, we have shown our clients the ability to report access in correspondence to health declarations as well as ensuring occupancy levels are kept at a safe level.
Focke -- Integrated access control and video systems have been around for many years, but the pandemic has forced end users to take a second look at their systems and demand more how can I get more actionable intelligence out of the system I have? How can I optimize it, to reduce unnecessary alarms while elevating critical alarms and conditions? How can I use the combined information flow from video and access control to determine exact area-by-area usage patterns and distancing trends? We are starting to see more of a need for a holistic view of the complete building or facility, including cybersecurity no more silos of information. And a closer marriage of access control and video information is key to providing that view.
Hulse -- Video surveillance has always been the knowledge multiplier to any physical security system. It informs human decisions. The emergence of AI-based video analytics, to recognize faces or behaviors of persons, creates a force multiplier that lessens the need for staff to have eyes on every inch of floor space. Any time you build interconnected systems you also have to consider cybersecurity implications at integration points. Access control and video surveillance systems that integrate natively and are manufactured by companies with strong cybersecurity programs can provide the best guard against cyber risks.
Wagner -- Theres one key point missing from this question. Integration must include monitoring both physically and logically as well. Integrated solutions with redundancy are the only way to ensure we are providing 24/7 answers as incidents arise and provide a more safe and secure workplace even in a limited capacity. Deloitte Security relies heavily on its cybersecurity colleagues as well to ensure the most secure products to access is at the highest levels. My final and keywords here are redundancy and working together with cybersecurity. In our program, this was key to our success and ensuring we didnt miss a step in the home office turnaround.
Focke -- COVID has forced a reckoning on the physical security industry; it has compelled us to take a completely different view of what specific benefits our solutions provide to our customers. Customers are no longer happy just with access control basics they are demanding more information, and in a faster manner. They are demanding more proactive versus reactive information tell me when a door lock will probably fail in the future, versus telling me that it has already failed. They are demanding solutions that go beyond a traditional system, with closer integration to business and health monitoring, visitor and building management systems, and real estate/property technology platforms. And this lays the groundwork for an increased acceptance of true Open Standards in our industry, to facilitate this increasing information flow.
Hulse -- COVID has shifted the definition of a protected space to include the health of a space. We now think about the behaviors of people in the space in new ways like their distance from each other, what areas theyve touched, and the density of the people in the space. This expanded definition of a protected space is changing the trajectory of physical security, the question is to what degree. I would predict that even past the COVID pandemic, the security industry will shift toward spaces that are as touch-free as possible for occupants, and AI video analytics will continue to evolve recognition of behaviors to develop an understanding of spaces aggregate hygiene.
Wagner -- In some ways we have the pieces to meet those market demands but theres always room for improvement. Integrated solutions, again with live monitoring, places a key role in that success for a business. The cheapest product with free storage has to be highlighted for its potential cyber issues. Just read the terms and conditions of most of those products as Ive pointed out to some of my friends. Touchless, quality and innovation which includes multiple-use products will be key. A quality camera that can provide the security view with mask, motion, heat, and other capabilities in one unit and report anomalies is one example. Now can we wall mount it and potentially have an intercom and reader all in one? Ill let the smart people figure that one out. I have to repeat this due to its importance. The ability to change controls on the fly and report on the regulatory items is highly important for all businesses. Without this later item you may have some very smart pieces that might as well be seaweed if you cant report on how well they work.
- Techlash continues to batter technology sector - Brookings Institution - April 2nd, 2021
- CodeCrew students honored for their work in the technology field - WREG NewsChannel 3 - April 2nd, 2021
- Technology And The Future Of Work In Finance: A Q&A With Paychexs CFO - Forbes - April 2nd, 2021
- Options Technology Announces Acquisition of Fixnetix from DXC Technology - Business Wire - April 2nd, 2021
- Wireless Gigabit Market with COVID-19 impact by Product, Technology, Protocol, End-use and Geography - Global Forecast to 2026 - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Europe's chance to lead the green technology race - Financial Times - April 2nd, 2021
- We need to strengthen and accelerate US science and technology progress | TheHill - The Hill - April 2nd, 2021
- Beauty filters are changing the way young girls see themselves - MIT Technology Review - April 2nd, 2021
- Silicon Valley startup invents 'groundbreaking' new technology that could change the way we travel - Greater Greater Washington - April 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Has Forced an Evolution of Campus Safety Technology - Campus Safety - Campus Safety Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Revolutionary Technology Upgrades to the School of Music - The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music - April 2nd, 2021
- TerraLithium Receives Affirmation of Patents for Foundational Lithium Production Processes and Technologies - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Align Technology to Announce First Quarter 2021 Results on April 28, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Stocks making the biggest moves in the premarket: J&J, Emergent BioSolutions, Micron Technology & more - CNBC - April 2nd, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Honeywell To Provide Critical Navigation And Sensor Technology For Pipistrel's Unmanned Cargo Aircraft - PRNewswire - April 2nd, 2021
- Vellore Institute of Technology team electrifies houses in rural Karnataka - The Hindu - April 2nd, 2021
- Aerospace Robotics Market Research Report by Type, by Technology, by Operation - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo... - April 2nd, 2021
- NASA invests in small business projects to advance technology - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Why 3 Analysts Think Micron Technology Stock Is An Attractive Choice - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- How Unity Is Helping Creators Around The World Use Technology To Imagine A Better Future - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Wall Street dips, with technology the biggest drag - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- Technology helps family stay connected to 93-year-old grandfather - NEWS10 ABC - March 31st, 2021
- 'Big Storage' Is the Next Big Technology in the Climate Fight - Bloomberg - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Facial Skin Ablative Treatment Industry - by Technology, Application and Demography - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- The science and technology that can help save the ocean - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- DJO Invests in Next-Generation Augmented Reality Technology Primed for ASC Market Growth - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- InMobi Dominates MMA SMARTIES MENA 2020 with 15 Awards Including Technology Enabler of the Year and Best in Show - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Healthcare Technology Innovator SSG Rolls Out Digital Platforms to Accelerate the Fight Against COVID-19 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Juniper Research Named as Top Three Most Influential Analyst House Globally by Telco Technology Buyers - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- A Technology Partner Can Help Midsize Businesses Accelerate Digital Transformation - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM DELL TECHNOLOGIES AND INTEL - Harvard... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Automotive Antifreeze Market (2020 to 2027) - by Fluid Type, Technology, Application and Distribution Channel - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- Investment Opportunities of Big Data Technology in China - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - March 31st, 2021
- ST Equipment & Technology Teams with Salt River Materials Group on Fly Ash Recycling System - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- 5 Emerging IoT Technologies You Need To Know In 2021 - CRN - March 31st, 2021
- Successive Technologies and Strapi Announces Strategic Partnership - PR Newswire India - March 31st, 2021
- Spotify Technology S.A. to Announce Financial Results for First Quarter 2021 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Technology, agriculture's friend for the sustainable farms of the future - Euronews - March 31st, 2021
- House panel offers its plan to double NSF budget and create technology directorate - Science Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Building customer relationships with conversational AI - MIT Technology Review - March 31st, 2021
- TPConnects, the Technology Provider, Announces That Eastern Airlines is Investing in New Distribution Capabilities With IATA's NDC Level 4... - March 31st, 2021
- MetroWest towns and cities working together to offer clean energy technology - MetroWest Daily News - March 31st, 2021
- Vietnam's CamLy Group Founder introduces innovative technology to the global market, adding to her inspirational businesses ventures - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Outlook on the Cell Therapy Global Market to 2027 - by Therapy Type, Product, Technology, Application, End-user and Geography - GlobeNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Aircraft Maintenance Tooling Industry to 2027 - Featuring Farwest Aircraft, Inspection Technologies and Red Box Aviation Among Others -... - March 31st, 2021
- Black graduates 'shut out' of academic science and technology careers - The Guardian - March 29th, 2021
- Global Cloud-based Data Lake Market Technology Progress, Business Opportunities and Analysis 2021 to 2027 | Top Companies Analysis- Amazon Web... - March 29th, 2021
- Governor Lamont Announces Launch of Information Technology Optimization Process Within State Government - CT.gov - March 18th, 2021
- Retalon Announces Breakthrough Application of Deep Learning Technology in Business Specific Predictive Analytics - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- MIT Technology Review Announces EmTech Next 2021 Virtual Conference, June 8-10, hosted in partnership with Harvard Business Review - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- DOD Working With Norway to Develop High-Speed Propulsion Technologies - Department of Defense - March 18th, 2021
- Is Amkor Technology (AMKR) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- Citizens of the Week: Teens Teach Technology - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 18th, 2021
- Seniors receiving free virtual coaching on learning how to use technology - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 18th, 2021
- FinFet Technology Market is Anticipated to Touch USD 268.66 Million by 2025 Growing at 40.3% CAGR | Market Research Future (MRFR) - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2021
- This BYU facial recognition technology is designed with hackers and accessibility in mind - KSL.com - March 18th, 2021
- Technology IPOs A Meeting of Cultures at the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Transplace Expands Logistics Technology Platform to Europe with its Newest Technology Release and the Opening of an Office in the Netherlands -... - March 18th, 2021
- Quanterix' Simoa Technology Accelerates Critical Plasma Biomarker Research Presented at the 15th International Conference on Parkinson's &... - March 18th, 2021
- Outsourcing Marketing Technology Support To Boost Efficiency and Profits - Part 2 - JD Supra - March 18th, 2021
- Leveraging AI/NLP technology to reduce health inequities and improve patient outcomes - MedCity News - March 18th, 2021
- Bob Bain Productions and Berlin Entertainment Choose TVU Networks' Technology for Seamless, Virtual Production of the 26th Annual Critics Choice... - March 18th, 2021
- First American Data & Analytics Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Both Mortgage and Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine -... - March 18th, 2021
- Hearing aid makers tackle the technology's 'number one problem' with AI - STAT - March 18th, 2021
- Interstellar disc that blasted by Earth was not alien technology. Heres what it was. - Mahoning Matters - March 18th, 2021
- Dicapta Corporation Accessibility Technology Makes It Possible For DeafBlind Individuals To Watch An Oscar-Nominated Film About Themselves For The... - March 18th, 2021
- Centerville police to crack down on speeding with help from new technology - WHIO Radio - March 18th, 2021
- How Mason City Schools Is Using Technology To Monitor Students' Mental Health - WVXU - March 18th, 2021
- Texas Medical Technology Launches Its Smart iNitrile Device for Putting on Sterile Gloves Easily, Safely, and Automatically - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Insights on the Environmental Remediation Technologies Global Markets to 2025 - by Technology and Industry Application - Yahoo Finance UK - March 18th, 2021
- How HCCC's upgrades will help ensure health of everyone on campus - The Times Telegram - March 18th, 2021
- DataTrace Named One of the Most Innovative Technology Companies in Real Estate by HousingWire Magazine - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- SoftServe Wins Best Technology Response at the GSA Professional Awards 2020 - Business Wire - March 18th, 2021
- Nokia Technology To Be Integrated Across AWS, Google And Microsoft Platforms - Yahoo Tech - March 18th, 2021
- Securus Technologies Provides 40 Million Free Phone Calls to Incarcerated Americans Through First Year of COVID-19 Assistance - PRNewswire - March 18th, 2021
- Global Automatic Optical Inspection Market- GPEL Electronic GmbH, Koh Young Technology Inc., Mek Europe BV, Among Others to Contribute to the Market... - March 18th, 2021
- LOral technology incubators Guive Balooch on marrying beauty and tech - Glossy - March 11th, 2021
- Clevertouch by Boxlight Helps to Refresh Technology for The British Academy - Yahoo Finance - March 11th, 2021
- How technology helped Houston fight against the pandemic - InnovationMap - March 11th, 2021
- Global Indoor Farming Technology Markets, 2020-2021 & 2026 - Opportunities in the Development of Innovative and Cost-Effective Technologies &... - March 11th, 2021