Normally by the evening after an election, we would have a clear idea of the make-up of the next Parliament. Instead, the Covid pandemic has meant that we are still waiting to hear the results of the regional lists and a handful of stubborn constituencies.
Sign up to our Opinion newsletter
Sign up to our Opinion newsletter
In Orkney, Liam McArthur won a huge victory with 62.3 per cent of the vote. As the candidate with the highest vote share at the last election, I know Liam was desperate to repeat the feat and it looks like he may be able to claim the title once more.
Over in Shetland, Beatrice Wishart first won her seat in a by-election in 2019 in the face of a determined challenge from the SNP, but at this election she triumphed again, growing her vote share to almost 50 per cent. This is a sign of the shift Beatrice has put in as a local MSP over the past 18 months and shows the valuable of a hard-working local representative.
In Edinburgh Western, as it stands, my good friend Alex Cole-Hamilton has secured the highest vote for any constituency MSP since the formation of the parliament in 1999 with almost 26,000 votes.
Thats a tremendous achievement for Alex and his team and a fitting reward for the many long hours of door knocking and canvassing theyve done since such campaign activities resumed after the Duke of Edinburghs death.
Finally in North East Fife, I was absolutely honoured that 55 per cent of voters chose to put their cross next to my name. As I write this, Scottish Liberal Democrats currently hold more constituencies than the other pro-UK parties combined.
Our message that the next Parliament needs to put recovery first clearly got through and had big appeal on the doorsteps in our strongest areas.
It is frustrating that we werent able to move the dial in other constituencies. Some were up, others down.
The issues we highlighted will be important in the next parliament. We built our campaign around helping the country to bounce back from the pandemic.
The pandemic has taken a tremendous toll on our national mental health. Children have missed out on education. We need to take action after SNP plans for early years education fell short. I spoke out about the need to protect peoples jobs and deliver an industrial strategy for recovery. And of course, the biggest challenge of our age, action on the climate emergency.
Over the next five years, Scottish Liberal Democrats will pursue these issues. And we will persuade more people to switch their MSP to a Lib Dem next time because people can see the quality of the service they get which results in big re-election wins in those seats.
On day two of the count, we find out what the regional list vote holds. For now Scottish Liberal Democrats will enjoy our status as Scotlands biggest opposition party.
Willie Rennie is Scottish Liberal Democrat leader and MSP for North East Fife
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.
Read the original post:
- RIT's College of Liberal Arts, NTID Performing Arts announce 2021-2022 theatrical season | National Technical Institute for the Deaf | RIT - RIT News - June 9th, 2021
- The Groupthink That Produced the Lab-Leak Failure Should Scare Liberals - New York Magazine - June 9th, 2021
- New Liberals registration approved despite Liberal party objection over voter confusion - The Guardian - June 9th, 2021
- Liberal Party triggers 'electoral urgency' clause to speed up nominating candidates - CBC.ca - June 9th, 2021
- Liberals team up with Bloc to limit debate on controversial Bill C-10 - National Post - June 9th, 2021
- Reality bites Liberals and crime spikes - The Economist - June 9th, 2021
- Heres how a Liberal Arts degree from NMIMS can open a world of lucrative career prospects - Times of India - June 9th, 2021
- Fifty years of Martyn Turner cartoons: I have always been a liberal bigot - The Irish Times - June 9th, 2021
- CNN mocked over reporting study conservatives more likely than liberals to believe misleading news reports - Fox News - June 9th, 2021
- It Is Only In This Country That Things Are Very Liberal Where Health Is Concerned: Supreme Court - Live Law - Indian Legal News - June 9th, 2021
- Trudeaus Liberals promised to end the blood ban. Now they say its complicated. - 660 News - June 9th, 2021
- LETTER | Let's have a more liberal, open-minded university education - Malaysiakini - June 9th, 2021
- Two groups one conservative, the other liberal walked into a Zoom class - Press Herald - May 16th, 2021
- Liz Cheneys Liberal Critics Are Missing the Point - New York Magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Curley: Liberals must rewire their brains away from knee-jerk Trump hate - Boston Herald - May 16th, 2021
- How The Politics Of White Liberals And White Conservatives Are Shaped By Whiteness - FiveThirtyEight - May 16th, 2021
- Liberal. Activist. Girl boss. The complicated nuances of popular labels that often go unpacked The Bowdoin Orient - The Bowdoin Orient - May 16th, 2021
- Evolving past performative politics on a liberal campus - Dailyuw - May 16th, 2021
- Leavening Liberalism | RR Reno - First Things - May 16th, 2021
- Ritesh Jha aka Liberal Doge: The man behind the livestream spewing hate against Pakistani women - Newslaundry - May 16th, 2021
- The rise of Political Sufism poses a threat to liberal politics in both India and Pakistan - Scroll.in - May 16th, 2021
- Ross: Another outbreak of liberal, conservative agreement on the vaccine - MyNorthwest.com - May 16th, 2021
- Tasmanian Liberals have won majority government, ABC's Antony Green says - ABC News - May 16th, 2021
- Letter: Trump should be looking good to even liberal professors - Daily Record-News - May 16th, 2021
- Greg Gutfeld: Progress, stability, and success is just one liberal away from disaster - Fox News - May 16th, 2021
- Pike Liberal Arts and Autauga Academy capture AISA baseball titles, Macon East softball reaches final - Montgomery Advertiser - May 16th, 2021
- Tasmanian Greens and independents want external probe into allegations against Liberal candidate for Braddon, Adam Brooks - ABC News - May 16th, 2021
- What I don't see: How liberal silence for Jewish lives shows progressive limits - The Times of Israel - May 16th, 2021
- Quebec Ink: With Bill C-10, Quebec sets the Liberal agenda on Big Tech - The Logic - May 16th, 2021
- Liberals believe early election more likely after well-received federal budget - Sydney Morning Herald - May 16th, 2021
- Liberal bill on organ donation would create system of presumed consent - CBC.ca - May 16th, 2021
- The Liberal Party suspends Glasgow candidate Derek Jackson 'with immediate effect' after Nazi-style salute and star of David wearing at Glasgow count... - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal | Definition of Liberal at Dictionary.com - May 9th, 2021
- Interesting New Pew Study; White Liberals More Likely To Have Mental Problems - wbckfm.com - May 9th, 2021
- Despite recent wins, hypocrisy will rob liberals of a big victory over Modi - Firstpost - May 9th, 2021
- Joe Oliver: Will Liberal failures and lapses never end? - Financial Post - May 9th, 2021
- Megyn Kelly Irked By Liberal Action Figures: UWS Week In Review - Patch.com - May 9th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Hypocrisy on full display by liberal Democrats - Wooster Daily Record - May 9th, 2021
- Should Canadians get vaccinated abroad? Liberals, Tories skirt the issue but health experts encourage it - CBC.ca - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal candidate Simon Behrakis forced to apologise over failing to 'show respect' - ABC News - May 9th, 2021
- Erin O'Toole: The Liberals' internet regulation bill opens the door to a massive abuse of power - National Post - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal Party: behaviour of candidate treated as hate incident - Glasgow Times - May 9th, 2021
- Families call LIberal gun control bill insult to all victims of gun violence - CP24 Toronto's Breaking News - May 9th, 2021
- Police treating Liberal Party candidate's interaction with Humza Yousaf as hate incident - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Liberal heavyweight asked to review Opposition Leaders office - The Age - May 9th, 2021
- Meghan McCain Slams Mask-Wearing Liberals On 'The View,' Plans to Have "Hot Vaxx Spring" - Decider - May 9th, 2021
- Peter Gutwein describes allegations against Liberal candidate Adam Brooks as 'differing points of view' - ABC News - May 9th, 2021
- Patently fair - The Indian Express - May 9th, 2021
- Trudeau says Liberal budget is not a launch pad for a federal election - Yahoo Canada Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Some provinces not ready to embrace Liberal pledge to build a national child care system - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Rohail Hyatt issues one last clarification about what he means by 'liberal' - The Express Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- The State Of Liberal Arts Education In India - Forbes India - April 21st, 2021
- Liberals promise $30B over 5 years to create national child-care system - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Conservative MP says budget needs job creation, while former Liberal candidate pleased with document - battlefordsNOW - April 21st, 2021
- Freeland delivered an election budget, Liberal and Conservative MPs agree - CBC.ca - April 21st, 2021
- Former Liberal leader Andrew Peacock remembered as 'great Australian' with lasting legacy - ABC News - April 21st, 2021
- "This Is Just What Liberals Like To Do, Spend Money," Says Portage-Lisgar MP Of Federal Budget - PembinaValleyOnline.com - April 21st, 2021
- Hypocrisy of Liberals: They Outrage Over Election Campaigning, But Egged On Farm Protests - News18 - April 21st, 2021
- Libertarian vs. Liberal: Key Differences and Similarities - April 19th, 2021
- The Liberal Party is faking social media, so what will Facebook do? - Crikey - April 19th, 2021
- Conservative Vs. Liberal - 8 Key Differences - April 19th, 2021
- 5 things to watch for when the Liberals unveil the federal budget - CBC.ca - April 19th, 2021
- Its Not Just Young White Liberals Who Are Leaving Religion - FiveThirtyEight - April 19th, 2021
- Why Liberal arts is the degree young is India talking about - India Today - April 19th, 2021
- Remembering Andrew Peacock, a Liberal leader of intelligence, wit and charm - The Conversation AU - April 19th, 2021
- Liberal Party seeks to prevent The New Liberals from registering - Independent Australia - April 19th, 2021
- Why the WA Liberal Leader has hired a former disgraced government advisor - 6PR - April 19th, 2021
- Four Cartier watches? Bah! Libs hand out the equivalent of 90 a year to party hacks - Crikey - April 19th, 2021
- Dem Leaders Quick to Kill Liberal Dream of Packing the Court - Yahoo News - April 19th, 2021
- Liberals' bill on Indigenous rights getting pushback from Conservatives, First Nations critics - CBC.ca - April 19th, 2021
- Is the Supreme Court biased in favor of conservative Christianity? - Deseret News - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing in gender quotas in the Liberal party is not just right it's smart politics too - The Guardian - March 31st, 2021
- Conservative opinion columnist Rob Port to begin new livestream show with liberals - Grand Forks Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Germany's liberal FDP cool on three-way tie-up with Greens and SPD - Reuters - March 31st, 2021
- I would kill to be sexually harassed at the moment: Liberal Teena McQueen stuns colleagues in closed door meeting - Sydney Morning Herald - March 31st, 2021
- In Israel, Liberals Lost. The American Left Should Heed Their Lessons. - Foreign Policy - March 31st, 2021
- Working with the far-right? What a watershed Liberal Party vote means for Swedish politics - The Local Sweden - March 31st, 2021
- No space for liberal education - The Indian Express - March 31st, 2021
- Paynes silence speaks volumes about the Liberal Party - Sydney Morning Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Liberals amend Biodiversity Act in the face of industry, landowner criticism - CBC.ca - March 31st, 2021