Eczema patients had more Staphylococcus aureus bacteria (golden colonies) on their skin during active flare-ups. A.L. Byrd et al / Science Translational Medicine (2017)
And the team at the National Institutes of Health narrowed down the bad bacteria using genetic sequencing.
The hope is to figure out if the staph bacteria are causing the eczema or are a side-effect, and whether they worsen the symptoms. Eventually, it might be possible to use the knowledge to develop better treatments.
Atopic dermatitis (eczema) is a common inflammatory skin disorder in industrialized countries, affecting 10 to 30 percent of children, Julia Segre of the NIHs National Human Genome Research Institute and colleagues wrote.
Patients with atopic dermatitis suffer from chronic, relapsing, intensely itchy, and inflamed skin lesions and have an increased likelihood of developing asthma and/or hay fever.
Bacteria are a longtime suspect, and one treatment for eczema is a bleach bath to kill them off. But its not usually a long-term fix.
One team at NIH is working on
But its important to figure out just who the bad actors are, and thats what Segres team did.
They tested 18 children, 11 of whom had eczema. They scraped off the microbes living on their skin during flare-ups and outside of flare-ups, and sequenced the genomes of everything they found.
Staph bacteria were definitely the most variable and seemed most associated with eczema flare-ups, they found.
The more severe atopic dermatitis patients were markedly colonized with a single clade of S. aureus during disease flares, they wrote.
We found that less severe (eczema) patients were colonized with more methicillin-resistant strains, whereas the more severe (eczema) patients were primarily colonized with methicillin-sensitive strains.
Its not clear why. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) has become very common across the U.S.
But understanding the differences between the various types of bacteria living on healthy skin and itchy skin could lead to ways to prevent allergies, the NIH team hopes.
Because eczema develops so early in life, scientists believe that the bacteria that take up residence on a babys skin can influence whether that child develops allergies. Getting rid of bad bacteria may help prevent the development of allergies, researchers believe.
Eczema is caused by a combination of genetic, immune and environmental factors.
There are many treatments out there now, from simple skin lotions to steroid creams and immune suppressant drugs like tacrolimus. But none of these works for everybody, and the immune suppressant drugs can raise the risk of cancers such as lymphoma.
Read more from the original source:
Scientists Home in on Eczema-Causing Germs - NBC News - NBCNews.com
- Skin allergies - The Nation - January 27th, 2020
- Charlize Theron thought daughter looked like a 'lizard' - The Laconia Daily Sun - January 27th, 2020
- Man tormented by severe eczema took heroin overdose to kill himself - Lancashire Telegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Eczema: Does this unsightly skin condition worsen with age? Experts have their say - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Ease The Symptoms Of Eczema With The Aid Of This Natural Herb - International Business Times - January 25th, 2020
- Best supplements for eczema: This natural herb could help ease symptoms of the condition - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Dry Eyelids: Heres Exactly How to Treat Them, According to Dermatologists - Self - January 25th, 2020
- Eczema treatment: How to exercise without causing a flare-up - four key tips - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Girl with severe eczema told her mum she 'didn't want to look at herself in the mirror' - she's now a model - Manchester Evening News - January 25th, 2020
- Girl, 8, whose eczema is so severe it turns skin purple lands dream job with M&S - Mirror Online - January 25th, 2020
- Dupixent (dupilumab) available to treat adolescents with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in Scotland1 - PharmiWeb.com - January 25th, 2020
- Girl with severe eczema told mum 'I don't want to look at myself in the mirror' - Liverpool Echo - January 25th, 2020
- Charlize Theron recounts the 1st moment she met her daughter - Today.com - January 25th, 2020
- Dupixent (dupilumab), accepted for restricted use within NHS Wales for the treatment of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in adolescents aged 12 -... - January 25th, 2020
- Im a dermatologist, and these are the mistakes I see people make when treating eczema - Well+Good - January 18th, 2020
- Alitretinoin an Effective Option in Children With Hand Eczema - Dermatology Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- News Local mom and engineer starts soap company inspired by her son with eczema Anu Prakash - WXYZ - January 18th, 2020
- Sheffield study of newborn babies seeks to prevent eczema - The Star - January 18th, 2020
- Putting the Pro in Probiotics | Nutrition and Fitness | iosconews.com - Iosco County News Herald - January 18th, 2020
- Itchy face: Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Medical News Today - January 18th, 2020
- 4 things to know about eczema - WRAL.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bucks students urged to think before they comment on eczema - Mix 96 - January 18th, 2020
- John Turturro On The Future Of HBOs The Night Of TCA - Deadline - January 18th, 2020
- 12 Itchy Skin Treatments That Work, According to Dermatologists - Prevention.com - January 18th, 2020
- The 12 COSRX Products Every Skin-Care Fiend Should Have - New York Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Global Eczema Therapeutics Market 2020-2024| Evolving Opportunities with AbbVie Inc. and Bayer AG | Technavio - Business Wire - December 17th, 2019
- I started my coffee body scrub business with 450 now its turned over 15m and Maisie Smith is a fan - The Sun - December 17th, 2019
- Common Itching Causes and Fixes, According to Dermatologists - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 17th, 2019
- Kane Biotech Launches Consumer Product Test for an Innovative Shampoo Containing its Patented Anti-Biofilm Technology - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2019
- LEO Pharma announces positive top-line results for tralokinumab from three Phase 3 studies in adult patients with moderate-to-severe AD - Business... - December 17th, 2019
- Voice of the Year: Dr. Tara Zandvliet - Voice of San Diego - December 17th, 2019
- Revisit on skin diseases: eczema (3) - The Nation Newspaper - December 17th, 2019
- Naturally Weatherproof Skin for Winter Dryness - One Green Planet - December 17th, 2019
- Arcutis Announces Top Line Results for Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Clinical Trial Evaluating ARQ-151 as a Potential Topical Treatment for Atopic... - December 17th, 2019
- Sanofi Says Its $2.5 Billion Biotech Takeover Is Just the Beginning - The Motley Fool - December 17th, 2019
- Eczema Types, Treatment, Home Remedies & Symptoms - November 23rd, 2019
- CBS4s Frances Wang Brings Awareness To Skin Condition In Order To Help Others - CBS Miami - November 23rd, 2019
- What is cica? Everything a dermatologist wants you to know about this buzzy ingredient - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 23rd, 2019
- Atopic dermatitis linked to increased risk of atrial fibrillation - Dermatology Times - November 23rd, 2019
- Here's The Real Truth About Treating ADHD With Omega-3 Fish Oil Pills - ScienceAlert - November 23rd, 2019
- Evidence Growing That Eczema Itch More Than Skin Deep - Medscape - November 4th, 2019
- Itchy Skin Conditions And Mental Health Are Linked, And We Need to Talk About It - ScienceAlert - November 4th, 2019
- Eczema drug raises hopes of effective and long-lasting treatment - inews - October 27th, 2019
- Which emollients are effective and acceptable for eczema in children? - The BMJ - October 27th, 2019
- Eczema On The Face: How To Care For Your Skin Naturally - mindbodygreen.com - October 27th, 2019
- New drug developed in S'pore could provide full relief to eczema symptoms like redness & itching of skin - Mothership.sg - October 27th, 2019
- Norovirus to shigella and eczema the ultimate guide to protect your kids from winter bugs - The Sun - October 27th, 2019
- Baby Wipe Ingredient Linked To Eczema - Nonwovens Industry Magazine - News, Markets - Nonwovens Industry Magazine - October 27th, 2019
- Aldi brings back 'miracle' cream which parents swear cures children's eczema - and it costs 3.99 - Birmingham Live - October 27th, 2019
- Here's How 20 Years of Office Work Will Disfigure the Human Body - Futurism - October 27th, 2019
- 'I Tried Wet Wrap Therapy for Eczema, and It Helped Reset My Skin' - Everyday Health - October 20th, 2019
- Eczema Awareness Month 2019 - Everyday Health - October 20th, 2019
- Fragrances found in baby wipes and 'slime' among most common causes of skin allergies - Sydney Morning Herald - October 20th, 2019
- He Was Unbearably Itchy, but the Problem Wasnt in His Skin - The New York Times - October 20th, 2019
- Meet the Northern Ireland people battling eczema who are finally comfortable in their own skin - Belfast Telegraph - October 20th, 2019
- ANN & ROBERT H. LURIE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OF CHICAGO: Painless Tape Strips Used to Detect Molecular Changes in Skin of Children with Eczema -... - October 20th, 2019
- Our top scientists and the discovery that could revolutionise cancer, eczema treatment - The Age - October 20th, 2019
- People with atopic eczema have more S. aureus bacteria in their skin - Mirage News - October 20th, 2019
- Chronic Itch: New Therapy, Complexities - MedPage Today - October 20th, 2019
- What Are the Benefits of Turmeric? - The New York Times - October 20th, 2019
- Should You Try an Elimination Diet to Determine the Root Cause of Eczema? - Everyday Health - October 12th, 2019
- Long-Term Dupilumab Safe, Effective in Adolescents with Atopic Dermatitis - Pharmacy Times - October 12th, 2019
- Pfizer Presents Positive Phase 3 Data at the 28th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology for Abrocitinib in Moderate to... - October 12th, 2019
- Eating Fish in Early Childhood Even Just Once a Week Reduces Risk of Disease - SciTechDaily - October 12th, 2019
- More Than Food: 4 Breast Milk Uses Other Than For Feeding Babies - International Business Times - October 12th, 2019
- Graphic pictures reveal the horror of eczema sufferer 'skinned alive ... - The Sun - August 25th, 2017
- When eczema gets you banned from driving a rideshare - Malay Mail Online - August 22nd, 2017
- Doctor: Eczema medications for children could have long-term side effects - WTSP 10 News - August 20th, 2017
- Eczema cure? Doing THIS at the gym could treat the debilitating skin condition - Express.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- 5 All-Natural Remedies To Treat Eczema Without The Doctor - The Alternative Daily (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Treatment - Mayo Clinic - August 14th, 2017
- Jailed teacher says 4-month-old baby got eczema due to poor prison conditions - Turkey Purge - August 11th, 2017
- Does Early Probiotic Supplementation Reduce Eczema, Asthma Development? - Monthly Prescribing Reference (registration) - August 10th, 2017
- Dermira Commits $135M for Global Rights to Roche Eczema Drug - Xconomy - August 9th, 2017
- Taking too many antibiotics to treat eczema may worsen your condition - Miami Herald - August 5th, 2017
- I Have a Rare Form of Eczema That Makes It Painful to Walk - Health.com - August 5th, 2017
- How to get rid of eczema, beat the itch and scratch cycle - The Standard - August 4th, 2017
- Goats milk is helping skin - Wellington Times - August 1st, 2017
- Eczema Can Take a Toll on Adults - WebMD - July 28th, 2017
- Many Eczema Patients Fear Using Steroid Creams - Newsmax - July 28th, 2017