But the truth is that not every person knows exactly where the Kuril Islands are located, so we have decided to embark on an expedition to tell everyone in the world about our treasure.
The Russian Surfing Federation (RSF) has many similar-minded people on their team.
Surf training in Russia began a few years ago when the sport reached an Olympic level.
Seven years ago, it was hard to imagine that surfing would be supported at the highest governmental level.
But romantic and crazy adventurers change the world.
So Russian surfers Andrey Knaus, Sergey Zhukovskiy, and Tatiana Dudova started working closely with the Russian Ministry of Sport and the Russian National Olympic Committee.
In four years, more than 20 events and national championships were held, and more than six public festivals took place all over the central part of Russia.
Simultaneously, we sealed the deal with a famous Portuguese surf coach and set up several training camps for the national team.
Russia became an active member of the European Surfing Federation (ESF) and developed fruitful relations with the International Surfing Association (ISA) by taking part in almost all international competitions.
The dream of developing a national surfing team has become a long-lasting goal for the sport in the country.
It is a dream to find regular ocean waves on the Russian shores.
This dream guided us during the Covid-19 pandemic, as we decided to try and find a place where we could organize a sustainable training strategy for the team before the start of the 2021 international surfing season.
We have many spots with ocean waves in our country, butmost of them are of very difficult access. A good example is Commander Islands beaches.
Another relevant factor is that water temperature is around 2 C in spring.
We also have other popular surf locations, such as the Kamchatka peninsula and the Sakhalin Island, and we plan to run different official events there during future seasons.
That's why we keep on searching.
When I was on private holidays in the Russian Far East last year, I realized that logistics are quitegood and affordable there.
And you can walk from the hotel to the surf breaks without wasting time on transfers.
So, we decided to try and organize the first-ever surf training camp in Russia on Kuril's Kunashir Island.
We prepared this event for almost two months because the athletes needed all the necessary equipment.
Many national team members train in Russia all year round, so they are mentally ready for the cold water and freezing Russian spring weather.
The problematic part of such trips is uncertainty.
"It was difficult for us to make predictions and analyze the forecast because we have never had professional surfers there," explains Sergey Zhukovskiy, the executive producer of Russian national surfing events.
"We've only had several dreamer-surfers, and the weather has always been unpredictable."
"Nevertheless, we were sure that the town by the Pacific Ocean shore had accommodation with a full meal package included. But that was all we knew."
"So, in other words, we set up an expedition because we were not able to even imagine what this trip would be like at all."
The pioneering Russian surf project included athletes from shortboard, longboard, and SUP disciplines.
"That provided us with full expertise, so we could confirm whether the locationwas suitable for developing our surfing," adds Andrey Knaus, the president of the Russian Surfing Federation.
Kunashir Island is the southernmost island of Kuril's archipelago.
"We predicted that this island would be one of the first getting Pacific swells like Hawaii on the other side of the Pacific Ocean."
"We believed that these waves could be suitable for the two-week training session at least several times during the trip, but the reality exceeded our expectations."
The wave conditions allowed us for a two-hour session, twice a day, and for 12 days. On three days, we had world-class waves.
"And picture this: there was no one except the six of us and a few curious seals nearby," adds Pedro Barbudo, the head coach of RSF.
"The potential of Kunashir island is incredible. We could not imagine the scale of it. The conditions are acceptable for everyday training procedures and beginners almost every day."
"Keep on searching for the Russian surf" became the motto of this exploratory trip.
During their free time, Russian wave ridersexplored more than 30 different surf spots, 20of whichlocated within a one-hour driving distance of Yuzhno-Kurilsk.
Other surf breaks were available and could be explored near the hotel.
There was also an opportunity to visit and check the conditions on Shikotan Island, which is only 80 kilometers away from Kunashir.
Conditions there are really different from Kunashir, but it should be more interesting to explore them during the summertime because this island is very friendly and has no dangerous wildlife.
It is very important to stress that during the summer season, the water temperature in the Pacific Ocean is around 16-18 C, and the air temperature is over 20 C.
That makes surfing even more attractive because there are not many places in the world with uncrowded line-ups like these ones.
The exploratory mission was a success.
The athletes trained a lot, and the inconveniences of cold water were compensated by the number of waves and the intensity of the training sessions.
The team included surfers Sergey Mysovsky, Evgeniy Isakov, Max Fomin, Mitya Ilyasov, Mayi Rudik, and Elena Prokhorova.
The experienceexponentially increased the overall technical level of athletes, and everybody left dreaming of developing and setting up a Russian surf industry.
"It is crucial to have surfboards, leashes, wax, fins, and wetsuits produced in Russia," notes Maxim Fomin, a longboarder of the Russian national surfing team.
But the other goal of the expedition was to find a place where the training headquarters could be installed in the future.
In the meantime, it is vital to attract the future generation right now.
We need to inspire and tell children that the Olympic dreams are not only in hockey and winter sports but also in surfing.
For us, the mission of fighting for clean oceans and respecting Nature is critical, and through surfing, children can now embrace these priorities into their lives.
The creation of Russia's first surfing center supported by different governing authorities, such as the regional ministry of sport and local towns, will change the image and tourism of the region.
Traveling, surfing, and exploring broaden people's horizons, and our mission is to make our country and people a little bit better.
We will continue promoting education and culture through surfing across our country and abroad.
Words by Tatiana Dudova | Director at Russian Surfing Federation
See the original post here:
- This Private Island for Rent in Greece is Heaven on Earth A private island available to - Greek Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Netflixs New Series "The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals" Is Giving Us the Travel Inspiration We Need - HouseBeautiful.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Find The Worlds Most Amazing Vacation Rentals on Netflix - The Detroit News - June 23rd, 2021
- The Ritz-Carlton Debuts In Turks & Caicos Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - June 23rd, 2021
- Library bookmark contest... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - June 23rd, 2021
- Why I had no hesitations booking 2 cruises this summer - Business Insider - June 23rd, 2021
- An AZ of Greek islands and how to plan the perfect trip - Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein really are more scandalous than Prince Andrew Film Daily - Film Daily - June 23rd, 2021
- How to Rent Out Four of the Most Exclusive Private Islands on Earth - InsideHook - June 15th, 2021
- Disney is Still Moving Forward with Second Private Destination in the Bahamas - Cruise Hive - June 15th, 2021
- 7-Day Sailing Trip to The British Virgin Islands - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Why Private Travel Is The Newest Trend For Vacationers Private Travel - Upscale Living Magazine - June 15th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- A Japanese-Inspired Villa Hits the Market on the British Virgin Islands - Dwell - June 15th, 2021
- A Birding Adventure in Arizonas Sky Islands - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Financing considerations for take-private transactions in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 15th, 2021
- Turks and Caicos Islands issued a Level 1 Notice from the CDC - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - June 15th, 2021
- A local's ultimate guide to visiting St. Martin, an island in the Caribbean - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Hudson Valley On The Water: 5 Islands Park Kayak Excursions - Patch.com - June 15th, 2021
- Private Funding of Legal Services Act, 2020: the codification and expansion of litigation funding in the Cayman Islands - Lexology - June 2nd, 2021
- Cruises are finally returning to U.S. ports here's what will be different post-COVID - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- First Look: The Ritz-Carlton Opens Its First Resort in the Maldives - Robb Report - June 2nd, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - KRDO - June 2nd, 2021
- Culture Talk: Lisa Howie on Organizing Inaugural Atlantic World Art Fair, Online Event Features Works by Artists From Caribbean and Atlantic Islands -... - June 2nd, 2021
- OMG, I Want to Rent That House: Ibiza, Spain The Daily Beast - Daily Beast - June 2nd, 2021
- Join the luxury villa club with Stay One Degree - The Week UK - June 2nd, 2021
- Unparalleled Luxury Embraces the Circle of Island Life with the Debut of the Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Tourism is Back and it Starts in The Seychelles With a Boom! - Al-Bawaba - June 2nd, 2021
- Post-COVID cruising: The ships are back at sea, but where can they go? - Yahoo News - June 2nd, 2021
- Everything you need to know about a Fiji and Pacific Islands travel bubble, and which islands to visit - Nine - June 2nd, 2021
- Open letter to the Lopez community | Guest... - Islands' Weekly - June 2nd, 2021
- 10 Private Islands That You Can Rent on Airbnb - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 24th, 2021
- L'Voyage Expands with New Shareholder and New Plans - Aviation International News - May 24th, 2021
- How to Build Anywhere in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - May 24th, 2021
- COMPETITION: Win a spectacular private island staycation in idyllic Clew Bay for you and your housemates - JOE.ie - May 24th, 2021
- Survey reveals who's willing to cruise - News - University of Florida - University of Florida - May 24th, 2021
- Here's Everything Worth A Watch On Netflix In June 2021 - Secret Manchester - May 24th, 2021
- Yorkshire jeweller becomes an unexpected tourist attraction - in the Falkland Islands - The Yorkshire Post - May 24th, 2021
- The Worlds Largest Private Residential Yacht Will Be Back on the Water This Summer - Robb Report - May 24th, 2021
- WATCH: This New Netflix Series Takes You Inside the World's Most Amazing Vacation Home Rentals - Yahoo Entertainment - May 24th, 2021
- Where Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Is Required - Healthline - May 24th, 2021
- Mackinac Islands Sip n Sail boat offers new cruises, including 5 oclock Somewhere - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- The Best Outer Banks Vacation Rentals 2021, from Beachfront Bungalows to Family-Friendly Retreats - Cond Nast Traveler - May 24th, 2021
- Traveling to the Maldives during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - Gwinnettdailypost.com - May 11th, 2021
- Pandemic, where are we heading to? - The Times of India Blog - May 11th, 2021
- Heres how to book a glamorous spot to go glamping - MarketWatch - May 11th, 2021
- Rarotonga bubble ready: Cook Islands' advice to Kiwi visitors - New Zealand Herald - May 11th, 2021
- Europe woos tourists with cash, cafes and Covid-free islands - Yahoo Singapore News - May 11th, 2021
- Private parking spaces in Provincetown near $100K each in densest parts of town - Wicked Local - May 11th, 2021
- He was on vacation that cost 15,000 Johnson was examined - asumetech - May 11th, 2021
- School Garden Iniative Continues To Grow - Government of the Virgin Islands - May 11th, 2021
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021
- Inside the vintage school bus that's one of Kent's most unique Airbnbs - Kent Live - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know about the coronavirus right now - Gibraltar Chronicle - May 9th, 2021
- J. Prince Appears to Have Bought His Own Private Island: 'They Said It Couldn't Be Done' - Complex - April 19th, 2021
- You can rent an entire private island in Ireland with your mates for 40pppn including a bar, sauna and h... - The Sun - April 19th, 2021
- This Country Wants You To Visit So Badly, Itll Give You A Covid Vaccine - Forbes - April 19th, 2021
- How the Lush Caribbean Island of Dominica Became a Superyacht Haven - Robb Report - April 19th, 2021
- Where Is the MSC Fleet of Cruise Ships? - Cruise Industry News - April 19th, 2021
- Prince Philip funeral: Prince Harry, Andrew have awkward reunion - Insider - April 19th, 2021
- Whos who in House of Gucci, the new crime and fashion saga - Metro US - April 19th, 2021
- The Hottest Features The Rich Are Craving For Their Next Home - NDTV - April 19th, 2021
- Fodors names Georgia island among nations best to visit - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 2nd, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2021
- Security escorts, chartered planes, Rolls-Royces: Inside the luxe tours of FlyEast Philippines - TTG Asia - April 2nd, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 2nd, 2021
- Your Own Private Island in Tahiti Is Only a Flight Away - Locale Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - March 31st, 2021
- Milgate to lead Velaa Private Island in the Maldives - Breaking Travel News - March 31st, 2021
- Secret Mediterranean: where to stay on the best hidden islands - Telegraph.co.uk - March 31st, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - March 31st, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - March 31st, 2021
- Best resorts in the San Juan Islands - seattlepi.com - March 31st, 2021
- 7 Successful Celebrity Investors | TheRichest - TheRichest - March 31st, 2021