Amid a tussle between the Union government and Twitter over the new IT rules, the Parliamentary Standing Committee on IT on Friday told the US-based social media giant that the rule of the land was supreme and the company must abide by the Indian laws.
During a 90-minute deposition before the panel, chaired by Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, the Twitter India officials were asked "tough and searching questions", including why the company should not be fined as it has been found "violating" rules of the country, sources said.
Twitter India's public policy manager Shagufta Kamran and legal counsel Ayushi Kapoor deposed before the parliamentary panel.
"We will also continue working alongside the Indian Government as part of our shared commitment to serve and protect the public conversation", the spokesperson said while appreciating the opportunity to share views of Twitter before the Standing Committee on Information Technology.
BJP MPs --Nishikant Dubey, Rajyawardan Rathore, Tejasvi Surya, Sanjay Seth, Zafar Islam, Subhash Chandra-- were among those present during the meeting while from the opposition there were TMC MP Mahua Moitra and TDP MP Jaidev Galla apart from Tharoor.
During the meeting, panel members mostly from ruling BJP asked Twitter officials whether their policy is more important or rule of land, to which officials responded that they respect the Indian laws but they have to follow their policy as well for larger interest, sources said.
The panel members took strong objection to Twitter stance and categorically told them that the rule of land is supreme not the company policy, sources said.
As per sources, there was unanimity in the panel that the Twitter should abide by IT rules and appoint chief compliance officer.
"The answers (by Twitter officials) lacked clarity and were ambiguous", a source said.
It was also raised by the MPs in the meeting that instead of appointing a full-time compliance officer, Twitter has appointed an interim officer, who is a lawyer, sources said.
According to sources, Dubey also raised question over neutrality of fact-checks on Twitter and claimed that many of them are not "politically neutral".
The parliamentary panel had last week summoned Twitter over issues related to misuse of the platform and protection of citizens' rights.
According to sources, the opposition members opined that another round of meeting should be held with Twitter officials, but the panel has sought written reply from Twitter on various questions.
The panel members also held a meeting with Information and Technology Ministry officials after the deposition.
Earlier this month, the Central government issued a notice to Twitter, giving it one last chance to "immediately" comply with the new IT rules and warned that failure to adhere to the norms will lead to the platform losing exemption from liability under the IT Act.
Sources said the panel will also summon top officials of Google, Facebook, YouTube and other tech giants.
Twitter and the Centre have been at loggerheads over several issues for the last few months.
The microblogging site had also faced backlash when it briefly removed the 'blue tick' verification badge from the personal account of Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu and of several senior RSS functionaries, including its chief Mohan Bhagwat.
Earlier, Delhi Police had sent a notice to Twitter, seeking an explanation of how it described an alleged "Congress toolkit" against the Central government as "manipulated media".
The police reportedly had also questioned Twitter India MD Manish Maheshwari on May 31 and visited the Twitter India offices in Delhi and Gurgaon on May 24 over the toolkit issue.
- Why machine programming should be the next technology you invest in - VentureBeat - July 18th, 2021
- Leveraging digital technology during the pandemic - Brookings Institution - July 18th, 2021
- Overdoses reach record numbers and new technology could help saves more lives: Here are the weeks top headlines - WTRF - July 18th, 2021
- The Unsuccessful Intersection of Dogs and Technology | Outside Online - Outside - July 18th, 2021
- Wild Things technology feature tells tale on pitchers - Observer-Reporter - July 18th, 2021
- What it takes to keep federal technology transfer going - Federal News Network - July 18th, 2021
- New federal actions aim to tackle diversity in STEM fields - Axios - July 18th, 2021
- Shed of Tangshan Interchange Toll Station / AESEU Architectural Technology and Art studio - ArchDaily - July 18th, 2021
- Lightbulb moment: the battery technology invented in a Brisbane garage that is going global - The Guardian Australia - July 18th, 2021
- Core One Labs to Present on its Proprietary Biosynthetic Psilocybin Technology at Investor Town Hall Event on August 4, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - July 18th, 2021
- Cameras in the Courtroom: Technology upgrades expand public access to hearings, trials - Terre Haute Tribune Star - July 18th, 2021
- Biden battles Russian hacking groups with restrictions on IT firms - Reuters - July 18th, 2021
- Is 57 a prime number? Theres a game for that. - MIT Technology Review - July 18th, 2021
- Eggo gets inspired by technology as they introduce their new Eggoji Waffles - Guilty Eats - July 18th, 2021
- The lurking threat to solar powers growth - MIT Technology Review - July 18th, 2021
- Flush with unicorns, India's technology moment arrives, but not without concerns - Taipei Times - July 18th, 2021
- How effective is technology in education? - The New Indian Express - July 18th, 2021
- Hexa-X: 6G technology and its evolution so far - Ericsson - July 16th, 2021
- Facebook is ditching plans to make an interface that reads the brain - MIT Technology Review - July 16th, 2021
- 4 Key Ways 5G Technology is Transforming Patient Care - HIT Consultant - July 16th, 2021
- Intelsat's push to be 'more vertical' in the federal market - Washington Technology - July 16th, 2021
- TOP 100: IBM makes big move toward transformation - Washington Technology - July 16th, 2021
- What Ever Happened to IBMs Watson? - The New York Times - July 16th, 2021
- Netflix Hires Researcher Paul Debevec to Oversee Emerging Technology Team (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 16th, 2021
- How Germany Hopes to Get the Edge in Driverless Technology - The New York Times - July 16th, 2021
- Launch Blue Technology Showcase Will Feature 8 UK Technologies - UKNow - July 16th, 2021
- Invitation Homes Invests in Fifth Wall Climate Technology Fund - Business Wire - July 16th, 2021
- LIZHI INC. Announces Partnership with Xinghe Zhilian Automotive Technology Company - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Mining Cables Industry to 2026 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - July 16th, 2021
- Breakthrough automotive film technology puts AkzoNobel's innovation on the radar - Automotive World - July 16th, 2021
- Is Micron Technology Stock Headed to $165 a Share? - The Motley Fool - July 16th, 2021
- 3 Technologies at the Forefront of Digital Transformation Today - CMSWire - July 16th, 2021
- Embracing the Potential of Cloud Technology with Ecosystem Partners at the HUAWEI CLOUD Summit 2021 - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- Cormetech Selected for a DOE Award to Demonstrate Technology to Increase the Amount of CO2 Captured in DAC Operations - Business Wire - July 16th, 2021
- Less-Loved Solar Technology Gets Moment in the Sun - The Wall Street Journal - July 16th, 2021
- Real-World Data & Technology Company OM1 Closes $85 Million Financing To Make Healthcare More Measured, Precise, And Pre-Emptive - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2021
- Austin will use laser technology to help make this dangerous intersection safer - KXAN.com - July 16th, 2021
- Facial recognition technology in immigration: Biden, biometrics and congressional mandate | TheHill - The Hill - July 16th, 2021
- Tech tracks cyclists better than ever but is it too much? - The Independent - July 16th, 2021
- Riding the technology: The future of urban mobility is now - YourStory - July 16th, 2021
- New PV technologies in new manufacturing regions: has the PV industry finally grown up? - PV-Tech - July 16th, 2021
- Smart Label Market Research Report by Technology, by Application, by End User, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - July 16th, 2021
- EquipmentShare Completes $230M Funding Round to Expand Technology and US Footprint, Announces Appointment of Former GE Capital Executive Trevor... - July 16th, 2021
- Trade Spotlight: What should investors do with L&T, L&T Technology Services and Zensar? - Moneycontrol.com - July 16th, 2021
- Pakistan moves to bring cryptocurrency boom out of the dark - Reuters - July 16th, 2021
- Technology company - Wikipedia - June 20th, 2021
- PROJECT 38: How to survive today's tech stressors - Washington Technology - June 20th, 2021
- The first-ever Black-owned social job network built on blockchain technology launches Juneteenth - Johnson City Press (subscription) - June 20th, 2021
- Komatsu: celebrating 100 years of industrial innovation | Technology - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - June 20th, 2021
- Energy Department Seeks to Keep Grant-Backed Technology Jobs in U.S. - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- AI and the future of global trade | Technology & AI - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - June 20th, 2021
- Investors in technology need to pay attention to corporate governance - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- Swiss Scientist Refined Technology Used in MRI Scans - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Talking Technology: Ferrie Says This Investment Can Yield Up to $100/Acre Profits - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Mississippi INBRE Research Efforts Aided by Technology Upgrade - Southern Miss Now - June 20th, 2021
- How One Company Is Leveraging Technology To Support And Educate Autistic Children - Forbes - June 20th, 2021
- Meet the World Economic Forum's Technology Pioneers of 2021 - World Economic Forum - June 20th, 2021
- Research says AI technology to divert invasive species in Illinois river akin to 'crime scene photos' - The Center Square - June 20th, 2021
- Bridging the gap: Technology can help conserve biodiversity - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- Diving into the global problem of technology waste - MIT News - June 20th, 2021
- Calculating The Fair Value Of New Oriental Education & Technology Group Inc. (NYSE:EDU) - Yahoo Finance - June 20th, 2021
- Ministers eye technology to save thousands of NHS staffing hours - Yahoo Finance UK - June 20th, 2021
- U.S., EU Forge Closer Ties on Emerging Technologies to Counter Russia and China - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Newater Technology, Inc. Announces the Discharge of Injunction Against its Going Private Transaction - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- The UAPs (UFOs) Are Not Caused by Any U.S. Advanced Technology - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - June 20th, 2021
- All kinds of new technology are being used to monitor the natural world - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- WIPO is seeking a Head, Legislative, Policy and Technology Advice Section - IPWatchdog.com - June 20th, 2021
- This Is The Future Of EV Technology...Maybe - InsideEVs - June 20th, 2021
- Coding languages to learn and avoid for technology jobs in banks - eFinancialCareers - June 20th, 2021
- Green Energy: The Issue Is Politics, Not Technology or Cost - Bloomberg - June 20th, 2021
- Global High Purity Alumina Market (2020 to 2026) - Featuring Airy Technology, Nippon Light Metal and Polar Sapphire Among Others -... - June 20th, 2021
- Novel Vaccine Based on mRNA Technology Shows Protection Against Malaria in Animal Models | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - June 20th, 2021
- Widespread electrification requires us to rethink battery technology - TechCrunch - June 13th, 2021
- Innovative Battery Technology Puts Flying Cars on the Horizon - SciTechDaily - June 13th, 2021
- Intel debates buyout of SiFive to bolster chip technology against Arm -source - Reuters - June 13th, 2021
- Erbil to host 2nd annual international fair on information technology - Kurdistan24 - June 13th, 2021
- The coming productivity boom - MIT Technology Review - June 13th, 2021
- Sit back and enjoy the technology ride - Mankato Free Press - June 13th, 2021
- King County Councils ban of facial recognition technology is misguided - MyNorthwest.com - June 13th, 2021
- Recon Updates Progress on its Technology-Driven Solutions for Electric Submersible Progressing Cavity Pump with $5 Million Orders Secured - PRNewswire - June 13th, 2021