Last week Texas experienced a cold snap that resulted in serious statewide damage, death, and destruction. The collapse of the states energy grid left millions of Texans in the dark and freezing for days at a time. Tragically, at least 30 people died.
There are many reasons why Texas became like a Third World country, and we should be careful not to pin all the blame on just one factor. But it seems clear that the disaster was to a large degree caused by political decisions to shift toward green energy generated from solar and wind and by Governor Abbotts authoritarian Covid restrictions.
Abbott, who won a wind leadership award just this month, oversaw the near-collapse of wind energy generation last week. Yet the politicization of energy generation in favor of green alternatives over natural gas and other fossil fuels has led to the unintended consequences of freezing Texans facing multiple millions of dollars in property damage and worse.
Additionally, federal emissions and other restrictions forced Texas to beg Washington for permission to generate power at higher levels in anticipation of unprecedented demand. Governor Abbott finally received permission from the Department of Energy on February 14th, but by then many facilities found themselves off-line due to freezing conditions.
Why should the Federal government be allowed to freeze Texans to death in the name of controlling emissions from energy generation plants? Its a classic example of politics over people. I guess if you want to make a Green New Deal omelet, you have to break a few eggs.
While Governor Abbott was quick to blame energy generators and even the state Electric Reliability Council of Texas, NBC News in Dallas reported that ERCOT did not conduct any on-site inspections of the states power plants to see if they were ready for this winter season. Due to COVID-19 they conducted virtual tabletop exercises instead but only with 16 percent of the states power generating facilities.
Governor Abbotts authoritarian Covid executive orders at least indirectly led to lax inspection, maintenance, and winterization of wind and other energy generation plants.
But Texas did not only freeze because of Abbotts Covid restrictions. For the better part of a year thousands of businesses have been destroyed. Recovering drug addicts and alcoholics have relapsed. Depression and suicides have skyrocketed. Children have been deprived of education.
And for what? Texas with Abbotts restrictions fared no better than Florida with no restrictions when it comes to Covid cases and deaths. The Texas governor knew that months ago when the data from Florida proved that lockdowns, masks, and other restrictions had no effect. But he refused to change course. He refused to follow the brave lead of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and open Texas completely.
Politicians too stubborn or fearful to change course when facts dictate otherwise do not deserve to remain in office. Governors Gavin Newsom in California and Andrew Cuomo in New York are finally facing consequences for their Covid authoritarianism. When the smoke clears and it is rapidly clearing many more of these petty tyrants will fall. That list of deposed Covid tyrants may well include Texas Governor Greg Abbott and the slumbering Texas state legislature as well.
Lets hope Texans and all Americans will learn from this and more forcefully demand their God-given liberty!
This article was published by RonPaul Institute.
- Fauci: Paul doesn't know what he's talking about | TheHill - The Hill - July 27th, 2021
- Should the US return to the gold standard? No - The Daily World - July 27th, 2021
- Should the US Return to the Gold Standard? InsideSources - InsideSources - July 27th, 2021
- TEXAS Thumbs: Texas Dems in disarray and Houston gets snubbed HOUSTON CHRONICLE - Houston Chronicle - July 27th, 2021
- VAERS reports may initiate investigations into potential associations between a vaccine and adverse events, but on their own cannot prove causality -... - July 27th, 2021
- Selected Quotes And Seven Lessons From The Hard Money Mini-Documentary - bitcoinist.com - July 27th, 2021
- POLITICO Playbook: Is McCarthy prepared for Trump's wrath about the Jan. 6 committee? - POLITICO - Politico - July 27th, 2021
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' cast 20 years later: Where are they now? - Wonderwall - July 27th, 2021
- Sen. Rand Paul wades into Texas governor's race against Gov. Abbott - Houston Chronicle - July 23rd, 2021
- Ron Paul: 'Ed-Exit' To Protect Your Kids From Critical Race Theory OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 23rd, 2021
- Thirty Years After Slacker, the Film Is an Austin Time CapsuleAnd a Hopeful Tribute to Its Spirit - Texas Monthly - July 23rd, 2021
- Cornyn Joins Letter Urging Biden Administration to Abandon the Tax-Hike Proposal on Farmers and Ranchers - Senator John Cornyn - July 23rd, 2021
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of July 23 - ECM Publishers - July 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: July 22, 2021 - TCPalm - July 23rd, 2021
- It will be remembered: Trump allies cross him in special election - POLITICO - July 18th, 2021
- Sens. Rick Scott, Ron Johnson and Colleagues on Democrats' Partisan Spending Bill: America Needs to Invest in Infrastructure Without Out-of-Control... - July 18th, 2021
- Lifting the U.S. Embargo Against Cuba Will Create Wealth and Prosperity for Both Countries - Energy & Capital - July 18th, 2021
- Wild and the Expansion Draft: What you need to know - BlueJackets.com - July 18th, 2021
- All-time City Golf champions - The Herald-Times - July 18th, 2021
- Want to Buy a Luxury Watch? Read These 7 Pro Tips First - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- What issues will guide the 2022 election? Check ads from GOP senators - Deseret News - July 18th, 2021
- Sunday's letters: Blame unvaccinated for pandemic, women stand against abortion ban, more - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 18th, 2021
- Daye looks back on over 40 years as local banker - Wilkes Journal Patriot - July 14th, 2021
- Golfing with Wynn: Could there be a dynasty forming in the Tuesday Men's League? - St. Albans Messenger - July 14th, 2021
- Sports for the Record: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 | Sports News | tulsaworld.com - Tulsa World - July 14th, 2021
- The Point, July 14, 2021: 'The Bay Is Really Hurting': Red Tide Kills Thousands Of Fish In Tampa Bay - WUFT - July 14th, 2021
- COVID Community Test Sites In Mpls., St. Paul, Bloomington To Close By End Of The Week - CBS Minnesota - June 28th, 2021
- Around the County - Runnels County Register - June 28th, 2021
- Pride Parties, Openings, And More FOMO-inducing Events From The Weekend! - Daily Front Row - June 28th, 2021
- Trump isnt the dictator: Wisconsin GOP inches away from Trump - POLITICO - June 28th, 2021
- Lets run Selective Service up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes - The Boston Globe - June 28th, 2021
- The Life And Career Of Ron Johnson (Complete Story) - Browns Nation - June 28th, 2021
- Rease and Keshequa made winning a habit - pickinsplinters.com - June 28th, 2021
- Ron Paul: Let Bitcoin Compete With the Dollar - Yahoo Finance - June 4th, 2021
- Former congressman Ron Paul: Bitcoin is money and should be taxed the same - Cointelegraph - June 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin 2021 conference: Speaker line-up and what to expect... - The US Sun - June 4th, 2021
- Ron Johnson is still weighing whether to run for a third senate term next year, but says he's 'panicked' for the nation - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - June 4th, 2021
- Sen. Rick Scott Doubles Down on Call for Congressional Investigation into the Origins of COVID-19 | SENATOR RICK SCOTT - Senator Rick Scott - June 4th, 2021
- Ron Onesti: "Have I told you " - Chicago Daily Herald - June 4th, 2021
- University of Michigan to retain name on Weiser Hall, president says - MLive.com - June 4th, 2021
- Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals start OTAs, Kyler Murray leading the way, Cardinals sign new punter, PFFs - Revenge of the Birds - June 4th, 2021
- Will The Bitcoin Miami Conference Be A Catalyst For Recovery? - bitcoinist.com - June 4th, 2021
- Entertainment Leaders Call on Celebrities and Influencers to Stop Spreading Misinformation about Israeli-Palestinian Conflict - PRNewswire - May 18th, 2021
- Last Call for 5.17.21 A prime-time read of what's going down in Florida politics - Florida Politics - May 18th, 2021
- Election filing week kicks off with a few surprises - The Columbian - May 18th, 2021
- Paul Bettany Answers Every Question We Have About A Knights Tale - Vulture - May 16th, 2021
- Utica man producing film about the history of radio - The Oakland Press - May 16th, 2021
- Gov. DeSantis appoints three to the Southwest Florida Water Management District Governing Board - Florida Politics - May 16th, 2021
- Twin Cities' biggest film fest includes 'Claw,' hits from around the world - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 16th, 2021
- Max McLaughlin wins first super feature as Tyler Thompson runs out of fuel in Oswego - syracuse.com - May 16th, 2021
- Remember to say thank you before it is too late - The Daily Times - May 16th, 2021
- St. David and Benson win Baseball Championships - All Sports Tucson - May 16th, 2021
- Rand Paul clashes with Fauci over coronavirus origins | TheHill - The Hill - May 14th, 2021
- Twin Cities playwright and critic William Randall Beard dies at 64 - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Joy calls Tucker Carlson and Ron Johnson are the absolute worst for spreading COVID disinformation - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Animated Movies, According to Critics - Newsweek - May 9th, 2021
- St. Paul man who helped burn down Third Precinct sentenced to prison and $12 million restitution - MinnPost - May 9th, 2021
- Willmar Stingers: Gardy set to appear in Willmar - West Central Tribune - May 9th, 2021
- Ron Bumblefoot Thal: Every time I do an acoustic version of something, I realize how beautiful the song is at its core - Guitar World - May 9th, 2021
- God rejoices in the truth | Religion | gettysburgtimes.com - Gettysburg Times - April 25th, 2021
- Do donors have too much influence over universities? - University World News - April 25th, 2021
- Five States Where Republicans Are Trying to Block Marijuana Legalization - CelebStoner - April 25th, 2021
- Here's Brunch, a pop-up, weekend email during the 2021 Legislative Session 4.25.21 - Florida Politics - April 25th, 2021
- Fredrick Brennan Is the Founder of 8chan. Now He Wants to Take It Offline. - Jacobin magazine - April 21st, 2021
- Party Politics: The Politics of Scandal - Houston Public Media - April 19th, 2021
- Ron Price's coaching longevity will be tough to eclipse - Los Angeles Times - April 19th, 2021
- Rekha Basu: I've had a vaccine 'passport' since childhood. What's all the fuss about? - desmoinesregister.com - April 19th, 2021
- How to improve policing in Florida and beyond | Letters - Tampa Bay Times - April 19th, 2021
- Winter's return, threat of new health restrictions tough blows for businesses - Winnipeg Free Press - April 19th, 2021
- Stephen Colbert Goes Off On Ron Paul Wearing 'Daisy Dukes' Shorts In Interview - HuffPost - April 15th, 2021
- Can You Get a 'Vaccine Passport'? And Other Questions, Answered - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- The Lessons of the Afghan War - National Review - April 15th, 2021
- Trump's early endorsements reveal GOP rift | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- This Florida Man may lead the GOP out of the wilderness | Column - Tampa Bay Times - April 15th, 2021
- Recent UW grad, an Afghan Kurdish poet, wins $90,000 scholarship for immigrants with exceptional potential - University of Wisconsin-Madison - April 15th, 2021
- Ron Paul: Why Is Biden Administration Pushing Ukraine To Attack Russia? OpEd - Eurasia Review - April 6th, 2021
- Ron Paul Warns of Government Crackdown on Bitcoin 'The Government Is the Threat' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 6th, 2021
- "The government is the threat" says Ron Paul on Bitcoin - Techstory - April 6th, 2021
- Ron Paul: The government is the threat against Bitcoin Explica .co - Explica - April 6th, 2021
- Kane Honored With Senate Joint Resolution For His WWE Hall Of Fame Induction - Wrestling Inc. - April 6th, 2021