Ritholtz and Brown are impresarios of the Twitterverse and the presiding geniuses behind the fast-growing Ritholtz Wealth Management. In a recent talk with Barrons, they talked about their market views and the charms of direct indexing. Here, in an edited outtake from the interview, the two discuss the allure of Tesla, Bitcoin, and special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs).
Barrons: In a wild year, some wild investments captured investors imagination. Tesla (TSLA) has shot up 731% so far this year; Bitcoin reached an all-time high of more than $23,000, and SPACsshell companies created to go public in order to acquire a private company, became the hottest mechanism in M&A. Whats going on?
Brown:Jack Bogle [founder of Vanguard and inventor of the index fund] has done more for the profession of asset management and individual investors than Warren Buffett, but one of the things that bothered me about his acolytes and the puritanical movement around indexing in general, its how it doesnt allow for the idea that sometimes people just feel like speculating, because they want to. Its their money. Its their life. We of course want to play around with Tesla. So I think that stuff has a place in portfolios.
Lets start with your thoughts on Bitcoin.
Brown: Whether or not Bitcoin increases in prominence among institutional investors and then trickles down into individuals wealth management accounts, remains to be seen. I can completely picture it. Bitcoin could be the next generation version of gold, but that part of the story is not as interesting, and were not building positions in Bitcoin [based on] that. Right now financial advisors are terrified to add cryptocurrencies, because nobody wants to be the first one to get sued for blowing up a clients account with Bitcoin.
And SPACs? These shell companies reemerged as a way to take private companies public without going through the traditional vetting an initial public offering requires. SPACs dont have a great track recordare they as risky as they used to be?
Brown: Theyre actually extremely conservative. Theyre basically piles of cash. So hedge funds can buy them and [say] theyre invested. But theyre not invested. They own cash with an option to become invested. They can flip it the day of an announced deal, or even vote against the deal. So its a clever way for managers who are expected to put money to work, but dont have ideas or dont want to take that much risk. SPACs are speculative if you hold them past the point that they make their acquisition, because then you are investing in a business that was vetted essentially by one investor, rather than a traditional IPO roadshow. Had Nikola (NKLA) tried to go public as a traditional IPO, it never would have made it.
Ritholtz: Why should SPACs follow any different type of performance distribution than mutual funds or ETFs or hedge funds? Ninety percent of everything is junk.
Brown: Their historical performance is atrocious. Its because the type of company that historically did the SPAC wasnt good enough to warrant their own traditional idea. Now, I am somewhat sympathetic to the idea that a SPAC is professionalizing. But not all of them.
Ritholtz: Theyre competing with each other for the same handful of things.
What are your thoughts on Tesla, which just entered the S&P 500?
Ritholtz: Everybody looks at Tesla wrong. Teslas already shifted the paradigm. Theyve already won. Whatever happens with the stock price of Tesla is almost irrelevant. I did an analysis recently that looked at the 10 most valuable car manufacturers. About half their value comes from the electric car side. Traditional automakers are thinking were not going to let Elon Musk do to us what Jeff Bezos has done to booksellers and retailers.
Tesla and Bitoin represented totally different things. Tesla is basically a recognition that no matter what the president says, the world is shifting towards renewable and green energy. Look at the price of coal under an anti-green president. Look at the price of oil. The market has already decided this new technology is the future. Ultimately its going to be Mercedes (DAI.Germany), BMW (BMW.Germany), Honda (HMC), Volkswagen (VOW.Germany), and Toyota (TM) are going to be worlds leading electric car producers.
Brown: I find it funny that a huge swath of the industry thinks its more conservative to have held ExxonMobil (XOM) over the last 10 years, [which is essentially] deliberate climate science denialand that actively trying to address climate science [via Tesla], thats the speculative play. As weve learned, Exxon is now a shell of its former self. The idea that it could hang onto oil forever was more speculative than the idea we could build batteries.
Thank you, gentlemen.
Read more here:
Ritholz And Brown Riff On Tesla, Bitcoin, And SPACs - Barron's
- GameStop and Bitcoin Renewed a Push to Digitize the Stock Market - The Wall Street Journal - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin exchange Kraken considers going public after record trading volumes in the first quarter - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- At $60,000, Is Bitcoin Too Expensive? - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- 'We've reached a tipping point' on bitcoin adoption, Fidelity's Tom Jessop says - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- This Financial Advisor Thinks Bitcoin Could Be Headed for Mass Adoption - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- Is there a future for bitcoin? An investor and a skeptic debate - The Verge - April 9th, 2021
- Fidelity Says Bitcoin Adoption Will Keep Accelerating 'We've Reached a Tipping Point' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- The IRS wants to know all about your Bitcoin holdings --- and this court summons is a reminder - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- Gold, Stocks, and Bitcoin: Weekly Overview April 8 - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- BIGtoken to Host Webinar on Thursday, April 15, 2021 to Discuss Bitcoin 2021 and Beyond - Business Wire - April 9th, 2021
- Kevin OLeary says he will only buy bitcoin mined with clean energy, and none mined in China - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- Ripple Granted Access to SEC Documents on Bitcoin, Ether in Ongoing XRP Fight - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- Why the Market is Thinking About Bitcoin Differently - Visual Capitalist - April 9th, 2021
- Texas A&M Mays Innovation Research Center To Host Bitcoin Conference April 16-17 - Texas A&M University Today - April 9th, 2021
- Economist Says Bitcoin Isn't Too Big to Fail Warns BTC Can Only Establish Itself if Governments Allow It Regulation - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- More companies are accepting bitcoin, including PayPal and Xbox - Business Insider - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Crypto Market Smashes Through $2 Trillion As The Price Of Ethereum, Binance Coin, Litecoin And Ripples XRP Suddenly Soar - Forbes - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin: The Aperture Of Money - Bitcoin Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Chipotle is giving away burritos and Bitcoin. Heres how to play - WBTW - April 2nd, 2021
- Ether Rises to Record as Crypto Rally Broadens Beyond Bitcoin - Bloomberg - April 2nd, 2021
- Chipotle giving away $100,000 in free burritos and $100,000 in Bitcoin today - syracuse.com - April 2nd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin Ever Become Truly Mainstream? - Motley Fool - April 2nd, 2021
- CoinShares Partners With Canadas 3iQ to Launch New Bitcoin ETF on TSX - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Could Bitcoin Solve The Oil Flaring Problem? - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Irish Police Investigate Massive Bitcoin Scam That Allegedly Stole Millions From High-Net-Worth Individuals News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Why Is Ethereum Surging, Outperforming Bitcoin Today? - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin miners and fracking companies are working together - Quartz - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Unleashes The Sovereign Individual - Bitcoin Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): Hows It Differ From Bitcoin and Whats It Worth? - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- BNY Mellon Report Compares Bitcoin and Gold, Study Says 'Gold Is the Only Globally Accepted Currency' Economics Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin's Got Talent crew talks Bitcoin culture and development on CoinGeek Weekly Livestream episode 8 - CoinGeek - April 2nd, 2021
- The Power of ETH and BCH: Smart Bitcoin Cash Project Highlights Innovative Sidechain Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin uses as much energy as Sweden and is on course to use even more - Business Insider - April 2nd, 2021
- A Crypto Exchange Weighs Going Public. Bitcoin Is Just That Hot. - Barron's - March 31st, 2021
- Cathie Wood On Bitcoin: '$1 Trillion Is Nothing Compared To Where This Will Ultimately Be' - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Marathon Digital Holdings to Launch the First North American-Based Bitcoin Mining Pool, Fully Compliant with U.S. Regulations - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin for Babe Ruth? Sports auction house will accept crypto - Aljazeera.com - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF Proposals: The SEC's Long History Of Rejections - Benzinga - March 31st, 2021
- Spanish Island Government Decides to Sell Its Bitcoin Investment by Citing 'Ethical' Reasons News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 31st, 2021
- If History Is Any Indication, $200,000 Bitcoin Is Coming In 2021 - Bitcoin Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Here's When the Winklevoss Twins First Discovered Bitcoin - The Motley Fool - March 31st, 2021
- HashWatt.io - HashWatt Sustainable Bitcoin Mining and Captive ESG Energy Development Company announces completion of 2nd financing round to expand... - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin draws millions of workers sending their money abroad - Quartz Africa - March 31st, 2021
- Everything you need to know about bitcoin and the crypto revolution underway - MarketWatch - March 31st, 2021
- ARK Invest CEO Cathie Wood On Bitcoin: "$1 Trillion Is Nothing" - Bitcoin Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Ray Dalio: The government 'outlawing bitcoin is a good probability' - CNBC - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin draws millions of workers sending their money abroad - Quartz - March 26th, 2021
- Jack Dorsey wants the entire world to know hes got a bitcoin clock - The Verge - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin options worth $6bn expiring today: What does it mean for investors? - Mint - March 26th, 2021
- One Ultra-Rare Metal Is Doing Much Better Than Bitcoin This Year - Bloomberg - March 26th, 2021
- Dalio on Bitcoin: 'Good Probability' It Will 'Outlawed' by US Gov - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF The race to follow the trend - Mint - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin, crypto investors will be watching these 5 questions facing the Biden administration - MarketWatch - March 26th, 2021
- Guide: What is Bitcoin and how does it work? - CBBC Newsround - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin could surge to $300,000 but winter could last for years when the bubble bursts, says crypto entrepreneur - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) ETF: Fidelity Applies for Fund That Tracks the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - March 25th, 2021
- Wall Street banks diverge in views on bitcoin boom - Financial Times - March 25th, 2021
- Good probability the U.S. will outlaw bitcoin: Ray Dalio - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin volatility is here to stay, top technician warns - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Blockchain.com Raises $300 Million as Investors Find Other Ways Into Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - March 25th, 2021
- NYDIG Cuts Total Cost of Bitcoin Access to 0.30% - PRNewswire - March 25th, 2021
- Norway is the worlds most cashless country but its central bank isn't keen on bitcoin: 'It doesnt preserve stability' - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin-Based DeFi Project Sovryn Near Agreement on $10M Investment From Pomp - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Mystery Whale Moves 20 Bitcoin Block Rewards from 2010, Entity Moved 10000 BTC Since Last Year Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoins, coming soon to an ATM near you? - CBS News - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is All the Rage, But DeFi Could Be Even Bigger - ETFdb.com - ETFdb.com - March 25th, 2021
- Bank Of America Calls Bitcoin 'Impractical,' And Crypto Community Has A Lot To Say About That - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Stock Market Today With Jim Cramer: Tesla and Bitcoin - TheStreet - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin, Tesla And GameStop: Ten Numbers That Sum Up The Fastest Market Recovery Ever - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- 'Demand to surge': Expert's $70,000 Bitcoin prediction - Yahoo Finance Australia - February 12th, 2021
- Uber wont buy bitcoin with its cash but would consider accepting it as payment, CEO says - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Beyond Bitcoin: The wild world of altcoin cryptocurrency trading - CNET - February 12th, 2021
- Long-awaited bitcoin ETF could finally get approved this year, market analyst says - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin outlook: the long term picture looks very sound - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- Fintech giant Adyen says it has no interest in bitcoin as a payment method and clients aren't asking for it - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Dollar headed for weekly loss, bitcoin hits record $49,000 - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- 7 public companies with exposure to bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- Not Just Bitcoin, Paypal's Vision Involves Central Bank Digital Currencies Too: What You Need To Know - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: What It Is and How It Works - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- BlockFi Launches the BlockFi Bitcoin Trust - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2021