The ability to perform together is imperative to any music school experience. So, what happens when a pandemic challenges students from sharing music in the same physical space? Over the last year, staff, students and faculty from The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music implemented innovative technology solutions to help keep everyone connected, despite physical distancing.
The big experiment says Luis Henao, director of Music Technology and Production at the School of Music, was how to play together, but to be safe at the same time. And, the only way to do that is to find technology solutions, which was a big challenge.
To overcome this hurdle, Henao and colleague Jose Carillo, assistant director of Music Production and Instructional Technology, researched various software that would allow students to play together from the safety and comfort of their home in as close to real time as possible. Commercial video conferencing software such as Zoom typically produce a lag time that prevents musicians from precisely aligning their parts. As a result, the technology team consulted with colleagues who were adopting similar technology at other music institutions. The technology team decided the best solution was to move forward with implementing two software programs called SonoBus and Jamulus, which provides low latency. In simple terms, this decreases the lag time for audio and live performance streaming to travel between musicians.
With solutions for remote learning and performing falling into place, it was also important that students and faculty know how to use them. The newly formed 2020-21 Graduate Council noticed the urgent need for technology training following the rapid change to remote learning.
Its a matter of equity, said Graduate Council Secretary Janet Kim. We didnt have any practical workshops in place for this new technology to allow people to understand how to use this software to have a better and more robust experience in a classroom setting. Therefore, the Graduate Council members contacted Inaugural Dean Eileen Strempel, who quickly connected them with Henaos team. The dean supported all of it, said Kim. Shes the one who got the ball rolling.
The outcome was the launch of virtual tech workshops on topics ranging from Digital Audio Workstations Production: Basics to Recording Yourself: Set-up, Hardware, and Connectivity to Telematic Performance: Jamulus, and more. 200 people attended the training boot camps, taught by experts and several members of the Graduate Council.
We wanted to give students and faculty a repository of centralized recommendations to say, Heres what could work very well for you, said President of the Graduate Council Anthony Constantino.
Henao and Carillo also offered customized one-on-one training sessions for students and faculty tailored to their specific needs such as how to install the software or how to connect their microphone for their particular instrument or combo.
As the School of Music moves toward re-opening for in-person and hybrid instruction this fall, upgrades to classrooms and other facilities will also be key to allowing students to perform together effectively and safely. Work has been ongoing behind the scenes to connect pairs of classrooms with low latency connections for real-time audio and video music sessions between those spaces. Henaos team set up six pairs of rooms in the spring of 2020, which will be used for lessons and other collaborations.
The paired classrooms are just one technical solution the team executed. Another, explains Henao, is to send audio through the local network that is called Audio over Ethernet. The same way you can use the local network to print something, you can use it to send audio. This technology allows students and faculty to connect from any room at the School of Music with a data port that delivers real-time audio using the correct hardware and software through the Ethernet. This will also make collaboration possible between multiple rooms.
Henao used Professor of Global Jazz Studies Arturo OFarrills Jazz Combos ensemble rehearsal as an example. Arturo can be in his own studio, and just needs to connect the microphone to the wall, using the data port where you connect your computer. Meanwhile, each student could play from their own classroom or practice room after connecting their microphone with their data port. Everybody can then listen to each other, so they can play together in sync through the local network.
Another vital component to the upgrades is livestreaming. While the School of Music already had the capability of livestreaming performances before the pandemic, all classrooms will now be able to livestream for hybrid classes in the fall.
Staying connected also means staying informed. Those returning to campus in September will notice new high quality digital signage in five locations throughout the School of Music. Monitors in the hallways will display messages about facilities, student services and campus announcements. A new screen in the Evelyn & Mo Ostin Music Center Music Caf will feature upcoming events and public announcements, and a kiosk in the lobby of Schoenberg Hall will show event promotions.
I think its going to be a great way to communicate with students in areas of the building where there is high foot traffic, and also share information with the general public, said Alex Echevarria, operations manager for the School of Music, who is coordinating the digital signage project along with Brian Runt, content marketing manager for the schools strategic communications and marketing team.
These forward-thinking technology solutions and upgrades represent the School of Musics continued investments in producing 21st century leading-edge work. As a result of being at the forefront of implementing low latency connection for the School of Music, Henao is now serving on UCLAs campus committee, which focuses on providing a consistent level of AV technology to all classrooms campuswide. With this swift shift in adapting to emerging technologies, students are also newly equipped with lasting benefits and skills.
After the pandemic is finished, I dont think these new demands for music and audio technology are going to be going away, said Constantino. As musicians, were still going to be expected to work in this way now. Kim seconded that, These are actual tools that are necessary during the pandemic, and moving forward, as students need to send out audition recordings or similar projects.
We are thrilled that our students are prepared to flourish in the ever-evolving musical landscape and look forward to enjoying the upgrades firsthand.
- Rackspace Technology Named a Top 15 Sourcing Standout by ISG - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Enhancing the impact of Technology Modernization Fund - FCW.com - May 11th, 2021
- Converge Technology Solutions Corp. Wins Five IBM Awards Including Top North America National Sell Business Partner of the Year - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- DLS Technology Corporation Recipient of the 2020 Citrix Innovation Award for Partners - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Hempacco and Open Book Extracts to Debut Hemp Cigarette Flavoring Technology at Industry's Largest Annual Trade Show - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Experts to Discuss the Future of the Technology Supply Chain - inForney.com - May 11th, 2021
- Funny faces in face recognition could increase phone security with new technology - NBC2 News - May 11th, 2021
- Technically speaking: How technology helped save independent Dallas restaurants during the pandemic - The Dallas Morning News - May 11th, 2021
- Why International Game Technology Stock Popped Today - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2021
- Lack of Time for Analysis, Adoption of New Technology and Data Limitations are Top Challenges Facing Finance Teams, According to insightsoftware... - May 11th, 2021
- High Technology Is Best STEM School In Nation - Patch.com - May 11th, 2021
- Multiple Texas State, Local Governments and Education Institutions Modernize with GTY Technology Solutions for Digital Transformation - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan freshens up with new styling, technology, and touch controls - The Car Connection - May 11th, 2021
- Why Technology Could Be The Answer For The Global Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Marchex to Participate in the 16th Annual Virtual Needham Virtual Technology & Media Conference - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Merkle Technologies Set to Launch Revolutionary Blockchain Technology that will Enhance Ledger Communication - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Fungicide Approved with Three-Way Biological, Chemical and Nano Technologies - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - May 11th, 2021
- Worldwide Mobile Robotics Industry to 2029 - Featuring Northrop Grumman, Adept Technology and John Deere Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- Global Sports Technology Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring IBM, Cisco and Ericsson Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 10 Hot Data Center Technologies And Trends To Watch In 2021 - CRN - May 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Oleoresins Global Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- FICS Hosts 34th Annual Users' Conference, Promotes Education in Technology for Continued Success - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Loop inks LOI to become official technology partner to $2.7B All Net Resort and Arena Project in Las Vegas - Proactive Investors USA - May 11th, 2021
- Shift Technology raises $220M at a $1B+ valuation to fight insurance fraud with AI - TechCrunch - May 11th, 2021
- Hearing aids for the masses: How changing technology and government policy can help - The Denver Post - April 25th, 2021
- Safety belts, the postal 'service' and using technology - Antelope Valley Press - April 25th, 2021
- FHSU Hosting Technology Education Fair - KSAL - April 25th, 2021
- New Oriental Education & Technology Group (NYSE:EDU) May Have Issues Allocating Its Capital - Yahoo Finance - April 25th, 2021
- Cloud software marketplaces are linchpin to driving innovative technology solutions into DoD - C4ISRNet - April 25th, 2021
- Technology allowed Extension to keep doing its job - Traverse City Record Eagle - April 25th, 2021
- Abbott Vascular: delivering vascular care in 2021 | Technology & AI - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - April 25th, 2021
- The Future of Retail: BOPIS 2.0 and RFID Technology | RFID JOURNAL - RFID Journal - April 25th, 2021
- How can technology bridge fintech and SMEs to ease the lending process - YourStory - April 25th, 2021
- The good, the bad and the truly horrifying potential of CRISPR technology | TheHill - The Hill - April 25th, 2021
- How Technology Is Revolutionizing Wildlife Photography - Fstoppers - April 25th, 2021
- This has just become a big week for AI regulation - MIT Technology Review - April 25th, 2021
- SEC Commissioner on Banning Bitcoin: 'It's Very Difficult to Ban Peer-to-Peer Technology' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 25th, 2021
- Russia will rework technology developed for the ISS for its space station - SlashGear - April 25th, 2021
- Paritosh Jauhari Joins Successive Technologies as Chief Technology Officer - PR Newswire India - April 23rd, 2021
- Amazon's cashierless checkout technology is coming to its new supermarkets - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Blockchain Technology Market Value Reach US$ 3.7 Billion By 2020 Covering Pre And Post COVID-19 Market Analysis: Acumen Research And Consulting -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Verrency Ranked Number 1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in Australia on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2020 Ranking - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Wearable technology market was valued at USD 116.2 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 265.4 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 18.0%... - April 23rd, 2021
- Sharing Economy International Invests to develop NFT Technology into ECrent to Open Up Digital Items Sharing - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Inclusive Making course focuses on disabled users in technology spaces - Daily Northwestern - April 23rd, 2021
- How smart technology can drive the decarbonisation of transport - AirQualityNews - April 23rd, 2021
- Abel Noser Solutions Expands Their Technology Group with New Hires - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- EyeWay Vision Joins Technology Innovation Collective The LaSAR Alliance | ARPost - ARPost - April 23rd, 2021
- Visionox Technology, Inc. and Universal Display Corporation Extend Long-Term OLED Agreements - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- SBA Announces First-of-Its-Kind Technology Initiative for Restaurant Revitalization Fund - Drgnews - April 23rd, 2021
- Dow and Mura Technology announce partnership to scale game-changing new advanced recycling solution for plastics - Yahoo Finance - April 23rd, 2021
- II-VI Incorporated Inaugurates Technology and R&D Center in Shanghai - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Skycatch Announces New Technology Initiatives to Achieve Climate-Resilient Infrastructure Globally - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- JetBlue Technology Ventures Invests in Universal Hydrogen to Support the Airline's Ambitious Sustainability Strategy - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Apria Healthcare Collaborates with Rackspace Technology to Leave the Data Center Resulting in Improved Customer Experience and Increased Savings -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Interactive College of Technology and DeVry University Partner to Create Unique Academic Pathway to Offer Students Easy Transfer - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Airbiquity and NXP Expand Technology Collaboration to Address Automaker Challenges with Managing Software and Data for Intelligent Connected Vehicles... - April 23rd, 2021
- DNA technology leads to arrest of man accused of sexually assaulting girl at East Texas camp - Tyler Morning Telegraph - April 23rd, 2021
- Lumeda Selected as one of the 25 Technology Companies to Watch in the Greater Hartford Area - WFMZ Allentown - April 23rd, 2021
- Accelerating Turnover to New Technology Diesel Engines, Increased use of Biobased Diesel Fuels Ensures Steady Progress on Carbon Reduction, Clean Air... - April 23rd, 2021
- Professional Sports Authenticator Acquires Genamint to Introduce Next-Generation Technology to Grading Process - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- When Seconds Count: The Technology That Saved Lives In Oologah's Powerful 1991 Tornado - News On 6 - April 23rd, 2021
- Digital Health Technologies Market is Projected to Reach USD 68.17 billion and Rise at CAGR of 4.80% by 2028 - GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, Abbott, Bosch... - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Use Technology to Prepare for Travel During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- Frasil: Deciphering Technology to Reduce Isolation and Improve Communication of PLWDs - Analytics Insight - April 15th, 2021
- The Blacks in Technology Foundation Partners with Apprenti to Increase Black Representation Across the Tech Industry - PRNewswire - April 15th, 2021
- Nokia technology chief: The future is in software - FierceWireless - April 15th, 2021
- DUG Technology, Curtin University Enter Into Supercomputing Partnership - HPCwire - April 15th, 2021
- Outlook on the Wireless Charging Global Market to 2026 - by Technology, Transmission Range, Application and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - April 15th, 2021
- Beth.Technology Announces Major Rebrand to I/O Fund - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Ivy Tech receives $17k in sheet metal donation for Automotive Technology Program - WANE - April 15th, 2021
- Fed OIGs Leveraging Technology to Adjust to Pandemic Landscape - MeriTalk - April 15th, 2021
- Pre- and Post-COVID, Technology Is Reshaping Admissions Forever | Call to Action: Marketing and Communications in Higher Education - Inside Higher Ed - April 15th, 2021
- We Dont Need Tech Infomercials - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- This information technology stock has zoomed 134% in 6 weeks - Business Standard - April 15th, 2021
- 2021 Leadership Quadrant of Millimeter Wave Technology Suppliers - 8 Companies Included Such as Ridgewave, E-Band and Lightpointe -... - April 15th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccine technology is paving the way for a whole new approach to flu shots - The Spokesman-Review - April 15th, 2021
- Japan's ticket to zero carbon could be century-old technology - The Japan Times - April 15th, 2021
- ABERDEEN INTERNATIONAL (TSX:AAB, FR:A8H, OTC:AABVF) Technology Partner T2M Global Selected by the US Department Of Energy to Use AES-100 Technology to... - April 15th, 2021
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) TechVision Opportunity, Annual Subscription - Latest Global Innovations and Developments - Yahoo Finance UK - April 15th, 2021