Dr Joel Akande
Let me clarify a common misconception immediately now. To medical doctors, eczema is a distinct skin illness. This is different from what the general public considers as eczema. In the perception of the public, eczema covers practically all common skin diseases.
This should not be so. On the other hand, eczema and dermatitis are frequently used as if they mean the same thing. First, dermatosis. Dermatosis means any skin disease. Dermatitis means inflammation of the skin as measured by swelling, heat generation, pain and change in colour.
What is Eczema? Coming from the Greek word, ekzein, eczema means to boil out as a result of the evolution of the skin changes under eczema.
Eczema, therefore, has the following characteristics: rashes (macules for example), redness, crusting of skin, oedema or swelling, thickening of the skin due to repeated and frequent rubbing of or scratching of the skin and finally changes in the skin colour.
We should not forget that the disposition of the individual to develop eczema is equally important. The changes in colour and thickening occur at a later development or weeks after the initial changes as mentioned above. The first is acute and the second is called chronic eczema.
Types of Eczema: I will only mention here that eczema can be classified as endogenous (internal) or exogenous (internal). Of the internal, atopic eczema is perhaps the commonest. I will discuss a brief of this condition later as its seen in a lot of ways in children.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis seen frequently on the scalp of children and women is also common. Other conditions are discoid eczema, pompholyx and peeling skin syndrome. For exogenous eczema, hand dermatitis, irritant dermatitis, photo dermatitis, infective eczema, allergic contact dermatitis, exfoliative and perioral dermatitis are common examples.
I will now discuss a few of the common forms of eczema amongst our population.
Atopic eczema (dermatitis): This is a common illness and is said to account for about 20 per cent of skin disorders seen at skin clinics.
Children fed on cows milk rather than on breast milk are more likely to develop atopic eczema. Children fed on mixed breast and cows milk are also at risk.
Causes of atopic eczema: The human body reacts to intolerable agent internally but later shows up in the skin. Some diseases such as deficiency in some vitamins (biotin), cystic fibrosis may lead to eczema. Atopic eczema may also develop due to infections such as staphylococcus infection.
How does atopic eczema present? Children, infants and adults are affected. And it can show up as early as 2 weeks of life.
There are patches in both sides of the body especially on the joints of elbows, behind the knees, cheeks and forehead. Widespread dry skin involvement may occur. Itching and scratching, dryness of the skin, crusting are present.
The skin become thickened and may become infected. The face may be affected too. By age of 2-3 years, the eczema may or may not disappear only to reappear later in childhood and adulthood.
Treatment: Information and knowledge is power. Its important that adult victims and parents of children should get as much knowledge and information about the eczema as much as possible.
Atopic eczema requires intervention of specialist dermatologist. The medical doctor will endeavor to contain troublesome itching as well as ensuring the dry crusted skin remain moist.
Doctors are also likely to pay attention to curtailing inflammation and preventing occurrence of underlying causes.
Other common and important eczematous forms are contact dermatitis.
This indicates that there are agents that the sufferers have been in contact with that are ultimately responsible for the eczema now being suffered. Seborrhoeic dermatitis is common and will require a physicians attention.
See the rest here:
Revisit on skin diseases: eczema (3) - The Nation Newspaper
- What To Know About CBD And Eczema - The Fresh Toast - June 17th, 2020
- Eczema rash: The warning sign your skin condition has developed an infection - Express - June 17th, 2020
- Eczema cream: Dermatologists reveal the top three emollients to relieve itchy, sore skin - Express.co.uk - June 17th, 2020
- Atopic Eczema Treatment Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- All about inflammation - Harvard Health - Harvard Health - June 17th, 2020
- Get rid of skin diseases with Swami Ramdev's yoga asanas, pranayamas and home remedies - India TV News - June 17th, 2020
- Elizabeth Gilbert had 18 months with the love of her life. Here's what she knows about grief. - Mamamia - June 17th, 2020
- Skincare science and the microbiome - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2020
- COVID 19 Prevention: The Good, The Bad and The Other. - Adventist News Network - June 17th, 2020
- Is Multi-Moisturizing the New Multi-Masking? All Signs Point to Yes - Well+Good - June 17th, 2020
- 3 ways to get rid of eczema and prevent flare ups - Insider - INSIDER - June 6th, 2020
- Binghamton biomedical researchers get closer to why eczema happens - Binghamton University - June 6th, 2020
- Eczema treatment - the 1 natural oil to protect against dry and itchy skin at home - Express - June 6th, 2020
- Acupuncture For Fertility And TCM Improve Chances Of Conception And Pregnancy And Mitigates Side Effects Of IVF Treatment - Press Release - Digital... - June 6th, 2020
- 6 types of eczema: Symptoms and causes - May 25th, 2020
- Eczema rash: The one surprising irritant you may be wearing - Express - May 25th, 2020
- Eczema treatment: The best oil to prevent dry skin - and you've probably got it at home - Express.co.uk - May 25th, 2020
- Happy Hands, Part 2: Best Hand Creams In The House And On The Road - Forbes - May 25th, 2020
- Preventing Coronavirus Exposure When You Have Psoriasis and Eczema - Everyday Health - April 9th, 2020
- Natural Moisturizers That Will Soothe Dry Skin From All Your Hand Washing - HuffPost Canada - April 9th, 2020
- Here's Why Regenerons Stock Is Worth More Than Its Coronavirus Work - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2020
- 1 protein in the skin kickstarts a pesky itch - Futurity: Research News - April 9th, 2020
- The 9 Best Bath Salts and Soaks of 2020 Reviews - Allure - April 9th, 2020
- Covid-19: Frequent hand-washing, sanitising giving rise to skin problems - New Straits Times Online - April 9th, 2020
- Scientists identify a protein that switches on allergic itching - New Atlas - April 9th, 2020
- Do You Have 'Iso Skin'? Why Your Face Is Freaking Out And How To Fix It - 10 daily - April 9th, 2020
- 5 best skin care products to help with stress, according to Dr. Pimple Popper - TODAY - April 9th, 2020
- Shop a Revolutionary Hand Sanitizer For Sensitive Skin - DuJour - dujour.com - April 9th, 2020
- Eczema, dermatitis and how to treat dry, flaky and itchy skin - ABC News - March 24th, 2020
- Best ways to treat eczema - Daily Monitor - March 24th, 2020
- This $4 Hand Cream Has Allowed Me to Wash My Eczema-Ridden Hands Ten Times a Day - New York Magazine - March 24th, 2020
- Hand-washing over coronavirus has created a dry skin epidemic - what to do - Coventry Telegraph - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus: How to properly care for dry hands caused by hand-washing and sanitiser, according to dermatologists - The Independent - March 24th, 2020
- 10 Products That Delighted Us Last Week: From Track Suits to Tarot Decks - New York Magazine - March 24th, 2020
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - March 9th, 2020
- Mum says son with eczema was able to have his first bubble bath thanks to new product - Manchester Evening News - March 9th, 2020
- View: Can daily application of an emollient from birth prevent the development of atopic eczema? - Hospital Healthcare Europe - March 9th, 2020
- Heart attack symptoms: The painful skin condition that could increase risk by 50 percent - Express - March 9th, 2020
- 'The best emollient is one the patient uses' - prescribing emollients in primary care - Pulse - March 9th, 2020
- Woman tells of how 17 beauty product massively improved her eczema - RSVP Live - March 9th, 2020
- How to Heal Dry, Cracked Hands From Washing Your Hands So Damn Much - Self - March 9th, 2020
- Eczema sufferer reveals that Dragon's Den product dramatically improved her skin - FM104 - March 9th, 2020
- Dealing with stress: How it affects your skin and what to do about it - Gulf Today - March 9th, 2020
- Love Being Outdoors? Protect Your Skin All Year - Osprey Observer - March 9th, 2020
- How to keep your hands clean without getting dry skin - The Guardian - March 9th, 2020
- Eczema: Definition, Causes, Treatments, and Pictures - February 29th, 2020
- Eczema: Symptoms, treatment, and causes - February 29th, 2020
- 7 Types of Eczema: Symptoms, Causes, and Pictures - February 29th, 2020
- 'Life-changing': Calls for eczema drug to be PBS listed to help with mental health - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 29th, 2020
- Daily moisturizers ineffective in preventing Eczema - Medical Herald - February 29th, 2020
- How stress affects your skin and what to do about it, according to experts - The Independent - February 29th, 2020
- Are You Getting Any? I Used To Think Casual Sex Was Shameful Now Its Fun - VICE UK - February 29th, 2020
- Skin allergies - The Nation - January 27th, 2020
- Charlize Theron thought daughter looked like a 'lizard' - The Laconia Daily Sun - January 27th, 2020
- Man tormented by severe eczema took heroin overdose to kill himself - Lancashire Telegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Eczema: Does this unsightly skin condition worsen with age? Experts have their say - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Ease The Symptoms Of Eczema With The Aid Of This Natural Herb - International Business Times - January 25th, 2020
- Best supplements for eczema: This natural herb could help ease symptoms of the condition - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Dry Eyelids: Heres Exactly How to Treat Them, According to Dermatologists - Self - January 25th, 2020
- Eczema treatment: How to exercise without causing a flare-up - four key tips - Express - January 25th, 2020
- Girl with severe eczema told her mum she 'didn't want to look at herself in the mirror' - she's now a model - Manchester Evening News - January 25th, 2020
- Girl, 8, whose eczema is so severe it turns skin purple lands dream job with M&S - Mirror Online - January 25th, 2020
- Dupixent (dupilumab) available to treat adolescents with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in Scotland1 - PharmiWeb.com - January 25th, 2020
- Girl with severe eczema told mum 'I don't want to look at myself in the mirror' - Liverpool Echo - January 25th, 2020
- Charlize Theron recounts the 1st moment she met her daughter - Today.com - January 25th, 2020
- Dupixent (dupilumab), accepted for restricted use within NHS Wales for the treatment of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in adolescents aged 12 -... - January 25th, 2020
- Im a dermatologist, and these are the mistakes I see people make when treating eczema - Well+Good - January 18th, 2020
- Alitretinoin an Effective Option in Children With Hand Eczema - Dermatology Advisor - January 18th, 2020
- News Local mom and engineer starts soap company inspired by her son with eczema Anu Prakash - WXYZ - January 18th, 2020
- Sheffield study of newborn babies seeks to prevent eczema - The Star - January 18th, 2020
- Putting the Pro in Probiotics | Nutrition and Fitness | iosconews.com - Iosco County News Herald - January 18th, 2020
- Itchy face: Causes, symptoms, and treatment - Medical News Today - January 18th, 2020
- 4 things to know about eczema - WRAL.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bucks students urged to think before they comment on eczema - Mix 96 - January 18th, 2020
- John Turturro On The Future Of HBOs The Night Of TCA - Deadline - January 18th, 2020
- 12 Itchy Skin Treatments That Work, According to Dermatologists - Prevention.com - January 18th, 2020
- The 12 COSRX Products Every Skin-Care Fiend Should Have - New York Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Global Eczema Therapeutics Market 2020-2024| Evolving Opportunities with AbbVie Inc. and Bayer AG | Technavio - Business Wire - December 17th, 2019
- I started my coffee body scrub business with 450 now its turned over 15m and Maisie Smith is a fan - The Sun - December 17th, 2019
- Common Itching Causes and Fixes, According to Dermatologists - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 17th, 2019