As psychedelics are being embraced as a potential treatment for mental health conditions, new research suggests that mind-altering substances like 'magic' mushrooms leave people feeling positive and socially connected hours after the high wears off.
The study by Yale University, surveying 1,200 Brits and Americans at six music festivals, provided evidence to support lab-based research that psychedelic drugs can boost wellbeing.
Between 2015 and 2017, teams of researchers set up "Play Games for Science" booths in busy areas at their selected festivals between 10 AM and 1 PM, encouraging people to come and speak to them. Participants spent 15 minutes filling out surveys on their use of psychoactive substances, as well as age, gender, level of religiousness, political orientation and level of education.
Each person was asked whether they'd had a transformative experience at the festival defined as "an experience that changes you so profoundly that you come out of the experience radically different than you were before the experience" and, if so, whether they enjoyed it.
Most of the participants were moderately liberal 30-year-olds who had attended four-year colleges. Some 80% of them drank alcohol at the festival, 50% used cannabis, and 26.6% used psychedelics. (Only 12.3% of festival goers reported taking zero substances.) Researchers only approached people who weren't noticeably drunk, and they put a question into their survey that functioned as a sobriety check, ruling out participants that were too drunk to answer correctly.
The researchers, led by neuroscientist Molly Crockett, found that the results were strongest in people who'd taken the drugs in the last 24 hours, though most seemed to be experiencing an "after glow" hours after the effects of the drugs should have worn off. They found people who'd taken psychedelics were more likely to feel positive, and some even experienced a shift in their moral values.
Crockett's team could not verify which drug each person was taking, how much of it, and whether it was mixed with other substances. But even their general findings were useful, echoing results in previous controlled laboratory studies that found psychedelics make us feel socially connected.
Crucially, they wanted to understand whether participants' expectations affected their 'high'. People taking psychedelics may have wanted or intended to have a transformative experience, Crockett told Insider, and the fact that attending an event might be a transformative experience even without psychedelics.
"We found that psychedelic use is associated with transformative experience over and above expecting and desiring such experiences," Crockett told Insider.
The study did not look at negative reactions beyond asking participants if their transformative experience had been positive or negative.
In the 1950s and 60s, psychedelic properties such as psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) were the subject of many scientific studies, but they fell out of favor as the drugs became associated with debauchery and hedonism.
Recently there's been a resurgence of scientific interest in the benefits of psilocybin. In 2018, researchers at John Hopkins, America's oldest research university,urged the federal government to legalize psilocybin.
Last year Johns Hopkins launched a center solely dedicated to psychedelics research. This came after a number of studies which looked at the effect psychedelics had on depression, anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorder.
"Something with more immediate effects has a huge benefit as a tool in the therapeutic toolbox," Matthew Johnson, PhD, an associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences, who authored his own psilocybin study, previously told Insider.
However, most research on the possible medical benefits of psychedelics takes place in a sterile lab environment, Crockett told Insider. It means scientists still don't have enough evidence to confirm if people will react to psychedelics in the real world the same way they would in a lab.
That's why Crockett led a group of researchers in visiting a bunch of music festivals, where psychedelics are often used to augment the musical experience, to find out what effect psychedelics might have in a natural setting.
"There is still a lot we don't understand about how psychedelics affect the brain and mind," Crockett told Insider. We need more research on how psychedelics "can be used to reduce suffering and enhance wellbeing, and how to minimize risks and potential negative effects associated with their use."
Researchers think magic mushrooms could have the potential to treat depression
A psychedelics expert says magic mushrooms will be approved for depression by 2027 here's why
Why psychedelics like magic mushrooms appear to kill the ego and fundamentally transform the brain
Read this article:
- Johns Hopkins Scientists Give Psychedelics the Serious ... - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelics Get a New Look, and PTSD Sufferers Might Have ... - July 25th, 2021
- Why Seelos Therapeutics Stock Is Jumping Today | The ... - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelic trips could soon be part of therapy heres what those sessions will look like - CNBC - July 25th, 2021
- AOC Promotes Research On Benefits Of Psychedelics Like Psilocybin And MDMA With New Amendment - Marijuana Moment - July 25th, 2021
- Michael Pollan on psychedelics and Americas dysfunctional relationship with drugs - Vox.com - July 25th, 2021
- Is It Too Early to Invest in Psychedelic Stocks? - The Motley Fool - July 25th, 2021
- Can Psychedelics Be Used to Treat Fibromyalgia? - Pain News Network - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelics Gain More Traction as New Research Aims to Address Chronic Pain and Mental Illness - PRNewswire - July 25th, 2021
- Doctors treating depression see promise in ketamine, a cheap drug already approved for anesthesia - ABC News - July 25th, 2021
- Cybin Lands Conditional Approval To Become The First Psychedelics Company on The NYSE - Markets Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Will Psychedelics Continue To Grow In 2021? Fund Managers Share Insights And Strategies As More Companies - Benzinga - July 25th, 2021
- Microdose Psychedelic Insight's Psychedelic Capital: July 2021 conference to take place on July 29, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - July 25th, 2021
- 'I Tried Psychedelics to Treat My Debilitating Cluster Headaches' - Prevention.com - July 18th, 2021
- California Bill To Legalize Psychedelics Possession Advances Again, With New Amendments That Add Limits - Marijuana Moment - July 18th, 2021
- Florida startup treating illness with magic mushrooms receives $2.5 million - The Register-Guard - July 18th, 2021
- Psychedelic microdosing study to reveal what really happens in brains - Macquarie University - July 18th, 2021
- Another Psychedelic and Its Potential Psychiatric Promise - Technology Networks - July 18th, 2021
- MindMed Studies the Role of Psychedelics in Treatments - TechAcute - July 18th, 2021
- LSD and nicotine could be more important to healthcare than we think - Euronews - July 18th, 2021
- Ready to Tap into the US$7.6 billion Psychedelics Market - Stockhouse - July 18th, 2021
- Triple Your Money in 6 Months With This Top Biotech Stock to Buy Right Now - InvestorPlace - July 18th, 2021
- The Newly Institute Announces the Execution of a Joint Working Agreement with Drug Science for the Drug Science Medical Psychedelics Working Group -... - July 18th, 2021
- Cybin to Participate in Grizzle Psychedelics Con on June 28th - Business Wire - June 28th, 2021
- California State Senate Passes Psychedelic Legalization In Latest Wave Of The New Psychedelic Revolution - Cannabis & Hemp - United States -... - June 28th, 2021
- Goodness Growth Holdings Subsidiary Resurgent Biosciences Files Patent for Virtual Reality Applications to Facilitate Therapeutic Psychedelic... - June 28th, 2021
- Why This MindMed Analyst Is Bullish: 'One Of The Most Diverse Pipelines In Psychedelics' - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 28th, 2021
- New TX Law Allows for Study of Psychedelics as Treatment for Veterans with PTSD - WBAP News/Talk - June 28th, 2021
- What It Means To Live 'Psychedelically:' DoubleBlind Mag #05 Dives Deep Into The Topic - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 28th, 2021
- Exclusively-Natural Psychedelic Pharma Company, Filament Health, Lists on the NEO Exchange - Business Wire - June 28th, 2021
- Atai Goes Public With Promising New Mental-Health Treatments Based On Psychedelics - Entrepreneur - June 28th, 2021
- Crypto, Cannabis Backers Turn to Psychedelics With New UK IPO - Bloomberg - June 11th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra On MindMed Partnership, How Psychedelics Influenced The Trajectory Of His Life - Forbes - June 11th, 2021
- Psyched: First Psychedelics ETF Comes To The US, Bills Move Forward In Texas, California and New York - Benzinga - June 11th, 2021
- Calgary businessman, U of C partner for exploration into psychedelics as mental health treatment for Canadians - CTV Toronto - June 11th, 2021
- Psychedelic Compound 5-MeO-DMT Could Make Therapy Short And Effective: Beckley Psytech Is 'All In' - Benz - Benzinga - June 11th, 2021
- A trip to recovery: N.L. patients using psychedelics therapeutically, hoping for legal vindication - CBC.ca - June 11th, 2021
- Global Trac Solutions Reports Record Pageviews Of Psychedelics Industry Indicate An Expanding Interest In The Sector - Yahoo Finance - June 11th, 2021
- Magic Mushrooms Helped Me Cope With My Severe Postpartum Depression - GoodHousekeeping.com - June 11th, 2021
- Why the North America Psychedelic Drugs Market is Expected to Grow With the Fastest CAGR for Next Several Years - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Next Super Stocks on the Move: Tetra Bio-Pharma, Red Light - GlobeNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Mike Tyson says psychedelics saved his life, now he hopes they can change the world - Reuters - May 29th, 2021
- NIH Director Praises Psychedelics' Potential As Therapeutic Treatment, Touts Progress In Access To Cannabis For Research - Benzinga - May 29th, 2021
- NIH Director Touted Benefits of Psychedelics Including Psilocybin and MDMA - Stockhouse - May 29th, 2021
- PharmaTher Collaborates with MediSynergics to Develop Patented Ketamine Formulation for Pain Disorders and to Discover Novel Psychedelic Formulations... - May 27th, 2021
- Are psychedelics the whole answer? | MHT - Mental Health Today - May 27th, 2021
- Psychedelic Therapy: Uses, How It's Done, Risks, and More - Healthline - May 27th, 2021
- Interest in the medical use of psychedelics increasing - Business in Vancouver - May 27th, 2021
- Shroom boom? Here's why investors say psychedelics are the next stock to watch. - 13newsnow.com WVEC - May 27th, 2021
- Can Psychedelics Actually Cure Depression and PTSD? - The Motley Fool - May 27th, 2021
- Ive experimented with psychedelic drugs to improve my mental health dont call me a waster - The Independent - May 27th, 2021
- With Psychedelics, Mental Health Care May Never be the Same - Baystreet.ca - May 27th, 2021
- Non-Hallucinogenic Psychedelic Analog Reverses Effects of Stress in Mice - Technology Networks - May 27th, 2021
- Texas Psychedelics Research Bill Continues To Advance, Passes Senate Together With Cannabis Concentrates Measure - Benzinga - May 27th, 2021
- Wesana Health, WBC Partner to Study Psychedelics as Treatment for TBIs - StreetInsider.com - May 27th, 2021
- Psychedelic-like drug could fix the symptoms of stress without giving you hallucinations - ZME Science - May 27th, 2021
- What Will Psychedelics Mean for the Future of Medicine? - D Healthcare Daily - May 22nd, 2021
- Tryp Therapeutics Inc. (CSE: TRYP) (OTCQB: TRYPF) Brings Best-in-Class Team to Psychedelics Development - BioSpace - May 22nd, 2021
- Kristen Bell Reveals She Tried Psychedelic Mushrooms To Treat Her Depression - ETCanada.com - May 22nd, 2021
- Psychedelic Medicine Read All About It on Psychable - Influencive - May 22nd, 2021
- Canada's Psychedelic Future: a guide to the evolving legal and regulatory landscape and what's next - Lexpert - May 22nd, 2021
- Psychedelics as therapy? West Michigan author advocates for further research and acceptance - Michigan Radio - May 9th, 2021
- MindMed Announces Project Angie, Targeting the Treatment of Pain with Psychedelics - PRNewswire - May 9th, 2021
- The never-ending trip: LSD flashbacks and a psychedelic disorder that can last forever - Big Think - May 9th, 2021
- Expert Q&A: MAPS and Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy - Psychiatry Advisor - May 9th, 2021
- The Benefits Of Peyote: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Medicine - Benzinga - May 9th, 2021
- Psychedelics, peacekeeping and office productivity - The Week UK - May 9th, 2021
- Stateside: Rethinking herd immunity; COVID-19 in the Arab American community; psychedelics therapy - Michigan Radio - May 4th, 2021
- Why People Are Taking Psychedelics To Enhance Creativity Thinking - Benzinga - May 4th, 2021
- Why Companies Are Betting Big On Psychedelic Drugs To Treat Mental Health Epidemic - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Psychedelics are transforming the way we understand depression and its treatment - The Guardian - April 21st, 2021
- Peter Thiel-backed psychedelics start-up plans to raise $100 million in IPO - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Psychedelics As A Potential Form Of Treatment For Traumatic Brain Injuries - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Psychedelic Drugs Market Size Is Projected To Reach $10.75 Billion By 2027 - PRNewswire - April 21st, 2021
- Study: Tripping might not be required for psychedelic therapy - Big Think - April 21st, 2021
- Why You Dont Need To Be Jewish To Attend The Upcoming Jewish Psychedelic Summit - Forbes - April 21st, 2021
- Inside the experiment that could bring psychedelic drugs to the NHS - BBC Focus Magazine - April 21st, 2021
- Researchers In Europe, U.S. Team Up To Produce First Ever 5-MeO-DMT Psychedelic Training Program - Forbes - April 21st, 2021
- Psychable, the Online Platform for Psychedelic Healthcare, is Live the Comprehensive Resource Connects Those Seeking Information on Legal... - April 21st, 2021
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelics Industry News Stories Of The Week, 4/20/2021 - Benzinga - April 21st, 2021