A neuroethicist and a human rights attorney have proposed that human rights be expanded to guard the sanctity of the human mind in the face of rapid advancements in neuroscience and neurotechnology.
The four rights that are specifically addressed in their research paper, published in the Journal of Life Sciences, Society and Policy are the right to cognitive liberty, the right to mental privacy, the right to mental integrity and the right to psychological continuity.
Rapid advancement in neurosciences has created unprecedented possibilities for accessing data from the human brain. Cutting edge neurodevices include neuroimaging, neurostimulators and brain-computer interfaces that can have clinical research, marketing and even military applications.
The researchers make the case that the growing use and rapid advancements in this type of technology present a legal, ethical and social challenge that may force a reconceptualization of certain human rights or even the creation of a new standard of human rights, which they term neurorights.
The first of the neurorights proposed is the right to cognitive liberty. This refers to the rights of an individual to choose whether or not to use emerging neurotechnologies, protecting them from being forced to use neurotech under coercion or without consent.
The second is the right to mental privacy, in which the team advocates expansion of privacy and data protection regulations to cover neural activity in addition to other types of information.
The third neuroright calls for a reinterpretation of existing guarantees of the right to mental integrity to account for the complexity of issues introduced by neurotechnology. Specifically, the paper focuses on the brain-computer interface, or BCI, which just a week ago was announced as an upcoming feature of Facebook. The Facebook BCI will allow users to post directly from their minds, and may be available as soon as two years from now.
However, a BCI may be manipulated or hijacked, and could involve direct manipulation of a persons neural computation. For this reason, mental privacy and the protection of brain data are at risk, not to mention a persons physical and mental health.
Finally, the right to psychological continuity addresses the right of a person to maintain an individual identity without third-party modifications. Some therapeutic applications of transcranial direct current stimulation, transcranial magnetic stimulation, and deep brain stimulation have been found to be beneficial to patients in research and therapy. In light of this, the right to psychological continuity would protect an individual from being subjected to this type of stimulation without consent, or by protecting the underlying neural functioning, should one choose to participate in this type of neurostimulation.
Marcello Ienca, co-author of the paper and a neuroethicist at the University of Basel, told the Guardian, The question we asked was whether our current human rights framework was well equipped to face this new trend in neurotechnology. They concluded that it was not, and that a reconceptualization of human rights is required to protect the individual in the face of the potential for unanticipated consequences or the misuse of neurotechnology.
The information in our brains should be entitled to special protections in this era of ever-evolving technology, he said. When that goes, everything goes.
- New Swiss initiative aims to widen access to groundbreaking neurotechnology - News-Medical.net - December 6th, 2019
- Neurotechnology Market Report 2019 | Industry Size, Share, Trend And Forecast Is A Professional And In-Depth Study By 2026 - Alpha News Report - December 6th, 2019
- Trying to read the 'mind of a group' shapes our decisions online - Futurity: Research News - December 6th, 2019
- Global Facial Recognition Market Top Key Players, Regions and Application Outlook Upto 2019 to 2028 - Industry Planning - December 6th, 2019
- Neurotechnology startup NextMind unveils world's first brain-sensing wearable that delivers real-time device control with just your thoughts -... - November 23rd, 2019
- NextMind Unveils World's First Brain-Sensing Wearable That Delivers Real-Time Device Control With Just Your Thoughts - Business Wire - November 23rd, 2019
- Neurotechnology and the Future of Hope - Robotics Tomorrow (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Canaccord Genuity Keeps Rating And Raises Price Target On Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Modern Readers - August 25th, 2017
- Technology Key to Fighting Neurological Disease - R & D Magazine - August 25th, 2017
- Could this back-pain device end need for opioids? - The Columbus Dispatch - August 20th, 2017
- In the Future, Humans Will Use Brain to Brain Communication and Download Their Memories If Elon Musk Has His Way - Newsweek - August 14th, 2017
- Open-source Morpheo Platform to Use Artificial Intelligence to Help Diagnose Sleep Disorders - Sleep Review - August 8th, 2017
- Stryker Exceeded Analysts' Sales Estimates in 2Q17 - Market Realist - August 2nd, 2017
- Elon Musk talks of his life's 'highs' and 'lows' in a few painfully honest tweets - Mashable - July 31st, 2017
- Team Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 30th, 2017
- Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) and Uroplasty (UPI) Financial Survey - Stock Observer - July 29th, 2017
- Tufts Hosts Engineering Conference - Tufts Now - July 28th, 2017
- Stryker reports 6.1% Q2 growth, installs 26 Mako systems: 7 things ... - Becker's Orthopedic & Spine - July 28th, 2017
- Arshya Vahabzadeh: Innovating at the Intersection of Brain, Behavior, and Technology - HuffPost - July 27th, 2017
- Capstone Asset Management Company Has Boosted By $555078 Its Raytheon Co (RTN) Holding, Stryker (SYK)'s ... - Herald KS - July 26th, 2017
- Trivascular Technologies (TRIV) & Stryker Corporation (SYK) Critical Review - Stock Observer - July 26th, 2017
- fMRI, EEG Tests May Detect Consciousness in Severe TBI Patients - PsychCentral.com - July 24th, 2017
- BRAIN center gathers to ponder future, direction - Arizona State University - July 20th, 2017
- Preserving the Right to Cognitive Liberty - Scientific American - July 19th, 2017
- Comparing Uroplasty (UPI) and Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - July 18th, 2017
- Insider Activity Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) - Highlight Press - July 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology: 5 braincomputer interface innovations - Red Bull - Red Bull - July 12th, 2017
- DARPA invests further in neurotechnology - SD Times - SDTimes.com - July 11th, 2017
- Infinitely Flexible 3D Printing with Ultrasonic Manipulation? - ENGINEERING.com - July 11th, 2017
- HIRREM Neurotechnology Better Than Placebo for Insomnia - Sleep Review - July 10th, 2017
- What is NIT? Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - July 5th, 2017
- Mind-blowing ultrasonic 'printer' uses lasers and high-frequency sound to assemble electronics - Digital Trends - July 1st, 2017
- Neurotechnology Explains Ultrasonic Manipulation in 3D Printing - 3DPrint.com - June 30th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Develops 3D Printing Method with Non-Contact Ultrasonic Manipulation Technology - 3DPrint.com - June 26th, 2017
- Neurotechnology makes a number of updates to the MegaMatcher product line - Biometric Update - June 23rd, 2017
- Neurotechnology adds face recognition, tracking to video surveillance systems; researchers win competition - Biometric Update - June 23rd, 2017
- SentiVeillance Server - Face Recognition and Analytics to Video Management Systems - Officer.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Brain data, neurotechnology and education | code acts in ... - June 21st, 2017
- Neurotechnology Announces SentiVeillance Server Facial Recognition Solution - findBIOMETRICS - June 21st, 2017
- New SentiVeillance Server from Neurotechnology Adds Face Recognition and Analytics to Video Management Systems - PR Newswire (press release) - June 19th, 2017
- Accuray (ARAY) versus Stryker Corporation (SYK) Head-To-Head Review - The Cerbat Gem - June 17th, 2017
- Helping or Hacking? Engineers, Ethicists Must Work Together on Brain-Computer Interface Technology - Government Technology - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Researchers Win Kaggle Competition with Deep Neural Network Solution for The Nature ... - PR Newswire (press release) - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Wins Fisheries-Focused Computer Vision ... - findBIOMETRICS - June 15th, 2017
- A Hardware Update for the Human Brain - HardOCP - June 15th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Releases MegaMatcher Accelerator Extreme, the Fastest Biometric Engine in the World - PR Newswire (press release) - June 14th, 2017
- Helping or hacking? Engineers and ethicists must work together on brain-computer interface technology - San Francisco Chronicle - June 14th, 2017
- Favorable Press Coverage Very Likely to Affect Stryker Corporation (SYK) Stock Price - Sports Perspectives - June 14th, 2017
- Neurotechnology Announces MegaMatcher Accelerator Extreme - findBIOMETRICS - June 12th, 2017
- Head to Head Analysis: Accuray (ARAY) and Stryker Corporation (SYK) - Sports Perspectives - June 12th, 2017
- Welch Capital Partners Increased By $3.59 Million Its Eqt (EQT) Position, Stryker (SYK) Sellers Decreased By 3.59 ... - UtahHerald.com - June 10th, 2017
- Comparing Accuray (ARAY) & Stryker (SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - June 9th, 2017
- Shoosmiths advises PD Neurotechnology on 1.34m (EUR) investment - Shoosmiths legal updates (press release) - June 7th, 2017
- Shoosmiths advises PD Neurotechnology on 1.34m investment - Scottish Legal News - June 7th, 2017
- Stryker (SYK) Earning Somewhat Favorable Media Coverage, Report Finds - Chaffey Breeze - June 5th, 2017
- Stryker (SYK) Receives Media Impact Score of 0.15 - Chaffey Breeze - June 3rd, 2017
- Scientists remotely move a mouse's whiskers with electrodes outside its brain - The Verge - June 1st, 2017
- The tiny cyborg dragonfly drones have taken flight - Mashable - June 1st, 2017
- Somewhat Positive Press Coverage Likely to Impact Stryker (SYK) Stock Price - The Cerbat Gem - June 1st, 2017
- Stryker (SYK) Getting Positive News Coverage, Study Shows - Chaffey Breeze - May 28th, 2017
- $20000 ONtrepreneurs Pitch Challenge Winner Announced - Canada NewsWire (press release) - May 23rd, 2017
- FAQ Neurotechnology Innovations Translator - May 13th, 2017
- Rythm Accelerates Sleep Research and Neurotechnology Efforts With a Prestigious Scientific Advisory Board and ... - PR Newswire (press release) - May 13th, 2017
- Freedom of the mind under threat with new technology - BioEdge - May 8th, 2017
- Do We Have a Right to Mental Privacy and Cognitive Liberty? - Scientific American (blog) - May 4th, 2017
- Future tech could jeopardise 'freedom of mind': experts - Outlook India - Outlook India - May 2nd, 2017
- This Is Your Brain on Business - Fortune - May 2nd, 2017
- Future tech could jeopardise 'freedom of mind', say experts - Daily News & Analysis - April 30th, 2017
- Will your computer delete your thoughts? - TRUNEWS - April 28th, 2017
- Download - Neurotechnology - April 27th, 2017
- Rise of Neurotechnology: Defend Against Brain Hackers Before It's Too Late - Sputnik International - April 27th, 2017
- A new category of human rights: neurorights - BMC Blogs Network (blog) - April 27th, 2017
- In a neuro-techno future, human rights laws will need to be revisited - Science Daily - April 27th, 2017
- New computers could delete thoughts without your knowledge ... - The Independent - April 27th, 2017
- Stryker Co. Announces Quarterly Dividend of $0.43 (SYK) - The Cerbat Gem - April 25th, 2017
- PTSD Symptoms May Be Eased by Non-Invasive Neurotechnology - Psychiatry Advisor - April 25th, 2017
- Academia, Industry Collaborate on Solutions to Neural Disease, Injury - Texas Medical Center (press release) - April 25th, 2017
- Reduction of Post -Traumatic Stress Symptoms Associated with Non-Invasive Neurotechnology - Newswise (press release) - April 19th, 2017
- Academia, industry collaborate on solutions to neural disease, injury - Medical Xpress - April 19th, 2017
- Analyst Activity Jefferies Group LLC Reiterates Hold on Stryker (NYSE:SYK) - Market Exclusive - April 15th, 2017