Senate Republicans still smarting over their unexpected demotion to the minority will go on offense Thursday by forcing Democrats to take tough votes on sending stimulus checks to immigrants living in the country illegally and raising taxes on small businesses.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnellAddison (Mitch) Mitchell McConnellSenate eyes speedy Trump impeachment trial Republicans look to pummel Democrats on school reopenings GOP blames White House staff for lack of COVID-19 relief deal MORE (R-Ky.) previewed the strategy ahead of a marathon voting session on a Democratic budget resolution that will lay the groundwork for passing a $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package with a simple majority vote, avoiding a filibuster, later this year.
The voting session is described by both parties as a vote-a-rama.
Were going to put senators on the record . Well see how our colleagues vote on these basic, commonsense steps. Well see what this resolution looks like on the other side and what signals Democrats send the American people along the way, McConnell said on the floor Thursday morning.
One of the top GOP priorities is to force Democrats to vote on an amendment sponsored by Sens. Todd YoungTodd Christopher YoungRepublican 2024 hopefuls draw early battle lines for post-Trump era Senate Democrats approve budget resolution, teeing up coronavirus bill House will have to vote on budget second time as GOP notches wins MORE (R-Ind.) and Tom CottonTom Bryant CottonRepublican 2024 hopefuls draw early battle lines for post-Trump era The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - House boots Greene from committees; Senate plows ahead on budget Cotton tries to squeeze Democrats on expanding the Supreme Court MORE (R-Ark.), a potential White House candidate in 2024, that would prohibit stimulus checks forundocumented immigrants.
The amendment applies to what is expected to be the third round of direct payments following checks sent out through last years CARES Act and the $900 billion rescue package passed in December.
The amendments, however, do not have the force of law as they are being offered to a budget resolution, which does not require the presidents signature.
The Biden administration shouldnt reward illegal immigrants for breaking our laws by giving them checks, Cotton said in a statement.
A second amendment sponsored by Sen. Marco RubioMarco Antonio RubioLawmakers wager barbecue, sweets and crab claws ahead of Super Bowl Republican 2024 hopefuls draw early battle lines for post-Trump era The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - House boots Greene from committees; Senate plows ahead on budget MORE (R-Fla.), another potential White House hopeful, and Sens. Tim ScottTimothy (Tim) Eugene ScottSenate panel advances Biden's picks for Housing secretary, chief economist Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Democrats chart path to pass Biden's COVID-19 relief plan MORE (R-S.C.) and James LankfordJames Paul LankfordHow your taxes subsidize the Super Bowl and how that might change Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Democrats chart path to pass Biden's COVID-19 relief plan MORE (R-Okla.) calls for preventing tax increases on small businesses during the pandemic.
A third amendment sponsored by Scott, Lankford and Sen. John BarrassoJohn Anthony BarrassoOVERNIGHT ENERGY:DOJ to let companies pay for environmental projects again to reduce fines | House Democrats reintroduce green energy tax package Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama Sanders, Ocasio-Cortez, Blumenauer aim to require Biden to declare climate emergency MORE (R-Wyo.) would reduce funding to states that are actively investigating nursing homes for underreported deaths.
A fourth sponsored by Sens. Roy BluntRoy Dean BluntDemocratic senator demands Rand Paul wear a mask on Senate floor Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama Missouri newspaper urges Hawley, Blunt to 'bring Trump to justice' MORE (R-Mo.) and Scott would call for withholding supplemental funding from schools that do not reopen for in-person learning even after its teachers receive coronavirus vaccines.
The fifth amendment being highlighted by the GOP leaders is sponsored by Senate Minority Whip John ThuneJohn Randolph ThuneSenate eyes speedy Trump impeachment trial House votes to kick Greene off committees over embrace of conspiracy theories Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama MORE (R-S.D.) and calls for limiting the tax liability for medical professionals who crossed state lines to make up for a shortage of health care workers in areas hit hard by the pandemic. It would protect doctors, nurses and other professionals from having to pay state and local income taxes in multiple jurisdictions, in certain cases.
See the rest here:
Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama | TheHill - The Hill
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Excuse Clear Violation by Police of Black Man's Fifth Amendment Rights: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - May 11th, 2021
- If the Devil of the WTO IP Waiver Is in the Details, What Are the Details? - JD Supra - May 11th, 2021
- Owens v. Brown: How The Navy's Women Won the Right to Serve at Sea - The Maritime Executive - May 11th, 2021
- Why Is the Justice Department Trying To Punish Derek Chauvin Twice? - Reason - May 11th, 2021
- Voice of the People | | hastingstribune.com - Hastings Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Frontenacs to pick fifth overall in OHL Priority Selection - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 11th, 2021
- Trial hits snag for convicted murderer charged in another deadly Youngstown shooting - WKBN.com - April 29th, 2021
- Convention of states blocked in Legislature | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - April 29th, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial: Updates The Spectator - The Spectator - April 29th, 2021
- Morries Hall and the right not to incriminate yourself (Fifth Amendment) - MSR News Online - April 11th, 2021
- Man who was with George Floyd during his arrest pleads the Fifth amid Chauvin trial - KARE11.com - April 11th, 2021
- Floyd's Friend Invokes 5th Amendment Before Testimony Resumes in Chauvin Trial - Voice Of Alexandria - April 11th, 2021
- Officers take the stand on training and protocol; Floyd's friend fears self-incrimination - WXOW.com - April 11th, 2021
- Today's Headlines and Commentary - Lawfare - Lawfare - April 11th, 2021
- What Is the Second Amendment? | Second Amendment Rights - Reader's Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Free Webinar: Battling Deep Fakes and Misinformation Media's Role and Responsibility - StreetInsider.com - April 11th, 2021
- Virginia Beach police bought the technology to automatically turn on body cameras when a gun is drawn, but it doesn't work - 13newsnow.com WVEC - March 31st, 2021
- Analysis | Hefazat-e Islam, the group behind anti-Modi protests in Bangladesh - The Hindu - March 31st, 2021
- Question of fear or vengeance at core of Lawton murder trial - The Lawton Constitution - March 31st, 2021
- Professor's New Casebook Is First to Look at Law of the Police - UVA Today - March 31st, 2021
- Arbitration. Enforcement of Award. Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act. Personal Jurisdiction. District court refuses to enforce $20 million award... - March 31st, 2021
- SITEONE LANDSCAPE SUPPLY, INC. : Entry into a Material Definitive Agreement, Creation of a Direct Financial Obligation or an Obligation under an... - March 31st, 2021
- City issues order to force Columbus police officers to give evidence in protest probe - The Columbus Dispatch - March 31st, 2021
- Separation of judiciary still elusive in Bangladesh - newagebd.net - March 31st, 2021
- The Fight Over Minimum Wage Has a Long History in the US. Here's What to Know About It - NBC 6 South Florida - March 31st, 2021
- USCIS: Uvarov's request for injunctive relief moot; passport returned and he has departed NMI - Marianas Variety - March 31st, 2021
- Lawyer tries to throw out confession of Killeen woman charged in Vanessa Guillen case - The Killeen Daily Herald - March 31st, 2021
- Bill would protect juveniles' Fifth Amendment rights | Serving Carson City for over 150 years - Nevada Appeal - March 21st, 2021
- SCOTUS to Decide Whether There Is a Fundamental Right to Kick People Off Your Property - Law & Crime - March 21st, 2021
- 5th Amendment - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes - March 7th, 2021
- What is the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment? - Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) - March 7th, 2021
- Ghost of March 4 inauguration back to haunt us - Olean Times Herald - March 7th, 2021
- What you need to know as Chauvin trial starts Monday - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - March 7th, 2021
- Mensah to 'plead the 5th' if forced to testify in new hearing on deadly shooting - WISN Milwaukee - February 27th, 2021
- CPAC heavy hitters to highlight constitutional freedoms, allege 'left hates the Bill of Rights' - Home - WSFX - February 27th, 2021
- Fact Checking Xavier Becerra's Claim That He 'Never Sued Any Nuns' - The Dispatch - February 27th, 2021
- The 5 Trump Amendments to the Constitution - The Atlantic - February 25th, 2021
- A refusal to testify shouldnt be interpreted this way - Leominster Champion - February 25th, 2021
- Blythe vote-buying case referred to Georgia Attorney General - The Augusta Chronicle - February 25th, 2021
- Ex-husband of 'RHONY' events planner pleads Fifth in Peeping Tom suit - Page Six - February 25th, 2021
- Ninth Circuit Upholds Dismissal of Kids Climate SuitHeaded to the Supreme Court? - Lexology - February 25th, 2021
- Justices Won't Hear Fight Over USPTO Fees On Axed Patents - Law360 - February 25th, 2021
- Florida woman charged over threats to FBI asking about Capitol siege - Insider - February 25th, 2021
- Disputes over church property and ACCA ambiguity - SCOTUSblog - February 25th, 2021
- Newsom Looks To Shear Barber's Suit Over COVID-19 Orders - Law360 - February 25th, 2021
- Supreme Court asked to declare the all-male military draft unconstitutional | TheHill - The Hill - February 25th, 2021
- ECC takes on 'Black and Blue: Policing Communities of Color' - WBFO - February 25th, 2021
- Letter: CDC vs. landlords. If director has that much power over private citizens, there's a problem. - The Augusta Chronicle - February 25th, 2021
- Trump is acquitted again, Sen. Ron Johnson sends the wrong message by siding with him - UW Badger Herald - February 25th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein has been behind bars for a year: What's changed? - USA TODAY - February 25th, 2021
- Fifth Amendment to PREP Act Declaration Expands the Ranks of Health Care Providers Authorized to Administer COVID-19 Vaccines - Lexology - February 8th, 2021
- Dems: The Fifth Amendment against self-incrimination doesn't apply to Trump - ChicagoNow - February 8th, 2021
- Americana Corner: The Bill of Rights: The Fifth Amendment - Bryan County News - February 8th, 2021
- Ex-Con in Fraud Case Takes the Fifth - Arkansas Business Online - February 8th, 2021
- HHS Expands Categories of Persons Covered Under the PREP Act Who Can Administer COVID-19 Vaccine - JD Supra - February 8th, 2021
- Book review: 'The Crooked Path to Abolition' - Bowling Green Daily News - February 8th, 2021
- Letter: Claims of constitutional rights are often wrong - The Durango Herald - February 2nd, 2021
- EU Commission publishes fifth amendment to its Temporary Framework for state aid in relation to the COVID-19 crisis - Lexology - February 2nd, 2021
- Can a Comic Book Contain the Drama and Heat of Activism? - The New York Times - February 2nd, 2021
- Chief Nurse at Wolters Kluwer and Critical Care Nurse Practitioner Discusses HHS Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness (PREP) Act - Business... - February 2nd, 2021
- Congressional Investigations in the 117th Congress: Choppy Waters Ahead for the Private Sector? - Gibson Dunn - February 2nd, 2021
- The Courts and Healthcare Policy | McGuireWoods Consulting - JDSupra - JD Supra - February 2nd, 2021
- LASD Won't Name Deputies Involved in Killing of Fred Williams III at Otherwise Uninformative Inquest - Streetsblog Los Angeles - February 2nd, 2021
- Xiaomi sues the US government over military blacklisting Just now - Siliconrepublic.com - February 2nd, 2021
- 2020 at the Supreme Court - Lexology - February 2nd, 2021
- FPAA Remembered: In Triangle Football, the Dixie Cup Was the Ultimate Game - Bama Maven - February 2nd, 2021
- Former Rutland cop denied new rape trial after ex-wife, citing perjury concern, declines to provide alibi - Worcester Telegram - February 2nd, 2021
- Are Patents Free for the Taking; or Does the Law Require Just Compensation? - Patently-O - January 29th, 2021
- CIT Dismisses All but One Claim in Section 232 Steel Tariff Dispute - Lexology - January 29th, 2021
- Inquest: Man Killed by Deputies in Willowbrook Was Shot in the Back - NBC Southern California - January 29th, 2021
- 'The Little Things' boasts powerhouse lineup - Post Register - January 29th, 2021
- Meet the People Archives - California Ag Today - January 29th, 2021
- Guest opinion: New Jefferson River flood maps are all wet - Belgrade News - January 29th, 2021
- Betraying Your ChurchAnd Your Party - The Atlantic - January 29th, 2021
- Transcript: The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, 1/18/2021 - MSNBC - January 29th, 2021
- Letter: Halting the Keystone Pipeline is a win for liberty - INFORUM - January 29th, 2021
- Selections from The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump BillMoyers.com - BillMoyers.com - January 29th, 2021
- Mitigating the Risk of Loss of a Delinquent Collateral Asset in the Era of Autonomous Zones - JD Supra - January 19th, 2021
- OPINION | Trump might invoke the 25th Amendment without resigning - Marianas Variety - January 19th, 2021
- Will Joe Biden Issue a Pardon to Donald Trump? - The National Interest - January 19th, 2021