Senate Republicans still smarting over their unexpected demotion to the minority will go on offense Thursday by forcing Democrats to take tough votes on sending stimulus checks to immigrants living in the country illegally and raising taxes on small businesses.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnellAddison (Mitch) Mitchell McConnellSenate eyes speedy Trump impeachment trial Republicans look to pummel Democrats on school reopenings GOP blames White House staff for lack of COVID-19 relief deal MORE (R-Ky.) previewed the strategy ahead of a marathon voting session on a Democratic budget resolution that will lay the groundwork for passing a $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package with a simple majority vote, avoiding a filibuster, later this year.
The voting session is described by both parties as a vote-a-rama.
Were going to put senators on the record . Well see how our colleagues vote on these basic, commonsense steps. Well see what this resolution looks like on the other side and what signals Democrats send the American people along the way, McConnell said on the floor Thursday morning.
One of the top GOP priorities is to force Democrats to vote on an amendment sponsored by Sens. Todd YoungTodd Christopher YoungRepublican 2024 hopefuls draw early battle lines for post-Trump era Senate Democrats approve budget resolution, teeing up coronavirus bill House will have to vote on budget second time as GOP notches wins MORE (R-Ind.) and Tom CottonTom Bryant CottonRepublican 2024 hopefuls draw early battle lines for post-Trump era The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - House boots Greene from committees; Senate plows ahead on budget Cotton tries to squeeze Democrats on expanding the Supreme Court MORE (R-Ark.), a potential White House candidate in 2024, that would prohibit stimulus checks forundocumented immigrants.
The amendment applies to what is expected to be the third round of direct payments following checks sent out through last years CARES Act and the $900 billion rescue package passed in December.
The amendments, however, do not have the force of law as they are being offered to a budget resolution, which does not require the presidents signature.
The Biden administration shouldnt reward illegal immigrants for breaking our laws by giving them checks, Cotton said in a statement.
A second amendment sponsored by Sen. Marco RubioMarco Antonio RubioLawmakers wager barbecue, sweets and crab claws ahead of Super Bowl Republican 2024 hopefuls draw early battle lines for post-Trump era The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - House boots Greene from committees; Senate plows ahead on budget MORE (R-Fla.), another potential White House hopeful, and Sens. Tim ScottTimothy (Tim) Eugene ScottSenate panel advances Biden's picks for Housing secretary, chief economist Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Democrats chart path to pass Biden's COVID-19 relief plan MORE (R-S.C.) and James LankfordJames Paul LankfordHow your taxes subsidize the Super Bowl and how that might change Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Democrats chart path to pass Biden's COVID-19 relief plan MORE (R-Okla.) calls for preventing tax increases on small businesses during the pandemic.
A third amendment sponsored by Scott, Lankford and Sen. John BarrassoJohn Anthony BarrassoOVERNIGHT ENERGY:DOJ to let companies pay for environmental projects again to reduce fines | House Democrats reintroduce green energy tax package Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama Sanders, Ocasio-Cortez, Blumenauer aim to require Biden to declare climate emergency MORE (R-Wyo.) would reduce funding to states that are actively investigating nursing homes for underreported deaths.
A fourth sponsored by Sens. Roy BluntRoy Dean BluntDemocratic senator demands Rand Paul wear a mask on Senate floor Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama Missouri newspaper urges Hawley, Blunt to 'bring Trump to justice' MORE (R-Mo.) and Scott would call for withholding supplemental funding from schools that do not reopen for in-person learning even after its teachers receive coronavirus vaccines.
The fifth amendment being highlighted by the GOP leaders is sponsored by Senate Minority Whip John ThuneJohn Randolph ThuneSenate eyes speedy Trump impeachment trial House votes to kick Greene off committees over embrace of conspiracy theories Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama MORE (R-S.D.) and calls for limiting the tax liability for medical professionals who crossed state lines to make up for a shortage of health care workers in areas hit hard by the pandemic. It would protect doctors, nurses and other professionals from having to pay state and local income taxes in multiple jurisdictions, in certain cases.
See the rest here:
Republicans seek to play offense in vote-a-rama | TheHill - The Hill
- The Supreme Court Further Expands The Definition Of A Physical - Mondaq News Alerts - August 2nd, 2021
- The Supreme Court Further Expands the Definition of a Physical Taking of Property That Violates Fifth Amendment Protections - JD Supra - August 2nd, 2021
- Judge expected to rule Wednesday whether to charge Mensah in on-duty shooting - WISN Milwaukee - August 2nd, 2021
- Vaccine opponents appear increasingly confused about HIPAA - MSNBC - August 2nd, 2021
- Opinion: Elections are the worst method of picking judges except for all the others - Houston Chronicle - August 2nd, 2021
- FBI and Detroit police taught 'White Boy Rick' the drug game then double-crossed him, he says. Now, he wants $100 million - WDJT - August 2nd, 2021
- Trevor Bauers Hearing Strategy Is A Trial In The Court of Public Opinion - Beyond the Box Score - July 27th, 2021
- Erika Jayne's Husband Thomas Girardi To Plead The Fifth As Part Of Embezzlement Investigation - Radar Online - July 27th, 2021
- Gov. Cuomo: New Yorkers will be shocked when they hear facts of AGs harassment investigation - RochesterFirst - July 27th, 2021
- Fianc of victim in Rodney Reed case testifies, waives right to attorney - KXAN.com - July 27th, 2021
- What Is HIPAA and How Does the Law Work? - The New York Times - July 27th, 2021
- How Sha'Carri Richardson Can Sue Her Way Back Into the Olympics - The Daily Beast - July 27th, 2021
- QUICK BRAG AS I RECOVER FROM THE PALOOZA: Court in NY Says Hunstein Doesnt survive Ramirez and I Told You So - TCPAWorld.com - July 27th, 2021
- Money & the Law: With every rule there seems to be an exception - Denver Gazette - July 18th, 2021
- The Chase County Courthouse is a Kansas icon. The jail in its shadow is a disgrace. - Kansas Reflector - July 18th, 2021
- Gary Pearce: UNC and the debate over dissent - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - July 18th, 2021
- This is my land and I plan on keeping it Monroe County families trying to fight TVAs eminent domain - WATE 6 On Your Side - July 18th, 2021
- A Supreme Court ruling that's right out of the 19th century - Raw Story - July 18th, 2021
- What Does Bill Cosbys Overturned Conviction Mean for Your Fifth Amendment Rights Against Self-Incrimination? - JD Supra - July 16th, 2021
- Wisk Submits Evidence Claiming Massive Theft and Archer's Use of Wisk Trade Secrets, as Archer Engineer Pleads the Fifth - PRNewswire - July 16th, 2021
- Give And Take: How The U.S. Supreme Courts Ruling In Cedar Point Nursery v. Hassid May Impact Rhode Islanders Who Own Property Abutting Public Lands -... - July 16th, 2021
- Ink Blog: The Supreme Court & the Constitution in 2021 - Ashland Daily Press - July 16th, 2021
- Man convicted of sex crime on Colo. tribal reservation appeals to SCOTUS - coloradopolitics.com - July 16th, 2021
- Federal Circuit Reverses CIT's Decision on the President's Ability to Modify Section 232 Tariffs - Lexology - July 16th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Property rights should be considered human rights - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - July 16th, 2021
- GARY PEARCE: UNC and the debate over dissent - WRAL.com - July 16th, 2021
- NCLA Appeals to First Circuit Over IRSs Unlawfully Seizing Cryptocurrency Data of Thousands - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- What the US Government Brief Should Have Said in Al-Hela: On Guantanamo and Due Process - Just Security - July 16th, 2021
- Update On Union Access To Property - Employment and HR - United States - Mondaq News Alerts - July 16th, 2021
- The Right To Be Let Alone: What To Do When COVID Strike Force Teams Come Knocking OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 16th, 2021
- Kristin Smart's accused killer Paul Flores' charges amended to include two allegations of rape in LA - Californianewstimes.com - July 16th, 2021
- Cosby case rips open wounds that just won't heal. Here's why. - York Daily Record - July 16th, 2021
- Norris Burkes: The case of the stolen freedoms - Charleston Post Courier - July 5th, 2021
- Why was Bill Cosby released from prison after being found guilty of drugging and molesting woman? - MassLive.com - July 5th, 2021
- Pennsylvania court was right to overturn Cosbys conviction - Los Angeles Times - July 2nd, 2021
- Bruce Castor, before and after Cosby: Trump, insurrection, and Katheleen Kane - On top of Philly news - Billy Penn - July 2nd, 2021
- Where's Lucy? Sham teen marriage and felony charges featured in case of missing St. Charles County girl - KSDK.com - July 2nd, 2021
- A lawyer for Ghislaine Maxwell says she should be set free like Bill Cosby was, but legal experts say that's highly unlikely - Yahoo News - July 2nd, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Why Bill Cosbys conviction was overturned - WKRG News 5 - July 2nd, 2021
- The Courts and Healthcare Policy - July 2021 | McGuireWoods Consulting - JDSupra - JD Supra - July 2nd, 2021
- Letter: Where is our Fifth Amendment? | Letters To Editor | berkshireeagle.com - Berkshire Eagle - June 28th, 2021
- Joe Biden and the Blessed Sacrament | Napolitano - New Jersey Herald - June 28th, 2021
- Recapping Wednesday's Cases, and Predicting the Remaining 8 Cases - Reason - June 28th, 2021
- Supreme Court Finds Fifth Amendment Taking in State Regulation Granting Access to Private Property - JD Supra - June 27th, 2021
- Villager's son wants judge yanked from case in legal fight over mask mandate - Villages-News - June 27th, 2021
- Biden and the Sacrament | News, Sports, Jobs - Gloversville Leader-Herald - June 27th, 2021
- A Philly man was cleared of murder after 34 years by evidence that was in the police file all along - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 27th, 2021
- Devin Nunes's Libel Lawyering, Employee Witnesses, and the Privilege Against Self-Incrimination - Reason - June 20th, 2021
- American Samoans are the latest victims of these ignorant Supreme Court rulings - MSNBC - June 20th, 2021
- Critical race theory has proved divisive. What is it? - theday.com - June 20th, 2021
- Murder Defendant Martin Takes the Stand on His Defense - wkdzradio.com - June 20th, 2021
- Gov. Abbott Vowed to Build a Wall With Mexico. Texas Borderland Owners Say Not in My Backyard - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 20th, 2021
- Prosecution rests in 2nd trial of officers accused of assaulting Black colleague by again focusing on texts - KSDK.com - June 20th, 2021
- NCLA Lawsuit in Texas Seeks to End SEC's Lifetime Gag Orders that Violate the First Amendment - StreetInsider.com - June 20th, 2021
- In His Wild Bid to Stop Leaks to the Press, Trump Even Spied on His Own Lawyer - Truthout - June 20th, 2021
- Paul Robeson Was One of the Greatest Figures of the 20th Century - Jacobin magazine - June 20th, 2021
- Lorraine Reich: It's more than corporate money in elections - The Union of Grass Valley - June 4th, 2021
- Pharma Bro Martin Shkreli Gets a Slap on the Wrist for Using Contraband Phone to Discuss Pharma Business Behind Bars - Law & Crime - June 4th, 2021
- The FBI Took Their Safe Deposit Box and Everything Inside It. Two Months Later, They're Still Waiting for It To Be Returned. - Reason - June 4th, 2021
- Imprisoned Felon Martin Shkreli Busted For Using Contraband Phone To Discuss Pharma Business With Associates Following Daraprim Scandal - Radar Online - June 4th, 2021
- Citing privacy concerns, Huntsville wont explain why convicted officer is still employed - AL.com - June 4th, 2021
- What the House should quickly do if the January 6 commission fails in the Senate - WTVA - May 27th, 2021
- Trial starts for two men charged in the murder of 8-year-old King William child - 8News - May 27th, 2021
- How to Remember the Difference Between Invoke and Evoke - Lifehacker - May 27th, 2021
- Notable investigations, trials and dates ahead 1 year after George Floyds death - NewsNation Now - May 27th, 2021
- AG's Move to Criminal Probe Is a Red Alert for the Trump Org - The Daily Beast - May 27th, 2021
- Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic Stops - John Whitehead's Commentary Drivers Beware: The Deadly Perils of Blank Check Traffic... - May 27th, 2021
- Trump Judge Casts Deciding Vote to Excuse Clear Violation by Police of Black Man's Fifth Amendment Rights: Confirmed Judges, Confirmed Fears - People... - May 11th, 2021
- If the Devil of the WTO IP Waiver Is in the Details, What Are the Details? - JD Supra - May 11th, 2021
- Owens v. Brown: How The Navy's Women Won the Right to Serve at Sea - The Maritime Executive - May 11th, 2021
- Why Is the Justice Department Trying To Punish Derek Chauvin Twice? - Reason - May 11th, 2021
- Voice of the People | | hastingstribune.com - Hastings Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Frontenacs to pick fifth overall in OHL Priority Selection - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 11th, 2021
- Trial hits snag for convicted murderer charged in another deadly Youngstown shooting - WKBN.com - April 29th, 2021
- Convention of states blocked in Legislature | netnebraska.org - NET Nebraska - April 29th, 2021
- Derek Chauvin Trial: Updates The Spectator - The Spectator - April 29th, 2021
- Morries Hall and the right not to incriminate yourself (Fifth Amendment) - MSR News Online - April 11th, 2021
- Man who was with George Floyd during his arrest pleads the Fifth amid Chauvin trial - KARE11.com - April 11th, 2021
- Floyd's Friend Invokes 5th Amendment Before Testimony Resumes in Chauvin Trial - Voice Of Alexandria - April 11th, 2021
- Officers take the stand on training and protocol; Floyd's friend fears self-incrimination - WXOW.com - April 11th, 2021