When Donald Trumps ban from Facebook was upheld this week, the howls of bias could be heard from Republicans far and wide. Those shrieks, ironically, came mostly on social media.
Republicans have spent recent years criticizing Facebook and Twitter, demonizing them as biased against the right. But they, not Democrats, have been the most enthusiastic embracers of social media, and the most successful in harnessing its potential.
Between 1 January and 15 December last year, right-leaning Facebook pages accounted for 45% of all interactions on Facebook, according to a study by Media Matters for America, a progressive non-profit which monitors US media.
Rightwing pages earned nearly 9bn likes or comments, MMFA found, compared to 5bn interactions on left-leaning pages. Conservative pages account for six of the top 10 Facebook pages that post about US political news.
The years-long dominance on Facebook has translated to notable successes most memorably in 2016, when Donald Trumps win was propelled by his social media reach. Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing, Brad Parscale, the digital director of the 2016 Trump campaign, said in the aftermath of the election.
Twitter for Mr Trump. And Facebook for fundraising.
Those successes appeared to have been forgotten in the last week, when prominent Republicans, including Texas senator Ted Cruz and House minority leader Kevin McCarthy, condemned Facebook in particular. The platform angered the right with its decision to uphold Trumps post-insurrection suspension, even though a long-term decision has been punted down the road.
If the big tech oligarchs can muzzle the former president, whats to stop them from silencing you? Cruz said.
If they can ban President Trump, all conservative voices could be next. A House Republican majority will rein in big tech power over our speech, was McCarthys take.
Cruz and other Republicans have been accusing Facebook of bias for years even as the platform was propelling Trump to victory, while being criticized on the left for being slow to remove rightwing lies or conspiracy theories.
Because Republicans have such a disproportionate amount of influence on these platforms and engagement, the real effect is that by constantly crying bias, it works the refs in such that they dont enforce the rules against them in a consistent way, Angelo Carusone, the president of MMFA, said.
Or theyre less likely to take action against cheaters and bad actors, because they dont want to deal with the blowback of what happens when I take off one of these accounts.
Carusone pointed to how Facebook dealt with groups promoting QAnon, a conspiracy movement that alleges a group of global elites are involved in paedophilia, human trafficking and the harvesting of a supposedly life-extending chemical from the blood of abused children. It took until October last year for the network to finally ban groups, pages or Instagram pages which represent QAnon, despite the theory having been promulgated for years.
Joe Romm, author of How To Go Viral and Reach Millions and editor-in-chief of Front Page Live, a news site dedicated to elevating fact-based stories said that for Republicans, claiming that they are oppressed by media is a consistent narrative.
Its part of the overall strategy of playing the victim, Romm said. Donald Trump showed that its part of the overall strategy of: accuse your opponents of doing what youre doing before they can accuse you.
And so it just makes it so much harder, because if you accuse them first, then when progressives then accurately say: Oh, were being disadvantaged on social media, no one is going to believe it, because they bought into this big lie that the conservatives are being punished on social media.
As Republicans have cried foul, several rightwing politicians have even written books about such perceived bias the most recent by Missouri senator Josh Hawley, a millionaire Yale law school graduate turned earthy, blue collar, man of the people.
Hawley wrote The Tyranny of Big Tech after claiming he had been censored and canceled by social media. The hypocrisy of the books claim that big tech is suppressing conservative thought was exposed by Hawley himself this week, however, when he used Twitter, one of the companies he rails against, to giddily proclaim that his book had been a bestseller all week on Amazon another company he opposes.
The claims of conservative bias are only like to continue as the 2022 midterms approach, but experts sayany bias is actually against the other side.
I would say that, in fact, big tech right now is biased against liberals the thumb is on the scale for those who put out the rightwing lies, Romm said.
The thing that the social media apps want to do is keep you on their site. Thats what they care about. They dont care about the truth, they care about keeping you on their site.
So the way things are set up, if you can stir up anger, and get people to comment, and engage and send out shares and say: This is outrageous, then youve got a big advantage in the algorithm. So what the social media sites have done is create a system that favors the most outrageous statements.
Ironically, some of those most outrageous statements are set to come against the leaders of the Republican party railing against the social media giants.
I think the right will leverage this moment to make big tech the new Hillary, Carusone said. And thats going to be a galvanizing force for them leading into 2022 and then again in 2024.
Read more from the original source:
- Im Getting the Word Out: Inside the Feverish Mind of Donald Trump Two Months After Leaving the White House - Vanity Fair - July 25th, 2021
- Will Pence primary Trump and win? | TheHill - The Hill - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump says Cleveland Indians name change is 'such a disgrace' and 'disrespectful' to Native Americans - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Allies Break With Ex-President on Supporting Ohio House Candidate - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Joe Biden Mocking Donald Trump by Drinking Water With One Hand in Viral Video - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Michael Cohen says he thinks Jared Kushner has already flipped on Trump - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Certified Loser Donald Trump Is Rebranding MAGA as a Full-On Cult - Daily Beast - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. Responds to Kimberly Guilfoyle 'The View' Rumor - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. intrigued by Kimberly Guilfoyle replacing Meghan McCain on 'The View' - SFGate - July 25th, 2021
- How Scott Walker's Wisconsin Paved the Way for Donald Trump's America - Jacobin magazine - July 25th, 2021
- Melania Trump told Donald Trump she did not think he would win in 2016, former lawyer Michael Cohen told Insider - Yahoo News - July 25th, 2021
- Why the investigation into Trump's alleged misdeeds may be in trouble - Salon - July 25th, 2021
- Trump opines on coup while rejecting fears about his actions - Associated Press - July 16th, 2021
- Trump Lawyers Who Spread False Election Claims Are Now Defending Themselves In Court - NPR - July 16th, 2021
- Opinion: Why we still pay attention to Donald Trump - Poynter - July 16th, 2021
- Kremlin papers appear to show Putins plot to put Trump in White House - The Guardian - July 16th, 2021
- What you need to know about Bill McSwains letter to Donald Trump on Pa. voter fraud - The Philadelphia Inquirer - July 16th, 2021
- Donald Trump's angry at Brett Kavanaugh but this court is a huge win for the far right - Salon - July 16th, 2021
- Mike Pence and Benjamin Netanyahu pushed Donald Trump to bomb Iran after losing the election: rpt - Salon - July 16th, 2021
- Legal threats to Donald Trump more serious than ever before, experts say - The Guardian - July 14th, 2021
- Donald Trump Isnt Letting It Go - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- The Trump Organization Desperately Tries to Distance Itself From Its Criminally Indicted CFO - Vanity Fair - July 14th, 2021
- Trump Is Very Disappointed in Brett Kavanaugh for Not Helping Him Steal the Election - Vanity Fair - July 14th, 2021
- Biden takes big break from habit of avoiding Trump talk | TheHill - The Hill - July 14th, 2021
- Trump's Revenge on Brad Raffensperger in Georgia - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- I've lived under Donald Trump and Fidel Castro. Both taught me the importance of defending truth. - America Magazine - July 14th, 2021
- Opinion | America Punishes Only a Certain Kind of Rebel - The New York Times - July 14th, 2021
- Trump on Jan. 6 insurrection: 'These were great people' - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Inside Donald Trumps Last Days in the White House and Plans for a Comeback - The Wall Street Journal - July 12th, 2021
- Trumpworld wants distance from QAnon even as the ex-president winks at it - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Trump team waited for Wisc. election updates, had time zones wrong: book - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Governors' races see flood of pro-Trump candidates | TheHill - The Hill - July 12th, 2021
- F--k Him: Rupert Murdoch Reportedly Made the Call to Bury Trumps Election Night Dreams in a Shallow Grave - Vanity Fair - July 12th, 2021
- Trump says he paved the way for billionaires' space race - New York Post - July 12th, 2021
- Fact-checking Donald Trump on there being 'no reason' for shooting Ashli Babbitt - PolitiFact - July 12th, 2021
- Why Are Republican Governors Sending National Guard to the Border? - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Who's the Top MAGA Influencer Six Months After Trump Social Media Ban? A Newsweek Ranking - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to campaign trail with rally ... - June 28th, 2021
- Still reeling from election loss, Trump says Mitch McConnell 'blew it' for America - Courier Journal - June 28th, 2021
- QAnon Followers Think They See Donald Trump in White House Window Reflection - Newsweek - June 28th, 2021
- Donald Trump Denies That He Asked Justice Department To Go After Saturday Night Live - Deadline - June 28th, 2021
- Reports of a "diminished" Trump are greatly exaggerated he can ride the Big Lie to a 2024 win - Salon - June 28th, 2021
- Is This What Donald Trump Really Thinks Of Rudy Giuliani? - The List - June 28th, 2021
- Out-of-Practice Trump Forgets to Strand Rally Crowd in Parking Lot - The New Yorker - June 28th, 2021
- From Trump to vets: Its a nice break from trench warfare of politics - Deseret News - June 28th, 2021
- Donald Trump Has Apparently Been Questioning All that Jared Kushner Did for His Administration - Yahoo Entertainment - June 28th, 2021
- Of Course Trump Tried to Get the Justice Department to Stop SNL From Making Fun of Him - Vanity Fair - June 24th, 2021
- Pence May Finally Be Ready to Strike Back Against Trump - Business Insider - June 24th, 2021
- Inside the extraordinary effort to save Trump from COVID-19 - Anchorage Daily News - June 24th, 2021
- Is banning Trump from Facebook a First Amendment issue? Clarence Thomas, other conservatives say it is - USA TODAY - June 24th, 2021
- Analysis: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott already has the one endorsement he needs - The Texas Tribune - June 24th, 2021
- Facebook says Donald Trump to remain banned for two years, effective from Jan. 7 - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- No, Donald Trump didnt win Texas by a lot in 2020; it was among the worst GOP victory margins in decades - The Dallas Morning News - June 6th, 2021
- Did Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kris Kross Memes Have Already Begun - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2021
- The Confusing Law That Could Shape Trumps Legal Fate - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Republicans fear Trump will lead to a lost generation of talent - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump and why obstruction of justice matters - MSNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. joins Cameo | TheHill - The Hill - June 6th, 2021
- Don McGahn's Testimony Could Finally Break Donald Trump's Ability to Evade the Law - The New Republic - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump's new blog crashed after he posted an unverified claim about election fraud in Arizona - Business Insider - May 20th, 2021
- What we know about investigations looming over Donald Trump and Trump Organization - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump, coronavirus news & more: Whats trending today - cleveland.com - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump flies north for the summer to New Jersey golf club - The Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Is An Exemplary Tenant, Says His Washington D.C. Landlord - Forbes - May 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden proves an elusive target for Republicans. After Cheney fight, their focus is back on the president - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Bashes 2020 Presidential Election As 'Crime Of The Century' - HuffPost - May 20th, 2021
- Does Donald Trump Know He Could Be Arrested This Year? - Yahoo Entertainment - May 20th, 2021
- Trumps Social Media Magic Appears to Be Wearing Off - Vanity Fair - May 11th, 2021
- Bennet Wants White House Review Of Trump's Decision To Move Space Command Away From Colorado Springs - Colorado Public Radio - May 11th, 2021
- Mike Pence looks at the 2024 presidential race but sees Donald Trump everywhere - South Bend Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Glaring Problem With GOP's Trump Obsession. He Doesn't Need Them Anymore - Business Insider - May 11th, 2021
- Is there a Snapple Fact that says that Donald Trump lost? Lid tweet goes viral! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - May 11th, 2021
- The Truth About Melania And Donald Trump's Relationship Today - Nicki Swift - May 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog ... - May 9th, 2021
- What will Facebooks ban mean for Donald Trumps future? - Brookings Institution - May 9th, 2021
- Murphy gliding in NJ's primary; GOP wrestling with Trump - Associated Press - May 9th, 2021
- Trump wouldn't be the first ex-president to run again but he might be the last - Salon - May 9th, 2021
- Caitlyn Jenner praises Donald Trump and says she's in favor of building 'the wall' in Sean Hannity interview - Business Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Doctor against medical marijuana; readers address Donald Trump's lie, Medicaid expansion - The Topeka Capital-Journal - May 9th, 2021
- Donald Trump's Adult Children Are Still Costing Taxpayers Thousands Of Dollars A Day - HuffPost - May 7th, 2021