Disclaimer:The views expressed in this article solely belong to the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Fresh Toast.
Let me begin by acknowledging that I have conflicts of interest on this topic (explained below). But did you know that cannabis is a substance in marijuana?? Yep. There it is on the first line of a new report How Safe Is CBD? from the National Center for Health Research.
I am desperately trying to find out if cannabis is also present in ganja, weed, or grass. Pardon the sarcasm, but here we go again.
Photo by Christin Hume via Unsplash
There is a new group, Consumers for Safe CBD, which is a program of the National Consumers League. The National Consumers League (NCL) is Americas original consumer advocacy organization.
That means they have been around long enough to know better.
Here are their 4 Suggested Solutions to their perceived problems with CBD:
WARN THE PUBLIC OF THE DANGERS OF THE CBD MARKET
Untested, unapproved CBD products may pose a growing public health threat. This is a rapidly growing consumer market composed of CBD products that unlike prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, cosmetics, or food products has been operating outside the scope of federal law and regulation. Nearly all of these products:
The FDA should warn the public about the dangers of unapproved, untested, illegal CBD products. Like this from December of last year: FDA Warns Companies Illegally Selling CBD Products
ENFORCE EXISTING REGULATIONS REGARDING LABELING AND INGREDIENTS
Mislabeling is common with CBD products. In a 2020 report to Congress, FDA found more than half of the tested products were mislabeled. And consumers utilizing unapproved CBD products run the risk of encountering harmful contaminants. Independent testing of the 240 top-selling CBD products found that 70 percent were contaminated with substances including lead, arsenic, herbicides, pesticides, and toxic mold.
The FDA should curtail the proliferation of potentially dangerous, unapproved CBD products by using its existing legal authority.
(Do they mean the FDA should ban CBD until the FDA can get its act together???)
Photo by BATCH by Wisconsin Hemp Scientific via Unsplash
DETERMINE SAFE CONCENTRATION LEVELS FOR CBD PRODUCTS
The idea that unapproved CBD products contain only the safe parts of the hemp plant is not always correct. The FDAs report to Congress found that nearly 20 CBD products tested contained THC.
(Obviously, all products should be accurately labeled, and that is already the law.)
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) and the Consumer Federation of America (CFA) recently highlighted a study showing that 18 of 84 CBD product samples tested contained THC levels sufficient to cause impairment. This heightens the risk, particularly for young children and pets. When the THC level is enough to produce intoxication or a positive result on a drug test, which has already led to some consumers unwittingly losing their jobs, its clear that we need greater testing and oversight.
(I have not been able to find any corroboration of this claim, but it would require consuming large quantities of CBD with high levels of THC to trigger a positive on a urine test. Dubious.)
SEE: Best CBD Brands To Try: Blue Ribbon Hemp A Real Tested CBD Feature
Additionally, clinical testing of the sole FDA-approved CBD medication provided scientific data showing that higher levels of CBD can potentially cause liver damage or liver toxicity from cumulative use over time. (I think this is dishonest. See: Worried About CBD Hurting Your Liver? Heres What the Experts Have to Say )
SEE: Almost 200,000 patients at risk from NSAID prescribing, NHS data show
According to Healthline: While experts point out patients need to be informed about what theyre getting and what the risks can be, the amount of CBD the animals were exposed to is far higher than what most humans would take.
In that same Healthline article, Dr. Diana Martins-Welch, attending physician in palliative medicine at Northwell Health in New Hyde Park, New York, explains that, Many people know that taking too much ibuprofen or Tylenol can have detrimental consequences. CBD is no different. Generally speaking, therapeutic CBD doses range from 0.5 mg/kg/day to 20 mg/kg per day,
ENCOURAGE ROBUST CLINICAL RESEARCH INTO CBDS POTENTIAL TO IMPROVE HEALTH AND LIVES
It is important to encourage robust clinical research into the potential of CBD so that patients will have more treatment options. The potential health benefits of CBD need to be better understood and optimized, which can only be done through clinical testing with scientifically validated methodologies.The rush of untested products to the marketplace isnt good for public health and has discouraged legitimate companies from dedicating the time, effort, and resources needed to develop products that could be FDA-approved.
Photo by CRYSTALWEED cannabis via Unsplash
Frankly, that is utter nonsense. First, keeping CBD off the market until it has been approved by the FDA would harm the millions of people who find it helpful. So in the land of the free, home of the brave, just shut up and suffer and die until your betters have decided they have the time to determine if you can use a plant that was used as medicine for thousands of years.
Moreover, the knowledge that cannabinoids could be helpful was not discovered by the FDA or the pharmaceutical industry. It was discovered in the unregulated, banned, criminalized black market. The booming unregulated market has not discouraged investment in cannabinoids. On the contrary. The pharmaceutical industries are pouring billions into cannabinoid research.
SEE: The Curious Case Of GW Pharmaceuticals And The Acquisition Of GW Pharmaceuticals Raises Many Interesting Questions
The FDA should incentivize CBD research, clinical trials, and the creation of new CBD treatments that are backed by science and approved by the FDA. Many people agree CBD has the potential to improve lives, but research and clinical data are needed to move the industry forward in the right direction.
Now for my conflict of interest. Yes, I am in the CBD business. But I am also in the CBD testing business. Over a year ago we set up a companywww.RealTestedCBD.com to meet the very real need for greater confidence in CBD products. We managed to do this, motivated by the nasty old profit motive, without being approved or funded by the federal government. See: 5 Important Things To Consider Before Buying CBD.
Richard Cowan is a former NORML National Director and author of Comparison Between CBD Isolate And Full-Spectrum CBD Oil.
Read the original:
- USA-Grown Organic CBD Topicals With Aim to Improve Americans' Lifestyles - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- Pacific Roots Introduces Wellness and Pleasure Line Products Infused With CBD - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- More Canadians turning to cannabis to help deal with pandemic pressures - CBC.ca - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Extract Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil in Beauty Products Market Rising Trends,Competitive Strategies,Market Size,Latest Technologies Research And Future Scope 2025 ... - May 31st, 2021
- Deal: These CBD Gummies Will Cure Your Sunday Scaries - InsideHook - May 31st, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on CBD Hemp Oil Market 2020-2028 Canopy Growth Corporation, Medical Marijuana, Inc., Canndeo Limited, Aphria Inc. The Courier -... - May 31st, 2021
- Why Dont You Feel the Effects of CBD? - Phones Wiki - May 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil: What are 9 Proven or Possible Health Benefits? - May 27th, 2021
- Top 3 CBD Oils for Pain [That Actually Work] - 2021 Guide - May 27th, 2021
- CBD: Safe and effective? - Mayo Clinic - May 27th, 2021
- Can CBD Oil Be Used As An Antifungal? - nativenewsonline.net - May 27th, 2021
- WVU Today | As CBD oil sales hit the gas, WVU researcher studies its effects on driving performance - WVU Today - May 27th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 27th, 2021
- Summer Means a Return to Activity, and Time for Cibadol Products - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Well Care Botanicals CBD Topicals: Our Review - Ministry of Hemp - May 27th, 2021
- 9 Best CBD Bundles and Starter Packs of 2021 - Healthline - May 20th, 2021
- What is CBD oil and how does it benefit your pets? - The Indian Express - May 20th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 Overview with Demographic Data and Industry Growth Trends 2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 20th, 2021
- Tips on Using Cannabis Oil for Treating Medical Conditions - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- What Is the Strongest CBD Oil and Where Can You Buy It? - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- Breakfast recipe: CBD oil overnight oats with pear and honey - Metro.co.uk - May 20th, 2021
- Millennia in the making: unlocking the medicinal value of CBD - Drug Target Review - May 20th, 2021
- I Took CBD For Two Weeks. Here's How It Made Me Feel - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - May 20th, 2021
- The global medical cannabis market is expected to reach US$ 49,116.4 million by 2028 from US$ 8,926.6 million in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 20th, 2021
- $18+ Billion Worldwide Industrial Hemp Industry to 2025 - Key Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges - PRNewswire - May 20th, 2021
- CBD oil processor offers THC 'remediation,' but regulators urge caution - Pine Journal - May 16th, 2021
- How Using CBD Oil Can Give You a Good Night's Sleep - Critical Blast - May 16th, 2021
- 4 Ways To Check If Your Dog's CBD is Safe And Effective - - VENTS Magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Forecast Including Growth Factors, Types And Application By Regional Geography 2021 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 16th, 2021
- $18+ billion worldwide industrial hemp industry to 2025 - key drivers, restraints, opportunities and challenges Greenway Magazine - Greenway - May 16th, 2021
- Top 5 CBD Snacks That You Should Try - UrbanMatter - May 16th, 2021
- High cannabis sales during the pandemic allows Calgary business to expand - Globalnews.ca - May 16th, 2021
- Global Hemp Derived CBD Oil Market 2020-2025 Industry Status and Trends Outlook By Type and Application Global Marketers Brockville Observer -... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD for pets: does it work and is it safe? - ZME Science - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil in Dietary Supplements Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | The Courier - The... - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) 2021 to See Major Growth in Revenue, Leading Players -Isodiol International Inc, HempLife Today, Hemp Oil... - May 16th, 2021
- Mental Health Awareness Week: Cannabis, CBD, and Anxiety - The Cannabis Exchange - May 16th, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: The Secret History And Future Growth | Value Share and Key Trends 2021-2027|| POST COVID-19 Unlock Opportunities with Coronavirus... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD of Denver to Present at the Investor Hot Seat on May 20 - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Size is Estimited To Reach USD XX Mn By 2023 with CAGR 36% Brockville Observer - Brockville Observer - May 16th, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Applications across Diverse Industry Verticals will emerge in Favor of Market Growth to Boost Sales Revenue ... - May 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Industry to 2025 - Legalised Supply of Quality-controlled CBD Oil for Sale is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Best CBD Products To Try This Spring - vmagazine.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Martha Stewart, Jaleel White and more promote cannabis use: Experts weigh in on THC vs. CBD - USA TODAY - April 23rd, 2021
- The Chemistry of Delta-8 'New and Improved' THC - American Council on Science and Health - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Buy CBD for Dogs in Maryland - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - April 23rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Vaping CBD Oil - - VENTS Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Research, Trends, Key Players and Forecast to 2027 Clark County Blog - Clark County... - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Pharmaceutical Grade Hemp Oil Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Industry Growth Analysis, Future Demand and Leading Players Updates by... - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp legalization to help crop diversity in rural communities, bring in additional revenue - KTVB.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market 2021 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 Northern Gwinnett News - Northern Gwinnett News... - April 23rd, 2021
- Nextleaf Solutions Onboards New Partner and Delivers Initial Bulk CBD Order - StreetInsider.com - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil (Middle East and Africa) Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- Does CBD Oil Expire? How to Check and Whether It's Safe - Healthline - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market Insights, Forecast and Global Industry Analysis | Medical Marijuana, FOLIUM BIOSCIENCES, IrieCBD The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- How Houstons Hemp-Based Highway Vodka Went From Hobby to Hot Commodity - Eater Houston - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD oil, mental health days for first responders? Here are some resources Austin personnel could be getting - KXAN.com - April 11th, 2021
- 11 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - April 11th, 2021
- Top 9 Tips on Using CBD Oil - Oregon Cannabis Connection - April 11th, 2021
- The Benefits of CBD Gummies - Orlando Magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats To Reduce Dog's Anxiety & Pain - Bainbridge Island Review - April 11th, 2021
- 7 Vegan CBD Products That Will Destress You Right Now - VegNews - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Global Demand to Offer Lucrative Growth Prospects For Manufacturers By Aurora Cannabis, MARICANN, Tilray, Tikun Olam, The... - April 11th, 2021
- I Tried Tommy Chong's Good Vibes Protocol CBD & It Changed Everything - L.A. Weekly - April 11th, 2021
- What To Expect In 2021 from CBD Oil Market, Know Why Competition is Rising The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Insights, Facts, Figures and Trends 2021-2027 | MarketDigits The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- Marijuana dispensary could be within reach for local CBD shop owner - wtkr.com - wtkr.com - April 11th, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. Reports First Quarter 2021 Revenue of USD $7.3 Million - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2021
- Full Spectrum Cannabis Products Industry Expected To Remain Robust Through 2027 - PRNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- SMPLSTC Reveals 3 New CBD Tinctures - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market Future Growth Prospect, Industry Report And Growing Demand Analysis Till 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 is Showing Impressive Growth by 2029 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast Research KSU | The... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD for Alzheimer's? The Cannabidiol Craze Makes Its Way Into Research - Being Patient - March 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- Heres Why Everybody Is Trying CBD Body Wash - SF Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Major factor driving the growth of this market is the medical advantages of CBD oil | DBMR The Courier - The Courier - March 31st, 2021
- Canna Comforts continues to expand with its focus on Hemp CBD products that heal - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: Current Market Scenario And Industry Forecasts 2021-2027|| Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. (CBDD) Becomes One of the First CBD Companies to Accept Bitcoin and Other Crypto Currencies - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021