A cache of documents recently unveiled highlight that radicalism and anarchy has been pushed at Evergreen State College since at least 2008.
The documents were exposed by a disgruntled, anonymous Evergreen graduate in a blog post published earlier this month amid upheaval at the public university. The documents consists mainly of Disorientation manuals produced by a campus anarchist group that denounce police, capitalism and banks, and argueshoplifting is a form of survivalism. They also tick off examples of cultural appropriation, such as mohawks, and declare manifestation of white privilege is all around us.
The blogger, listed only under the screen name of Son of Tuck, claims a pervasive element has existed at the campus for years and more recently gained control of it.
The college isnt bad. It just got taken over by a domestic terror cell, writes the blogger, for which contact information is unavailable.The College Fix was made aware of the blog by an anonymous source.
Disorientation guides are not unique to Evergreen. Theyve popped up in the past at Columbia, Amherst, and even Middlebury College, where earlier this springstudents, faculty and outsiders violently protested a conservative guest speakers speech, a melee that left a professor there with a neck injury.
A campus in crisis
The revelation of the Evergreen documents comes amid massive turmoil at the public college in Olympia, Wash.
Last month, students cornered and shouted at biology professor Bret Weinstein over his objection to a Day of Absence event that asked white students and faculty to leave campus for a day. Protesters demanded he be fired. Many faculty called for Weinstein to be punished.
The events have left campus in disarray. Unspecified threats closedthe college for several days. Meanwhile, a group of vigilantes took to patrolling campus with baseball bats.
The current turmoil cannot be directly linked to student anarchists.
However thedisorientation manuals, produced in the past by a student anarchist group known as Sabot Infoshoppe, amount to radical, far-left manifestos that include writings expressing anti-corporatist and anti-police views, the latter of which is a main complaint among protesters today.
Other issues discussed in the manual include white privilege, food justice and what local businesses students should boycott.
A history of radicalism
Recent events at the public university are hardly the first time that left-wing students have stirred controversy on campus. A school known for its progressive reputation, past events show the roots of left-wing activism are embedded in the schools past.
For example, Evergreen was the sight of an anti-police riot in 2008 and played host to an anarchist workshop in 2013. In 2006, some students even protested at the commencement speech of Washingtons liberal governor.
As for disorientation: Mohawks are cultural appropriation. Banks invest in operations that often hurt humans. Shoplifting is a form of survivalism. Those are just a few things stated in the 2013-2014 Disorientation Manual. Itspans 99 pages and includes anonymously written articles touching on issues ranging from protesting tips to discussion of neo-Nazis.
Depending on where youre from, issues such as race priviledges [sic] or food politics may or may not have occured [sic] to you before, the document states. But, be sure, they will come up in seminar. We want to prepare you here with overviews of such inflamatory [sic] ideas to help you begin your process toward a life of thinking more critically and empathetically.
According to theblog post written by the Evergreen graduate, the Disorientation Manual has been an annual tradition for Sabot Infoshoppe. The blogger posted photos showing the 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11 manifestos.
Disorientation Manual 2013 by The College Fix on Scribd
The blogger, who says they graduated from Evergreen in 2012, states I picked up my copy every year at their booth during Orientation week and adds people knew about the DisMan. It unclear how widelythe documents were distributed.
Today, Sabot Infoshoppe is not listed as an official student group on the universitys website and its unknown if a disorientation guide was made for the 2016-17 school year.
Evergreen increasingly radicalized over the years
But I feel compelled to come forward with evidence that the school has allowed student groups (at best) or domestic terrorists (at worse) to indoctrinate freshman into their extremist ideology, the blogger writes.
Son of Tuck posits that recent events on campus, specifically the protest of Weinstein, havent occurred in a vacuum. The blogger argues the school, and the community around it, has had a radical strand for years.
There has been dissent brewing in Olympia (The All-America City86-87) for a long time, and Evergreen has been increasingly radicalized over the years by a small but ever-growing group of what I will call domestic terrorists, the blogger writes.
According to an online flyer for a past Sabot Infoshoppe meeting, the group was described as having a history of radical speaking events, workshops, and movie nights, as well as a former space for books, zines, and dvds.
The groups 2013-2014 booklet describes Evergreen as a school with a progressive student body, but rails on an administration described as too closely tied with corporate interests.
However, underneath this revolutionary reputation lies a hierarchical institution that often resembles the fucked up shit in society that we are considered radical for opposing, it states.
Its guide states manifestation of white privilege is all around us and diversity isnt great at the college. It alleges that examples of white privilege at the school are when white students control discussion during seminars and also include cultural appropriation via hairstyles such as mohawks or dreadlocks.
The manualalso includes anti-police and anti-bank sentiments, telling students that banks are totally fucked. Law enforcement is brought up multiple times throughout the document, with one article alleging police benefit the wealthy.
Sure, there are the random anecdotes of an officer rescuing a cat or catching a burglar. But, in reality, most police officers (and the Olympia Police Department [OPD] is no exception here) spend much of their time harassing poor people and protecting the interests of the rich and powerful, the reading states.
History of activism
The recent events at Evergreen arent the only time radical, left-wing students have held protests on campus. In fact, the school was the sight of a riot in 2008 during a concert held on campus. After a campus police officer took a suspect into custody, the crowd shouted at the officer and then later damaged the officers vehicle. Multiple students were arrested over the incident, according to The Seattle Times.
In 2013, the campus was sight of an anarchist workshop that wasmovedoff campus after an attendee got in a scuffle with a blogger attempting to take pictures of the event.
Liberal students apparently protested at the colleges 2006 commencement over speaker Christine Gregoire, who was then the Democratic governor of Washington. According to the Disorientation Manual, students turned their back to Gregoire as she spoke and held up signs. A banner at the event reportedly read Gov. Gregoire Please Stop Your Racist Welfare Policies.
MORE:I attend Evergreen State College. Its not racist. But it is delusional.
Like The College Fix on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter
IMAGE CREDIT: Evergreen College
About the Author
Nathan Rubbelke is a staff reporter for The College Fix with a specialty on investigative and enterprise reporting. He has also held editorial positions at The Commercial Review daily newspaper in Portland, Indiana, as well as atThe Washington Examiner, Red Alert Politics and St. Louis Public Radio.Rubbelke graduated from Saint Louis University, where he majored in political science and sociology.
Read the original post:
- The Terminator Created a New Kind of Hero With Kyle Reese - Yahoo Entertainment - October 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin Might Head To The $6,000 Region In The Near-Term According to Wyckoff Logic - ZyCrypto - October 17th, 2019
- Low Tide Review: The Goonies Meets The Treasure of the Sierra Madre in Sharp Coming-of-Age Thriller - IndieWire - October 4th, 2019
- As the climate collapses, we can either stand together or perish alone - The Guardian - October 4th, 2019
- Gary K. Wolfe Reviews Trapped in the R.A.W., A Journal of My Experiences during the Great Invasion by Kaylee Bearovna by Kate Boyes - Locus Online - October 4th, 2019
- Oregon 'Hate Map' Reveals 11 Racist, Separatist Hate Groups In The State - Patch.com - August 18th, 2017
- Doomsday Desperation - Southern Poverty Law Center - August 18th, 2017
- 'American Made' Review: Tom Cruise Flies Between Comedy and Tension, Missing Both - TheWrap - August 18th, 2017
- North Korea: Nuclear War Fears Spur Sales of Preparedness Goods ... - Fortune - August 14th, 2017
- For Doomsday Preppers, the End of the World Is Good for Business - New York Times - August 13th, 2017
- Film Review: Good Time - Consequence of Sound (blog) - August 13th, 2017
- What I Learned From the Neo-Nazi in My Prison Book Club | The ... - The Marshall Project - August 11th, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails - Webster Hall, New York City - Gigs - Reviews ... - Soundblab - August 11th, 2017
- Film Review: The Glass Castle Fails on Almost Every Level - Splice Today - August 11th, 2017
- If North Korea targets Guam, how should the US respond? - Fox News - August 11th, 2017
- Naked - slantmagazine - August 10th, 2017
- Noir Thriller Wind River Examines An Ignored America - Willamette Week - August 10th, 2017
- Silicon Valley luminaries are busily preparing for when robots take ... - Mashable - August 10th, 2017
- Review: Nolan's 'Dunkirk' is as Riveting as it is Groundbreaking - First Showing (blog) - July 23rd, 2017
- Do you Have What it Takes to be a Christian Survivalist? - CBN News - July 19th, 2017
- Morning Star :: No growth but lots of opportunities | The People's Daily - Morning Star Online - July 19th, 2017
- 'War for the Planet of the Apes' Review: Finale of biblical proportions - Rappler - July 18th, 2017
- Queued Up: 'The Lego Batman Movie,' 'XX,' 'Logan,' and More - Aquarian Weekly - July 12th, 2017
- Film Review: War for the Planet of the Apes - Consequence of Sound (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- Review: Paranoia thriller It Comes At Night is impressively tense and ... - Norfolk Eastern Daily Press - July 8th, 2017
- Review: Paranoia thriller It Comes At Night is impressively tense and ineffably creepy - Norwich Evening News - July 8th, 2017
- DJ CherishTheLuv, Music Missionary - HuffPost - June 30th, 2017
- What it Means to Finish Pikes Peak + Results - Hot Rod Network - Hot Rod Network - June 29th, 2017
- 'It Comes at Night' a Spellbinding Tale of Family and Survival - Shepherd Express - June 29th, 2017
- Are you ready when disaster strikes? These Minnesota doomsday preppers are - Charleston Express - June 26th, 2017
- Are you ready when disaster strikes? These Minnesota doomsday preppers are - Arkansas News - June 25th, 2017
- Where billionaires are stockpiling land for the apocalypse: Map - The Real Deal Magazine - June 19th, 2017
- Map reveals where billionaires are stockpiling land that could be used in the apocalypse - Business Insider Nordic - June 17th, 2017
- Map reveals where billionaires are stockpiling land that could be used in the apocalypse - SFGate - June 15th, 2017
- Billionaires are stockpiling land that could be used in the apocalypse here's where they're going - The Advocate - June 15th, 2017
- Next "Far Cry" video game is set in Montana - KRTV News in Great Falls, Montana - KRTV Great Falls News - June 11th, 2017
- Veteran teaches disaster preparation skills at Heights library - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 10th, 2017
- It Comes At Night stars on survivalism, the apocalypse - WDEF News 12 - June 9th, 2017
- Margaret Atwood on the utopias hiding inside her dystopias and why there is no the future - Vox - June 9th, 2017
- Humanity 2.0: The Unstoppability of Singularity - HuffPost - June 8th, 2017
- Upcoming "Far Cry" video game is set in Montana - KTVQ Billings News - June 6th, 2017
- Survivalist shares experience in Harker Heights - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 5th, 2017
- Click Your Hiking Boots Together: Oz Farm Is NorCal's Eco ... - 7x7 - June 3rd, 2017
- You'll Find Far Cry 5 ProvocativeEven if It's a Mess - WIRED - June 1st, 2017
- 'Alien: Covenant' and the Nature of Horror - Film School Rejects - June 1st, 2017
- Via 'The Florida Project,' meet two of the youngest stars in Cannes Film Festival history - Los Angeles Times - June 1st, 2017
- Alien 3 is far from the worst Alien movie. In fact, it's pretty great. - Vox - Vox - May 23rd, 2017
- These Minnesota doomsday preppers are ready for disaster to strike ... - Grand Forks Herald - May 14th, 2017
- These Minnesota doomsday preppers are ready for disaster to strike ... - Duluth News Tribune - May 11th, 2017
- Are you ready when disaster strikes? These Minnesota doomsday preppers are - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - May 9th, 2017
- Homesteading and Survivalism Living a simple life - May 6th, 2017
- On Ketamine and Added Value - E-Flux - May 6th, 2017
- A Memorial Day Festival for Colorado's Most Famous Cannibal - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - May 4th, 2017
- Learning Survival Skills - Mother Earth News - April 30th, 2017
- Seedship Review The best parts of Sci-Fi - A 90s Kid - April 30th, 2017
- Vanishing: Where Is The Music Of The Impending Apocalypse? - The Quietus - April 27th, 2017
- Community pays tribute to 102nd anniversary of Armenian Genocide - Twin Falls Times-News - April 25th, 2017
- To Sunderland owner Ellis Short - this is for you - Roker Report (blog) - April 25th, 2017
- Did the Movie-Theater Audience Ruin Personal Shopper for Me? - New York Magazine - April 23rd, 2017
- Mitzvah-Lite: What We Miss When We Only Follow Moral Commandments - Forward - April 21st, 2017
- Conan Exiles to be released for the Xbox One in second half of 2017 - Windows Report - April 17th, 2017
- Adrienne Truscott Presents Solo 'Non-Dance', THIS at New York Live Arts - Broadway World - April 13th, 2017
- Conan Exiles is coming to Xbox One here's why you should care - Windows Central - April 13th, 2017
- A Small Step for Man: Life Frightens Without Inspiring - The Georgetown Voice - April 12th, 2017
- The Founding Fathers Of Survivalism - Survive Tomorrow - April 7th, 2017
- Brazil Really Needs Its Most Hated Politician - Bloomberg - April 7th, 2017
- Crazy In The Desert - Men's Journal - April 7th, 2017
- Bunker mentality - The Exponent Telegram (press release) (registration) - March 27th, 2017
- Coming of age after Purim - Jerusalem Post Israel News - March 23rd, 2017
- Jay Weatherill's big energy call is a survivalist fix of last resort - The Guardian - March 17th, 2017
- South London's Phobophobes Share Sinister New Music Video - Broadway World - March 10th, 2017
- One of Trump's treasury assistants is a survivalist who invented a bizarre techno-bow - The Verge - March 10th, 2017
- Wingin' It - The Portland Mercury - March 8th, 2017
- Feminist pacifism or passive-ism? - Open Democracy - March 7th, 2017
- How a mythical 'hermit' criminal hid in the woods for decades - New York Post - March 4th, 2017
- Wolf Pack 2017 - Creative Collectives Australia - March 1st, 2017
- MAGIC Fall 2017 Fashion Trend: Puffer Jackets WWD - WWD - February 28th, 2017
- Witnessing the Ghosts Of the Past and the Struggles Of the Future in Kashmir - The Wire - February 28th, 2017
- The Essential Animation Charms of 'My Life as a Zucchini' and 'The Red Turtle' - Film School Rejects - February 26th, 2017
- Green politics can save us - Drexel University The Triangle Online - February 24th, 2017