Through poetry, Hajjar Baban has found her voice and her calling.
Her chosen field, she says, allows her to be honest about my understanding of the world while changing and imagining new ways of being.
The 2020 UWMadison graduate already has achieved considerable success. Shes now poised for more.
Baban has been named one of 30 recipients of a 2021 Paul & Daisy SorosFellowship for New Americans, a merit-based graduate school program for immigrants and children of immigrants. She was chosen from a pool of 2,445 applicants, the most in the programs history.
Baban currently is pursuing a master of fine arts degree in poetry at the University of Virginia. Each Soros Fellow receives up to $90,000 in funding to support their graduate studies.
Born in Pakistan, Baban immigrated to the U.S. with her parents when she was 2. Her mother had sought refuge in Pakistan from the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and her father had escaped persecution in Pakistan as a Kurd in Iran.
Baban and her siblings grew up in Dearborn, Michigan. In high school, through a Google search of poetry slam events in the area, Baban began writing with InsideOut, a Detroit literary arts program. She later served as the 2017 Detroit Youth Poet Laureate.
She attended UWMadison through the First Wave Scholarship Program, the first and only full-tuition scholarship for urban arts. She majored in English and creative writing and also studied Persian, Arabic and Pashto.
Poetry, Baban says, allows her to be honest about my understanding of the world while changing and imagining new ways of being.
As a freshman, Baban was a finalist for the inaugural position of National Youth Poet Laureate. She finished second to Amanda Gorman, the poet who delivered an original composition at President Joe Bidens inauguration in January.
Baban has received both university awards and those from literary magazines, including the Charles M. Hart Jr. Writers of Promise Award, the George B. Hill Poetry Award, the Ron Wallace Poetry Thesis Prize, the Gearhart Poetry Prize, and the Matt Clark Editors Choice Prize. Her work has appeared in The Offing, Foundry Magazine, and the Asian American Writers Workshop magazine, among others. She recently completed her first full-length poetry manuscript, Singular Wreckings.
Those eligible for New American Fellowships include green card holders, naturalized citizens, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) recipients, individuals born abroad who graduated from both high school and college in the United States, and the U.S.-born children of two immigrants.
The award demonstrates the immense contributions that immigrants of all backgrounds make to the United States, says fellowship director Craig Harwood. Each 2021 Fellow is a reminder of what is best about this country.
Much of Babans work touches on concepts of nation and belonging. She intends to continue to look for opportunities to be in community with immigrant writers, whether as a mentor or student herself.
To me, being a New American means moving about this country with intention of my identity how it impacts, how I can heal, and what it means for those who come after me, Baban says.
Another UWMadison graduate, HaoYang (Carl) Jiang,was awarded a Soros Fellowship in 2018 to pursue a career in law.
- Fauci: Paul doesn't know what he's talking about | TheHill - The Hill - July 27th, 2021
- Should the US return to the gold standard? No - The Daily World - July 27th, 2021
- Should the US Return to the Gold Standard? InsideSources - InsideSources - July 27th, 2021
- TEXAS Thumbs: Texas Dems in disarray and Houston gets snubbed HOUSTON CHRONICLE - Houston Chronicle - July 27th, 2021
- VAERS reports may initiate investigations into potential associations between a vaccine and adverse events, but on their own cannot prove causality -... - July 27th, 2021
- Selected Quotes And Seven Lessons From The Hard Money Mini-Documentary - bitcoinist.com - July 27th, 2021
- POLITICO Playbook: Is McCarthy prepared for Trump's wrath about the Jan. 6 committee? - POLITICO - Politico - July 27th, 2021
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' cast 20 years later: Where are they now? - Wonderwall - July 27th, 2021
- Sen. Rand Paul wades into Texas governor's race against Gov. Abbott - Houston Chronicle - July 23rd, 2021
- Ron Paul: 'Ed-Exit' To Protect Your Kids From Critical Race Theory OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 23rd, 2021
- Thirty Years After Slacker, the Film Is an Austin Time CapsuleAnd a Hopeful Tribute to Its Spirit - Texas Monthly - July 23rd, 2021
- Cornyn Joins Letter Urging Biden Administration to Abandon the Tax-Hike Proposal on Farmers and Ranchers - Senator John Cornyn - July 23rd, 2021
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of July 23 - ECM Publishers - July 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: July 22, 2021 - TCPalm - July 23rd, 2021
- It will be remembered: Trump allies cross him in special election - POLITICO - July 18th, 2021
- Sens. Rick Scott, Ron Johnson and Colleagues on Democrats' Partisan Spending Bill: America Needs to Invest in Infrastructure Without Out-of-Control... - July 18th, 2021
- Lifting the U.S. Embargo Against Cuba Will Create Wealth and Prosperity for Both Countries - Energy & Capital - July 18th, 2021
- Wild and the Expansion Draft: What you need to know - BlueJackets.com - July 18th, 2021
- All-time City Golf champions - The Herald-Times - July 18th, 2021
- Want to Buy a Luxury Watch? Read These 7 Pro Tips First - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- What issues will guide the 2022 election? Check ads from GOP senators - Deseret News - July 18th, 2021
- Sunday's letters: Blame unvaccinated for pandemic, women stand against abortion ban, more - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 18th, 2021
- Daye looks back on over 40 years as local banker - Wilkes Journal Patriot - July 14th, 2021
- Golfing with Wynn: Could there be a dynasty forming in the Tuesday Men's League? - St. Albans Messenger - July 14th, 2021
- Sports for the Record: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 | Sports News | tulsaworld.com - Tulsa World - July 14th, 2021
- The Point, July 14, 2021: 'The Bay Is Really Hurting': Red Tide Kills Thousands Of Fish In Tampa Bay - WUFT - July 14th, 2021
- COVID Community Test Sites In Mpls., St. Paul, Bloomington To Close By End Of The Week - CBS Minnesota - June 28th, 2021
- Around the County - Runnels County Register - June 28th, 2021
- Pride Parties, Openings, And More FOMO-inducing Events From The Weekend! - Daily Front Row - June 28th, 2021
- Trump isnt the dictator: Wisconsin GOP inches away from Trump - POLITICO - June 28th, 2021
- Lets run Selective Service up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes - The Boston Globe - June 28th, 2021
- The Life And Career Of Ron Johnson (Complete Story) - Browns Nation - June 28th, 2021
- Rease and Keshequa made winning a habit - pickinsplinters.com - June 28th, 2021
- Ron Paul: Let Bitcoin Compete With the Dollar - Yahoo Finance - June 4th, 2021
- Former congressman Ron Paul: Bitcoin is money and should be taxed the same - Cointelegraph - June 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin 2021 conference: Speaker line-up and what to expect... - The US Sun - June 4th, 2021
- Ron Johnson is still weighing whether to run for a third senate term next year, but says he's 'panicked' for the nation - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - June 4th, 2021
- Sen. Rick Scott Doubles Down on Call for Congressional Investigation into the Origins of COVID-19 | SENATOR RICK SCOTT - Senator Rick Scott - June 4th, 2021
- Ron Onesti: "Have I told you " - Chicago Daily Herald - June 4th, 2021
- University of Michigan to retain name on Weiser Hall, president says - MLive.com - June 4th, 2021
- Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals start OTAs, Kyler Murray leading the way, Cardinals sign new punter, PFFs - Revenge of the Birds - June 4th, 2021
- Will The Bitcoin Miami Conference Be A Catalyst For Recovery? - bitcoinist.com - June 4th, 2021
- Entertainment Leaders Call on Celebrities and Influencers to Stop Spreading Misinformation about Israeli-Palestinian Conflict - PRNewswire - May 18th, 2021
- Last Call for 5.17.21 A prime-time read of what's going down in Florida politics - Florida Politics - May 18th, 2021
- Election filing week kicks off with a few surprises - The Columbian - May 18th, 2021
- Paul Bettany Answers Every Question We Have About A Knights Tale - Vulture - May 16th, 2021
- Utica man producing film about the history of radio - The Oakland Press - May 16th, 2021
- Gov. DeSantis appoints three to the Southwest Florida Water Management District Governing Board - Florida Politics - May 16th, 2021
- Twin Cities' biggest film fest includes 'Claw,' hits from around the world - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 16th, 2021
- Max McLaughlin wins first super feature as Tyler Thompson runs out of fuel in Oswego - syracuse.com - May 16th, 2021
- Remember to say thank you before it is too late - The Daily Times - May 16th, 2021
- St. David and Benson win Baseball Championships - All Sports Tucson - May 16th, 2021
- Rand Paul clashes with Fauci over coronavirus origins | TheHill - The Hill - May 14th, 2021
- Twin Cities playwright and critic William Randall Beard dies at 64 - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Joy calls Tucker Carlson and Ron Johnson are the absolute worst for spreading COVID disinformation - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Animated Movies, According to Critics - Newsweek - May 9th, 2021
- St. Paul man who helped burn down Third Precinct sentenced to prison and $12 million restitution - MinnPost - May 9th, 2021
- Willmar Stingers: Gardy set to appear in Willmar - West Central Tribune - May 9th, 2021
- Ron Bumblefoot Thal: Every time I do an acoustic version of something, I realize how beautiful the song is at its core - Guitar World - May 9th, 2021
- God rejoices in the truth | Religion | gettysburgtimes.com - Gettysburg Times - April 25th, 2021
- Do donors have too much influence over universities? - University World News - April 25th, 2021
- Five States Where Republicans Are Trying to Block Marijuana Legalization - CelebStoner - April 25th, 2021
- Here's Brunch, a pop-up, weekend email during the 2021 Legislative Session 4.25.21 - Florida Politics - April 25th, 2021
- Fredrick Brennan Is the Founder of 8chan. Now He Wants to Take It Offline. - Jacobin magazine - April 21st, 2021
- Party Politics: The Politics of Scandal - Houston Public Media - April 19th, 2021
- Ron Price's coaching longevity will be tough to eclipse - Los Angeles Times - April 19th, 2021
- Rekha Basu: I've had a vaccine 'passport' since childhood. What's all the fuss about? - desmoinesregister.com - April 19th, 2021
- How to improve policing in Florida and beyond | Letters - Tampa Bay Times - April 19th, 2021
- Winter's return, threat of new health restrictions tough blows for businesses - Winnipeg Free Press - April 19th, 2021
- Stephen Colbert Goes Off On Ron Paul Wearing 'Daisy Dukes' Shorts In Interview - HuffPost - April 15th, 2021
- Can You Get a 'Vaccine Passport'? And Other Questions, Answered - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- The Lessons of the Afghan War - National Review - April 15th, 2021
- Trump's early endorsements reveal GOP rift | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- This Florida Man may lead the GOP out of the wilderness | Column - Tampa Bay Times - April 15th, 2021
- Ron Paul: Why Is Biden Administration Pushing Ukraine To Attack Russia? OpEd - Eurasia Review - April 6th, 2021
- Ron Paul Warns of Government Crackdown on Bitcoin 'The Government Is the Threat' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 6th, 2021
- "The government is the threat" says Ron Paul on Bitcoin - Techstory - April 6th, 2021
- Ron Paul: The government is the threat against Bitcoin Explica .co - Explica - April 6th, 2021
- Kane Honored With Senate Joint Resolution For His WWE Hall Of Fame Induction - Wrestling Inc. - April 6th, 2021
- MSU inducts Thigpen, Gregory, DuBose into Ron Polk Ring of Honor - The Dispatch - The Commercial Dispatch - April 6th, 2021