Austin Dillon snapped a long winless streak when he won at Texas Motor Speedway last Sunday, and a statement win it was. (Photos courtesy of NASCAR)
By John Sturbin | Senior WriterRacinToday.com
FORT WORTH, Texas Austin Dillon did his pop-pop proud, and zinged his critics, after leading a 1-2 sweep for Richard Childress Racing in Sundays 24th annual OReilly Auto Parts 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.
The 30-year-old grandson of team-owner/NASCAR Hall of Famer Childress, Dillon withstood three restarts in the latter stages of the 334-lap NASCAR Cup Series race while battling rookie teammate Tyler Reddick and Cup champions Joey Logano of Team Penske and Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing.
Not bad for a silver-spoon kid, right? Ill take that, said Dillon, a sarcastic reference to a label put on him by Kevin Harvick during his tenure at RCR. Tyler Reddick, he raced me clean. 1-2 for RCR _ this has been coming. Weve had good cars all year (thanks to crew chief) Justin Alexander and my whole crew.
Dillons third career Cup victory snapped an 88-race winless streak and returned the No. 3 Chevrolet made famous by seven-time series champion Dale Earnhardt (six at RCR) to Victory Lane.
Way to go Austin, Im so proud of you, Childress said over Dillons in-car radio during his cool-down lap around TMS high-banked/1.5-mile oval. Dillons margin of victory over Reddick, a two-time Xfinity Series champion, was 0.149-seconds.
Dillons Cup resume includes victories in two of NASCARs premier events _ his first win in the Coca-Cola 600, NASCARs longest race, at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 2017 and the 2018 Daytona 500, NASCARs season-opening Super Bowl at Daytona International Speedway. Dillon also has nine career wins in the Xfinity Series and seven career wins in the Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series. He is the 2011 Truck Series champion and the 2013 Xfinity Series champ.
Still, the first words out of his mouth post-race were directed at his so-called haters.
The Cup field took the green flag in front of actual live fans at TMS last weekend. How many fans? It didnt matter, TMS officials said.
Its OK, man.Sports are sports, Dillon said. You got to have someone you dont like.Maybe its just my background, where I come from.But I got a lot of people that love me, too.It doesnt bother me at all really.They can either get on the bandwagon and love meits OK.Its part of sports.Haters are going to hate sometimes, but well be all right.
Austin and younger brother Ty, the sons of RCR General Manager/former journeyman driver Mike Dillon, are the backbone of Childress family-oriented team based in Welcome, N.C. Childress, whose old-school/hardscrabble background was a perfect business match with Earnhardt, has no problem defending family.
You know, I think you get in the No. 3 car behind Dale Earnhardt, people think your granddaddy gave you this, said Childress, a 2017 NASCAR HOF inductee. He earned it no different than Ty Dillon.They had to earn their right to drive their cars.I think that may be a little bit of it.
We didnt give Austin the cars he needed (last year). Chevy has really worked hard and put together a great car for us.
Ill never forget 98 when Dale Earnhardt came and said, I want to retire, its me. I said, No, it isnt, Dale.We havent given you the cars.^ Cap E famously went on to win the 1998 Daytona 500 to kick-off NASCARs 50th anniversary season.
Dillon took the lead from Reddick for the first time on a restart on Lap 312 following the eighth caution on Lap 308. Alexander decided to take only left side tires and fuel during that stop.
What a call by Justin, Dillon said. Lefts had freed my car up all day.I was tight.When we put the lefts on, it was the call we needed to go on and win the race. I mean, Justins done a great job all year of putting us in good positions when it comes to track position.All three of my Cup wins are with Justin.Love the guy.I cant thank him enough for everything hes done for me and my family. Hes been putting great products out there.
He deals with me.Im not the easiest individual in the world to deal with.I can get cranky from time to time.Its just because Im passionate and Im a grinder.I feel like I can go out there and compete week and week out with these guys. This was a huge win for our company, RCR, ECR, everybody that supports us.It was really cool. It was nice to also have the ball in my court, to dictate the end of the race.
Caution No. 9 flew on Lap 320 and No. 10 was waved on Lap 330. The RCR teammates held serve on the final restart on Lap 332 as former series champions Logano and Busch squabbled for third with the former rounding out the podium.
Yeah, I had to change it up a couple of times, said Dillon, driver of the No. 3 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Off Road Camaro ZL1 1LE. Definitely had to earn it. I changed it up. I waited the second one and I went on the last one. So, it worked out for me good.
Dillon led twice for a total of 22 laps, including the last 10. Reddick also led twice, for five laps. Dillon and Reddick, 24, gave RCR its first 1-2 Cup finish since Clint Bowyer and Jeff Burton placed 1-2 at Talladega Superspeedway in 2011 for the organizations 109th win.
What a great day for Richard Childress Racing, said Reddick, driver of the No. 8 Cat Oil & Gas Camaro overseen by crew chief Randall Burnett. This organization is working so hard and to have a 1-2 finish like we did is incredible. We really couldnt ask for much more than what we got today. One spot better would have been great, but the recovery this team made today was huge. Were racing for the big picture of making the Playoffs, so we have to race smart. Days like this will help us get there.
Reddick is 17th in points, 12 behind William Byron and the No. 24 Axalta Chevy fielded by Hendrick Motorsports for the 16th and final Playoff qualifying position with eight regular season events remaining.
Sundays victory secured Dillon a spot in NASCARs 10-race postseason Playoffs that includes the AAA Texas 500 weekend here Oct. 24-25.
Next up on a Cup schedule revised because of the COVID-19 pandemic is Thursday nights Super Start Batteries 400 Presented by OReilly Auto Parts at the 1.5-mile Kansas Speedway. NBC Sports Network will televise the 267-lapper at 7:30 p.m. (EDT) with radio coverage on MRN and SiriusXM Channel 90.
There has been no practice or qualifying in NASCARs three national touring series since the sports return at Darlington Raceway on May 17. On Wednesday, NASCAR announced the remainder of the 2020 season will continue to operate under that procedure.
The current format has worked well in addressing several challenges during our return to racing, Scott Miller, NASCAR Senior VP, Competition, said in a statement. Most importantly, we have seen competitive racing week-to-week. NASCAR will adjust the starting lineup draw procedure for the Playoff races and will announce the new process at a later date. Miller said this decision was made after discussions with our race teams and the broader industry, certainly including NBC Sports Group.
Dillon was treated for dehydration post-race via a couple IVs in the TMS infield care center. He and his peers battled extreme temperatures during the 501-miler that included a red flag stoppage of 11 minutes, 29 seconds after a grinding, 12-car crash along the front stretch on Lap 220. Ambient temperatures reached 96 degrees with a sauna-like heat index of 102-105 inside the cockpit.
That didnt deter Logano and Busch from pressing the RCR teammates down the stretch. Logano, the 2018 Cup champion, finished third in his No. 22 Shell Pennzoil Ford Mustang. Busch, the two-time/reigning Cup champ, finished fourth in the No. 18 Interstate Batteries Toyota Camry.
Harvick, the series point leader and winner of four races this season, placed fifth in the No. 4 Mobil 1 Ford fielded by Stewart-Haas Racing. Harvick exited Texas with a 91-point lead over Ryan Blaney of Team Penske. Blaney won the first two stages and led a race-high 150 laps in his No. 12 Menards/Maytag Ford en route to a seventh-place finish.
Sundays race was the first major sporting event conducted in Texas with fans in attendance since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March, when this race originally was booked. Under guidelines issued by Gov. Greg Abbott, TMS was allowed to accommodate up to 50 percent of its listed capacity of 135,000, including suites.
TMS President/General Manager Eddie Gossage continued to be coy when asked to provide a crowd estimate Sunday. But during an in-race interview in the Press Box, Gossage said he would not be offended if the crowd count was listed somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000.
These are the folks that want to be here, said Gossage, wearing a face mask. We never were trying to set an attendance record. I told yall (media) that youre going to turn on the TV and go, Nobodys there! And the truth is theres a pretty good number here. But still, its a massive place. I was downstairs when they opened the gates and everybody seemed happy and everybody had masks on and was distancing.
Dillon parked the nose of his Camaro against the front stretch wall near the starters stand and celebrated with an extended burnout directed at the fans. Felt really good.I think it would have been awkward without them, Dillon said. Thats why I parked it right in front of them and let them smell that smoke, the burnt rubber.Everything I did was for those fans.I think they loved it.
I also gave the (checkered) flag away to a little kid.He had a Kyle Busch shirt on.I told him he needed to get a new shirt.Hopefully, I transferred him over.
Read the original here:
- Tyto Athene, LLC Awarded $11.6M for United States Air Force Global Sustainment Task Orders for TMS, CTS and Enhanced 9-1-1 - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Molecular Signatures of the Aging Process in Mice Revealed - Technology Networks - April 15th, 2021
- How to treat anxiety without medication: 8 natural remedies - Medical News Today - April 15th, 2021
- Elite Transit Solutions Announces Aggressive Growth: Opens New Chicago and Charlotte Locations and Begins Hiring 200+ Employees - PR Web - April 15th, 2021
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 15th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: and Greenbrook Tms (GBNH) - Smarter Analyst - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 (Based on COVID-19 Impact... - April 11th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- MAG & More,... - April 11th, 2021
- Maven Machines Integrates with McLeod Software to Improve Fleet and Driver Workflow - DC Velocity - April 11th, 2021
- Another Win for Health Insurers, a Big Loss for this Patient - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - April 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation and Logistics Software Market Status Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027 with key player- TMW, 3G tms, AFS Transportation... - April 11th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: Many Depression Sufferers Have Tried Everything. It's Time To Try Nexstim TMS Therapy. -... - April 6th, 2021
- TMS Treatment for Autism: What is it and Does it Work? - Autism Parenting Magazine - April 6th, 2021
- Repetitive TMS demonstrates ability to reduce suicidal thoughts and behaviours - NeuroNews International - April 6th, 2021
- Can Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Rise to the Top of Healthcare Sector Monday? - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Yiruide Neurosoft Neuronetics KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Just Reported Full-Year Earnings And Analysts Are Lifting Their Estimates - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Drivers concerned by prospect of no-go zone at Texas - RACER - April 6th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021- Top Fastest Growing Segments and Emerging Opportunities The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - April 6th, 2021
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Is Higher By 13.81% Before the Open Wednesday - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Greenbrook TMS Inc. (TSE:GTMS)? - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Research on Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2025 -... - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Worth $126.7 Million by 2026 and Forecasted to Grow at CAGR 0.093% from 2020 to 2030 Comprehensive... - April 6th, 2021
- Global oll Management System(TMS) Market Outlook, Industry Analysis and Prospect 2020 - The Bisouv Network - April 6th, 2021
- Reflecting film Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 |NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021: Products/Services, Organizations, Industry Viewpoint Analysis & Breakthroughs Forecast by 2026 The... - April 6th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Solution Market Size, Share, Trend, Growth Analysis, COVID-19 Impact, Forecast 2021-2027 | Oracle, SAP,... - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2026 - AlgosOnline - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Oracle, Finastra, Salmon Software... - April 6th, 2021
- Active Recovery TMS opens sixth clinic in the Vancouver area | ClarkCountyToday.com - clarkcountytoday.com - March 31st, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) Stock Jumps 18.8%: Will It Continue to Soar? - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Ineffective for People with Bipolar Disorder - James Moore - March 31st, 2021
- New Efficacy Data on Theta Burst TMS for Bipolar Depression - Medscape - March 31st, 2021
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: Helping Those Who Suffer in Silence - Psychiatry Advisor - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis-... - March 31st, 2021
- Where Will Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Go Next After It Is Higher By 19.44% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - March 31st, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market explored in the latest research report by Read Market Research- Cornerstone Ondemand, IBM, Lumesse and Others... - March 31st, 2021
- MagVenture introduces new solution to improve the ease of use for non-invasive brain stimulation - PRNewswire - March 21st, 2021
- Greenbrook to Commence Trading on NASDAQ - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Axele Executive Named to SDCE 2021 Pros to Know - GlobeNewswire - March 21st, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers Of America In Coral Springs: Do You Have Obsessive Compulsive Behaviors And Thoughts? - TAPinto.net - March 21st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021: Applications, Types and Growing Trends in Market, Gross Margin and Market Share 2027 - Cabell... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Talent Management Software (TMS) Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2026 : Cornerstone... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 21st, 2021
- C.H. Robinson's Freightview Technology Platform Named Compatible Solution of the Year by FedEx - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market worth $4330.8 million by 2026 and projected to rise at CAGR 14.5% from 2020 to 2030 Exclusive Report... - March 21st, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 Industry Insights, Drivers, Top Trends, Global Analysis And Forecast to 2027 - The Courier - March 21st, 2021
- State-of-the art depression clinic opening at local Wellness Centre - Portadown Times - March 21st, 2021
- How to prevent psychosocial risks and the potential liability of the employer with the increase of remote work linked to Covid-19? - Lexology - March 21st, 2021
- Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Expected to Witness High Growth over the Forecast 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 21st, 2021
- Unique X & Copine to deploy Advertising Accord in Switzerland - DCinemaToday - March 21st, 2021
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - March 11th, 2021
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - March 11th, 2021
- Gebrder Weiss Goes Live with 3Gtms and CargoWise Integration for International and Domestic Transportation Management - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Connecting the Supply Chain One TMS at a Time - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market worth $126.7 million by 2026 and projected to rise at CAGR 9.3% from 2020 to 2030 Exclusive Report by... - March 11th, 2021
- Axele Webinar: How Small and Midsized Carriers Can Harness the Power of Data - GlobeNewswire - March 11th, 2021
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market aspects that require the complete knowledge by: Webfleet Solutions, Masternaut, Microlise, Transics,... - March 11th, 2021
- The Forgotten Story of the First Toyota Sold in the U.S., the Toyopet Crown - autoevolution - March 11th, 2021
- BrainsWay to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results on March 25, 2021 - GuruFocus.com - March 11th, 2021
- XTM CEO Bob Willans on Raising Capital and the Future of Translation Pricing - Slator - March 11th, 2021
- Trade finance technology: New funding to help BuyCo link TMS with trade finance - JOC.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Reimagining the TMS for the age of e-commerce - DC Velocity - February 22nd, 2021
- Extreme weather postpones season opening TMS Dirt Track event - Speedway Digest - February 22nd, 2021
- Research Moz Releases New Report on the TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021-2030 NY Market Reports - NY Market Reports - February 22nd, 2021
- Real-time Truckload Rates from Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW) Available to More than 25,000 Shippers in Kuebix - PRNewswire - February 22nd, 2021
- Jujutsu Kaisen Chat With Ray Chase, Voice of Sukuna - The Mary Sue - February 22nd, 2021
- Emerging Neuromodulation Technologies Enabling Growth Opportunities in Mental Health Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Analysis Of Trends, Demand And Competition 2021-2026 | Neuronetics, Yiruide, Brainsway, Neurosoft,... - February 22nd, 2021
- Small Fleets Drive EKA Cloud-Based TMS Growth - Heavy Duty Trucking - February 12th, 2021
- DAT and Axele Announce Partnership to Expand Load Board and TMS Integration - SupplyChainBrain - February 12th, 2021
- Hodge enjoys showing TMS students how history connects to their lives - The Thomasville Times - February 12th, 2021
- Denton County cancels Thursdays vaccination clinic at Texas Motor Speedway due to weather - The Dallas Morning News - February 12th, 2021
- Covid-19 impact on High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) Treatment Market Key Vendors, Regional Analysis and Competitive Landscape Forecast by... - February 12th, 2021
- Birds of Prey Director Cathy Yan on Her Debut Film Dead Pigs - The Mary Sue - February 12th, 2021
- Real-time pricing vs. spot pricing: Whats the difference? - FreightWaves - February 12th, 2021
- Significant' High Court backing for adjudication in construction - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - February 12th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Analysis, Industry Size, Share Leaders, Current Status by Major vendors and Trends by Forecast to... - February 12th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America In Coral Springs Offers Breakthrough Treatment Of Depression, Anxiety, and Other Disorders - TAPinto.net - February 6th, 2021