The scaly-foot snail is one of Earths strangest creatures. It lives more than 2,300 metres below the surface of the sea on a trio of deep-sea hydrothermal vents at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. Here it has evolved a remarkable form of protection against the crushing, grim conditions found at these Stygian depths. It grows a shell made of iron.
Discovered in 1999, the multi-layered iron sulphide armour of Chrysomallon squamiferum which measures a few centimetres in diameter has already attracted the interest of the US defence department, whose scientists are now studying its genes in a bid to discover how it grows its own metal armour.
The researchers will have to move quickly, however, for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature has just added the snail to its list of threatened species. German and Chinese industrial groups have revealed plans to explore the seabed around two of the three vents that provide homes for scaly-foot snails. Should they proceed, and mine the seabeds veins of metals and minerals, a large chunk of the snails home base will be destroyed and the existence of this remarkable little creature will be threatened.
On land, we are already exploiting mineral resources to the full, says Jean-Baptiste Jouffray, of Stockholm University. At the same time, the need for rare elements and metals is becoming increasingly important to supply green technologies such as wind and solar power plants.
And so industrialists are looking to the seabed where it is now technologically and economically feasible to mine for minerals. Hence the arrival of threats to creatures like the scaly-foot snail.
Jouffray is the lead author of an analysis, published last week in the journal One Earth, which involved synthesising 50 years of data from shipping, drilling, aquaculture, and other marine industries and which paints an alarming picture of the impact of future exploitation of the oceans.
This threat comes not just from seabed mining which is set to expand dramatically in coming years but from fish farming, desalination plant construction, shipping, submarine cable laying, cruise tourism and the building of offshore wind farms.
This is blue acceleration, the term that is used by Jouffray and his co-authors to describe the recent rapid rise in marine industrialisation, a trend that has brought increasing ocean acidification, marine heating, coral reef destruction, and plastic pollution in its wake. As they state in their paper: From the shoreline to the deep sea, the blue acceleration is already having major social and ecological consequences.
Another illustration of blue acceleration is provided by seabed grabbing, state the authors. Article 76 of the UN convention on the law of the sea (UNCLOS) allows countries to claim seabed that lies beyond the 200 miles of a nations exclusive economic zone. Since the first claim under Article 76 was made in 2001, 83 countries have made submissions. Put together, these claims account for more than 37 million sq km of seabed, an area more than twice the size of Russia.
Many seabed grabbers include small island states that are trying to become large ocean states in the process. For example, the Cook islands in the South Pacific has claimed an area of seabed that is 1,700 times its land surface. The extension of the continental shelf is therefore not only transforming the geopoltical landscape, it is also substantially shrinking the area designated as the common heritage of humankind, states the report.
Examples of the conflicts that could ensue because of the blue acceleration include the disruption of key fish stocks by drilling for gas or oil offshore; pipelines that prevent trawl fishing; and offshore wind farms that disturb tourism.
Norway provides a stark demonstration of likely future conflicts. It aims to bring about fivefold rises both in salmon farming and cruise tourism in its waters over coming years while also building more and more offshore wind farms and more and more offshore gas and oil platforms. Seabed mining for minerals is also scheduled to begin. This saturation of ocean space renders Norwegian waters as being highly vulnerable to shocks, states the report.
The South China Sea is another potential flashpoint. It is a key gateway in the regions network of undersea telecommunication cables; a third of the worlds shipping passes through it; while half the worlds fishing boats operate in its waters which are disputed variously by China, Malaysia, Vietnam and others. Should armed conflict break out here over any of these issues, there would be a far-reaching impact on the worlds economy.
The relevance of the ocean for humanitys future is undisputed, states the report. However, addressing the diversity of claims, their impacts and their interactions, will require effective governance.
To achieve this, the authors call for greater accountability to be imposed on those financing the fundamental changes that are now being made to Earths oceans. These include both banks and governments.
In addition, the vulnerability of small island states needs to be addressed, it adds: Navigating the blue acceleration in a just and sustainable way requires particular emphasis on the implications of increased ocean use across the globe and how these claims could have an impact on the economic safety and wellbeing of vulnerable communities and social groups.
Here is the original post:
- Life extension health, rejuvenation and longevity - The Business Times - January 19th, 2021
- Divine Flavor adopts StePac' modified atmosphere standing pouches for extending produce shelf life in the retail sector - PRNewswire - January 19th, 2021
- miRagen Therapeutics Announces Company Name Change to Viridian Therapeutics and New Executive Appointments, Including Expansion of Leadership Team -... - January 19th, 2021
- Specialized Pro-Resolving Mediators (SPMs) Shown to Resolve Inflammation and Improve Infection Clearance - GlobeNewswire - January 19th, 2021
- On The Roof With...Green Roof Performance Expert Kirstin Weeks - Living Architecture Monitor magazine - January 19th, 2021
- True love, untimely death and robotics - Belfast Telegraph - January 19th, 2021
- Couer Mining subsidiary awards $30m contract to SNC-Lavalin | Supply Chain & Operations - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - January 19th, 2021
- Vaccines and Ventilators: Need, Outcome or a Right to a Fair Go? - Practical Ethics - January 19th, 2021
- Whitehead Named Coordinator for International and Honors Programs in Bumpers College - University of Arkansas Newswire - January 19th, 2021
- Metrion Biosciences and LifeArc Further Extend Neuroscience-focused Ion Channel Drug Discovery Collaboration - BioSpace - January 19th, 2021
- Government to Cut Coal-fired and Nuclear Power Generation - BusinessKorea - December 29th, 2020
- Antibody study aims to protect those exposed to coronavirus from illness - The Jerusalem Post - December 29th, 2020
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly looking for an extension to their royal exit deal - woman&home - December 29th, 2020
- Five Persistent Misconceptions About Modernizing The US ICBM Force - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- '20by2020' improves lives of thousands of fishermen and their families in Indonesia - Indonesia - ReliefWeb - December 29th, 2020
- Open Orphan wins vaccine contract extension and announces toxicology study completion - Value The Markets - December 29th, 2020
- Cryonics, brain preservation and the weird science of cheating death - CNET - July 6th, 2020
- Nano One update: progress on battery technology - The Armchair Trader - July 6th, 2020
- Highland Copper Announces Further Extension of White Pine Closing - GlobeNewswire - July 6th, 2020
- Registry is an arm of the Court and an extension of its dignity, says SC - The Leaflet - July 6th, 2020
- Hacking the Apocalypse: Your new guide to surviving the end of the world - MSN Money - July 6th, 2020
- How to get rid of fruit flies in your house | AgriLife Today - AgriLife Today - July 6th, 2020
- 'Life in the old dog yet': Hackney Law Centre thanks donors as it celebrates 40th anniversary - Hackney Citizen - July 6th, 2020
- David and Victoria Beckham plan garden extension with 91 metre lake at their Great Tew home - Banbury Guardian - July 6th, 2020
- Controlled Intelligent Packaging, Preservation and Shelf-Life Extension Market 2020 | by Manufacturers | by Countries | by Types and by Applications |... - July 5th, 2020
- Extension offers online session to help ag producers and others manage stress - Nevada Today - July 5th, 2020
- North America Blueberry Extract Market is expected to expand at the highest CAGR By 2027 | Top Business Players: Life Extension, Mazza Innovation,... - July 5th, 2020
- Kitchens Across America Trust Eat Cleaner Fruit + Veggie Wash, Available This July in New Value Size to Give People Kitchen Confidence | 2020-07-02 |... - July 5th, 2020
- Bruce Power partners give thousands to local charities - BlackburnNews.com - July 5th, 2020
- Antioxidant Supplement, Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|Vibrant Health, AST... - July 5th, 2020
- New Survey Reveals 74 Percent of Americans are Concerned that Vitamins and Supplements are not Backed by Trustworthy Research - PRNewswire - June 13th, 2020
- Maintaining health and nutrition while staying at home - WSAW - June 13th, 2020
- Why a decision on a second US plutonium-pit-production factory should be delayed - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - June 13th, 2020
- The Role Of Nuclear Power In A Clean Energy System - Seeking Alpha - June 13th, 2020
- Six months to break the deadlock on life after Brexit - The Advocate - June 13th, 2020
- Nukes in Space: the Extinction Rebellion Yet to Be - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - June 13th, 2020
- Further extension to mother-and-baby homes inquiry - RTE.ie - June 13th, 2020
- Enel Awarded 106.3 MW in Italy in GSE's Second Auction - Saurenergy - June 5th, 2020
- Has the United States Abandoned Arms Control? - War on the Rocks - June 5th, 2020
- Aeris Resources to acquire producing gold mine from Evolution in transformational move - Proactive Investors Australia - June 5th, 2020
- Artax Biopharma Announces Series B Financing Extension to Advance First-in-Class Autoimmune Disease Therapy - P&T Community - June 5th, 2020
- Drivers granted automatic licence renewal extension - Farming Life - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Melatonine Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026 - News Distinct - June 5th, 2020
- Reishi Mushroom Supplements Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - Weekly... - June 5th, 2020
- Tuskegee one of three HBCU land-grants awarded $1.6M USDA Centers of Excellence grant - Tuskegee University - June 5th, 2020
- Eye Health Supplements Market 2020 Growth by Opportunities, Application, Driver, Current Trends and Forecast by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- The Dak Prescott extension: What have the Cowboys offered? Plus, where negotiations stand - The Dallas Morning News - June 1st, 2020
- Milk Thistle Health Tonic Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors, Consumer Behaviour Analysis, Future Trends, Key Players and Forecast... - June 1st, 2020
- Explained: What RBIs extension of loan moratorium means - The Indian Express - June 1st, 2020
- How to stop earwigs and coreopsis beetles: Ask an expert - oregonlive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Orthopedic Extension Devices Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By Industry... - June 1st, 2020
- Goldstar Insurance and Prudential partner to offer COVID -19 cover - Uganda - June 1st, 2020
- Punjab Agricultural University gives warm send-off to Bhalla - Hindustan Times - June 1st, 2020
- Wife honors husband with continuing education center - Atlanta Journal Constitution - April 11th, 2020
- Letters To the Editor | Opinion - westvalleyview.com - April 11th, 2020
- The Military's E-6 Mercury Is Far Deadlier Than The F-35 Stealth Fighter - The National Interest - April 11th, 2020
- Extend New START -- The World Can't Afford a U.S.-Russia Nuclear Arms Race Too - Just Security - April 11th, 2020
- Brandon Scherff's excited to be in Washington, looking to be Redskin for life - Redskins Wire - April 11th, 2020
- "Life Won't Be Same Ever": Odisha First To Extend Lockdown Till April 30 - NDTV News - April 11th, 2020
- Get Growing: Good news, good riddance to gypsy moth caterpillars this year - The Recorder - April 11th, 2020
- Alkane Resources regional drilling south of TGO returns further broad, high-grade gold - Proactive Investors Australia - April 11th, 2020
- He gave so much of himself to improving life in Douglas: Tributes paid to Billy Coleman - Echo Live - April 11th, 2020
- WAIVER EXTENSION, REVISED TIMING OF ENFORCEMENT - pa.gov - March 24th, 2020
- The U.S. Military's Behind-the-Scenes Moves To Protect Nuclear Readiness Amid Coronavirus - Newsweek - March 24th, 2020
- Mine life extension puts Kisladag back on the map - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- WVU aims to make an impact in everyday West Virginians' lives - WV News - February 24th, 2020
- Over the Garden Gate: Bees are native pollinators - Ellwood City Ledger - February 24th, 2020
- What is the real cost of a Richards Avenue extension? - Santa Fe New Mexican - February 24th, 2020
- New Gold updates Rainy River and New Afton mine plans - The Northern Miner - February 24th, 2020
- Responsible Battery Coalition Applauds University of Michigan Research on Lithium-Ion Battery Degradation Calls Research Important Step in Educating... - February 24th, 2020
- Bruce Power marks next step of major project collaboration with ATS in Cambridge - TheRecord.com - February 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of ELD.TO earnings conference call or presentation 21-Feb-20 4:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Senate panel agrees adding time to safe haven for babies a good step - KSL.com - February 24th, 2020
- Swine building maintenance the topic of statewide workshops - Discover Muscatine - February 24th, 2020
- Stress it is not a sign of weakness | News, Sports, Jobs - Morning Journal News - February 24th, 2020
- Arcadis working with the Georgia Department of Transportation to improve traffic congestion - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Life With GDPR: Episode 36- Extension of British Airways Response Time for Proposed Fine - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- Max Muncys extension helps the argument for new service time rules - Beyond the Box Score - February 8th, 2020
- Noah Rubin's Behind The Racquet With Robert Ryland | Tennis 10sBalls - 10sBalls - February 8th, 2020
- Satellites: The $500 billion business | Industry Trends - IBC365 - February 8th, 2020