The central unifying, overarching factor or cause is God himself.
Recently, I watched a fascinating NOVA episode entitled Einsteins Quantum Riddle. It was about advances in the area of quantum mechanics specifically, what is called quantum entanglement. Wikipedia has a long, complicated article about it. But the gist of it (which the TV special summarized for the layperson) is as follows:
Bottom line (beyond all the technical mumbo-jumbo of modern physics), is that even assuming that this phenomenon is true and a fact scientists have no explanation for how it could happen as it does. Its one of those things where the knowledge of science comes to an end: like the origin of life, the causes of the origins of the Big Bang, DNA and higher intelligence, and dark matter.
Einstein, as is well-known, had serious problems with quantum mechanics, with regard to its seemingly random and irrational nature, in relation to traditional notions of cause-and-effect. He famously stated, God doesnt play dice. Einsteins god was a pantheist one at best, but he was no atheist, and recognized that the universe had an unexplainable higher order and beauty of design that any thinking person couldnt deny. I have argued that this was a broad, bare-bones version of the classic theistic teleological (design) argument.
Science often gets to a place where it is completely baffled, but because it methodologically excludes God (which has essentially been the case since Darwin), and so often doesnt recognize its own inherent philosophical limitations (empiricism being only one form of knowledge among many), it rules out what is as plausible an explanation as anything else: God.
The most obvious example of this is Big Bang cosmology. This theory was formulated by a Catholic priest-scientist, Father Georges Lematre. It expressed in scientific detail what had already long since been present in the Bible: creatio ex nihilo (creation from nothing).
The theory of evolution runs into the same insuperable difficulties when it comes to describing exact sequences and causes for evolutionary change: especially across large gaps, such as the origins of life and DNA and of large classification groups to other ones. Its entirely possible as a method that God used to create (theistic evolution), but without the inclusion of God, science cannot explain many key aspects of it.
Intelligent design advocate and scientist Dr. Michael Behe believes that intelligent design doesnt necessarily require additional intervention by God after His initial act of creation.
All Christians, it seems to me, have to believe that (1) God created (Genesis, etc.), and (2) he in some sense sustains or upholds his creation.
Its a belief in a non-material or immaterial force or power or spirit, that profoundly influences the material universe and its creative processes, and which itself seems ultimately beyond purely scientific or empirical analysis.
In this view, of intelligent design and/or theistic evolution, God designed or foreordained that complex structures would evolve, and life and consciousness, etc., by some unknown non-material, overarching, guiding principle that transcends science, or concerning which science (presently) can give us no clues or answers.
He not only created scientific laws that work essentially on their own (hence can be observed and studied scientifically), but also supervises or ordains the entire project though not in an interventionist or supernatural/miraculous way. The processes and potentialities were there from the beginning, as a manifestation of his omnipotence and omniscience. Its just that some of them are supra-scientific.
I submit that the same explanation that suggests itself with regard to the Big Bang and the unexplained mysteries of evolutionary process: the creative and upholding/omnipotent power of God, is applicable and plausible also as the explanation of how quantum entanglement is possible at all. Here are biblical passages along these lines:
This is inspired revelation from God. God either does these things: establishes, preserves, holds together, allows to endure, and upholds all of his creation (which he brought into being from nothing) or he does not. Christians if they are consistent cannot disbelieve this. And Gods power is as plausible an explanation of quantum entanglement as anything else: if only methodologically atheist science will allow him to be discussed at all.
If scientists seek the vaunted unified theory in physics, its right in front of them: the central unifying, overarching factor or cause is God himself. The Bible has taught it these past 2000 or more years. Modern science keeps indirectly verifying it, in effect, by its inability to explain origins or (as in our present example) the basis and ultimate causes of experimentally verified quantum mechanics.
- Physics - The Tiniest Superfluid Circuit in Nature - Physics - February 27th, 2021
- Can god be disproved using the laws of physics? An expert explains how it depends on perspective - Scroll.in - February 27th, 2021
- How philosophy blends physics with the idea of free will - Big Think - February 27th, 2021
- Exclusive! Ashwin Sanghi on his dream to cast Sushant Singh Rajput in 'Keepers Of The Kalachakra' series: He was like an excited child when it came to... - February 27th, 2021
- SD Times Open-Source Project of the Week: PennyLane - SDTimes.com - February 27th, 2021
- Google Teams With D-Wave in Massive Quantum Computing Leap, Cracking Simulation Problem - The Daily Hodl - February 27th, 2021
- Tech Talk: Universe or multiverse? | Free - Ashland Daily Press - February 27th, 2021
- Physicists Show a Speed Limit Also Applies in the Quantum World - SciTechDaily - February 25th, 2021
- Can the laws of Physics help settle the debate over the existence of God? - Firstpost - February 25th, 2021
- OU appoints three to rank of Distinguished Professor - 2021 - Office of the Provost - News - OU Magazine - News at OU - February 25th, 2021
- Mid-Atlantic Quantum Alliance Expands Impact and Reach with Addition of 10 New Partners - PR Web - February 25th, 2021
- Everything you need to know about quantum physics (almost ... - February 22nd, 2021
- Quantum mechanics - Wikipedia - February 22nd, 2021
- Six Things Everyone Should Know About Quantum Physics - February 22nd, 2021
- A new Approach Could Tease out the Connection Between Gravity and Quantum Mechanics - Universe Today - February 22nd, 2021
- And So It Begins Quantum Physicists Create a New Universe With Its Own Rules - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - February 22nd, 2021
- IBM adds 10 historically Black colleges and universities to quantum computing center - TechRepublic - February 22nd, 2021
- Physicists Need to Be More Careful with How They Name Things - Scientific American - February 22nd, 2021
- Can the laws of physics disprove God? - The Conversation UK - February 22nd, 2021
- Planet Earth Report The Quantum Century to Events That Could Have Ended Humanity - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - February 22nd, 2021
- A New Measurement of Quantum Space-Time Has Found Nothing Going On - ScienceAlert - February 22nd, 2021
- With a $50,000 Grant, Black Quantum Futurism Will Continue to Disrupt Space and Time - GalleristNY - February 22nd, 2021
- Gravity May Play a Tiny But Important Role in The Microworld of Particle Physics - ScienceAlert - February 22nd, 2021
- IBM Adds Future Developer And Software Details To Its Quantum Roadmap - Forbes - February 22nd, 2021
- Physics - A Superconducting Qubit that Protects Itself - Physics - February 22nd, 2021
- Black Quantum Futurism receives the Knight Foundations new art and technology fellowship - WHYY - February 22nd, 2021
- What science tells us about the quantum origin of the universe - Sunday Vision - February 22nd, 2021
- Quantum Mechanics, Free Will and the Game of Life - Scientific American - February 14th, 2021
- Quantum Theory Proposes That Cause and Effect Can Go In Loops - Universe Today - February 14th, 2021
- The search for dark matter gets a speed boost from quantum technology - The Conversation US - February 14th, 2021
- Microsofts Big Win in Quantum Computing Was an Error After All - WIRED - February 14th, 2021
- Kangaroo Court: Quantum Computing Thinking on the Future - JD Supra - February 14th, 2021
- New EU Consortium shaping the future of Quantum Computing USA - PRNewswire - February 14th, 2021
- 2020 Quantum Communications in Space Research Report: Quantum Communications are Expected to Solve the Problem of Secure communications First on... - February 14th, 2021
- Mutually unbiased bases and symmetric informationally complete measurements in Bell experiments - Science Advances - February 14th, 2021
- Yale Quantum Institute Co-sponsored Event - Alternative Realities for the Living - Quantum Physics & Fiction - Yale News - February 14th, 2021
- Dont Tell Einstein, but Black Holes Might Have Hair - WIRED - February 14th, 2021
- A Magnetic Twist to Graphene Could Offer a Dramatic Increase in Processing Speeds Compared to Electronics - SciTechDaily - February 14th, 2021
- The Interplay between Quantum Theory And Artificial Intelligence - Analytics India Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- In Violation of Einstein, Black Holes Might Have 'Hair' - Quanta Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Dr. William Audeh - The Gazette - February 10th, 2021
- Quantum Physics | Rakuten Viki - February 6th, 2021
- Switching Nanolight On and Off | Columbia News - Columbia University - February 6th, 2021
- Scientists narrow down the 'weight' of dark matter trillions of trillions of times - Livescience.com - February 6th, 2021
- The Super Bowl: What is time? - SB Nation - February 6th, 2021
- 'Friends' Star Matthew Perry Dated Julia Roberts By Wooing Her With Quantum Physics and Funny Jokes - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 6th, 2021
- A world-first method to enable quantum optical circuits that use photons - Tech Explorist - February 6th, 2021
- Quantum Physics Story Helgoland to Be Adapted by Fremantles The Apartment, CAM Film (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- Quantum physics and romance collide in the streaming production of Constellations - Chicago Reader - February 2nd, 2021
- 'A Glitch in the Matrix' Director Was Skeptical About Simulation Theory Until He Started Doing Research - IndieWire - February 2nd, 2021
- Record-Breaking Source for Single Photons Developed That Can Produce Billions of Quantum Particles per Second - SciTechDaily - February 2nd, 2021
- Can public clouds fix the developer experience in the HPC domain? - Forbes - February 2nd, 2021
- 29 Scientists Came Together in the "Most Intelligent Photo" Ever Taken - My Modern Met - February 2nd, 2021
- Silence your stoner friends with this video of a room entirely constructed out of mirrors - The A.V. Club - February 2nd, 2021
- Valuable contributor to society - The Tribune India - February 2nd, 2021
- Copperizing the Complexity of Superconductivity - Newswise - February 2nd, 2021
- A Zoom with a view: Wintersession offers a virtual journey from the kitchen to Hollywood - Princeton University - February 2nd, 2021
- IBMs top executive says, quantum computers will never reign supreme over classical ones - The Hindu - January 29th, 2021
- How quantum is it? U of T physicist Aaron Goldberg may have the answer - News@UofT - January 29th, 2021
- Wormholes May Be Lurking in the Universe Here Are Proposed Ways of Finding Them - SciTechDaily - January 29th, 2021
- The Convergence of Internet of Things and Quantum Computing - BBN Times - January 29th, 2021
- Who You Really Are And Why It Matters | Practical Ethics - Practical Ethics - January 29th, 2021
- The relativity principle of physics in technology - The National - January 29th, 2021
- If Wormholes Are Lurking in Our Universe, This Is How We Could Find Them - ScienceAlert - January 17th, 2021
- New quantum particle may have been accidentally discovered - New Atlas - January 13th, 2021
- Exploring the unanswered questions of our universe with quantum technologies - University of Birmingham - January 13th, 2021
- Wormholes may be lurking in the universe and new studies are proposing ways of finding them - The Conversation UK - January 13th, 2021
- Surprising Discovery of Unexpected Quantum Behavior in Insulators Suggests Existence of Entirely New Type of Particle - SciTechDaily - January 13th, 2021
- New quantum technology projects to solve mysteries of the universe - Open Access Government - January 13th, 2021
- University of Sheffield to lead multi-million pound project which could open up a new frontier in physics - University of Sheffield News - January 13th, 2021
- The Greatest: Four Legends Gather in One Night in Miami - Memphis Flyer - January 13th, 2021
- Raytheon UK part of team transforming the Royal Navy's technology, training and learning solutions - PRNewswire - January 13th, 2021
- Optical selection and sorting of nanoparticles according to quantum mechanical properties - Science Advances - January 13th, 2021
- Birds Have a Mysterious 'Quantum Sense'. For The First Time, Scientists Saw It in Action - ScienceAlert - January 9th, 2021
- The unhackable computers that could revolutionize the future - CNN - January 9th, 2021
- How understanding light has led to a hundred years of bright ideas - The Economist - January 9th, 2021
- Quantum Nanodevice Can Be Both a Heat Engine and Refrigerator at the Same Time - SciTechDaily - January 9th, 2021
- Illumination at the limits of knowledge - The Economist - January 9th, 2021
- Detective Work in Theoretical Physics: Comprehensive Review of Physics of Interacting Particles - SciTechDaily - January 5th, 2021
- The 10 biggest physics stories of 2020 - Livescience.com - January 5th, 2021