.......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... ..........
Illustration By Cathryn Cunningham/Albuquerque Journal
But there is one part of the house many people might forget the garage.
Its the place people usually store their seasonal items, sports equipment and yard tools. The out of sight, out of mind nature of a garage also makes it an ideal dumping ground for orphan items.
The piles starts to grow and soon finding anything, removing anything and remembering anything thats stored there becomes a challenge.
It doesnt have to be this way.
Expert Miriam Ortiz y Pino likes to keep it simple when helping people organize their homes and spaces. (Courtesy of Miriam Ortiz Y Pino)
There are tricks and tips that can make the most out of available space while creating easy access. Things can be stored on the floor, the walls and even up above. Theres some prep work that needs to happen before any shuffling, moving and storing happens.
Local decluttering expert Danae Talerico, declutterwithdanae.com, said the first step for any organizing project is the purge. She said her rule of thumb is to get rid of anything that hasnt been used in a year, excluding collectibles and sentimental items.
Local decluttering specialist Danae Talerico provides organizing tips for all parts of the home, including the garage. (Courtesy of Danae Talerico)
That means get rid of that flat football your kids havent touched in years, she said. That old rusty bike with flat tires, duplicate items, and, yes, even that grow your garden kit you swore you were going to use three summers ago.
Next its time to assess and inventory what is in the garage and figure out how much space is needed. Is the garage used for cars as well? Is there an extra freezer or refrigerator out there that needs clear access?
Determine whether all the items in your garage should live in the garage, Talerico said. Do you have a shed? Larger yard tools, lawn mowers, and snow shovels can be tucked away and free up space.
Professional organizer and More Than Organized (morethanorganized.net) business owner Miriam Ortiz y Pino said she likes to keep it simple. Easily finding and being able to get to things should take precedence over aesthetics.
Think grab and go, she said. It doesnt need to be fancy. You need some shelves and bins.
Finally comes the organizing.
Invest in shelves. Vertical storage is ideal. Those who are handy can build their own, but shelves are also a pretty common item at hardware stores. They come in various sizes and materials. Wire shelving can be hung from the walls but is best for items that are not as heavy. Floor shelves take up more space but are more sturdy.
Use bare wall space to hang items, especially gardening tools if a shed is not available. If the garage is being used to park a car, wide shelving might not be ideal on every wall. Create a mounting system using horizontal woods strips. Attach the wood strips to the wall horizontally. Install hooks and other hardware along the wood strips to hang equipment. Small shelves and pegboards can also be installed.
Buy plastic storage bins and tubs. There are several options and sizes that are affordable. Plastic is ideal for a garage environment.
Consider how dusty an item can get, Ortiz y Pino said. Also, use very little paper or cardboard in your garage because of critters and pests.
Talerico said its important to label the bins. You can use a label maker, or painters tape and a Sharpie. The tape is easy to remove and replace if the bin is used for a different item down the road.
Think in categories. When deciding where to store things, Ortiz y Pino said she likes to group things by their use. Sports equipment goes in one area, gardening in another, camping gear all together and so on. It makes it easier to locate items when a certain part of the garage is dedicated to them.
Reserve space for seasonal items. Set aside a space for holiday decor. If there is outdoor summer furniture or other items that must come in during the colder months, leave room for that as well.
Keep hazardous materials up high and in their original containers so they are out of reach of children and pets. Locking them up in a cabinet is also an option. Antifreeze and other spills of hazardous material should be immediately cleaned.
Store ladders horizontally or on hooks. Instinct might be to just lean a ladder against a wall but this can create a hazard.
Consider repurposing what you already have for storage. Jars are great for storing screws and nails. The top of the jar can be screwed onto the underside of a shelf.
Dont forget about the ceiling. Bikes can be hung from above and rafters can be used to store lighter weight, long items that arent used all the time. Those without rafters can invest in ceiling-mounted shelves.
Build a storage system for fishing rods using a pool noodle, which is inexpensive, and a 3-inch PVC pipe. Drill holes in the PVC pipe for the bottom of the rod and slice cuts into the pool noodle where the top of the rod will rest. Attach both to the wall, PVC pipe on bottom, using nails or screws.
Finally, make sure to seal and secure all doors leading to the garage to protect everything thats stored in there, including the family car. Repair broken windows, replace door sweeps and weather stripping on the garage.
Read the original here:
- FreightWaves Classics: Port of Los Angeles is the nations busiest! - FreightWaves - June 15th, 2021
- How to Witness the Rare Polar Solar Eclipse - AFAR Media - June 15th, 2021
- Boyd Expands Global Footprint With State-of-the-Art Facility in Vietnam - I-Connect007 - June 15th, 2021
- Great white sharks preparing to return to Cape Breton | Saltwire - SaltWire Network - June 15th, 2021
- Portion of Cousino Rd. to be repaved in LaSalle - Monroe Evening News - June 13th, 2021
- Flag Day 2021: New Jersey's connection to the Stars and Stripes - NorthJersey.com - June 13th, 2021
- Nothing compares to the first local luscious strawberries of the season - Farming Life - June 13th, 2021
- Boyd Corporation Expands Global Footprint With State-of-the-Art Facility in Vietnam - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Airway Heights prison guard gets 2 months for smuggling drugs inside. Prisoner who received the drugs? He got 56 months. - The Spokesman-Review - June 13th, 2021
- Seven years in prison for chief mate of cargo vessel where Philly feds found record 20 tons of cocaine - The Philadelphia Inquirer - June 13th, 2021
- J.B. Webb Bassmaster Classic will be one to remember - Sherman Denison Herald Democrat - June 13th, 2021
- Principality of Sealand - Become A Lord Or Lady With Sealand - June 2nd, 2021
- About Sealand | The Principality Of Sealand | Sealand History - June 2nd, 2021
- Antengene Announces Fifteen Clinical Studies and Results of Selinexor to be Presented at ASCO 2021 - Stockhouse - June 2nd, 2021
- Notice of Public Hearing | Legal Announcements | newsadvance.com - Lynchburg News and Advance - May 27th, 2021
- New initiative inspires coexistence with seals on Cape Cod beaches - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- How many children did Aretha Franklin have and where are they now? - Smooth Radio - May 27th, 2021
- Mollie Tibbetts case recap: 'I wouldn't harm her,' boyfriend testifies in Cristhian Bahena Rivera's trial - Des Moines Register - May 27th, 2021
- Researchers try to ID source of ghost fishing nets - Yahoo News - May 27th, 2021
- Luck of the Jewish? - The Jewish Standard - May 27th, 2021
- Plywood boards used to protect New York establishments are repurposed into captivating sculptures - Archinect - May 27th, 2021
- Seal: Heidi Klum and I have never had co-parenting teamwork - Inside NoVA - May 27th, 2021
- This Manual 1967 Mercury Cougar 289 Is Looking for a New and Caring Owner - autoevolution - May 27th, 2021
- Breathe easier and guard yourself against airborne contaminants with this KN95 respirator mask - The Straits Times - May 27th, 2021
- Behind Guam but ahead of other insular areas - Saipan Tribune - May 27th, 2021
- Maintenance on Platt Road near Ann Arbor could affect traffic - MLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- Which geological period is called the Age of Fishes? The Weekend quiz - The Guardian - May 24th, 2021
- Seal Says He and Heidi Klum Have Never Had Teamwork Coparenting Their Kids - Us Weekly - May 24th, 2021
- A grand strategy of resolute restraint - Brookings Institution - May 24th, 2021
- What you should be shredding and why - Tennessean - May 24th, 2021
- June construction could bring parking off streets and delays - Wyoming Tribune - May 24th, 2021
- USAF Ready to Move ABMS-Tech Into Operational Phase - autoevolution - May 24th, 2021
- Project updates for the Week of May 24, 2021 - Texas Department of Transportation - May 24th, 2021
- The two-state solution that envisages sovereign Palestine & Israel living side by side in peace is the only way to end their conflict, writes A L... - May 24th, 2021
- You don't have to wait for the Wisconsin State Fair to enjoy food on a stick. Try this grilled chicken souvlaki recipe. - Green Bay Press Gazette - May 24th, 2021
- Catholic high schools welcome return of in-person graduation ceremonies - Angelus News - May 24th, 2021
- From Invasion to Energy | Latest | NDWorks | University of Notre Dame - ND Newswire - May 24th, 2021
- Watch: Terrifying Deep Sea Creatures That Will Make You Stay Out Of Water - ED Times - May 24th, 2021
- Pro Gravel Racing Champ Colin Strickland Talks Training, Gear, and Moderation - GearJunkie - May 24th, 2021
- Managing the Oversupply of Ships in Ushuaia - Cruise Industry News - May 20th, 2021
- Part of 2.5m repairs grant set to be diverted to address recent flood damage at two Flintshire primary schools - Deeside.com - May 20th, 2021
- FBI warns against faking your COVID-19 vaccination card - WHIO Radio - May 9th, 2021
- Officials are urging people not to forge Covid-19 vaccine cards. Here's why it matters - WTVA - May 9th, 2021
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Celebrates Mother's Day with Mothers of the Wild - Sierra Sun Times - May 9th, 2021
- Houses buyers are 'fighting over' that are flying off the market in less than 24 hours - Liverpool Echo - May 9th, 2021
- Las Vegas to Southern California high-speed rail project is back on track - Archinect - May 9th, 2021
- Nikita Dutta on vaccination drive for all above 18: The faster the procedures, the better for everyone - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2021
- Portland Softball Splits with Red Wings - theportlandbeacon.com - May 9th, 2021
- Message in a bottle may have made its way from the Titanic to a university in Quebec - CTV News Montreal - May 9th, 2021
- Retired SEAL Jocko Willink surprises guard members, tells them to relish adversity - Stars and Stripes - May 1st, 2021
- Big cat sighting hoax exposed as creature prowling city park revealed to be Goshi - Chester Zoo's black jaguar - LeaderLive - May 1st, 2021
- 10 Top-Notch Small Kitchen Appliances on Sale that Make Perfect Mothers Day Gifts - Thrillist - May 1st, 2021
- 2021 May Municipal Elections: Election integrity starts at the local level. We have to get it right here. - KAMR - MyHighPlains.com - May 1st, 2021
- Rules of the club - Lexology - May 1st, 2021
- Here Are Some of the Rejected Arlington Logo Designs - ARLnow - May 1st, 2021
- MSC Set to Overtake Maersk as the World's Largest Container Line - The Maritime Executive - April 27th, 2021
- Marine Toilets Market Latest Innovations, Demand and Future Projections with top Major Key Player like Jabsco, Raritan Engineering, Reliance Products,... - April 27th, 2021
- Another sighting big cat in Blacon area of Chester - The Chester Standard - April 21st, 2021
- Column: Did Suez Canal Back-Up Have a N.C. Connection? - Southern Pines Pilot - April 19th, 2021
- Global Fresh and Naturally Fermented Birch Juice Market Size, Share, Value, and Competitive Landscape 2021 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 17th, 2021
- The story of the improbable micronation of Sealand - The Independent - April 15th, 2021
- Hannah Baiardi's new music comes "Straight From the Soul" - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Ants, According to Experts - HouseBeautiful.com - April 15th, 2021
- Tree House brewery seeks final licenses to open in Sandwich by summer - Cape Cod Times - April 15th, 2021
- Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns | Opinion | thereflector.com - The Reflector - April 15th, 2021
- America's majority-minority confusion | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- Some Utah parents are protesting, but here's why Utah students will likely keep their masks on until summer - Salt Lake Tribune - April 15th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein secretly indicted on rape charges by grand jury in Los Angeles - Q13 FOX (Seattle) - April 13th, 2021
- One on One: A link between a North Carolinian and the Suez Canal back-up? - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - April 13th, 2021
- Global Weatherstrip Seal Market Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast to 2026 | Cooper Standard, Toyoda Gosei, Hutchinson, Henniges,... - April 13th, 2021
- Madison takes second in 17 team Rigby Invite | Sports | rexburgstandardjournal.com - Rexburg Standard Journal - April 13th, 2021
- Banks, ATM booths face cash withdrawal pressure ahead of lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Biohacking Market Report (2021-2027) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future | Apple Inc, Behavioral Tech, Fitbit, Inc.,... - April 13th, 2021
- How to preserve, store those red gems - Effingham Herald - April 13th, 2021
- Unified healthcare specialists boost their sales and profits - The Irish News - April 13th, 2021
- Call for more powers to be handed to "environmental watchdogs" after eight-year planning saga - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- Nine-year battle ends with 142 homes to be built on Chester flood plain land - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- DoD will release document highlighting military needs in 5G, software and data this spring - Federal News Network - April 11th, 2021
- Alliance hike to mark end of Earth Week events - The-review - April 11th, 2021
- List Of John Cena Movies And Upcoming Ventures Non-Related To WWE - SportzWiki - April 11th, 2021