The Bahamas in action against Puerto Rico.
By BRENT STUBBS
Senior Sports Reporter
The Bahamas couldnt stop the up-tempo game from host Puerto Rica and ended up getting blown out by 64 points.
The only thing that the undefeated Puerto Ricans didnt do in their near flawless feature game on day three of the championships on Thursday night was reach the 100 century mark in pulling of their 99-35 massacre over the Bahamas.
Puerto Rico used an impressive 21-9 first quarter to propel them to a 49-19 advantage at the half. They came out of the locker room and the Puerto Ricans out-scored the Bahamas 28-5 as they extended their comfortable lead to 77-24 spurt at the end of the final break.
In the fourth quarter, the Bahamas got some contribution of the bench, but it wasnt enough as Puerto Rico cruised to a 22-11 margin to drop the Bahamas to 1-2 in the tournament after splitting their first two games, beating Suriname 86-69 the day before and losing 53-39 to Costa Rica on opening day.
Before fouling out in the third quarter, forward Valencia Demeritte ended up leading the Bahamas once again with just seven points. In the 19 minutes and 23 seconds she played, Demeritte shot 3-for-9 from the field and 1-for-2 from the free throw line.
Guard Alana Pinder, in playing all but 13 seconds, had six points with eight rebounds, four steals and three assists. Team captain Tanea Bowleg also came up with six points with three assists. Michell Butler was the only other player that scored more than two points She had four points with three rebounds.
Puerto Rico had seven players in double figures with Sheslanie Laureano scoring a game high 23 points with nine rebounds, five assists and as many steals.
The Bahamas was dominated in each statistical category, except for turnovers where they had a 37-20 advantage and the team committed 37 fouls, compared to just 20 by Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico enjoyed its biggest margin by 70 points, while the Bahamas only had one lead and that was 3-2 at the start of the game, thanks to a 3-pointer from with the first 4:44 into the game in the first quarter.
The Bahamas didnt get into 7:21 into the second quarter on a free throw from Bowleg. Demeritte, who had picked up three fouls in the first quarter, came back into the game and scored on a lay-up for a 45-15 deficit.
But on the next ply, she committed her fourth foul and had to go back on the bench.
Without Demeritte in the line-up, the Bahamas found it difficult to score, coming up with just five points in the period.
The Bahamas, coached by Varel Davis and assisted by Terrance Red Eye McSweeney and Deven Johnson, will have to play a reclassification game today to determine the final position they will finish in.
- Larry Birkhead Wishes He Went to Bahamas Before Anna Nicole Smith Died: 'She'd Still Be Here' - FOX10 News - January 18th, 2020
- Sea level rise threat to 15% of Bahamas' GDP - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions CEO Gappelberg to pitch company at investor confab in Bahamas - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas 'top of the heap' before Dorian - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- A Travel Guide To The Bahamas: 15 Things Not To Miss Out On - TheTravel - January 18th, 2020
- Just Under Half the Value of Hurricane Dorian Losses and Damage in The Bahamas is Pledged for Recovery Efforts - Caribbean360.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas travel guide: All the things to do and not miss out on at these Carribean islands - Republic World - Republic World - January 18th, 2020
- Gainey wins The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - SCNow - January 16th, 2020
- Gainey takes third-round lead at The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - pgatour.com - January 16th, 2020
- Bahamas Government 'considering its options' for Freeport Grand Bahama International Airport - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - January 16th, 2020
- Supplies to be donated to the Bahamas | Featured Content - Suncoast News - January 16th, 2020
- Three Rescued from Sinking Tug Off Andros Island, Bahamas - The Maritime Executive - January 16th, 2020
- The 21st-ranked Gators open up season in the Bahamas - The Independent Florida Alligator - January 16th, 2020
- Columbus' Claims of Cannibal Raids May Have Been True After All - Livescience.com - January 16th, 2020
- United Airlines pilots mark bar mitzvah, dance with rabbi post-landing in Bahamas - JNS.org - January 16th, 2020
- RBC regional exec: Bank is committed to The Bahamas long term - EyeWitness News - January 16th, 2020
- House Hunting in the Bahamas: Comfort on the Waters of Nassau - The New York Times - December 18th, 2019
- The Bahamas Is Recovering From One Of The Strongest Atlantic Hurricanes On Record - Its Hard - Forbes - December 18th, 2019
- Chronic Disease, Injuries, and Mental Health Issues: The Bahamas' Challenging Future - Direct Relief - December 18th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Island still struggling to recover more than three months after Hurricane Dorian - ABC Action News - December 18th, 2019
- Bulls arrive in the Bahamas - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo Reporter - December 18th, 2019
- Michigan company gives away 13 Cadillacs and 30 cruises to the Bahamas at holiday party - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - December 18th, 2019
- Josh and the Bahamas - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - December 18th, 2019
- Crowd jeers Reed over rules violation in Bahamas | Golf | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 18th, 2019
- Two Ga. Southern students from the Bahamas are graduating after community's help - WJCL News - December 18th, 2019
- What to watch for when Bahamas Bowl kicks off bowl season - Chicago Daily Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Bahamas Opposition accuses the Government of Parliamentary abuse - WIC News - December 18th, 2019
- UN: Men have higher rate of suicide in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - December 18th, 2019
- Marcus Weathers scores 12 to lift Duquesne over Air Force in Bahamas - TribLIVE - November 23rd, 2019
- Evansville basketball treating Bahamas getaway as a 'business trip' to continue hot start - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Oregon's rebounding issues could be put to the test in Bahamas - 247Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Two local men are home from a life-changing trip to The Bahamas - 13abc Action News - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty routs Morgan State to open stay in the Bahamas - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 23rd, 2019
- Grand Bahama back on stream: The Bahamas is open for business - Travelweek - November 23rd, 2019
- Heading into the Bahamas, Michigan is where it wants to be - UM Hoops - November 23rd, 2019
- Family reunion: Brothers Jawaun and Tristen Newton go head-to-head in the Bahamas - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty vs. Morgan State odds: 2019 The Islands of the Bahamas Showcase picks, predictions from proven model - CBS Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Hit And Run: $1.35 Million Up For Grabs In partypoker MILLIONS Bahamas Main Event; The Big Blind Poker-Themed Game Show To Debut On PokerGo On... - November 23rd, 2019
- BTC supports more than 1500 Students from Grand Bahama and Abaco - EyeWitness News - November 23rd, 2019
- Boris Johnson's Tories handed 1million by billionaire tycoon based in Bahamas - Mirror Online - November 23rd, 2019
- The Bahamas | History, Geography, & Points of Interest ... - November 21st, 2019
- ActiveVideo Rolls Its Cloud-based Service to Cable Bahamas - Multichannel News - November 21st, 2019
- Men's basketball looks to gain tournament experience in Bahamas - GW Hatchet - November 21st, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian Responsible for $3.4 Billion in Losses on Bahamas, Report Says - The Weather Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Why Cruise Lines Are Expanding Ties to the Bahamas and Caribbean - TravelPulse - November 21st, 2019
- Carnival Corporation Signs Agreement With the Bahamas to Fund and Support Restoration of Rand Memorial Hospital Following Hurricane Dorian -... - November 21st, 2019
- Adrian Mateos, Christopher Brammer, and Daniel Dvoress Win Big in The Bahamas - PokerNews.com - November 21st, 2019
- The Islands Of The Bahamas State Of The Business Tourism Update - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2019
- The Bahamas are doing just fine and await your arrival - The News Star - October 27th, 2019
- 11-year-old boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reach over 1200 - Greenwich Time - October 27th, 2019
- Tourism In The Bahamas Rebounds After Hurricane Dorian - Cruise Industry News - October 27th, 2019
- Local boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reaches over 1,200 - WPBF West Palm Beach - October 27th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes To Storm Victims In The Bahamas And Houston - SGB Media - October 27th, 2019
- The Timberwolves are Karl-Anthony Towns' team now - Star Tribune - October 27th, 2019
- Grand Bahama All-Inclusive to Reopen in November - Caribbean Journal - October 24th, 2019
- This Species Of Shark Was Spotted For The First Time In The Tongue Of The Ocean Near The Bahamas - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Trinidad and Tobago ships relief items to the Bahamas - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 24th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes to Recent Storm Victims in the Bahamas and Houston - Business Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Temple Terrace Donates Fire Truck To Ravaged Station In Bahamas - Patch.com - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Womens Basketball to play exhibition to Benefit Bahamas Hurricane Relief - On The Banks - October 24th, 2019
- 'Bahamas was not a joke': KAT and his unified Wolves open with a stirring win - The Athletic - October 24th, 2019
- New gas station -- result of Bahamas Bowl sponsorship -- coming to Elk Grove - Chicago Daily Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Mercer alumna helps the Bahamas with the United Nations Humanitarian Response Depot - The Cluster - October 24th, 2019
- SITE Classic brings 300 Incentive Travel professionals to the Bahamas - Travel Daily News International - October 24th, 2019
- Govt. signs Heads of Agreement for new medical university in Grand Bahama - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- FATF keeps Panama and Bahamas on the grey list and adds Iceland - International Investment - October 24th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Power working on 'innovative' renewable energy solutions - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean: Grandeur of the Seas to leave Baltimore - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 24th, 2019
- 'Please come and visit:' Unscathed Bahamas islands need visitors to aid hurricane recovery - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- The Salvation army's hurricane response in the Bahamas continues to grow - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 5th, 2019
- A Florida bar has removed about $14,000 stapled to its walls to provide hurricane relief in Bahamas - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs from the Bahamas are up for adoption at the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando - Orlando Weekly - October 5th, 2019
- WHO Director-General visits devastated sites in the Bahamas to assess health impacts of Hurricane Dorian - World Health Organization - October 5th, 2019
- Pets rescued from destruction in Bahamas arrive in Maine, looking for forever home - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - October 5th, 2019
- 2019 Intensive: Bahamas - Highlights - International Women's Forum News - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs, 1 cat rescued from Bahamas ready for adoption at H.A.L.O. shelter in Sebastian - TCPalm - October 5th, 2019
- By the numbers: Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas - News-Press - October 5th, 2019
- Just how far away are the Bahamas? - The Triton - October 5th, 2019
- Big Charger from the Bahamas learning to play football - Chattanooga Times Free Press - August 25th, 2017
- The Only Private Island in the Bahamas Where You Can Land Your Private Jet - Robb Report - August 25th, 2017