People have been altering their perceptions of reality for as long as there have been people, and in 2017, the newest and oldest tools for human transcendence are coming together: lately were eating psychedelic mushrooms to heighten or otherwise enhance our experience of virtual reality.
The relationship between people and psychedelic substances dates all the way back to prehistoric times. In his book Food of the Gods, notorious ethnobotanist and cultural critic Terence McKenna lays out his stoned ape theory of evolution, hypothesizing that hallucinogenic mushrooms were back in the day a staple food item, readily available from the ground. He suggests that these humble fungi acted as neurological lightning bolts, jumpstarting the brain development that saw Homo erectus turn into Homo sapien about 200,000 years ago.
McKennas suggestion is that psychedelics made the human mind modern. It makes at least a degree of sense: the digital, high-tech species that straps a virtual reality headset on its face was bound to first have a low-tech method for making the authentic world disappear. To put it reductively, you dont get to the Oculus Rift without going through a few magic mushrooms first.
Were alive at a time that we have access to both the new stuff and the old stuff, so what happens when these two perception-shifters tagteam each other? Whats it like to escape reality in analog and digital at the same time?
Alexandre Tomic, co-founder of Slotsmillion VR, the worlds first virtual reality casino, agreed to talk with Inverse on the record about combining psychedelics and VR.
My most recent psychedelic experience in virtual reality was about 9 months ago, says Tomic, who recalls using Tilt Brush, the virtual reality app by Google that lets users doodle in 3D space, and a horror video game.
I ordered mushrooms from a Dutch website, ate them dry, then played Tilt Brush and admired the magical colors. After that, I played Alien Isolation and screamed like a 17-year-old girl.
Tomic suggests that psychedelics work to make ones experience of virtual reality more real. The pixels are more prominent in virtual reality displays, so theres often a grid- or matrix-like effect as you play. Mushrooms make this effect stronger, resulting in more hallucinations you perceive the full environment as well as the grid that makes the environment possible. Super trippy.
Our present-day relationship with psychedelics doesnt much resemble that of our stoned ancestors. This category of drug were talking LSD, mushrooms, MDMA, and the like is federally classified as a Schedule 1 controlled substance, a family that includes heroin. Though psychedelics are federally criminalized, medical research professionals acknowledge them as bursting with potential for treating victims of trauma, PTSD, and other disorders.
See also: Why a soap company is investing millions to study MDMAs effects on PTSD
Psilocybin has been shown to be safe and non-addictive, George Greer, medical director of the Heffter Research Institute, the mission of which is to study psilocybin for cancer distress and addiction with the highest standards of scientific research. Greers organization has the primary funding body for psilocybin research throughout Europe and the United States for more than 20 years. Hes even done a reddit AMA about his work.
Early results indicate that, when used with medical screening and therapeutic support, it could be more effective at treating some significant psychiatric diseases than existing pharmaceutical approaches, and without having to take a medication every day, Greer tells Inverse. A single treatment has improved symptoms for months.
Virtual reality has also demonstrated therapeutic efficacy since the early 1990s. Ralph Lamson of the Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Group cured his own acrophobia with VR technology between 1994 and 1995, then set up a scientific study to try to do the same thing with 40 study participants; 38 of them showed significant improvement.
See also: The scientific difference between LSD and mushrooms
Because this technology figuratively enables you to go anywhere and do anything, exposure therapy becomes completely safe. However real the sensation of fear and dread may be as a virtual spider crawls toward you, or as you peer over a steep ledge, nothing inside of virtual reality goggles can actually touch your body or harm you. The Heffter research team holds that psychedelics unexplored potential requires careful scientific study before they can be elevated to the status of mainstream medicine.
This careful scientific study is also being carried out by the Multidisciplinary Association of Psychedelic Studies, whose research focuses on MDMA, an acronym for the chemical name 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine. MDMA has the greatest promise for PTSD, and we believe that it has the greatest chance to be approved by the FDA soonest among all psychedelics, Brad Burge, communications director for MAPS, a Santa Cruz, California-based non-profit, tells Inverse.
I think the use of VR to help cultivate a therapeutic setting could be quite valuable in the applications of psychedelic medicine, Merete Christiansen, executive associate at MAPS, tells Inverse.
Theres also the government: the Department of Defense has been actively funding virtual reality therapy research for soldiers returning from war, but theres no word about the DoD combining VR and MDMA, although research into using MDMA to treat post-traumatic stress disorder has a number of backers and research is beginning.
Tomic, the virtual reality casino operator, contextualizes his VR trips as an experiment in user interfaces.
We know when applications make information visual, that information speaks more directly to your brain. Mushrooms plus VR means we can create the interface to display this information, and give our brains the ability to see patterns that you couldnt see before, Tomic tells Inverse. You become able to relate things that seems completely unrelated.
Virtual reality and psychedelic drugs both have associations with nonproductive, pleasure-seeking behavior, but Tomic says this mentality should not figure into your VR trips. He specifies that does this home alone, in a work context; Im working on myself, not doing it recreationally. When youre young, you seek pleasure. When youre old, you seek happiness.
Pleasure is for losers, says the virtual reality casino entrepreneur.
Read this article:
- This Trippy Oregon Theme Park Is A Low-Key Psychedelic Playground - Thrillist - May 15th, 2020
- EGF Theramed Appoints George Anstey to Board of Directors - Benzinga - May 15th, 2020
- Empower Clinics and EuroLife Brands Close Definitive Agreement and Sign Multi-Year Multi-National Licence Agreement - GuruFocus.com - May 15th, 2020
- Have a Good Trip Demystifies Psychedelics - The New Republic - May 14th, 2020
- Investing in Psychedelics - Energy and Capital - May 14th, 2020
- Psilocybin May be the Key to Treating a Range of Health Issues, Including Obesity - Baystreet.ca - May 14th, 2020
- Movie review: Netflix's 'Have a Good Trip' is only a mild high - Eagle-Tribune - May 14th, 2020
- Psychedelics - Alcohol and Drug Foundation - May 10th, 2020
- Celebrities share LSD trips in Netflix documentary 'Have A Good Trip' - Insider - INSIDER - May 10th, 2020
- The Queen of Consciousness Driving Psychedelic Study and Advocacy - Filter - May 10th, 2020
- The 'Billions' Stock Watch: It's Time For Psychedelics And Subterfuge - UPROXX - May 10th, 2020
- Have a Good Trip: Netflix release and cast as celebrities recall mind-bending experiences - Mirror Online - May 10th, 2020
- From "Solar Opposites" to "Midnight Gospel," recent otherworldly animation is worth the head-trip - Salon - May 10th, 2020
- Netflix Reveals Celebrities' Wildest Drug Trips, From Anthony Bourdain to Carrie Fisher - The Daily Beast - May 10th, 2020
- Psychedelic mushrooms for depression: 'This is the one that changed things' - DW (English) - April 26th, 2020
- MindMed wants to develop a drug to help end a bad LSD trip - Fast Company - April 26th, 2020
- Netflixs The Midnight Gospel Is a Profoundly Weird Psychedelic Trip You Want To Take - Mashable India - April 26th, 2020
- Professor describes uses and history of hallucinogens - The Daily Evergreen - April 26th, 2020
- Media Central moves to provide coverage on emerging Psychedelics and eGames sectors - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - April 26th, 2020
- This video game does the same things to your brain as magic mushrooms - Happy Mag - April 26th, 2020
- Inborn Psychedelia on White Nights' Into the Lap of the Ancient Mother - Invisible Oranges - April 26th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelic Stock News Stories Of The Week - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Psychedelic mushrooms could affect the brain long after its active ingredient leaves the system - The Next Web - April 9th, 2020
- We Could Be Taking Psychedelics to Help Treat Mental Illness in Just Five Years - Newsweek - April 7th, 2020
- Magic mushrooms to treat depression? COMPASS Pathways pushes forward with U.S. patent for psilocybin therapy - Straight.com - April 7th, 2020
- Key Insights from PSYCH: The Psychedelics as Medicine Report - Prohibition Partners - March 18th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelic Stock News Stories Of The Week - Benzinga - March 18th, 2020
- With No Progress in Therapy, NYC Couple Turns to Psychedelics for Help - NBC New York - March 13th, 2020
- Upscale Psychedelics Therapy Center Opens On New Yorks 5th Avenue - Forbes - March 13th, 2020
- Why Kevin O'Leary is betting on psychedelics - Wealth Professional - March 13th, 2020
- Learning the hard way that psychedelic drug use can have long-term consequences - Dailyuw - March 13th, 2020
- Forget taking a pill a day. Canada is using psychedelics to revolutionize the way we treat mental health and addiction - The GrowthOp - March 13th, 2020
- High Stakes: Will The Legalization Of Psychedelics Mimic That Of Cannabis? Will It Learn From Its Mistakes? - Benzinga - March 13th, 2020
- Scientists Just Proved These Two Brain Networks Are Key to Consciousness - Singularity Hub - March 13th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana Stock News Stories Of The Week - MarketWatch - March 13th, 2020
- Podcast Host Joe Rogan Is Steadily Documenting A Psychedelic Record Of The 21st Century - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Empower Clinics to create psilocybin and psychadelics division leveraging corporate wellness and franchise clinic network - Proactive Investors USA... - February 27th, 2020
- The Psilocybin Movement Is Like The Cannabis Movement (Except When It's Not) - Benzinga - February 27th, 2020
- Researchers went to festivals to study psychedelic drugs and found they left people feeling happy and connected hours after the high wore off -... - January 22nd, 2020
- Psychedelics and Their 'Mystical Effects' in the Real World - Medscape - January 22nd, 2020
- Psychedelic Events Are Going Mainstream, Where The Much-Maligned Mushroom Industry Focuses On Mental Health - Forbes - January 18th, 2020
- Psychedelics have 'extraordinarily potent' anti-inflammatory power. Is there a place for them in mainstream medicine? - Genetic Literacy Project - January 18th, 2020
- Silicon Valley Is Micro-Dosing Magic Mushrooms To Boost Their Careers - Forbes - January 18th, 2020
- NYC To Host Economics Of Psychedelics Investing Summit - Benzinga - January 18th, 2020
- The Best FREE Things to Do for the Next Week - My New Orleans - January 18th, 2020
- Photos of the Stuff That Fascinates People While They're Tripping On LSD - VICE - January 18th, 2020
- Rats on DMT hint at the benefits of psychedelic microdosing - Inverse - December 31st, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Would you ever consider psychedelics to treat PTSD? - SooToday.com - December 31st, 2019
- A Trailblazer of Global Consciousness: Ram Dass Led the Way - Psychology Today - December 31st, 2019
- The Psychedelic Renaissance and the importance of drug policy reform - Open Access Government - December 13th, 2019
- Magic Mushrooms Move Closer to Mainstream Medicine As VC-Backed Compass Touts Safety, Positive Mood Alteration - Karma - December 13th, 2019
- Miami Clinics Use Ketamine IV Therapy to Help Treat Depression and PTSD - Miami New Times - December 13th, 2019
- Andy Frasco Talks Finding Emotional Balance With Psychedelics On 'Psychedelics Today' Podcast [Listen] - Live for Live Music - November 30th, 2019
- Will psychedelics be available commonly in the near future? - BPhrm Dv - November 30th, 2019
- Letters to the Editor: Psychedelics on their way - Valley Advocate - November 30th, 2019
- Scientists Have a Fascinating New Map of the Human Brain on DMT - VICE - November 30th, 2019
- Hes a fungi: U.S. health agency asks researcher to give it the lowdown on psilocybin mushrooms - The GrowthOp - November 30th, 2019
- A Magic Mushroom Test Case, and the Man Behind It - OZY - November 30th, 2019
- The Two Black Women Helping To Reclaim & Encourage Natural Psychedelics Use In Oakland - Okayplayer - November 2nd, 2019
- Molecule Catalyst and UTM to crowdfund psychedelics research with blockchain - Decrypt - November 2nd, 2019
- On writing: What illuminates a story? - Big Think - November 2nd, 2019
- The future of psychedelic science - Varsity - October 20th, 2019
- Psychedelic Drugs: Researchers experimenting with active agent in magic mushrooms to treat addiction, depression and anxiety - 60 Minutes - CBS News - October 17th, 2019
- Investors hope psychedelics are the new cannabis. Are they high? - The Economist - October 17th, 2019
- Mind Trip: Psychedelics Fighting Depression, Anxiety, Addiction - The National Herald - October 17th, 2019
- Devon Welsh on Growing a Mustache, Psychedelics, and Other Complicated Things - Interview - October 17th, 2019
- Roland Griffiths: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com - October 17th, 2019
- How Mushrooms Became Magic - The Atlantic - August 25th, 2017
- Using Mushrooms and LSD to Enhance Creativity - How to Use ... - August 20th, 2017
- LSD - Psychedelics - August 16th, 2017
- This Philosopher Thinks Psychedelic Drugs Lead to the Truth of Experience - Big Think - August 16th, 2017
- Can Psychedelics Treat Bipolar Disorder? - August 13th, 2017
- The foundation of Western philosophy is probably rooted in psychedelics - Quartz - August 13th, 2017
- Psychedelic drugs saved my life. So why aren't they prescribed? - Wired.co.uk - August 8th, 2017
- Daniel Greig, Canadian Drug Policy, Responsibilities, and Psychedelics - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- THE FUTURE OF PSYCHEDELICS: Are LSD and Mushrooms The New Prozac? - Dope Magazine - August 5th, 2017
- Gonzo Nieto, Drug Policy, Medical and Psychological Effects - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- For children, it's beyond psychedelics - The Hans India - The Hans India - August 1st, 2017
- Modern psychedelic science is reviving lost research and finding new cures - The Plaid Zebra (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Expanding consciousness - 48 Hills - August 1st, 2017