Welcome to Impact Factor, your weekly microdose of commentary on a new medical study. I'm Dr F. Perry Wilson.
In 2006, 36 research subjects were given the psychedelic agent psilocybin under carefully controlled lab conditions. The majority reported having a mystical experience, with 21 of 36 rating it one of the top five most personally meaningful experiences of their lives.
Lab-controlled experiments of the effects of psychedelics have repeatedly shown that the agents can induce so-called "transformative experiences"powerful, nearly religious experiences that may even lead to a reevaluation of central values. Lab studies also suggest that they can cause a dissolution of the ego, leading to certain universal "oneness" and lasting positive effects. But let's be honestthe vast majority of people who use psychedelics aren't using them in laboratories.
So where do you go to find people using psychedelics in the real world?
Yup. Burning Man.
You've probably heard of Burning Man, Coachella, Lollapalooza. And if you were a part of Dr Molly Crockett's Yale team of psychology researchers, you could actually gofor science!
Results of the in-the-wild study appear in this week's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The team attended six multiday mass gatherings in the United States and United Kingdom and set up a booth to interview participants about their experiences with various substances.
Credit to clever survey design here. They maintained anonymity by creating a unique identifier for each individual. And to make sure that people weren't actively under the influence, they included a few sobriety checks in the questionnaire. Here's one:
Did you catch that?
To ensure that participants would be comfortable being honest about their exposures, they mixed legal sources of exposure into the survey examples. So instead of asking if the participant had been smoking marijuana, they asked whether he or she had used cannabis products (eg, weed, THC, CBD, hemp oil).
The numbers indicate... well, about what you'd expect.
Eighty percent of individuals surveyed had used alcohol at the event, 51% had used cannabis products, and just over a quarter had used psychedelics. About 1 in 8 reported using no substances at all.
The big question was whether those mystical effects seen in the lab would translate to the real world. And, indeed, they seemed to.
Those who had taken psychedelics were more likely to report a transformative experience, more likely to have a positive mood, and more likely to feel socially connected. This was independent of the effect of other agents.
Now, you might think that people predisposed to take psychedelics are also more likely to claim transformative experiences. The researchers tried to disentangle that by asking the participants about their desire and expectation to have a transformative experience. The effect of psychedelic exposure was just as robust even after accounting for that desire.
The transformative experiences themselves were different when psychedelics were involved compared with other drugs. They were more positive and more likely to lead to shifts in one's moral values.
Now, a major caveat is that the survey wasn't really designed to pick up adverse drug effects, so take the Pollyanna-ish results here with a grain of lysergic acid. But still, overall, the drugs seem to do in real life what they do in the lab. And broadly, the effects are positive.
But why are we talking about this? Three reasons.
First, it's a fun study to remind us that science is cool and doesn't have to be done in a petri dish.
Second, it's a study to remind us that some of our patients use drugs that don't come from us. It is part of good medical practice to ask about them and to understand their effects in context.
But most of all, I think we need to start paying more attention to this space. Softening social attitudes toward certain drugs like cannabis and psychedelics have opened the door to more robust research about their effects. And though it's early days, there seems to be some promise here.
Depression is an epidemic in this country. Current therapies are okay but fail in too many patients. I am encouraged that certain previously verboten drugs, like ketamine, are seeing a rebirth as potentially game-changing antidepressants. We should proceed slowly and cautiously in evaluating any substance that has the capability to alter the sensorium so profoundly (and even change our moral values), but we'd be remiss to dismiss them out of hand. So pay attention. And stay groovy.
F. Perry Wilson, MD, MSCE, is an associate professor of medicine and director of Yale's Program of Applied Translational Research. His science communication work can be found in the Huffington Post, on NPR, and here on Medscape. He tweets @methodsmanmd and hosts a repository of his communication work at http://www.methodsman.com.
Follow Medscape on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Johns Hopkins Scientists Give Psychedelics the Serious ... - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelics Get a New Look, and PTSD Sufferers Might Have ... - July 25th, 2021
- Why Seelos Therapeutics Stock Is Jumping Today | The ... - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelic trips could soon be part of therapy heres what those sessions will look like - CNBC - July 25th, 2021
- AOC Promotes Research On Benefits Of Psychedelics Like Psilocybin And MDMA With New Amendment - Marijuana Moment - July 25th, 2021
- Michael Pollan on psychedelics and Americas dysfunctional relationship with drugs - Vox.com - July 25th, 2021
- Is It Too Early to Invest in Psychedelic Stocks? - The Motley Fool - July 25th, 2021
- Can Psychedelics Be Used to Treat Fibromyalgia? - Pain News Network - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelics Gain More Traction as New Research Aims to Address Chronic Pain and Mental Illness - PRNewswire - July 25th, 2021
- Doctors treating depression see promise in ketamine, a cheap drug already approved for anesthesia - ABC News - July 25th, 2021
- Cybin Lands Conditional Approval To Become The First Psychedelics Company on The NYSE - Markets Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Will Psychedelics Continue To Grow In 2021? Fund Managers Share Insights And Strategies As More Companies - Benzinga - July 25th, 2021
- Microdose Psychedelic Insight's Psychedelic Capital: July 2021 conference to take place on July 29, 2021 - StreetInsider.com - July 25th, 2021
- 'I Tried Psychedelics to Treat My Debilitating Cluster Headaches' - Prevention.com - July 18th, 2021
- California Bill To Legalize Psychedelics Possession Advances Again, With New Amendments That Add Limits - Marijuana Moment - July 18th, 2021
- Florida startup treating illness with magic mushrooms receives $2.5 million - The Register-Guard - July 18th, 2021
- Psychedelic microdosing study to reveal what really happens in brains - Macquarie University - July 18th, 2021
- Another Psychedelic and Its Potential Psychiatric Promise - Technology Networks - July 18th, 2021
- MindMed Studies the Role of Psychedelics in Treatments - TechAcute - July 18th, 2021
- LSD and nicotine could be more important to healthcare than we think - Euronews - July 18th, 2021
- Ready to Tap into the US$7.6 billion Psychedelics Market - Stockhouse - July 18th, 2021
- Triple Your Money in 6 Months With This Top Biotech Stock to Buy Right Now - InvestorPlace - July 18th, 2021
- The Newly Institute Announces the Execution of a Joint Working Agreement with Drug Science for the Drug Science Medical Psychedelics Working Group -... - July 18th, 2021
- Cybin to Participate in Grizzle Psychedelics Con on June 28th - Business Wire - June 28th, 2021
- California State Senate Passes Psychedelic Legalization In Latest Wave Of The New Psychedelic Revolution - Cannabis & Hemp - United States -... - June 28th, 2021
- Goodness Growth Holdings Subsidiary Resurgent Biosciences Files Patent for Virtual Reality Applications to Facilitate Therapeutic Psychedelic... - June 28th, 2021
- Why This MindMed Analyst Is Bullish: 'One Of The Most Diverse Pipelines In Psychedelics' - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 28th, 2021
- New TX Law Allows for Study of Psychedelics as Treatment for Veterans with PTSD - WBAP News/Talk - June 28th, 2021
- What It Means To Live 'Psychedelically:' DoubleBlind Mag #05 Dives Deep Into The Topic - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 28th, 2021
- Exclusively-Natural Psychedelic Pharma Company, Filament Health, Lists on the NEO Exchange - Business Wire - June 28th, 2021
- Atai Goes Public With Promising New Mental-Health Treatments Based On Psychedelics - Entrepreneur - June 28th, 2021
- Crypto, Cannabis Backers Turn to Psychedelics With New UK IPO - Bloomberg - June 11th, 2021
- Deepak Chopra On MindMed Partnership, How Psychedelics Influenced The Trajectory Of His Life - Forbes - June 11th, 2021
- Psyched: First Psychedelics ETF Comes To The US, Bills Move Forward In Texas, California and New York - Benzinga - June 11th, 2021
- Calgary businessman, U of C partner for exploration into psychedelics as mental health treatment for Canadians - CTV Toronto - June 11th, 2021
- Psychedelic Compound 5-MeO-DMT Could Make Therapy Short And Effective: Beckley Psytech Is 'All In' - Benz - Benzinga - June 11th, 2021
- A trip to recovery: N.L. patients using psychedelics therapeutically, hoping for legal vindication - CBC.ca - June 11th, 2021
- Global Trac Solutions Reports Record Pageviews Of Psychedelics Industry Indicate An Expanding Interest In The Sector - Yahoo Finance - June 11th, 2021
- Magic Mushrooms Helped Me Cope With My Severe Postpartum Depression - GoodHousekeeping.com - June 11th, 2021
- Why the North America Psychedelic Drugs Market is Expected to Grow With the Fastest CAGR for Next Several Years - PRNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Next Super Stocks on the Move: Tetra Bio-Pharma, Red Light - GlobeNewswire - June 11th, 2021
- Mike Tyson says psychedelics saved his life, now he hopes they can change the world - Reuters - May 29th, 2021
- NIH Director Praises Psychedelics' Potential As Therapeutic Treatment, Touts Progress In Access To Cannabis For Research - Benzinga - May 29th, 2021
- NIH Director Touted Benefits of Psychedelics Including Psilocybin and MDMA - Stockhouse - May 29th, 2021
- PharmaTher Collaborates with MediSynergics to Develop Patented Ketamine Formulation for Pain Disorders and to Discover Novel Psychedelic Formulations... - May 27th, 2021
- Are psychedelics the whole answer? | MHT - Mental Health Today - May 27th, 2021
- Psychedelic Therapy: Uses, How It's Done, Risks, and More - Healthline - May 27th, 2021
- Interest in the medical use of psychedelics increasing - Business in Vancouver - May 27th, 2021
- Shroom boom? Here's why investors say psychedelics are the next stock to watch. - 13newsnow.com WVEC - May 27th, 2021
- Can Psychedelics Actually Cure Depression and PTSD? - The Motley Fool - May 27th, 2021
- Ive experimented with psychedelic drugs to improve my mental health dont call me a waster - The Independent - May 27th, 2021
- With Psychedelics, Mental Health Care May Never be the Same - Baystreet.ca - May 27th, 2021
- Non-Hallucinogenic Psychedelic Analog Reverses Effects of Stress in Mice - Technology Networks - May 27th, 2021
- Texas Psychedelics Research Bill Continues To Advance, Passes Senate Together With Cannabis Concentrates Measure - Benzinga - May 27th, 2021
- Wesana Health, WBC Partner to Study Psychedelics as Treatment for TBIs - StreetInsider.com - May 27th, 2021
- Psychedelic-like drug could fix the symptoms of stress without giving you hallucinations - ZME Science - May 27th, 2021
- What Will Psychedelics Mean for the Future of Medicine? - D Healthcare Daily - May 22nd, 2021
- Tryp Therapeutics Inc. (CSE: TRYP) (OTCQB: TRYPF) Brings Best-in-Class Team to Psychedelics Development - BioSpace - May 22nd, 2021
- Kristen Bell Reveals She Tried Psychedelic Mushrooms To Treat Her Depression - ETCanada.com - May 22nd, 2021
- Psychedelic Medicine Read All About It on Psychable - Influencive - May 22nd, 2021
- Canada's Psychedelic Future: a guide to the evolving legal and regulatory landscape and what's next - Lexpert - May 22nd, 2021
- Psychedelics as therapy? West Michigan author advocates for further research and acceptance - Michigan Radio - May 9th, 2021
- MindMed Announces Project Angie, Targeting the Treatment of Pain with Psychedelics - PRNewswire - May 9th, 2021
- The never-ending trip: LSD flashbacks and a psychedelic disorder that can last forever - Big Think - May 9th, 2021
- Expert Q&A: MAPS and Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy - Psychiatry Advisor - May 9th, 2021
- The Benefits Of Peyote: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Medicine - Benzinga - May 9th, 2021
- Psychedelics, peacekeeping and office productivity - The Week UK - May 9th, 2021
- Stateside: Rethinking herd immunity; COVID-19 in the Arab American community; psychedelics therapy - Michigan Radio - May 4th, 2021
- Why People Are Taking Psychedelics To Enhance Creativity Thinking - Benzinga - May 4th, 2021
- Why Companies Are Betting Big On Psychedelic Drugs To Treat Mental Health Epidemic - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Psychedelics are transforming the way we understand depression and its treatment - The Guardian - April 21st, 2021
- Peter Thiel-backed psychedelics start-up plans to raise $100 million in IPO - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Psychedelics As A Potential Form Of Treatment For Traumatic Brain Injuries - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Psychedelic Drugs Market Size Is Projected To Reach $10.75 Billion By 2027 - PRNewswire - April 21st, 2021
- Study: Tripping might not be required for psychedelic therapy - Big Think - April 21st, 2021
- Why You Dont Need To Be Jewish To Attend The Upcoming Jewish Psychedelic Summit - Forbes - April 21st, 2021
- Inside the experiment that could bring psychedelic drugs to the NHS - BBC Focus Magazine - April 21st, 2021
- Researchers In Europe, U.S. Team Up To Produce First Ever 5-MeO-DMT Psychedelic Training Program - Forbes - April 21st, 2021
- Psychable, the Online Platform for Psychedelic Healthcare, is Live the Comprehensive Resource Connects Those Seeking Information on Legal... - April 21st, 2021
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelics Industry News Stories Of The Week, 4/20/2021 - Benzinga - April 21st, 2021