Jul. 20, 2017, 12:16 PM
When Clark Martin tripped on magic mushrooms for the first time, he was flanked by two researchers in a small room at New York University.
An avid sailor, Martin said the first few hours of the experience reminded him of a time he'd been knocked off his boat by a powerful wave and lost track of the vessel.
"It was like falling off the boat in the open ocean, looking back, and the boat is gone. Then the water disappears. Then you disappear," he said.
But the panic was temporary. Over the next few hours, Martin felt overwhelmed by an enduring sense of tranquility and a feeling of oneness with his surroundings.
"The whole 'you' thing just kinda drops out into a more timeless, more formless presence," Martin told Business Insider in January.
That shrinking of the sense of self has been linked with long-lasting shifts in perspective changes that appear to be related to a reduction in symptoms of depression and anxiety. That's according to clinical trials of magic mushrooms' active ingredient, psilocybin, in cancer patients at Johns Hopkins and New York University. Martin was one of those patients.
David Nutt, the director of the neuropsychopharmacology unit in the division of brain sciences at Imperial College London, told Business Insider in January that a key characteristic of mental illnesses like anxiety, depression, and addiction is overly strengthened connections in some brain circuits specifically those involved in the sense of self.
"In the depressed brain, in the addicted brain, in the obsessed brain, it gets locked into a pattern of thinking or processing that's driven by the frontal, the control center," Nutt said.
Brain scan studies and several clinical trials suggest that psychedelic drugs tamp down on the activity in these circuits, potentially providing relief that may last a few weeks, several months, or even years. For this reason, preliminary research on psychedelics suggests they could one day be used to help treat mental illnesses.
"Psychedelics disrupt that process so people can escape," Nutt said. "At least for the duration of the trip, they can escape about the ruminations about depression or alcohol or obsessions. And then they do not necessarily go back."
Researchers say the drugs' apparent ability to induce powerful, positive changes in personality could offer a way to address the foundations of mental illness, unlike current antidepressant medications that simply treat the symptoms.
"Psychedelic therapy ... offers an opportunity to dig down and get to the heart of the problems that drive long-term mental illness in a much more effective way than our current model, which is take daily medications to mask symptoms," psychiatrist Ben Sessa said at a recent conference in London on the science of psychedelics.
The drugs are not a treatment in and of themselves, Sessa said. Rather, they are a tool that can be used in conjunction with therapy to help people address underlying issues.
"It's using the drugs to enhance that relationship between the therapist and the patient," he said.
Julie Holland, a psychiatrist who is currently serving as the medical monitor for a study of MDMA and psychotherapy in veterans with PTSD, said at the conference that she sees the use of psychedelics alongside therapy as a powerful way to address issues that patients may never deal with on existing anti-depressant medications.
Those medications, Holland said, "are sort of sweeping symptoms under the rug. Psychedelic psychotherapy takes the rug out back and beats the hell out of it and vacuums the floor and puts the rug back down."
Like what you see here? Subscribe to our daily newsletter to get more of it.
See the original post:
- This Trippy Oregon Theme Park Is A Low-Key Psychedelic Playground - Thrillist - May 15th, 2020
- EGF Theramed Appoints George Anstey to Board of Directors - Benzinga - May 15th, 2020
- Empower Clinics and EuroLife Brands Close Definitive Agreement and Sign Multi-Year Multi-National Licence Agreement - GuruFocus.com - May 15th, 2020
- Have a Good Trip Demystifies Psychedelics - The New Republic - May 14th, 2020
- Investing in Psychedelics - Energy and Capital - May 14th, 2020
- Psilocybin May be the Key to Treating a Range of Health Issues, Including Obesity - Baystreet.ca - May 14th, 2020
- Movie review: Netflix's 'Have a Good Trip' is only a mild high - Eagle-Tribune - May 14th, 2020
- Psychedelics - Alcohol and Drug Foundation - May 10th, 2020
- Celebrities share LSD trips in Netflix documentary 'Have A Good Trip' - Insider - INSIDER - May 10th, 2020
- The Queen of Consciousness Driving Psychedelic Study and Advocacy - Filter - May 10th, 2020
- The 'Billions' Stock Watch: It's Time For Psychedelics And Subterfuge - UPROXX - May 10th, 2020
- Have a Good Trip: Netflix release and cast as celebrities recall mind-bending experiences - Mirror Online - May 10th, 2020
- From "Solar Opposites" to "Midnight Gospel," recent otherworldly animation is worth the head-trip - Salon - May 10th, 2020
- Netflix Reveals Celebrities' Wildest Drug Trips, From Anthony Bourdain to Carrie Fisher - The Daily Beast - May 10th, 2020
- Psychedelic mushrooms for depression: 'This is the one that changed things' - DW (English) - April 26th, 2020
- MindMed wants to develop a drug to help end a bad LSD trip - Fast Company - April 26th, 2020
- Netflixs The Midnight Gospel Is a Profoundly Weird Psychedelic Trip You Want To Take - Mashable India - April 26th, 2020
- Professor describes uses and history of hallucinogens - The Daily Evergreen - April 26th, 2020
- Media Central moves to provide coverage on emerging Psychedelics and eGames sectors - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - April 26th, 2020
- This video game does the same things to your brain as magic mushrooms - Happy Mag - April 26th, 2020
- Inborn Psychedelia on White Nights' Into the Lap of the Ancient Mother - Invisible Oranges - April 26th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelic Stock News Stories Of The Week - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Psychedelic mushrooms could affect the brain long after its active ingredient leaves the system - The Next Web - April 9th, 2020
- We Could Be Taking Psychedelics to Help Treat Mental Illness in Just Five Years - Newsweek - April 7th, 2020
- Magic mushrooms to treat depression? COMPASS Pathways pushes forward with U.S. patent for psilocybin therapy - Straight.com - April 7th, 2020
- Key Insights from PSYCH: The Psychedelics as Medicine Report - Prohibition Partners - March 18th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana And Psychedelic Stock News Stories Of The Week - Benzinga - March 18th, 2020
- With No Progress in Therapy, NYC Couple Turns to Psychedelics for Help - NBC New York - March 13th, 2020
- Upscale Psychedelics Therapy Center Opens On New Yorks 5th Avenue - Forbes - March 13th, 2020
- Why Kevin O'Leary is betting on psychedelics - Wealth Professional - March 13th, 2020
- Learning the hard way that psychedelic drug use can have long-term consequences - Dailyuw - March 13th, 2020
- Forget taking a pill a day. Canada is using psychedelics to revolutionize the way we treat mental health and addiction - The GrowthOp - March 13th, 2020
- High Stakes: Will The Legalization Of Psychedelics Mimic That Of Cannabis? Will It Learn From Its Mistakes? - Benzinga - March 13th, 2020
- Scientists Just Proved These Two Brain Networks Are Key to Consciousness - Singularity Hub - March 13th, 2020
- Cannabis Countdown: Top 10 Marijuana Stock News Stories Of The Week - MarketWatch - March 13th, 2020
- Podcast Host Joe Rogan Is Steadily Documenting A Psychedelic Record Of The 21st Century - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Empower Clinics to create psilocybin and psychadelics division leveraging corporate wellness and franchise clinic network - Proactive Investors USA... - February 27th, 2020
- The Psilocybin Movement Is Like The Cannabis Movement (Except When It's Not) - Benzinga - February 27th, 2020
- Researchers went to festivals to study psychedelic drugs and found they left people feeling happy and connected hours after the high wore off -... - January 22nd, 2020
- Psychedelics and Their 'Mystical Effects' in the Real World - Medscape - January 22nd, 2020
- Psychedelic Events Are Going Mainstream, Where The Much-Maligned Mushroom Industry Focuses On Mental Health - Forbes - January 18th, 2020
- Psychedelics have 'extraordinarily potent' anti-inflammatory power. Is there a place for them in mainstream medicine? - Genetic Literacy Project - January 18th, 2020
- Silicon Valley Is Micro-Dosing Magic Mushrooms To Boost Their Careers - Forbes - January 18th, 2020
- NYC To Host Economics Of Psychedelics Investing Summit - Benzinga - January 18th, 2020
- The Best FREE Things to Do for the Next Week - My New Orleans - January 18th, 2020
- Photos of the Stuff That Fascinates People While They're Tripping On LSD - VICE - January 18th, 2020
- Rats on DMT hint at the benefits of psychedelic microdosing - Inverse - December 31st, 2019
- BEYOND LOCAL: Would you ever consider psychedelics to treat PTSD? - SooToday.com - December 31st, 2019
- A Trailblazer of Global Consciousness: Ram Dass Led the Way - Psychology Today - December 31st, 2019
- The Psychedelic Renaissance and the importance of drug policy reform - Open Access Government - December 13th, 2019
- Magic Mushrooms Move Closer to Mainstream Medicine As VC-Backed Compass Touts Safety, Positive Mood Alteration - Karma - December 13th, 2019
- Miami Clinics Use Ketamine IV Therapy to Help Treat Depression and PTSD - Miami New Times - December 13th, 2019
- Andy Frasco Talks Finding Emotional Balance With Psychedelics On 'Psychedelics Today' Podcast [Listen] - Live for Live Music - November 30th, 2019
- Will psychedelics be available commonly in the near future? - BPhrm Dv - November 30th, 2019
- Letters to the Editor: Psychedelics on their way - Valley Advocate - November 30th, 2019
- Scientists Have a Fascinating New Map of the Human Brain on DMT - VICE - November 30th, 2019
- Hes a fungi: U.S. health agency asks researcher to give it the lowdown on psilocybin mushrooms - The GrowthOp - November 30th, 2019
- A Magic Mushroom Test Case, and the Man Behind It - OZY - November 30th, 2019
- The Two Black Women Helping To Reclaim & Encourage Natural Psychedelics Use In Oakland - Okayplayer - November 2nd, 2019
- Molecule Catalyst and UTM to crowdfund psychedelics research with blockchain - Decrypt - November 2nd, 2019
- On writing: What illuminates a story? - Big Think - November 2nd, 2019
- The future of psychedelic science - Varsity - October 20th, 2019
- Psychedelic Drugs: Researchers experimenting with active agent in magic mushrooms to treat addiction, depression and anxiety - 60 Minutes - CBS News - October 17th, 2019
- Investors hope psychedelics are the new cannabis. Are they high? - The Economist - October 17th, 2019
- Mind Trip: Psychedelics Fighting Depression, Anxiety, Addiction - The National Herald - October 17th, 2019
- Devon Welsh on Growing a Mustache, Psychedelics, and Other Complicated Things - Interview - October 17th, 2019
- Roland Griffiths: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com - October 17th, 2019
- How Mushrooms Became Magic - The Atlantic - August 25th, 2017
- Using Mushrooms and LSD to Enhance Creativity - How to Use ... - August 20th, 2017
- LSD - Psychedelics - August 16th, 2017
- This Philosopher Thinks Psychedelic Drugs Lead to the Truth of Experience - Big Think - August 16th, 2017
- Can Psychedelics Treat Bipolar Disorder? - August 13th, 2017
- The foundation of Western philosophy is probably rooted in psychedelics - Quartz - August 13th, 2017
- Psychedelic drugs saved my life. So why aren't they prescribed? - Wired.co.uk - August 8th, 2017
- Daniel Greig, Canadian Drug Policy, Responsibilities, and Psychedelics - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- THE FUTURE OF PSYCHEDELICS: Are LSD and Mushrooms The New Prozac? - Dope Magazine - August 5th, 2017
- Gonzo Nieto, Drug Policy, Medical and Psychological Effects - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- For children, it's beyond psychedelics - The Hans India - The Hans India - August 1st, 2017
- Modern psychedelic science is reviving lost research and finding new cures - The Plaid Zebra (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Expanding consciousness - 48 Hills - August 1st, 2017