"When you're looking for a voice, you never know where it's going to come from."
Pete "Merf" Kelleher, one-third of the English production trio TMS, is musing about the runaway success of Lewis Capaldi's sparse and aching "Someone You Loved," which marks the biggest track in their already stacked discography.
"Traditionally, we've definitely been keen to overproduce records and just throw loads of sh-t in there," Kelleher explains to Billboard from the trio's home base in London. "It's really interesting that it's one of our biggest song ever and there's such minimal productions. There have been songs that took us months, meanwhile here we are with our most successful and it's so chill."
Kelleher, alongside cohorts Tom "Froe" Barnes and Ben Kohn, have carved out a unique niche on the charts. The childhood friends initially started out with hip-hop records, but a stint working on the U.K. iteration of The X Factorled them to a collaboration with Little Mix, which then enabled them to dive headfirst into the world of pop. Before long, they were focusing on crafting bubblegum singles for a range of British acts, whether the aforementioned girl group ("Wings" and "DNA"), boy band The Vamps ("Last Night") or singer-songwriter James Arthur ("You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You"). G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha's "Me, Myself and I" also served as an early glimmer of global success, peaking on the Hot 100 at No. 7 in 2016.
But it's with another singer-songwriter, the Scottish-born Capaldi, that the group has enjoyed their most impressive smash. "We've released a lot of stuff, but 'Someone You Loved' felt like a perfect storm," says Kohn of the sleeper hit's critical and commercial success which resulted in three weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and seven weeks atop the chart in the U.K. While it was subsequently nominated for a Grammy, it wound up taking home song of the year honors at the recent Brit Awards, the latter experience being a mixed bag. "Not to totally sh-t on them, but you finally win and (as a producer or songwriter) you're lucky if you even get a seat, and if you get an award you have to pay for it," says Kohn, who noted that sharing the success with Capaldi made the honor a bit sweeter.
"We've all been best friends since we were kids, and to get to that point where you have this mad ride and it culminates in actually winning an award is absolutely mental," says Kelleher of the celebratory night. "Lewis and his team organized a boat trip on the river afterwards with his friends, family and all of us. We were trying to thank him for everything he had done for us and he wasn't having it. He was too busy thanking us. We couldn't get him to accept it."
The slow-burn success of "Someone You Loved," which was released in November 2018 and didn't top the Hot 100 until a few days shy of a full year later (a strategy the trio credits to Capaldi's manager Ryan Walter), mirrored the gradual collaborative process that birthed the future hit. "Our first session with Lewis was in the summer of 2017," remembers Kohn of the creative rendezvous that was set up between Capaldi and their manager Paul Centellas. "The songs we wound up making that day were all above average. Lewis' voice was amazing and there was really good energy, so with all that we knew there was something there." Those initial tracks have yet to see the light of day, and the trio and Capaldi didn't meet again until a year later.
During a third session in August 2018, however, TMS and Capaldi bore tangible fruit. "We wrote another song and then there was a little lull, so we said, 'Let's work on something else for a couple of hours.' Then we made and pretty much finished 'Someone You Loved.'"
"Lewis only did three takes of the chorus and almost every sound you hear in that record was made in those two hours," says Barnes of the rapid fruition, which was also a result of a budget as minimal as its eventual production. (The song is inspired by Capaldi's grandmother, with the singer creating the song's melody 10 minutes prior to his session with TMS.) "Production-wise there's not much in there, but what is, is important," explains Barnes, who also helped Capaldi co-write its tender lyrics with Kohn and Kelleher. "The only thing that was added and taken away was strings. I also think there might have been a hint of a halftime snare for five minutes in my headphones, but it was quickly taken away."
Did the guys think the song would become a milestone in their career? "We write 250 or 300 songs a year," notes Kelleher. "It was another great cut with Lewis, but whenever somebody says 'This is a hit!' what they mean is, 'This is one of the better ones.' Like, so much sh-t has to happen for it to be a hit. It almost didn't make the album."
The trio, who first started concocting tracks a full two decades ago, has no doubt entered a new career phase after the explosive success of "Someone You Loved." With the commercial peak of the Capaldi track behind them, they're now looking forward to the release of a pop record with another yet another English artist: Dua Lipa. TMS is credited with producing Lipa's "Cool" from her upcoming Future Nostalgia, and much like the incongruous journey that birthed "Someone You Loved," "Cool" has faced similar twists and turns.
"We actually started it at a writing camp for Rihanna at (London's) RAK Studios," says Kelleher of the massive opportunity, with TMS working alongside British singer-songwriters Kamille and Shakka. "You turn up with all of your gear and it was promised Rihanna would be there, so we brought our A-game."
While the pop superstar never actually appeared, the enticing possibility of an impending visit pushed the group to concoct four songs within a 12-hour period. "Out of those four, three have been cut," says Kelleher. "One was a Kamille record, one was cut by Gorgon City and then 'Cool' is coming out with Dua. It underwent a rewrite and it's now pretty wildly changed, she made it her own. We're pretty proud of it and can't wait to hear it in the context of the album."
With the "Someone You Loved" cycle coming to a close and a new era dawning, the trio likens their success to a video game. "It's like reaching another level," says Kohn. "You're not worried about the boss you just beat, you're trying to beat the next boss. I think when you're experiencing everything in the moment you're going, 'Wow, that's crazy,' but I don't know how much you're feeling it. It's really about what's next."
Read the original here:
- Odyssey Logistics & Technology TMS Study Reveals Insights Amid the Pandemic on Logistics Technology and Market Conditions - PR Web - August 19th, 2020
- BulkLoads TMS product for bulk commodities will be integrated into Barchart - FreightWaves - August 19th, 2020
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor new car leasing & subscription Program through TMS - United News of India - August 19th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size By Product Analysis, By Application, By End-Users, By Regional Outlook, By Top Companies and Forecast to... - August 19th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 25th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 25th, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Research Manufacturer Landscape, Revenue and Volume Analysis and Segment... - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Live TMS Treatment from NeuroSpa TMS - WFLA - July 15th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 24th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 24th, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 24th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Talent Management Systems (TMS) RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 24th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market: Industry Size, Trends and Analysis - Jewish... - June 24th, 2020
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market Overview, Environmental Analysis and Forecas - News by aeresearch - June 24th, 2020
- Interview: Steve Guttenberg on Into the Dark's Good Boy, Home for the Holidays, and His Craft - The Mary Sue - June 24th, 2020
- Active Recovery TMS Treats Depression Without Medication - KATU - June 1st, 2020
- TMS focuses on digitalisation and business transformation in third Covid-19 Webinar - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime... - June 1st, 2020
- TMS ends the year, honors students with virtual award ceremony - thechronicle-news.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and... - June 1st, 2020
- IndyCar drivers prepare to enter a 'new world' of racing when the season resumes June 6 at Texas Motor Speedway - The Dallas Morning News - June 1st, 2020
- Work begins on Hong Kong rail extension - The Construction Index - June 1st, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Along With Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Outlook 2020-2026 by Magstim , MagVenture ,... - June 1st, 2020
- Alpega's Freight Exchange, Teleroute, launches an API interface and a new mobile App to help their increasing number of customers work even more... - June 1st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the... - May 24th, 2020
- Hilton TMs Save Life of Guest Suffering Heart Attack - Franchising.com - May 24th, 2020
- UltraShipTMS Partners with LeanSwift to Deliver TMS Solutions to Shippers Using Infor M3 ERP - PR Web - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends,... - May 24th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Talent Management Software (TMS) Market Rising Trends and Global Outlook (2020 To 2027) - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- From the First Message to the Last Mile, BluJay's Latest Software Releases Improve Complex Logistics - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2020
- GlobalTranz Recognized as Top Ten Freight Brokerage for a Third Consecutive Year by Transport Topics - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway is hosting high school graduations for the class of 2020 - CNN - May 4th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway to host HS graduation ceremonies - RACER - May 4th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest... - May 4th, 2020
- These Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc.s (TSE:GTMS) Sales Are Under Threat - Simply Wall St - May 4th, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 4th, 2020
- Powerful Optimization Tool from MercuryGate Uniquely Supports the Transportation Industrys Demand to Drive a Disrupted Supply Chain - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2020
- Powerful Optimization Tool from MercuryGate Uniquely Supports the Transportation Industry's Demand to Drive a Disrupted Supply Chain - Business Wire - April 9th, 2020
- Alpega TMS Brings Together the Expertise of inet and Transwide - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- The Remedy Is Now Offering Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS) Therapy to Treat Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and Obsessive-Compulsive... - April 9th, 2020
- Time To Worry? One Analyst Just Downgraded Their EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Outlook - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Valiant latest Canadian supplier to add to arsenal of health, free of charge - Automotive News Canada - April 9th, 2020
- No interest in Texas IndyCar race without fans - The Union Journal - April 9th, 2020
- Can EDAP TMS S.A.'s (NASDAQ:EDAP) ROE Continue To Surpass The Industry Average? - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- EKA Solutions Announces TMS Offer for Brokers to Operate their Business Entirely Remotely - The Herald Journal - March 31st, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- Jeremy Hudson Named to the 2020 Food Logistics Champions: Rock Stars of the Supply Chain - Benzinga - March 31st, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 24th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BRIN.TA earnings conference call or presentation 23-Mar-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 24th, 2020
- A Drive To Investigate: Full Genesect Special Research Tasks, Steps And Rewards In Pokmon GO - Forbes - March 24th, 2020
- The Transportation Management System (TMS) MARKET is expected to grow by USD 1.62 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 9% during the forecast... - March 5th, 2020
- GO Battle League Season 1: Everything You Need to Know - Pokemon GO Hub - March 5th, 2020
- Pokemon Go Elite TMs and How to Get the Best Use out of Them - Future Game Releases - March 5th, 2020
- Massive growth of Preservation TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2025 with high CAGR In Coming Years with Focusing Key players like... - March 5th, 2020
- Lindsay Luetje goes above and beyond as Telstar dean - Lewiston Sun Journal - March 5th, 2020
- What Is A Game Localization System And What Can It Do For You? [Part 1] - Gamasutra - March 5th, 2020
- BrainsWay to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Make Your Workflow Smooth and Effective! This New System is the Key - Slator - February 29th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2019-2025 - Jewish Life News - February 29th, 2020
- San Francisco Bay Area Psychiatric Acquisition Will Increase Access to Advanced Care - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Clean Energy appoints Total S.A. executive to board of directors - LNG Industry - February 29th, 2020
- Before You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP), Consider Its Volatility - Simply Wall St - February 29th, 2020
- Troy 30-C coach named 2020 Distinguished Middle School Coach of the Year - The Herald-News - February 29th, 2020
- Global Truckmount Carpet Cleaner Market Size Is Anticipated To Witness Over XX% CAGR Up To 2024 TMS Cleaning Supplies & Equipment, Aero Tech... - February 29th, 2020
- TMS individual race tickets officially on sale - Speedway Digest - January 18th, 2020
- MGR songs stay fresh even today thanks to TMS - News Today - January 18th, 2020
- Global Supply Chain Management Software Market 2020-2024 | 11% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - January 18th, 2020
- The Masked Singers Davina McCall Reveals Upcoming Surprises On The Show! [VIDEO] - Talent Recap - January 18th, 2020
- The Morning Show and life after #MeToo - The Hindu - January 18th, 2020
- Trimble to Acquire Kuebix in effort to create a transportation logistics ecosystem - The Trucker - January 18th, 2020
- Psychiatrist to shutter outpatient practice - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - December 13th, 2019