JERSEY CITY, N.J. (CBSNewYork) The Port Authority previously said it was going to cancel the carpool discount at the Hudson River crossings, but after several CBS2 stories and push-back from local leaders it is revising that decision.
The discount gets you half off at the Holland and Lincoln tunnels and George Washington Bridge. The Port Authority said the discount has to go when cashless tolling arrives, claiming technology doesnt exist to monitor how many people are in each car.
But that doesnt seem to be the case.
Port Authority carpool lane pickup (Photo: CBS2)
The technology exists and is actually being used right now in California, Massachusetts and Georgia, Rep. Josh Gottheimer said.
Following multiple CBS2 reports and criticism from local leaders, the Port Authority decided to keep the discount temporarily and as of Thursday will in fact look into technology that works.
If it in fact pans out to be real, and something we can rely upon, we will take it seriously, Port Authority Chairman Kevin OToole said.
MORE:Demanding Answers: Gov. Murphy Vows To Speak With Port Authority About Plan To Scrap Carpool Discount
Port Authority officials said the tunnels and bridges saw record numbers in 2019. Others said if the carpool discount was promoted it could relieve some of that traffic.
Also, the Port Authority chairman would not directly answer Baker when asked about whether the agency would finally start promoting awareness of the carpool program. However, he did contradict Executive Director Rick Cotton who previously said few people carpool.
Carpooling is actually fairly well used. I mean, its what, 3% of the folks use it. I think people do notice and actually by moving this, moving the goal posts here, it is going to cost us about $17 million, so there is an impact to this. So, I think it is prominent, OToole said.
Its green. Its great for the environment. Its great for Manhattan to stop all the congestion, added Carol Cooper of Closter.
FLASHBACK: Port Authority: We Care About The Environment, But Still Taking Away The Carpool Discount, Hiking Fares
The Port Authority is hoping to eliminate manned toll booths by 2021, giving the agency a year to find a way to save the carpool discount, if it wants to.
Congressman Gottheimer said eliminating the carpool lane would cost New Jersey residents thousands of extra dollars a year in new tolls, add more cars to the bridges and tunnels and increase air pollution.
- How Digital Signage and Wayfinding Technology are Evolving to Meet Post-Pandemic Needs - Digital Signage Connection - August 31st, 2020
- 'Thinking Forward' to Harness the Technology of Today for a Better Tomorrow - Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) - August 31st, 2020
- 20 ways to beat China with technology, culture and policy - FierceElectronics - August 31st, 2020
- Smart Eye Technology Launches the World's Only Screen Privacy and Document Security Platform - PRNewswire - August 31st, 2020
- Carnegie Robotics Launches Thoro.ai to Commercialize Robotics Technology for Autonomous Cleaning and Disinfection - Daily Local News - August 31st, 2020
- From a buzz to biz lever: How new technology is becoming central in a post-Covid world - Economic Times - August 31st, 2020
- Vodafone Institute: Empowering women worldwide with technology - The F-LANE social ventures accelerator kicks-off its 2020 programme with 10... - August 31st, 2020
- South China Morning Post Appoints John Artman as the Technology Editor - Editor And Publisher Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- Technology is changing the face of education. Here's how - World Economic Forum - August 31st, 2020
- The new technology innovations to expand geothermal energy use in Europe - Euronews - August 31st, 2020
- Netflix: Top 15 Technology Skills and 10 Jobs It Wants - Dice Insights - August 31st, 2020
- Unum Therapeutics Transfers BOXR Cell-Based Therapy Technology to SOTIO - PRNewswire - August 31st, 2020
- Elon Musks Neuralink is neuroscience theater - MIT Technology Review - August 31st, 2020
- Genesis MedTech Acquires World-first Drug-coated Balloon Technology with Next-generation Angioplasty Architecture for the Treatment of Peripheral... - August 31st, 2020
- Advances in technology provide new data on the topography of the Haines State Forest - KHNS Radio - August 31st, 2020
- Global Anti-Counterfeit Packaging Market by Technology, End-use Industry and Region - Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - August 31st, 2020
- Technology is helping Omahans 'swipe right' on love in a time of social distancing - Omaha World-Herald - August 31st, 2020
- Being on forefront of technology to help wounded veterans earns Holbert invitation to Republican National Convention - Blade Empire - August 31st, 2020
- MVRDV and Delft University of Technology Release "Le Grand Puzzle", an Urban Study of Marseille in the South of France - ArchDaily - August 31st, 2020
- The World Needs American Leadership in Setting the Technological Standards of the Future - Nextgov - August 31st, 2020
- CoilPod LLC Announces Allowance of Patent on Technology to Detect Coil Fouling in Refrigeration Units - ACHR NEWS - August 31st, 2020
- Is the Gig Up? Worker Misclassification in the Technology Age - JD Supra - August 31st, 2020
- Global Ammonium Persulfate Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, and Application - GlobeNewswire - August 31st, 2020
- Memers are making deepfakes, and things are getting weird - MIT Technology Review - August 31st, 2020
- Could You Survive Driving Without Modern Technology? - The Drive - July 19th, 2020
- ProScan Moves to New Crestview Hills Office, Adds New Technology - The River City News - July 19th, 2020
- TechCrunch talks virtual events and event technology - TechCrunch - July 19th, 2020
- How An Under 30 Alum Got His Startups Technology For Stabilizing Helicopter Baskets Into This Years National Defense Authorization Act - Forbes - July 19th, 2020
- Call for UK task force to drive adoption of new technology - New Civil Engineer - July 19th, 2020
- Huawei 5G kit must be removed from UK by 2027 - BBC News - July 19th, 2020
- FG Urged to Adopt Technology in Tackling Corruption - THISDAY Newspapers - July 19th, 2020
- Advancements in Technology to Aid the Growth of the Semantic Knowledge Graphing Market Over the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Global Irreversible Electroporation Ablators Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and Key Players| AngioDynamics, Pulse Biosciences, and... - July 19th, 2020
- Lancashire aircraft makers team up with motor racing specialists on battery technology - Blackpool Gazette - July 19th, 2020
- Twitter Wouldnt Be Hacked If It Were Backed by Blockchain Technology - Cointelegraph - July 19th, 2020
- Global Social Networking Services Market Global Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation And Emerging Trends Outlook To 2026 - Cole of... - July 19th, 2020
- Gartner reveals Top Supply Chain Technology Trends in 2020 - Which-50 - July 19th, 2020
- Microsoft Targets Consulting Services For Higher-Risk Projects And New Technologies - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - July 19th, 2020
- Apple CEO Tim Cook on the nexus of technology and social change - CBS News - June 21st, 2020
- From Microsoft to the iPhone, getting technology right for 25 years - CNET - June 21st, 2020
- With schools closed, immigrant communities struggle with access to technology and connection - Summit Daily News - June 21st, 2020
- Ford's electric Mustang will offer hands-free driving technology next year - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Carbon capture technology is an elusive dream - The Durango Herald - June 21st, 2020
- Microsoft and SAS announce deep technology partnership - TechCrunch - June 21st, 2020
- Why tech didnt save us from covid-19 - MIT Technology Review - June 21st, 2020
- China and India need each other. Just look at technology - CNN - June 21st, 2020
- Expert view: Technology is a blessing and a curse when it comes to global cybersecurity threats - Stockhead - June 21st, 2020
- Scientists split over which disease to put in 6G technology - The Big Smoke Australia - June 21st, 2020
- Inside the NBA's plan to use smart technology and big data to keep players safe from coronavirus - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- The West is being naive about China's use of technology in this looming cold war - iNews - June 21st, 2020
- Leonardo and Intermarine to research and develop new technologies - Naval Technology - June 21st, 2020
- While Dems and GOP squabble over extending $600 unemployment benefits, outdated technology may slow any solution - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- Intl. Conference on Recent Trends in Science and Technology held - Star of Mysore - June 21st, 2020
- Methyl Glucose Market by Technology, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- NHS Covid app developers 'tried to block rival symptom trackers' - The Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: 5 technologies inspired by the pandemic - The National - June 21st, 2020
- Technology Will Not Save Us - The New York Times - May 2nd, 2020
- Amid a new technology normal, gaps and gratitude for the devices that sustain us - Citizen Times - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Technology: Commonly Used Terms - EFF - May 2nd, 2020
- Salon turns to dry fog technology to kill coronavirus ahead of reopening - FOX 31 Denver - May 2nd, 2020
- A brief history of video and technology in baseball, and how it helped teams steal signs - The Boston Globe - May 2nd, 2020
- How South Korea has used tech to successfully contain COVID-19 - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 2nd, 2020
- AI proven to be invaluable technology during pandemic - Khaleej Times - May 2nd, 2020
- The Use Of Technology And Future Of Work Has Changed Because Of COVID-19 - caribbeannationalweekly.com - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on the Airport Operations Market by Technology and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - May 2nd, 2020
- Apple must expand its COVID tracing technology into large scale testing - AppleInsider - May 2nd, 2020
- A 'pandemic drone' and other technology could help limit the spread of coronavirus and ease restrictions sooner, but at what cost? - ABC News - May 2nd, 2020
- Highlights from Hegeman: Getting rural Missouri the technology it needs - The Maryville Forum - May 2nd, 2020
- 15-year-olds life mission preserved through foundation providing technology to children in need - NJ.com - May 2nd, 2020
- The US already has the technology to test millions of people a day - MIT Technology Review - May 2nd, 2020
- Electric Car BYD Han To Have More Range With New Battery Technology - Fossbytes - May 2nd, 2020
- The neuroscience of loneliness and how technology is helping us - The Next Web - May 2nd, 2020
- Stimulus checks and other coronavirus relief hindered by dated technology and rocky government rollout - SF Gate - April 23rd, 2020
- Australias Fire Season Ends, and Researchers Look to the Next One - The New York Times - April 23rd, 2020
- US lawmaker says any COVID-19 contact tracing technology should be voluntary and limited - Gadgets Now - April 23rd, 2020
- Summerside convention brings new technology to the field - The Guardian - April 23rd, 2020
- 'Alexa turn on the lights;' how to add smart technology to your home - SW News Media - April 18th, 2020
- How Las Cruces Public Schools is providing technology to 1 in 5 students who need it - KVIA El Paso - April 18th, 2020
- China's strategy to reorient US tech companies is exposed what next? | TheHill - The Hill - April 18th, 2020
- How China used technology to combat COVID-19 and tighten its grip on citizens - Amnesty International - April 18th, 2020