By Philip Pullella
BARI, Italy (Reuters) - Pope Francis on Sunday warned against "inequitable solutions" to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, saying they would only be a prelude to new crises, in an apparent reference to U.S. President Donald Trump's Middle East peace proposal.
Francis made his comments in the southern Italian port city of Bari, where he traveled to conclude a meeting of bishops from all countries in the Mediterranean basin.
"The Mediterranean region is currently threatened by outbreaks of instability and conflict, both in the Middle East and different countries of North Africa, as well as between various ethnic, religious or confessional groups," Francis said.
"Nor can we overlook the still unresolved conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, with the danger of inequitable solutions and, hence, a prelude to new crises," he said.
The participants included Archbishop Pierbattista Pizzaballa, the head of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, whose jurisdiction includes Israel, the Palestinian territories and Jordan.
It was believed to be the first time the pope, who has often defended both Palestinian rights and Israel's need for security, has spoken in public about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict since Trump announced the plan on Jan. 28.
The plan would recognize Israel's authority over West Bank Jewish settlements and require Palestinians meet a series of conditions for a state, with its capital in a West Bank village east of Jerusalem.
Although Trump's stated aim was to end decades of conflict, his plan favored Israel, underlined by the Palestinians' absence from his White House announcement with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at his side.
The Palestinians and Arab League foreign ministers have rejected the plan and the Palestinian Authority has cut all ties with the United States and Israel.
Palestinians, with broad international backing, want East Jerusalem as the capital of a future independent state, while Israel views the whole city its "united and eternal" capital.
The pope expressed concern in 2018 when the United States announced the moving of its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, saying the city's "status quo" should be respected. Francis has called for all to honor U.N. resolutions on the city.
"There is no reasonable alternative to peace, because every attempt at exploitation or supremacy demeans both its author and its target. It shows a myopic grasp of reality, since it can offer no future to either of the two," Francis said, speaking in general about the Middle East.
Francis again warned against populist politicians who he said used "demagogic terms" such as "invasion" when talking of migration.
"To be sure, acceptance and a dignified integration are stages in a process that is not easy. Yet it is unthinkable that we can address the problem by putting up walls," he said.
(Reporting By Philip Pullella. Editing by Jane Merriman)
- Oil Trades at Six-Week High on Supply Cuts and Demand Recovery - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 15th, 2020
- FBI serves warrant on senator in investigation of stock sales linked to coronavirus - Yahoo Parenting - May 15th, 2020
- Man and woman 'found walking on road with body parts in suitcases' - Yahoo News Australia - May 15th, 2020
- Moscow says it ascribed over 60% of coronavirus deaths in April to other causes - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Ahmaud Arbery's killing was heinous, but it wasn't a surprise - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- The pandemic may have solved MLB's most polarizing debate: Get ready for the universal DH - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Philippines evacuates hundreds of thousands as typhoon makes landfall - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Scientists want to investigate if mouthwash kills the infection - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 15th, 2020
- Former MLB manager Art Howe in ICU with coronavirus - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Surviving the coronavirus is one thing. Recovering is another - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Why 14.7% unemployment doesnt tell the whole story: Yahoo U - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- TSMC to Build Chip Plant in Arizona With Government Support - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 14th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What American workers should know about their rights as the economy reopens - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Companies are dropping big hints about the 'new normal' once coronavirus lockdowns end - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- Wuhan reopened last month. Now, new coronavirus infections spark mass testing and renewed fears - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Why this inactive slugger might be MLB's highest-paid player in 2020 - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Goodbye offices? Working from home might be here to stay - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Ahmaud Arbery: What do we know about the case? - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Rand Paul: Pandemic Response Marred by Wrong Prediction after Wrong Prediction - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Report: Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland will not return to ESPN's MNF booth - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- UFC 249 delivers a welcome distraction from pandemic-afflicted world - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- 'More than sufficient probable cause' in US killing of black jogger - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Jerry Stiller's death has a baseball star from the 1990s unexpectedly trending - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Sources: NBA commissioner Adam Silver says 'there will be a series of bad options' regarding continuation of season - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Supreme Court appears split on whether Congress and prosecutors can see Trump's tax returns - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Tom Brady slams report claiming his relationship with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels had deteriorated - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows mixed reactions to Biden's handling of Tara Reade assault claim - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, 53, teases comeback: 'It may not be over yet' - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Karl-Anthony Towns shares message from mom on Mother's Day after losing her to coronavirus - Yahoo Sports - May 11th, 2020
- These U.S. cities are best positioned to bounce back from the coronavirus pandemic, according to Moody's - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Tony Ferguson suffered orbital fracture in UFC 249 loss to Justin Gaethje - Yahoo Sports - May 11th, 2020
- LeBron James says Jerry West would average 24-27 points a game in todays NBA - Yahoo Sports - May 11th, 2020
- Northeast China hit by coronavirus infections, Wuhan reports new case - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- What to look for in the fourth stimulus bill - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Pandemic modelers expect loosening restrictions to lead to coronavirus case increase in coming weeks - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- Bizarre 'dragon' creatures found washed up on beach - Yahoo News Australia - May 11th, 2020
- How one doctor is fighting coronavirus and Trump - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- Mail-In Ballots Are a Recipe for Confusion, Coercion, and Fraud - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- Neighbor of father and son arrested in Ahmaud Arbery killing is also under investigation - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2020
- MLB reportedly cuts draft to five rounds in cost-cutting measure - Yahoo Sports - May 11th, 2020
- More Clorox disinfecting wipes are on the way to fight COVID-19: CEO - Yahoo Money - May 11th, 2020
- Lockdown will be extended for another three weeks, Nicola Sturgeon reveals - Yahoo News UK - May 11th, 2020
- Oil Resumes Rally With Prices Doubling Over Last Five Days - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Natural Gas Breaks $2.00 On Upside Rally and Next Target - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Italy eases virus lockdown, and gets first reckoning of toll - Yahoo News - May 6th, 2020
- The University of Illinois made a prophetic insurance bet in 2017 - Yahoo Money - May 6th, 2020
- Beyond Meat earnings beat expectations, founder says it's the plant-based meat 'industry's moment' - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- The Trump administration is privately estimating the daily coronavirus death rate will double in the next month - Yahoo News - May 6th, 2020
- Reopening states will cause 233,000 more people to die from coronavirus, according to Wharton model - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- NFL to release 2020 schedule in 3-hour special on Thursday - Yahoo Sports - May 6th, 2020
- As states push ahead with reopening, CDC warns coronavirus cases and deaths are set to soar - Yahoo News - May 6th, 2020
- Clorox has seen 500% increases in demand during the COVID-19 pandemic: CEO - Yahoo News - May 6th, 2020
- NYSE trading floor vet on why hes much more productive and profitable working at home - Yahoo Money - May 6th, 2020
- Is Now the Right Time to Invest in Boeing Stock? 5-Star Analyst Weighs In - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Gareth Evans reveals pitch for his 'lean, visceral' Deathstroke movie that never happened (exclusive) - Yahoo Finance UK - May 6th, 2020
- Did NFL teams meet their top offseason roster needs? Here's a look back - Yahoo Sports - May 6th, 2020
- What is a recession: Yahoo U - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Buffett: 'I would disagree quite violently' with notion that passive investing is dead - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- A KBO primer: Here's what you need to know to enjoy the return of baseball in South Korea - Yahoo Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Meat Shortages Leave Wendys Diners Asking, Wheres the Beef? - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2020
- Corey Davis' fifth-year option declined, 4 of top 5 picks from 2017 draft have been disappointing - Yahoo Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Bill Gates: 'We're in big trouble' until the U.S. has better coronavirus testing - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus will change how stuff gets to you - Yahoo Money - April 11th, 2020
- Phillies' Zack Wheeler has best possible reason to dislike proposed isolated MLB season - Yahoo Sports - April 11th, 2020
- New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows coronavirus hitting the working class much harder than the wealthy - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- Yahoo Sports and the Women's Sports Foundation launch #WeKeepPlaying - Verizon Communications - April 11th, 2020
- Buchenwald concentration camp marks 75th anniversary of its liberation - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- The promise of COVID-19 antibody testing - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- Exclusive: Russia collecting intelligence on U.S. supply line failures amid coronavirus crisis, DHS warns - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- Two thirds of COVID-19 patients improve after Gilead drug - NEJM - Yahoo Money - April 11th, 2020
- Tom Brady talks Donald Trump with Howard Stern: 'Political support is totally different than the support of a friend' - Yahoo Sports - April 11th, 2020
- Trump escalates battle with World Health Organization over coronavirus response - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- Colton Underwood says 'Bachelor' producers 'crossed the line' by meddling in his relationship with Cassie Randolph - Yahoo Entertainment - April 11th, 2020
- He smiled to comfort his COVID-19 patient - then he realized his mask was leaking - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- US shares see their biggest weekly gain in 46 years - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- Terry Bradshaw doesnt think Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time - Yahoo Sports - April 11th, 2020
- Fox News says the coronavirus death toll is inflated. Experts say the opposite. - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- JPMorgans Dimon: 'There should have been a pandemic playbook' - Yahoo News - April 11th, 2020
- Federal Reserve to temporarily lift asset cap on Wells Fargo to spur emergency small business lending - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2020
- Why PepsiCo is hiring 6,000 full-time US workers during the coronavirus pandemic - Yahoo Money - March 24th, 2020