NASSAU, BAHAMAS Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis yesterday announced that 36 privately-owned preschools will be awarded funding of up to $25,000 each as the Ministry of Education remains committed to its universal preschool strategy.
Speaking at the Access Accelerator Small Business Development Centres (SBDC) Presentation of Grants for Preschool Owners at the SMDC Gladstone Road Freight Terminal, the prime minister said the goal of providing grants to expand privately-owned preschools is to make more seats available for preschoolers, and to enable the government to meet its targets to achieve universal preschool education.
I am very happy to be here today for this grant ceremony that will help to advance our vision of universal preschool education, said Minnis.
We are focused on assisting with the development of the physical infrastructure to facilitate universal preschool. Toward this end, one million dollars will be made available for preschools directors.
He added, Let me congratulate and encourage those who are receiving these grants. I wish you well in your endeavors to help in the nurturing and growth of our preschoolers.
Minnis said the funds will facilitate the opening new preschools, the expansion of existing facilities or the improvement of standards at an existing preschool facility; and also said the emphasis is on neighborhoods where there are fast-growing populations and where the need is great for preschool seats.
Around 3,300 vouchers valued at approximately $6.6 million have been distributed to over 100 privately-owned preschools for the three academic years of 2018/2019 to 2020/2021, according to Minnis.
He also said that since 2018, approximately 1,825 new preschool seats were made available in a program over the two academic years of 2018/2019 and 2019/2020, and that the Ministry of Education is currently still enrolling preschoolers for the 2020 academic year, notwithstanding the present challenges of COVID-19.
The Family Islands are part of The Bahamas, too
Minnis also reaffirmed the governments commitment that any educator with preschool knowledge who is qualified and wants to open a preschool on a Family Island will be given the same benefits as those on New Providence.
I want to remind the Family Islands that they are a part of The Bahamas and they, too, should be given the same benefits and the same advantages as here in New Providence, he said.
We have made a commitment to the Family Islands so that their preschoolers will also able to take advantage of this educational grant and that preschool education is provided.
Minnis said the government will provide free of charge the land for any preschool being constructed on a Family Island, and that the government will remove all forms of duty and provide all of the concessions to ensure the school is built so that Family Islanders may take advantage.
He said the government will ensure that the SBDC will have sufficient funds to provide the grants to those individuals so that they can get started.
The prime minister also briefly noted four other major objectives to improve learning outcomes for children and young people living in The Bahamas, including strengthening literacy by improving student learning outcomes in English at the third-grade level.
We are increasing the high school graduation rate by improving student learning outcomes for the Bahamas high school criteria, said Minnis.
According to the prime minister, the government began a digital transformation program for the government-operated school system by upgrading the internet infrastructure and Wi-Fi connectivity in all schools and by providing digital devices for students and teachers.
He stated that the government also launched a school modernization program through the construction, renovation and expansion of existing schools to accommodate additional classrooms.
Go here to see the original:
- The Bahamas Welcomes Visitors With Even More Ways To Travel This Summer - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- NFL stars converge on the Bahamas to soak up the sun - Page Six - April 23rd, 2021
- No Bahamas team for the World Relays - Bahamas Tribune - April 23rd, 2021
- TURBULENCE: Parts of Bahamas see tornados and waterspouts - EyeWitness News - April 23rd, 2021
- Bahamas Petroleum to reset and rebrand as Challenger Energy Group - Proactive Investors UK - April 23rd, 2021
- American Airlines announces service expansion to The Bahamas | New York Carib News - NYCaribNews - April 23rd, 2021
- GAINING MOMENTUM: MSC Cruises could be third major cruise line this year to start homeporting in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 23rd, 2021
- The Bahamas International Travel Information - April 21st, 2021
- The Best Bahamas Vacation Packages 2021 - Tripadvisor - April 21st, 2021
- CDC Updates Bahamas Travel Advisory, What's the Impact on Cruises? - Cruise Hive - April 21st, 2021
- CDC Raises Warning, Advises Against Traveling to Bahamas - Cruise Radio - April 21st, 2021
- 'DON'T GO THERE': U.S. puts Bahamas back on top level alert as cases rise - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- Why vacationing in the Bahamas now is a dream come true - New York Post - April 21st, 2021
- The Island of Grand Bahama Is Heating Up Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - April 21st, 2021
- Sandals Planning Renovation at Bahamas All-Inclusive Resort - Caribbean Journal - April 21st, 2021
- Man killed in plane crash off The Bahamas - Nation News - April 21st, 2021
- Sandals celebrates 25 year in the Bahamas with multi-million-dollar renovation - Travelweek - April 21st, 2021
- Bahamas to research mental wellbeing of seafarers ShipInsight - ShipInsight - April 21st, 2021
- Bryan and Sarah Baeumler on reopening their Bahamas resort after the pandemic halted all operations - Post City - April 21st, 2021
- From emergency to recovery: Delivering water, sanitation, and hygiene - Mercy Corps - April 21st, 2021
- IN JEOPARDY: BHTA president warns against apathy and COVID fatigue injuring tourism industry rebound - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Son dead and father in hospital after Bimini crash - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- FACE TO FACE: Setting out the path to giving women a fairer deal - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- Bimini plane crash leaves son dead and father in hospital - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Three men arrested and charged for illegal landing following viral video showing migrants living in bus - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Vaccinations resume on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- FULLY RECOVERED: Commodore King says small function unlikely source of COVID exposure - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Sology Solutions and Open Systems Technologies International (Bahamas) Limited Partner to Drive Technology Innovation and Create Jobs in the Bahamas -... - April 13th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean is working to get more flight options to the Bahamas - Royal Caribbean Blog - April 13th, 2021
- Disney in 75 percent fleet visit promise to The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- The Bahamas sends its condolences after the death of Prince Philip - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- RUM BUSINESS BOOST: Bahamas rum exports to benefit from over $110M in EU-supported trade development for the Caribbean - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- GOALPOST: Bahamas aiming to vaccinate 80 percent of population to achieve herd immunity against COVID - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- Central Bank of Bahamas shares updates on Sand dollar CBDC progress - The Paypers - April 13th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: A dear friend of The Bahamas dies - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- ON THE BANDWAGON: More than 10K people in The Bahamas vaccinated against COVID so far - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- KILLINGS ON THE RISE: Murders up 56 percent in Q1 - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- NRA trial opens window on secretive leader's life and work - The Associated Press - April 13th, 2021
- Lewis opens Job Ready Programme in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Brianne: 'Bahamas could win this 4 x 4, we could win' - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- 'WE'RE HUMAN TOO': Shanty town residents hit out at authorities on tactics employed in raid - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- TENTATIVE APPROVAL: Survey shows support for cannabis use for religious purposes, but with restrictions - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- VERY SERIOUS AND TROUBLING MATTER: Officials hone in on trend of marijuana edibles in schools - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- Crystal Symphony Will Be the First Ship to Ever Homeport in Antigua & Barbuda - Travel Market Report - April 13th, 2021
- DIANE PHILLIPS: Man's best friend - then it's time we started treating them properly - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Best Cruises You Can Take This Summer - Cruise Fever - April 13th, 2021
- Grandad who started business from nothing has 100m 'could buy island in the Bahamas' - Birmingham Live - April 13th, 2021
- What's New In The Islands Of The Bahamas In April - PRNewswire - April 6th, 2021
- When is the best time to go to The Bahamas - Lonely Planet Travel News - April 6th, 2021
- Embarrassing state report on The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- TRYP Air Charter takes flight to the islands of The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- Florida's Senators Continue the Fight to Stop Drilling off the Bahamas - Florida Daily - April 6th, 2021
- Teresa Giudice's Daughters Glowed in Gorgeous Easter Outfits in the Bahamas - Yahoo Entertainment - April 6th, 2021
- STRICTER MEASURES: Travelers from Harbour Island & Eleuthera to rest of Bahamas must have negative RT-PCR test - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- REINFORCEMENTS: COVID-19 vaccines from COVAX Facility touchdown in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- BY THE NUMBERS: PLP says it's impossible to have parity with current boundaries - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- PLAY FAIR: BCC says campaigning and public events should be treated equally - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- Concern mounts on possible third wave - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- Perfect Day@CocoCay manager reflects on year of suspended sailing - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- BEST BEHAVIOR: PM cautions Easter activities and cases will guide future restrictions - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- Guyana recovers from opening round loss to T&T with big 4-0 win over Bahamas - sportsmax.tv - April 6th, 2021
- Restoration work completed at Grand Bahama's Genesis Academy - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- Post-Pandemic, the Caribbean needs to present a new face to the world - The Parliament Magazine - April 6th, 2021
- Cameron Riley wins the first individual title of his NCAA career - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- Bahamas Links With The Secret Sisters For Half Your Love From Live To Tape Series - uDiscover Music - March 31st, 2021
- Private island in the Bahamas goes up for auction Friday - Islander News.com - March 31st, 2021
- Joe Giudice Twins With His Daughters During Their Reunion in the Bahamas - Bravo - March 31st, 2021
- Bahamas ambassador talks climate initiatives at the American Chamber of Commerce to the EU meeting - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- TRANSNATIONAL CRIME: $3.1 million cocaine bust on Eleuthera believed to have overseas connections - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- PAHO: Bahamas will not receive shipment this week - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2021
- Bahamas endures 4-0 loss to St Kitts and Nevis at home - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2021
- Gia Giudice Shows Her Incredible Bikini Collection While Visiting Joe in the Bahamas - Bravo - March 31st, 2021
- Soccer: SKN Remain Unbeaten with Win Over Bahamas - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - March 31st, 2021
- Ex-Bahamas broker in new US accusations - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2021
- ROUND TWO: BPC looks to continue oil exploration in The Bahamas for another three years - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccines to arrive this week Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- The Bahamas Re-Welcomes Travelers to the Caribbean - Vax-Before-Travel - March 31st, 2021
- STILL WAITING: Dahl-Regis says PAHO due to receive The Bahamas' vaccine allotment on April 4 - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- COVID vaccines rolled out on Eleuthera; further expansion set for next week - EyeWitness News - March 31st, 2021
- Tourism must be 'realistic' over vaccination roll-out - Bahamas Tribune - March 31st, 2021