One month after Hurricane Dorian hammered the Bahamas, survivors share amazing tales of surviving Category 5 storm & heartbreak over losing loved ones Andrew West and H. Leo Kim, Fort Myers News-Press
NASSAU, Bahamas On a recent sunny afternoon, Nassau's famed strawmarket was bustling as crowds carrying Carnival cruise tote bags oohed and aahed over the hand-made purses and hats.
Four behemoth ships were dockedin the Bahamian capital's port, with more scheduled to arrive the following day, reports the News-Press, which is part of the USA TODAY Network.
Yes, the capital has become a hub for hurricane helpers and displaced people since Hurricane Dorian walloped the islands Sept. 1, but it has the capacity to bend to accommodate them without breaking.
Even as he begged the world to come to his countrys aid by stabilizing the climate, the Bahamian prime minister couldnt help but wax poetical about his nations naturally warm aquamarine and jade waters.
Want to help?: Visit the Bahamas' to help islands recover from Hurricane Dorian
A bus transports cruise tourists from the boat docks to downtown Nassau, Bahamas three weeks after Hurricane Dorian.(Photo: Andrew West/The USA Today Network-Florida)
In his address last week to the United Nations general assembly, Hubert Minnis said Hurricane Dorians devastation should serve asan urgent warning that his archipelago and all coastal communities are endangered bywhat he called the global climate emergency thegreatest challenge facing humanity.
Macro and micro: Climate change is shaping life choices and affecting mental health
But later in the speech, Minnis made another plea to the world: Please come and visit one or more of the 14 other major islands in the Bahamas not affected by Hurricane Dorian, including Nassau on the island of New Providence, he said. The revenue from tourists visiting the Bahamas will play a vital role in reconstructing and rebuilding the affected areas, sentiments echoed by tourism officials throughout the island nation.
A recent meeting in the luxe lobby of Paradise Island's Baha Mar resort illustrated how tourism and recovery can go together.
Creative help: Bahamas bachelorette party turns into mission trip
As slot machines jingled and flashedbehind them, Naples couple Patty and Christina Amandiswaited for Mia Campbell and familyto arrive. Patty, a Naples, Florida DJ, has been coming to enjoy the Bahamas since she was a kid and estimates she's visitedbetween 30 and 40 times.
But the couple's visit to the islands last week was different: It was a mission trip. The two Naples residents traveledto the waterfront resort, just over a bridge from Nassau, to give away themore than 100 pounds of hurricane help they'd gathered in Florida and hauled to the Bahamas.
In depth: Bahamas struggles to right itself a month after Category 5 Dorian brutalized islands
"We love the Bahamas andthe Bahamian people, and this is our chance togive back," Patty said.
Nassau resident Mia Campbell, originally from the hard-hit Abaco islands, tearily hugged the Amandises and assured them their help would reach those who most need it.
Be like the Amandises, says the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation, because the best way to help the islandsrecover is by helping them conduct their tourism business as usual.
By the numbers: Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas
Its not that the Bahamas want the rest of the world to forget what happened when the Category 5 monster tore through the Abacos and Grand Bahama islands its that they want it to remember that 14 of its 16 main islands are perfectly fine and open for business.
More: Dorian's legacy: The slowest, strongest hurricane to ever hit the Bahamas
The commonwealths last official census in 2010 counted 351,461 residents, with the countrys projections for 2019 at 391,000,though some organizations place that closer to 400,000. Of those, two thirds live in the capital city of Nassau (theyre known as Nassuvians) on theisland of New Providence.
Since the storm, those numbers have increased by as much as 10,000, butNational Emergency Management Agency Director Capt. Stephen Russell said Nassuvians will make room.
Like Minnis, Russel wants the world to focus on all thatNassau and the Bahamas other islands have to offer.
"We are open for business," he said. "That's what the world needs to know."
Indeed, the Bahamas recovery hinges on the success of the tourism sector some 60% of Bahamas GDP, according to theInter-American Development Bank. That number is the highestof any Caribbean nation, which is whylast weeks just-inked deal with Carnival HollandAmerica Line was such good news for the Bahamas government and such a relief, considering it happened three weeks after Dorian.
Bahamas help: Carnival loads Liberty cruise ship with relief supplies for hurricane victims
Visitors stroll through downtown Nassau, Bahamas near the cruise ship docks on Sunday, September 22, 2019. Three weeks after Hurricane Dorian slammed the islands north of Nassau, the island is still open to its main source of income, tourism.(Photo: Andrew West/The USA Today Network-Florida)
The agreement calls for a $100 million port to be built on Grand Bahama as well as $80 million in enhancements to the companys private Half Moon Cay, including a massive pier that will enable the island to accommodate larger ships. One of those will be Carnivals still-under-construction Mardi Gras, the first cruise liner to be run on liquefied natural gas.
The agreement shows the Bahamas are "full speed ahead," Minnis said.
As deputy director general of the tourism ministry, Ellison Thompson told USA TODAY earlier this month: "The Bahamas is a country of 700 islands and cays beginning 50 miles off the Florida coast and stretching for 750 miles from Bimini in the north to Inagua in the south," said Thompson."The distance between these areas are similar to the distance between Philadelphia and New York.
"IfNYC has an issue, it doesn't affect Philadelphia."
Case in point, the experience the Amandises had at Baha Mar. As Patty looked around at the casino floor, the cafe, the scenic overlook abovethe turquoise waters below, she summed up the scene in a single word: "Paradise."
Map of the Bahamas and Florida.(Photo: USA TODAY NETWORK)
16: Main islands in the Bahamas
14: Islands open for business
$180 million:Port investments pledged by Carnival Corporation in Freeport and Half Moon Cay
60: Percent of the Bahamas' gross domestic product supportedby tourism
6.6 million: Foreign visitors to the Bahamas last year
17: Percent increase from the previous year
Sources: Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation,Carnival Corporation, USA Today,Inter-American Development Bank
Go here to read the rest:
- The Islands Of The Bahamas State Of The Business Tourism Update - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2019
- The Bahamas are doing just fine and await your arrival - The News Star - October 27th, 2019
- 11-year-old boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reach over 1200 - Greenwich Time - October 27th, 2019
- Tourism In The Bahamas Rebounds After Hurricane Dorian - Cruise Industry News - October 27th, 2019
- Local boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reaches over 1,200 - WPBF West Palm Beach - October 27th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes To Storm Victims In The Bahamas And Houston - SGB Media - October 27th, 2019
- The Timberwolves are Karl-Anthony Towns' team now - Star Tribune - October 27th, 2019
- Grand Bahama All-Inclusive to Reopen in November - Caribbean Journal - October 24th, 2019
- This Species Of Shark Was Spotted For The First Time In The Tongue Of The Ocean Near The Bahamas - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Trinidad and Tobago ships relief items to the Bahamas - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 24th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes to Recent Storm Victims in the Bahamas and Houston - Business Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Temple Terrace Donates Fire Truck To Ravaged Station In Bahamas - Patch.com - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Womens Basketball to play exhibition to Benefit Bahamas Hurricane Relief - On The Banks - October 24th, 2019
- 'Bahamas was not a joke': KAT and his unified Wolves open with a stirring win - The Athletic - October 24th, 2019
- New gas station -- result of Bahamas Bowl sponsorship -- coming to Elk Grove - Chicago Daily Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Mercer alumna helps the Bahamas with the United Nations Humanitarian Response Depot - The Cluster - October 24th, 2019
- SITE Classic brings 300 Incentive Travel professionals to the Bahamas - Travel Daily News International - October 24th, 2019
- Govt. signs Heads of Agreement for new medical university in Grand Bahama - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- FATF keeps Panama and Bahamas on the grey list and adds Iceland - International Investment - October 24th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Power working on 'innovative' renewable energy solutions - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean: Grandeur of the Seas to leave Baltimore - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 24th, 2019
- The Salvation army's hurricane response in the Bahamas continues to grow - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 5th, 2019
- A Florida bar has removed about $14,000 stapled to its walls to provide hurricane relief in Bahamas - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs from the Bahamas are up for adoption at the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando - Orlando Weekly - October 5th, 2019
- WHO Director-General visits devastated sites in the Bahamas to assess health impacts of Hurricane Dorian - World Health Organization - October 5th, 2019
- Pets rescued from destruction in Bahamas arrive in Maine, looking for forever home - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - October 5th, 2019
- 2019 Intensive: Bahamas - Highlights - International Women's Forum News - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs, 1 cat rescued from Bahamas ready for adoption at H.A.L.O. shelter in Sebastian - TCPalm - October 5th, 2019
- By the numbers: Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas - News-Press - October 5th, 2019
- Just how far away are the Bahamas? - The Triton - October 5th, 2019
- Big Charger from the Bahamas learning to play football - Chattanooga Times Free Press - August 25th, 2017
- The Only Private Island in the Bahamas Where You Can Land Your Private Jet - Robb Report - August 25th, 2017
- What we learned from Chicago State's trip to the Bahamas - Mid-Major Madness - August 25th, 2017
- Threat to South Carolina from storm near the Bahamas eases - Charleston Post Courier - August 25th, 2017
- University of the Bahamas attracts new Royal Donors, a Sir and a Lady - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- A rain storm lurking off the Bahamas could strengthen and impact South Carolina - Charleston Post Courier - August 25th, 2017
- Quality Beach Soccer Squad Wins League And Cup Competitions In The Bahamas Super League - Bahamas Tribune - August 25th, 2017
- LOOK: Klay Thompson clearly enjoying his time in the Bahamas - The Mercury News - August 25th, 2017
- Zoo Miami may pair with zoos in Bahamas, Colombia and Jamaica - Miami Today - August 25th, 2017
- Tropical moisture to bring uptick in downpours to Florida, Bahamas early this week - AccuWeather.com - August 20th, 2017
- Nema Director Urges Caution As Weather System Moves Towards Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- Puerto Rico Blows Out Bahamas By 64 Points - Bahamas Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- At Port of Palm Beach, new Bahamas Paradise owners installing upgrades, second ship - Sun Sentinel - August 20th, 2017
- Drug Mules jailed in Bahamas, claims lured to drug trafficking by desperate times - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 20th, 2017
- Batfish: Bahamas' masters of camouflage - Baltimore Post-Examiner - August 20th, 2017
- Bahamas Bounces Back With Win Over Suriname - Bahamas Tribune - August 18th, 2017
- News Report cites Bahamas refugee laws lacking, UNHCR to help - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Bad Loans Crippling Bank of the Bahamas - Caribbean360.com (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- Bahamas Police get to BPL cases, $2M missing as more to be fired - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Bahamas Loses Opener In U18 Centrobasket - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- DJ, Paulina unwind with Bahamas vacay ... obviously - Golf Channel - August 16th, 2017
- Editorial: Hidden Faces Of Racism In The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas Tourism signs MOU with Airbnb - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas FNM Ministers & MPs verify with Public Treasury - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Turnquest: We Can Turn Bank Of The Bahamas Around - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas Police denies suspect hide out in TCI - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 14th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them? - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - August 14th, 2017
- Tropical Depression Eight Forms Northeast of the Bahamas; Likely to Stay East of the Carolinas Early Next Week - The Weather Channel - August 13th, 2017
- Unemployment drops, still nearly 22,000 not working says Bahamas ... - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 13th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them ... - WRAL.com - August 13th, 2017
- Bahamas E-Passport collection returns to Thompson Boulevard/University Drive - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- South African Pilots make their dream a reality of visiting The Bahamas - South Florida Caribbean News - August 11th, 2017
- Bahamas Tourism cuts staff, Minister says to save $1M - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- PokerStars Brings Back The PCA After Bahamas Rebranding Fails - US Poker (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Conchs Mostly Gone From Florida Can The Bahamas Save Them? - NBC Bay Area - August 11th, 2017
- More Debt - The Legacy Of Another Bailout For Bank Of The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 11th, 2017
- UPDATE: Disturbance over the Bahamas could bring heavy rain to Florida - MyPalmBeachPost (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Bahamas All-Stars Victory Is A Local First At Summer Of Thunder - Bahamas Tribune - August 10th, 2017
- Look: Lee Smith in the Bahamas with Shaq during this offseason - Silver and Black Pride - August 10th, 2017
- Final Game in Bahamas Cancelled - GoPSUsports.com - August 10th, 2017
- CSU mens basketball team soaks up the sun in the Bahamas - 9NEWS.com - August 10th, 2017
- Grand ideas announced by Bahamas PM at Opening of ... - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Final game in Bahamas canceled for Penn State men's basketball - Centre Daily Times - August 10th, 2017
- Child Abuse up 144% for The Bahamas in 2016; neglect leads - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Bahamas trip included in schedule for SDSU women's basketball - The San Diego Union-Tribune - August 10th, 2017
- 'Curls Girls' Rule The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- UPDATED: Gardiner wins silver for the Bahamas | The Tribune - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- Editorial: Which International Airport In The Bahamas Is A National Disgrace? - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- Nick Jonas to perform shipboard concerts in the Bahamas on ... - Los Angeles Times - August 9th, 2017