One month after Hurricane Dorian hammered the Bahamas, survivors share amazing tales of surviving Category 5 storm & heartbreak over losing loved ones Andrew West and H. Leo Kim, Fort Myers News-Press
NASSAU, Bahamas On a recent sunny afternoon, Nassau's famed strawmarket was bustling as crowds carrying Carnival cruise tote bags oohed and aahed over the hand-made purses and hats.
Four behemoth ships were dockedin the Bahamian capital's port, with more scheduled to arrive the following day, reports the News-Press, which is part of the USA TODAY Network.
Yes, the capital has become a hub for hurricane helpers and displaced people since Hurricane Dorian walloped the islands Sept. 1, but it has the capacity to bend to accommodate them without breaking.
Even as he begged the world to come to his countrys aid by stabilizing the climate, the Bahamian prime minister couldnt help but wax poetical about his nations naturally warm aquamarine and jade waters.
Want to help?: Visit the Bahamas' to help islands recover from Hurricane Dorian
A bus transports cruise tourists from the boat docks to downtown Nassau, Bahamas three weeks after Hurricane Dorian.(Photo: Andrew West/The USA Today Network-Florida)
In his address last week to the United Nations general assembly, Hubert Minnis said Hurricane Dorians devastation should serve asan urgent warning that his archipelago and all coastal communities are endangered bywhat he called the global climate emergency thegreatest challenge facing humanity.
Macro and micro: Climate change is shaping life choices and affecting mental health
But later in the speech, Minnis made another plea to the world: Please come and visit one or more of the 14 other major islands in the Bahamas not affected by Hurricane Dorian, including Nassau on the island of New Providence, he said. The revenue from tourists visiting the Bahamas will play a vital role in reconstructing and rebuilding the affected areas, sentiments echoed by tourism officials throughout the island nation.
A recent meeting in the luxe lobby of Paradise Island's Baha Mar resort illustrated how tourism and recovery can go together.
Creative help: Bahamas bachelorette party turns into mission trip
As slot machines jingled and flashedbehind them, Naples couple Patty and Christina Amandiswaited for Mia Campbell and familyto arrive. Patty, a Naples, Florida DJ, has been coming to enjoy the Bahamas since she was a kid and estimates she's visitedbetween 30 and 40 times.
But the couple's visit to the islands last week was different: It was a mission trip. The two Naples residents traveledto the waterfront resort, just over a bridge from Nassau, to give away themore than 100 pounds of hurricane help they'd gathered in Florida and hauled to the Bahamas.
In depth: Bahamas struggles to right itself a month after Category 5 Dorian brutalized islands
"We love the Bahamas andthe Bahamian people, and this is our chance togive back," Patty said.
Nassau resident Mia Campbell, originally from the hard-hit Abaco islands, tearily hugged the Amandises and assured them their help would reach those who most need it.
Be like the Amandises, says the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation, because the best way to help the islandsrecover is by helping them conduct their tourism business as usual.
By the numbers: Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas
Its not that the Bahamas want the rest of the world to forget what happened when the Category 5 monster tore through the Abacos and Grand Bahama islands its that they want it to remember that 14 of its 16 main islands are perfectly fine and open for business.
More: Dorian's legacy: The slowest, strongest hurricane to ever hit the Bahamas
The commonwealths last official census in 2010 counted 351,461 residents, with the countrys projections for 2019 at 391,000,though some organizations place that closer to 400,000. Of those, two thirds live in the capital city of Nassau (theyre known as Nassuvians) on theisland of New Providence.
Since the storm, those numbers have increased by as much as 10,000, butNational Emergency Management Agency Director Capt. Stephen Russell said Nassuvians will make room.
Like Minnis, Russel wants the world to focus on all thatNassau and the Bahamas other islands have to offer.
"We are open for business," he said. "That's what the world needs to know."
Indeed, the Bahamas recovery hinges on the success of the tourism sector some 60% of Bahamas GDP, according to theInter-American Development Bank. That number is the highestof any Caribbean nation, which is whylast weeks just-inked deal with Carnival HollandAmerica Line was such good news for the Bahamas government and such a relief, considering it happened three weeks after Dorian.
Bahamas help: Carnival loads Liberty cruise ship with relief supplies for hurricane victims
Visitors stroll through downtown Nassau, Bahamas near the cruise ship docks on Sunday, September 22, 2019. Three weeks after Hurricane Dorian slammed the islands north of Nassau, the island is still open to its main source of income, tourism.(Photo: Andrew West/The USA Today Network-Florida)
The agreement calls for a $100 million port to be built on Grand Bahama as well as $80 million in enhancements to the companys private Half Moon Cay, including a massive pier that will enable the island to accommodate larger ships. One of those will be Carnivals still-under-construction Mardi Gras, the first cruise liner to be run on liquefied natural gas.
The agreement shows the Bahamas are "full speed ahead," Minnis said.
As deputy director general of the tourism ministry, Ellison Thompson told USA TODAY earlier this month: "The Bahamas is a country of 700 islands and cays beginning 50 miles off the Florida coast and stretching for 750 miles from Bimini in the north to Inagua in the south," said Thompson."The distance between these areas are similar to the distance between Philadelphia and New York.
"IfNYC has an issue, it doesn't affect Philadelphia."
Case in point, the experience the Amandises had at Baha Mar. As Patty looked around at the casino floor, the cafe, the scenic overlook abovethe turquoise waters below, she summed up the scene in a single word: "Paradise."
Map of the Bahamas and Florida.(Photo: USA TODAY NETWORK)
16: Main islands in the Bahamas
14: Islands open for business
$180 million:Port investments pledged by Carnival Corporation in Freeport and Half Moon Cay
60: Percent of the Bahamas' gross domestic product supportedby tourism
6.6 million: Foreign visitors to the Bahamas last year
17: Percent increase from the previous year
Sources: Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation,Carnival Corporation, USA Today,Inter-American Development Bank
Go here to read the rest:
- Americares to expand Bahamas health care programs - The Advocate - February 21st, 2020
- Banyan Tree to Open Resort With Overwater Bungalows in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - February 21st, 2020
- Bahamas Estate Once Home to the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson Hits the Market - Mansion Global - February 21st, 2020
- Former Bahamas Home Of The Duke Of Windsor And Wallis Simpson Goes On The Market - Forbes - February 21st, 2020
- Ecumenical Gathering with the NCC USA at Annunciation GOC in Bahamas - All Archdiocese News - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - February 21st, 2020
- Grant Williams vacationed with Carsen Edwards, others in the Bahamas - The Rookie Wire - February 21st, 2020
- AIBT & BFSB Joint Response The Bahamas Off The EU Blacklist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Joe Giudice Dances to Milania's Song While Partying in the Bahamas (VIDEO) - Bravo - February 21st, 2020
- DPM: Bahamas has already satisfied over 30 of 40 FATF recommendations - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- OECD tax demands may 'devastate the economy' - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Ministry Of Finance Statement: European Union Removes The Bahamas From Tax Watchlist - Mondaq News Alerts - February 21st, 2020
- Senior Bahamas Tourism Executive Receives Recognition Award from Premier Faith-Based Trade Association - South Florida Caribbean News - February 21st, 2020
- FIBA qualifier: Bahamas will have 10 players against Mexico - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- First look at Disneys new private island Lighthouse Point in the Bahamas - The Irish Sun - February 21st, 2020
- PM: Govt. will aggressively defend borders against illegal migration - EyeWitness News - February 21st, 2020
- Removal from the EU's Tax Watch List Confirms The Bahamas Has Implemented Necessary Reforms - Magnetic Media - February 21st, 2020
- Junior sailors take advantage of the 7th annual Youth Olympic Regatta - Bahamas Tribune - February 21st, 2020
- Airbnb is offering five people a free 2-month 'sabbatical' in the Bahamas - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is sending 5 people on a 2-month 'sabbatical' to the Bahamas - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb Wants to Send You on a Sabbatical to the Bahamas - msnNOW - January 30th, 2020
- World News Media Looks at How Financial Services in The Bahamas are Changing in the Latest Issue of World Finance - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Live in The Bahamas for two months with this Airbnb sabbatical - Leicestershire Live - January 30th, 2020
- Airbnb is offering a trip to the Bahamas and it's completely free - Mirror Online - January 30th, 2020
- The United States and The Bahamas Sign Air Transport Agreement - South Florida Caribbean News - January 30th, 2020
- Dream jobs: Airbnb is offering a sustainable sabbatical in The Bahamas - Stylist Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- From The Bahamas to Antigua, the Caribbean's Best Historic Hotels - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020
- Jack Nicklaus' New Residence Club Is Coming to The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - January 27th, 2020
- Society-Wide Effort Needed to Elevate Skill Levels to Global Norms, says Bahamas Education Minister - Magnetic Media - January 27th, 2020
- Bahamas back as 'least corrupt in the Caribbean' - Bahamas Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Family Hotel in St Lucia Helps Family Islands in Bahamas - St. Lucia News From The Voice St. Lucia - The Voice St. Lucia - January 27th, 2020
- Team Bahamas 6th overall - Bahamas Tribune - January 27th, 2020
- Bahamas Defence Force investigates bodies washed ashore near Ragged Island - Magnetic Media - January 27th, 2020
- Transparency International: The Bahamas least corrupt in region - Loop News Barbados - January 27th, 2020
- Larry Birkhead Wishes He Went to Bahamas Before Anna Nicole Smith Died: 'She'd Still Be Here' - FOX10 News - January 18th, 2020
- Sea level rise threat to 15% of Bahamas' GDP - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions CEO Gappelberg to pitch company at investor confab in Bahamas - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas 'top of the heap' before Dorian - Bahamas Tribune - January 18th, 2020
- A Travel Guide To The Bahamas: 15 Things Not To Miss Out On - TheTravel - January 18th, 2020
- Just Under Half the Value of Hurricane Dorian Losses and Damage in The Bahamas is Pledged for Recovery Efforts - Caribbean360.com - January 18th, 2020
- Bahamas travel guide: All the things to do and not miss out on at these Carribean islands - Republic World - Republic World - January 18th, 2020
- Gainey wins The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - SCNow - January 16th, 2020
- Gainey takes third-round lead at The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic - pgatour.com - January 16th, 2020
- Bahamas Government 'considering its options' for Freeport Grand Bahama International Airport - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - January 16th, 2020
- Supplies to be donated to the Bahamas | Featured Content - Suncoast News - January 16th, 2020
- Three Rescued from Sinking Tug Off Andros Island, Bahamas - The Maritime Executive - January 16th, 2020
- The 21st-ranked Gators open up season in the Bahamas - The Independent Florida Alligator - January 16th, 2020
- Columbus' Claims of Cannibal Raids May Have Been True After All - Livescience.com - January 16th, 2020
- United Airlines pilots mark bar mitzvah, dance with rabbi post-landing in Bahamas - JNS.org - January 16th, 2020
- RBC regional exec: Bank is committed to The Bahamas long term - EyeWitness News - January 16th, 2020
- House Hunting in the Bahamas: Comfort on the Waters of Nassau - The New York Times - December 18th, 2019
- The Bahamas Is Recovering From One Of The Strongest Atlantic Hurricanes On Record - Its Hard - Forbes - December 18th, 2019
- Chronic Disease, Injuries, and Mental Health Issues: The Bahamas' Challenging Future - Direct Relief - December 18th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Island still struggling to recover more than three months after Hurricane Dorian - ABC Action News - December 18th, 2019
- Bulls arrive in the Bahamas - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at Buffalo Reporter - December 18th, 2019
- Michigan company gives away 13 Cadillacs and 30 cruises to the Bahamas at holiday party - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - December 18th, 2019
- Josh and the Bahamas - AG INFORMATION NETWORK OF THE WEST - AGInfo Ag Information Network Of The West - December 18th, 2019
- Crowd jeers Reed over rules violation in Bahamas | Golf | Journal Gazette - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - December 18th, 2019
- Two Ga. Southern students from the Bahamas are graduating after community's help - WJCL News - December 18th, 2019
- What to watch for when Bahamas Bowl kicks off bowl season - Chicago Daily Herald - December 18th, 2019
- Bahamas Opposition accuses the Government of Parliamentary abuse - WIC News - December 18th, 2019
- UN: Men have higher rate of suicide in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - December 18th, 2019
- Marcus Weathers scores 12 to lift Duquesne over Air Force in Bahamas - TribLIVE - November 23rd, 2019
- Evansville basketball treating Bahamas getaway as a 'business trip' to continue hot start - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Oregon's rebounding issues could be put to the test in Bahamas - 247Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Two local men are home from a life-changing trip to The Bahamas - 13abc Action News - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty routs Morgan State to open stay in the Bahamas - Lynchburg News and Advance - November 23rd, 2019
- Grand Bahama back on stream: The Bahamas is open for business - Travelweek - November 23rd, 2019
- Heading into the Bahamas, Michigan is where it wants to be - UM Hoops - November 23rd, 2019
- Family reunion: Brothers Jawaun and Tristen Newton go head-to-head in the Bahamas - Courier & Press - November 23rd, 2019
- Liberty vs. Morgan State odds: 2019 The Islands of the Bahamas Showcase picks, predictions from proven model - CBS Sports - November 23rd, 2019
- Hit And Run: $1.35 Million Up For Grabs In partypoker MILLIONS Bahamas Main Event; The Big Blind Poker-Themed Game Show To Debut On PokerGo On... - November 23rd, 2019
- BTC supports more than 1500 Students from Grand Bahama and Abaco - EyeWitness News - November 23rd, 2019
- Boris Johnson's Tories handed 1million by billionaire tycoon based in Bahamas - Mirror Online - November 23rd, 2019
- The Bahamas | History, Geography, & Points of Interest ... - November 21st, 2019
- ActiveVideo Rolls Its Cloud-based Service to Cable Bahamas - Multichannel News - November 21st, 2019
- Men's basketball looks to gain tournament experience in Bahamas - GW Hatchet - November 21st, 2019
- Hurricane Dorian Responsible for $3.4 Billion in Losses on Bahamas, Report Says - The Weather Channel - November 21st, 2019
- Why Cruise Lines Are Expanding Ties to the Bahamas and Caribbean - TravelPulse - November 21st, 2019
- Carnival Corporation Signs Agreement With the Bahamas to Fund and Support Restoration of Rand Memorial Hospital Following Hurricane Dorian -... - November 21st, 2019
- Adrian Mateos, Christopher Brammer, and Daniel Dvoress Win Big in The Bahamas - PokerNews.com - November 21st, 2019