After one of President Bidens recent executive orders provided encouraging news for trans athletes, backlash was sadly inevitable. After all, hes a new president and as weve discussed numerous times, transgender athletes have become a lightning rod in Americas endless and tiresome culture wars.
So its not surprising that during the confirmation hearing for prospective Secretary of Education Dr. Miguel Cardona, a few ambitious politicians would take the opportunity to announce that their number one academic priority was to throw a marginalized group under the bus.
Enter U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky.
The first words out of his mouth tipped off everyone where he was going and it wasnt anywhere pleasant...
The Office of Civil Rights sent a letter to Connecticut saying that boys cant compete with girls in sports or shouldnt be forced to allow boys to compete in girls sports [sic]. If youre confirmed, will you enforce that Office of Civil Rights opinion?
To review, a duly elected U.S. Senator couldnt make it through one sentence (and thats being very generous with the term) without misgendering an entire community twice. It is a credit to Cardonas sense of restraint that he responded with an answer other than Grownups are talking. Why dont you go color?
Instead, Cardona asserted that his job as Secretary of Education would be to make sure were following civil rights of all students. He later expounded, I think its critically important that education systems and educators respect the rights of all students, including students who are transgender, and that they are afforded the opportunities that every other student has to participate in extracurricular activities.
That sound you just heard was one of Betsy DeVoss yachts exploding.
At that point, Paul began playing the greatest hits of Martina and the TERFs, spouting out talking points like destroy girls athletics, they dont get college scholarships, and hulking six-foot-four guys wrestling against girls. The proceedings transformed into less of a Senate hearing and more of a jukebox of bullshit.
Listening to his line of questioning, it was worth remembering that Paul considers himself a Libertarian. And if theres one singular piece of philosophy at the core of Ayn Rands canon, its that whenever people are left to freely pursue excellence in their chosen field, the government should step in to stop them as forcefully as possible. While calling John Galt a woman.
If trans athletes are such a threat to the core of Pauls world, maybe he can form his own barnstorming team called The Parasites.
That wasnt all. Later in the hearing, Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah took the floor. In the past year, Romney has marched with Black Lives Matter demonstrators and was part of the Group of Ten Republicans who met with President Biden to give the appearance of being willing to negotiate with Democrats.
But when it came to trans athletes, Romney was almost enthusiastic in his support for Pauls demagoguery:
I want to associate myself with a number of the things that were said by Senator Paul. Thats not something I say very frequently! But he made a very, very good point. Ive got pictures of my eight granddaughters... they shouldnt be competing with people who are physiologically in an entirely different category. And I think boys should be competing with boys and girls should be competing with [girls] on the athletic field.
I understand that confirmation hearings are all about trying to generate soundbites, especially when the nominee already has the votes clinched. Furthermore, I also know there are many out LGBTQ Republicans and conservatives who align with Paul and Romney on many issues.
But this is a story of two extremely powerful leaders cynically singling out members of our community to score cheap points. They also serve to turn people who havent researched this issue against a group that is already marginalized, othered and attacked way too frequently as it is.
This sorry episode isnt about politics or ideological disagreements. These are two of the most powerful men in the country going all-in on punching down. Its one bit of political theater that should have closed during previews.
Originally posted here:
- Ayn Rand - Wikipedia - August 2nd, 2021
- The ghost of Ayn Rand lives on in the Conservatives' Covid-19 policy Sajid Javid has - New Statesman - August 2nd, 2021
- 55 in 55: Black coffee and blueberry scones on the road - Charleston Gazette-Mail - August 2nd, 2021
- First Thoughts: Act now on the climate emergency, I'm with Bonkers, and the perils of altruism - New Statesman - August 2nd, 2021
- Space wars: Rival visions at the frontier - The National Business Review - August 2nd, 2021
- Top 10 Reasons Ayn Rand was Dead Wrong - CBS News - July 10th, 2021
- Here's What's Wrong With Ayn Rand's Philosophy - The ... - July 10th, 2021
- Events - Heartland Movie Night | A screening of Ayn Rand's "Anthem: The Graphic Novel" - The Heartland Institute - July 10th, 2021
- Ayn Rand Think Tanker Says Florida Condo Collapse Happened Because People Made A Bad Decision and Now Suffer the Consequences of It - Mediaite - July 10th, 2021
- COVID-19: Sajid Javid's approach has party support - but scientists are getting worried - Sky News - July 10th, 2021
- The NHS bill is political dynamite and a gift to Labour - The Guardian - July 10th, 2021
- VIDEO: Inflation Hedges Are Gaining in Popularity - Investing Daily - Investing Daily - July 10th, 2021
- Opinion: Your Say: Readers offer what books or writing influenced them - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 10th, 2021
- Will the Democrats Trust Me? - Splice Today - June 4th, 2021
- Nothing to See Here - The American Prospect - June 4th, 2021
- The bill was never introduced, but Sisolak's Blockchains concept is still alive - Nevada Current - June 4th, 2021
- Step inside Ram Gopal Varma's office, where rooms are named after Donald Trump and Dawood Ibrahim - Hindustan Times - June 4th, 2021
- ALL CREATURES GRATE ON FOX'S 'HOUSEBROKEN' - The Republic - June 4th, 2021
- Congress Is Trying to Give Jeff Bezos's Space Firm $10 Billion of Your Tax Dollars | Hannah Cox - Foundation for Economic Education - June 4th, 2021
- My Turn: To those who fear non-leftists - The Recorder - May 29th, 2021
- The GOP Cant Be Savedand Neither Can Paul Ryan - The Nation - May 29th, 2021
- Army of the Dead mashes a heist flick with zombies - New Times SLO - May 27th, 2021
- Nepal Is the Boat of Democracy on The Road Ahead - IDN InDepthNews | Analysis That Matters - May 27th, 2021
- Video Games That Are Based on Novels Film Daily - Film Daily - May 27th, 2021
- Wisconsin Examiner Kids are getting their shots so should Ron Johnson - Wisconsin Examiner - May 16th, 2021
- Kids Are Getting VaccinatedSo Should Ron Johnson - Progressive.org - May 16th, 2021
- Reverential and referential: A review of the Hebrew Bible for Shavuot eve - The Jewish Standard - May 16th, 2021
- People Share the Book Titles That Would Make Them Walk Out of a First Date - Newsweek - May 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder Has Delayed The Fountainhead Because He Thinks It Will Freak Everyone Out - MovieWeb - May 11th, 2021
- Rushs music taught me that I could grow, that I could change - The Globe and Mail - May 7th, 2021
- These COVID-19 patients coped with isolation and anxiety in their own uplifting ways - The Hindu - May 7th, 2021
- Climate targets must be realistic -- and demand the impossible - The Harvell gazette - May 7th, 2021
- Emily at the Edge of Chaos Peering over the precipice [MOVIE REVIEW] - Easy Reader - May 4th, 2021
- THE TEACHER'S DESK: We're almost there | Columns | thetimestribune.com - Times Tribune of Corbin - April 11th, 2021
- Allison Hanes: Laissez-faire fatalism seems to have infected Legault - Montreal Gazette - March 31st, 2021
- Letter: Re: Ethan Orr's Article on the Middle Class - Arizona Daily Star - March 31st, 2021
- Reaching Active Minds: Ayn Rand and the Ford Hall Forum - New Ideal - March 25th, 2021
- In Mosaic's darkly funny 'Inherit the Windbag,' an epic bickerfest (ep. 3) - DC Metro Theater Arts - March 25th, 2021
- Ralph Nader on Corporatism's Threat to Democracy - Progressive.org - March 25th, 2021
- There is such a thing as society: it has overcome Covid and restored the truth - TheArticle - March 20th, 2021
- Letter to the editor | UPJ nowhere to be found on Outlier site - TribDem.com - March 20th, 2021
- Talks of replacing Woody Allen in Ann Arbor mural reignited after new documentary - MLive.com - March 20th, 2021
- We wince; therefore, we are | Our Readers Speak | register-herald.com - Beckley Register-Herald - March 20th, 2021
- Why We Need Shakespeare and Beethoven - The Dispatch - March 20th, 2021
- B1G tourney preview: After 20 wins in NCAA regular season, Gophers still have something to prove in playoffs - Brainerd Dispatch - March 20th, 2021
- The Worst Ted Cruz Moments in History - Dallas Observer - March 20th, 2021
- The Books That Shaped Tina Howard and Teas to Pair With Them - Fort Worth Magazine - March 7th, 2021
- Are You Bullish or Bearish on America and Wall Street? - Stock Investor - March 7th, 2021
- Satire: Why two beers is the perfect amount - The State Press - March 7th, 2021
- Elon Musk and Amber Heard: How Did the Two Celebrities Meet? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 7th, 2021
- CPAC Exposed the GOP's Fight for the Working Class as Just Another Culture War | Opinion - Newsweek - March 7th, 2021
- An Excerpt From 'Peter and the Wolves' by Adele Bertei on the Brief, Brilliant Life of Peter Laughner - Cleveland Scene - February 10th, 2021
- Our nation has never fully agreed on much, but it hasn't always torn itself apart | TheHill - The Hill - February 8th, 2021
- Why Telling Students to 'Trust the Experts' Is Poor Advice | Caroline Breashears - Foundation for Economic Education - February 8th, 2021
- Liz was Isolated as a Felon on the Run, Transitioning Alone: Nick Cammilleri and Zackary Drucker on Their HBO Docuseries The Lady and the Dale -... - February 8th, 2021
- Letter: Pleased that Newhouse defended Constitution | Letters To Editor | yakimaherald.com - Yakima Herald-Republic - January 29th, 2021
- The more I practice, the better my luck - Las Cruces Bulletin - January 29th, 2021
- Geddy Lee on the Genius of Neil Peart - Rolling Stone - January 29th, 2021
- The Lady and The Dale | Review - The GATE - January 29th, 2021
- Ayn Rand on Morality and the Misuse of Political Power - New Ideal - January 27th, 2021
- 'The Lady and the Dale': TV Review - Hollywood Reporter - January 27th, 2021
- Closer to the park: St. Catharines commissions artwork to honour Rush drummer Neil Peart - The Globe and Mail - January 27th, 2021
- No more echo chambers: the internet's best left-wing thinkers - Spectator.co.uk - January 27th, 2021
- Currencies get back to the task at hand - FXStreet - January 27th, 2021
- Wikipedia is the last bastion of idealism on the internet Prospect Magazine - Prospect Magazine - January 27th, 2021
- article image Op-Ed: Investors making big money, but where are the trillions going? - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2021
- Unmasking the Deceased Programmer Who Donated 28 Bitcoin to Capitol Hill Rioters - Crypto Briefing - January 19th, 2021
- An Expert Explains the US Capitol Hill riot: anatomy of an insurrection - The Indian Express - January 15th, 2021
- PERRY: Mayor Coffman's mock-homeless close-up highlights the danger of unreality TV - Sentinel Colorado - January 15th, 2021
- The Meaning Of Work For A Happy Life (And New Year) - Forbes - January 15th, 2021
- Is It Selfish to Never Wear a Mask? - New Ideal - October 22nd, 2020
- Ayn Rands power isnt dimmed by the collectivist age of the pandemic - Telegraph.co.uk - October 20th, 2020
- What Tech Calls Thinking: Book Review | by Joshua Adams | Oct, 2020 - Medium - October 20th, 2020
- Welcome to Dystopia: 45 Visions of What Lies Ahead - Morning Star Online - October 20th, 2020
- The Dictatorial Impulse Behind the Shaming of PPP Recipients - New Ideal - July 21st, 2020
- Instead Of Open Or Closed, Dial Your Mind To Active - Forbes - July 21st, 2020
- Big problems with the Paycheck Protection Program? - The Week - July 21st, 2020
- Finally: Diamond and Silk are releasing a book - The Spectator USA - July 21st, 2020
- Tagore's Gora to Krishnamurthy's Ponniyin Selvan: Add these regional language books to your reading list - India Today - July 21st, 2020
- When MGM and the FBI Chased 'The Father of the Atomic Bomb' - WhoWhatWhy - July 21st, 2020