A newly discovered exploit with Baptiste's Immortality Field can allow Overwatch players to live for longer thanks to its lingering effect, and as it turns out, the same effect applies to other abilities too.
While many abilities in Overwatch have a lingering effect, this is often by design. For instance, Moiras primary healing lasts a few seconds after applied. However, it does less healing overall, which implies it was intended by the developers.
With Baptistes Immortality Field drone and a few other abilities, the effect lasts completely even after a player leaves its proximity for a short amount of time something that may not have been intended by the games developers.
Baptiste's Immortality Field can save enemies from dying.
A Reddit user by the name of 'kaiomm' posted a replay clip of gameplay on Nepal in which a Reinhardt pinned another player who had only a fraction of health left. During the pin/charge animation, the Reinhardt getting pinned was briefly in the line of sight of a friendly Baptiste Immortality Field.
As the charge continues, the Reinhardt doing the pinning hits his opponent into the wall, which should have done enough damage to result in a kill. Instead, it appears as if the drone continued to keep the player alive even after being pinned outside of its area of effect.
Some abilities which buff friendly players function the same way. As 'Lightning_Laxus' pointed out in the comments, A lot of abilities are like that. Lucio's aura and Orisa's Supercharger for example. Supercharger is easier to visualize because of the giant beam. They both linger for 1 additional second after leaving the range and/or LoS.
Lucios aura and Orisas Supercharger/Mercy's beam could potentially be taken advantage of to help secure a kill or restore a player's health even though they've left the effective range.
For instance, a player chasing after a retreating enemy could fire one last shot or use one last ability with the buffed damage from Orisa's Supercharger briefly after turning a corner and leaving its line of sight.
With Baptiste, a way to counterplay the Immortality Field, aside from just destroying it, is to boop or knock foes out of its line of sight. But with a one second lingering effect, players may need to wait a moment before using an ability to confirm a kill on foes knocked outside of the field or else it wouldnt result in a kill.
For anyone playing against a Baptiste, its something to consider before wasting ammo or a cooldown on a target who leaves the drones effective range.
Baptiste had such a knowledge of the drone that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.
But if you're playing with one on your team, taking advantage of the lingering effect could cause your enemies to waste cooldowns and making your opponents waste cooldowns could win you the game.
It will be interesting to see what Blizzards stance on lingering effects in Overwatch is and if they address this problem in a future patch.
The rest is here:
- Martin is verging on immortality - The Roar - November 30th, 2019
- BOOKS IN BRIEF: 'Living With Limericks,' by Garrison Keillor, and 'The Secrets We Kept,' by Lara Prescott - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 30th, 2019
- Derrick Henry's Titans teammate interrupts interview by blasting Auburn's Kick Six call - For The Win - November 30th, 2019
- 'I want to do well in the big competitions' - Andy Murray not ready to take back seat - Tennis365 - November 30th, 2019
- Andy Murray explains why he was forced to miss recent Davis Cup ties - Tennis365 - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Buffalo: Biggest party night of the year - Buffalo News - November 30th, 2019
- 6 Most Embarrassing Things To Ever Happen Inside A UFC Cage - WhatCulture - November 30th, 2019
- The state of immortality - The New Indian Express - November 23rd, 2019
- USF womens soccer tops Washington to reach first Sweet 16 - Tampa Bay Times - November 23rd, 2019
- Marina Abramovic's mixed reality artwork to hit the auction block - Yahoo News - November 23rd, 2019
- Gender inequality reaches beyond the grave - Quartz - November 23rd, 2019
- Gallardo leads irrepressible River to another shot at glory - Buenos Aires Times - November 23rd, 2019
- 10 Signs Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Is Ripping Off Harry Potter - WhatCulture - November 23rd, 2019
- 6 upcoming art events in Athens as the year comes to a close - Red and Black - November 23rd, 2019
- Pastor Mike's Sermon Notes with Pastor Mike Birbeck: This is what we believe in Jesus Christ - The Wellsboro Gazette - November 23rd, 2019
- An Egyptian extravaganza that costs an arm and a leg - Catholic Herald Online - November 23rd, 2019
- Pen Of The Year By Graf Von Faber-Castell: New For 2020 - Forbes - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Rick and Morty' Season 5: Will The Show Have Another Season? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2019
- SPEAKING OF FAITH: Remembering helps to maintain our confidence - The Cherokee One Feather - Cherokee One Feather - November 23rd, 2019
- Iowa Chief Justice Mark Cady remembered as kind, devoted to justice - The Gazette - November 23rd, 2019
- Doctor Sleep shines on introspection and nostalgia - Maroon - November 23rd, 2019
- 10 Indiana Jones Logic Memes That Are Too Funny For Words - Screen Rant - November 23rd, 2019
- The secret to Trumps success? Its sheer existential dread - The Guardian - November 23rd, 2019
- Your Immortality Application - The New Yorker - October 24th, 2019
- The Vampire Diaries: Silas The First Immortal Explained - Screen Rant - October 24th, 2019
- Radio Readers BookByte: Think About It - HPPR - October 24th, 2019
- Hocus Pocus 2 Movie is in the Works at Disney+ /Film - /FILM - October 24th, 2019
- Mei and Sigma changes included in October 23 Overwatch PTR patch - Dexerto - October 24th, 2019
- The Litany of the Holy Eucharist - The Catholic Spirit - October 24th, 2019
- Lucifer cast: Who is Mazikeen of Lilith ? Who is Maze based on? - Express - October 24th, 2019
- In ACT Theatre's New Production of Dracula, the Hunter Becomes the Hunted - TheStranger.com - October 24th, 2019
- The Shining Sequel Doctor Sleep Coming To Theaters Early In Time For Halloween - Geeks of Doom - October 24th, 2019
- A Pair of World Series Homers Puts the Nationals on the Right Track - FanGraphs - October 24th, 2019
- Halloween costume 'do's and 'don't's - The Spectator USA - October 24th, 2019
- More All Hallows': Damnation to Demons, Grace to All People - Patheos - October 24th, 2019
- Battery + Storage Podcast Episode II - With Mike Hopkins, CEO of Bakken Midstream, Lead Director of Plus Power and previously long-time CEO of Ice... - October 24th, 2019
- The Immortality of Horror Comics: A Continuous Resurrection - Monkeys Fighting Robots - October 20th, 2019
- Book Review: 'The Professor Of Immortality' - WSHU - October 20th, 2019
- All Blacks are best sports team ever but beatable, says Eddie Jones - The Guardian - October 20th, 2019
- The Right Chemistry: Looking for the secrets to longevity - Montreal Gazette - October 20th, 2019
- The way you process the end of the season says a lot about you - Viva El Birdos - October 20th, 2019
- Netflix's 'Living with Yourself' Proves Two Rudds Are Better Than One - Munchies - October 20th, 2019
- Priya Visweswaran Balakrishnan, MD, with The Immortality Institute in Texas - The Magazine Plus - October 20th, 2019
- Whalley's World discovered a treasure trove of local heroes - St Helens Star - October 20th, 2019
- Contest: Win Tickets to the Exclusive Doctor Sleep Premiere - Unreserved Media - October 20th, 2019
- "You don't want to do it to sit on the bench - it can weigh you down" - SportsJOE.ie - October 20th, 2019
- Runtime of Mike Flanagan's 'Doctor Sleep' Confirmed to Be Longer Than Kubrick's 'The Shining' - Bloody Disgusting - October 20th, 2019
- Immortality bombshell as 4,000-year-old map for the soul unearthed in Egypt - Daily Star - October 13th, 2019
- Watch the 'Toy Story 4' Filmmakers Discuss Fan Theories on Andy's Dad, Toy Immortality - Collider.com - October 13th, 2019
- On the road to immortality - Hindustan Times - October 13th, 2019
- Best Red River Showdown performances of the decade - 247Sports - October 13th, 2019
- From China to the Cotton Bowl: How Dicker The Kicker cemented his name in Red River history - The Dallas Morning News - October 13th, 2019
- WASO and Leanne Glover premiere Iain Grandages cor anglais concerto, Orphee. - The West Australian - October 13th, 2019
- Captain Tim Ritson, cavalry officer who rode the Queen Mothers horse and had a close encounter with a monster salmon obituary - Telegraph.co.uk - October 13th, 2019
- Review: The Day It Finally Happens, by Mike Pearl - HeraldScotland - October 13th, 2019
- The Dead Center Review: Who Wants to Live Forever? - The Spool - October 13th, 2019
- Holland 3 Northern Ireland 1: Depay inspires Dutch comeback to sink underdogs who were on verge of shock Euro - The Sun - October 13th, 2019
- MCU Phase 4: Here's how cosmic superheroes 'The Eternals' differ from the X-Men and the Inhumans - MEAWW - October 13th, 2019
- This Obi-Wan Kenobi Fan Theory Reconsiders the Real 'Chosen One' In 'Star Wars' - Esquire.com - October 13th, 2019
- The 100 season 7: Will Jordan Green take down the Sanctum Primes? - Express.co.uk - October 13th, 2019
- The Hug That Rocked The World - The Voice St. Lucia - October 13th, 2019
- Time travel, immortality, inconsistencies: Has Game of Thrones jumped the dragon? - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 22nd, 2017
- The super rich are injecting blood from teenagers to gain 'immortality' - BBC Three (satire) (blog) - August 22nd, 2017
- Blood of teenagers being injected into OAPS for 6000 a shot by US company who claim it leaves the elderly 'pretty ... - The Sun - August 20th, 2017
- Despacito writer Luis Fonsi's 19-year journey to musical immortality - South China Morning Post - August 18th, 2017
- Ken Burns Talks About Leadership, Productivity and Achieving Immortality Through Storytelling - Entrepreneur - August 15th, 2017
- Immortality & Mind: Dalai Lama Brainstorms the Universe With Russian Scientists - Sputnik International - August 10th, 2017
- Wayde van Niekerk, the anti-Usain Bolt, on way to athletics immortality - iNews - August 10th, 2017
- Golf: Spieth chasing golf immortality at PGA - Duluth News Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- PGA Championship 2017: Jordan Spieth chases golf immortality - GolfDigest.com - August 6th, 2017
- Immortality calling: Who'll be next Dolphins, Heat, Marlins or Panthers star in Hall of Fame? - Miami Herald (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- How to live forever: Every single way you can achieve immortality - GQ India - August 4th, 2017
- Incarnations of Immortality - Wikipedia - July 26th, 2017
- IMMORTALITY & RESURRECTION, INC. - Giza Death Star - July 24th, 2017
- President John Evans Atta Mills: 5 years of ascending into immortality! - Myjoyonline.com - July 24th, 2017
- The Observer view on Jane Austen's immortality - The Guardian - July 23rd, 2017
- WWC Final: Mithali Raj's feisty bunch on the cusp of immortality - Times of India - July 23rd, 2017
- Immortality Is In The Eye Of The Beholder - MediaPost Communications - July 21st, 2017
- Calgary folk fest: Dave Alvin and intimations of immortality - theyyscene.ca - July 21st, 2017
- JT's immortality a certainty after State of Origin heroics | Gympie Times - Gympie Times - July 19th, 2017