While the vast majority of over-the-counter nutritional and herbal supplements are safe unless they are consumed in large quantities not all of them deliver on their promised benefits.
Researchers say that the $40 billion per year dietary supplement industry, which covers tens of thousands of products, exists on the offer of some health benefit.
While many deliver, there is little beyond anecdotal evidence for their efficacy, experts say.
When it comes to their health, everybody is looking for a silver bullet, Martin J. Ronis, a professor of pharmacology at LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans, told UPI. And that silver bullet doesnt really exist.
Supplements covers a broad range of products from vitamins like multi-vitamin, vitamin C and D tablets to herbal products like ginseng, touted for its energy-boosting benefits, and St. Johns Wart, billed as a natural anti-depressant. Theres also products like melatonin, which is used as a sleep aid, and fish oil, which has been linked with improved heart health.
A wide array of herbal products with roots in Asian and Native American cultures, and supplements advertised on TV and sold online, also promises to help with weight loss and boost energy. And an increasing number of CBD-based products that have surging in use, particularly as states relax laws cannabis laws.
Currently, all of these products fall under the auspices of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994, or DSHEA, which some experts believe provides inadequate oversight, both in terms of ingredients and safety and effectiveness.
The law effectively exempts many supplements from review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and some accuse the federal agency of being lax in exercising the enforcement power it does have.
Unfortunately, there are several weaknesses in the (DSHEA) that prevent consumers from being able to trust that a product sold as an over-the-counter supplement is safe, Pieter Cohen, an associate professor of medicine at Harvards Cambridge Health Alliance and co-author of a recently published commentary in the New England Journal of Medicine, told UPI.
And this problem is amplified by the FDA not enforcing the law the agency permits products they know to be adulterated to remain on store shelves. Furthermore, the few times that FDA does try to remove adulterated products, their enforcement is inadequate and adulterated supplements continue to be widely available.
Not all supplements are bad, unsafe or ineffective.
Cohen said he routinely recommends vitamins and minerals for specific conditions, such as iron supplements for those who are anemic.
But Ronis noted that, with few exceptions, vitamin and mineral supplementation is rarely necessary in places like the United States because most people here get sufficient amounts of them in their diet, assuming they have healthy, well-balanced eating habits.
Though many of these vitamins and minerals are found in the foods we eat, consuming more of them may not be a good thing, Ronis said. He cited the extreme example of an August 2017 study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, which found that high doses of vitamin B6 and/or B12 actually increased the risk for lung cancer in men overall and even more in men who smoked.
Another example, said Peter Cogan, an associate professor of pharmaceutical sciences at Regis University in Denver, is prescription cannabidiol.
Though not technically a dietary supplement according to federal definitions, yet treated like one by the states and possessed of all the attributes of any other herbal supplement, take a look at the side effects reported for prescription cannabidiol and compare them to those acknowledged by any vendor of CBD oil, Cogan said.
Cogan notes that CBD was marketed heavily before clinical trial results were known publicly, and the industry has continued to expand while acknowledging potential side effects including sleep issues and increased risk for infection.
What would we find if we subjected all dietary supplements to such assessments? Cogan asked.
Some supplement manufacturers have taken the step to bolster the credibility of their products by applying for, and receiving, USP certification of their composition.
USP, a non-profit that develops standards for drugs and other compounds, essentially certifies that these products contain the ingredients, and in the exact amounts, as noted on their labeling.
Ronis said that this step is better than nothing, but that it doesnt provide the same assurances that large clinical trials testing the safety and effectiveness of these products in large populations of patients would.
If a supplement is certified by a top-notch program it simply confirms that what is listed on the label is actually what is in the bottle, said Cohen, who added that he hopes Congress will address shortcomings in DSHEA when it returns from holiday recess. No certification program, that I am aware of, provides consumers with assurance that the product works as advertised or that the product is safe.
So what should people looking into nutritional or herbal supplement do, particularly given that some of these products may provide health benefits?
Talk to your doctor before taking anything, Ronis said. Better yet, talk to a nutritionist who has expertise in supplements.
Read this article:
- Here are 6 supplement myths worth busting - Seattle Times - July 21st, 2020
- Baze receives Personalized Nutrition Initiative of the Year Award - NutraIngredients-usa.com - July 21st, 2020
- Strategic Analysis to Understand the Competitive Outlook of Food Supplements Market - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Hard pill to swallow: TTAB denies trademark application for dietary and nutritional supplements involving CBD - International Law Office - July 21st, 2020
- Magnesium: Why you need this mineral for better sleep, mood and more - CNET - July 21st, 2020
- L-Carnitine: Types, benefits, and side effects - Medical News Today - July 21st, 2020
- What Doctors Really Think of Brain-Boosting Dietary Supplements - MSN Money - July 21st, 2020
- Rare pamphlet added to MASC Hogarth Press collection with employee bequest - WSU News - July 21st, 2020
- 2020 NutraIngredients-USA Product of the Year Winners - NutraIngredients-usa.com - July 21st, 2020
- An Overview Of EU Rules On Consumer Advertising Of Over-The-Counter Products In The Life Sciences Sector - Media, Telecoms, IT, Entertainment -... - July 21st, 2020
- Protein Supplements Market 2020 | Analyzing The COVID-19 Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- I Took Sakara's New Supplements Pack and Here's What Happened - The Beet - July 8th, 2020
- Vitamin P: Overview, Benefits, and More - Healthline - July 8th, 2020
- Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Probiotic-based Dietary Supplements Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Powder Dietary Supplements Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- The violence in Mali has spread into the Tillabri area of Niger - Niger - ReliefWeb - July 8th, 2020
- PATHWAYS TO HEALING: Keys to a healthy gut - Lake Oconee Breeze - July 8th, 2020
- Zinc Boosts Immunity. Here's How Much You Need in Age of COVID-19 - The Beet - July 8th, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Grape Seed Extracts Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- CRN files petition proposing way forward for CBD supplements; leaves foods/beverages to be dealt with 'later' - FoodNavigator-USA.com - June 24th, 2020
- Update on trade issues affecting the dietary supplement industry - Regulatory Focus - June 24th, 2020
- Pet nutrition's transformation: Pet food and supplements are getting healthier - Nutritional Outlook - June 24th, 2020
- The 10 Best Zinc Supplements of 2020 - Healthline - June 24th, 2020
- Here's the Right Level of Vitamin D to Protect You from COVID-19 - The Beet - June 24th, 2020
- Prorganiq: Transforming The World Organically - Forbes India - June 24th, 2020
- Belgium and Switzerland reveal results of border checks for food - Food Safety News - June 24th, 2020
- Do you really need to take a vitamin? 5 things to know before you buy - CNET - June 24th, 2020
- Targeted health and wellness a draw for supplement buyers - Natural Products INSIDER - June 17th, 2020
- Proposition 65 Notices of the Month April 2020: Plaintiffs Target Various Food Products Including Vinegars, Baby Food Pouches, Teething Wafers,... - June 17th, 2020
- The GOLO Diet: What it is and can it help with weight loss? - TODAY - June 17th, 2020
- High anxiety: Will CBD ever be legal in foods and beverages? - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2020
- Meet the Catalysts: 5 Supplements Trending With Athletes - GearJunkie - June 17th, 2020
- Nutrition/Dietary Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Vitamin D toxicity is rare but increased use of supplements could change that - Insider - INSIDER - June 17th, 2020
- Global Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 12.6% from 2020 to 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- WELLNESS SUPPLEMENTS Market 2020 analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts by 2028|Abbott Nestle Archer Daniels Midland Amway... - June 17th, 2020
- FDA continues to heavily police COVID-19 claims targeting blogs and influencers in addition to brands - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2020
- Probiotics - Market Research | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2025 - CueReport - June 17th, 2020
- Linoleic Acid - Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 17th, 2020
- Here is a list of organizations helping people in Yemen who are surviving in the world's worst humanitarian crisis - WUWF - June 17th, 2020
- Pea Protein Market Analysis Of Global Trends, Demand And Competition 2020-2028 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Probiotic Supplements market is expected to pick up in healthy CAGR by 2020-2025 Top companies | American Biologics, Arla, BioGaia, etc - Medic... - June 17th, 2020
- Preferred Commerce Releases the Most Advanced Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) Product Line Worldwide With the Launch of Its THRIV5 Supplements - BioSpace - June 17th, 2020
- Latest COVID-19 impact insights on the Global Activated Charcoal Supplement Market - The Cloud Tribune - June 17th, 2020
- Vitamins & Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- What are Food Supplements and Who Needs Them?: (EUFIC) - April 9th, 2020
- Global Dietary Supplements Market 2020 Key Players and Production Information Analysis with Forecast 2025 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Foods to boost your health while living through the pandemic - Belfast Telegraph - April 9th, 2020
- Probiotic Based Dietary Supplements Market Size Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Caviarlieri: The World's Only Caviar Food Supplement with the Latest Innovation in Swiss Cellular Therapy Technology - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Axonics Submits PMA Supplement to U.S. Food & Drug Administration to Expand Full-Body MRI Labeling for 3T Scans - Business Wire - April 7th, 2020
- Axonics submits PMA supplement to US Food & Drug administration to expand full-body MR labeling for 3T scans - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - April 7th, 2020
- Functional Food and Beverages Market to Rise at 8.49% CAGR till 2026; Increasing Health Awareness in Urban Areas to Fuel Market Expansion: Fortune... - April 7th, 2020
- Nutrition/Dietary Supplements Market Size Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Science In Me - April 7th, 2020
- OptiBiotix agrees contract manufacturing deal with French supplements and nutrition group - Proactive Investors UK - April 7th, 2020
- Global Omega 3 Market (2020 to 2024) - An Upsurge in the Ageing Population Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Prebiotics vs. Probiotics: What's the Difference? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - March 26th, 2020
- Nutraceuticals Market Size to Reach USD 486.36 Billion by 2026; Stellar Demand for Functional Food to Aid Expansion, states Fortune Business Insights... - March 26th, 2020
- Cyanocobalamin Market To Reach USD 210.4 Billion By 2027 | Reports and Data - GlobeNewswire - March 26th, 2020
- Pets and COVID-19 - The Andalusia Star-News - Andalusia Star-News - March 26th, 2020
- New Strategic Research Report on Over the Counter (OTC) Drugs & Dietary Supplements Market (2020 To 2027) is booming worldwide | Pfizer Inc.,... - March 26th, 2020
- Omega-3 supplements have minimal health benefits, studies say - The Star Online - March 26th, 2020
- Citrus Pectin Market to Reach US$ 965.5 Million Globally by end of 2027 - Coherent Market Insights - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- I spoke to a nutritionist & asked all you'd want to know about boosting your immune system - Mothership.sg - March 26th, 2020
- Postmarketing Adverse Event Reporting for Medical Products and Dietary - FDA.gov - March 24th, 2020
- Job No. 1: Educate and promote green alternatives based on hemp - HempToday - March 24th, 2020
- 8 Ways To Manage Red, Inflamed Skin Skin Care To Supplements - mindbodygreen.com - March 24th, 2020
- Experts advise healthy eating to boost immune system - The Star Online - March 17th, 2020
- Vegans & Vitamin B12: Everything You Wanted To Know (But Were Afraid To Ask) - Plant Based News - March 17th, 2020
- What's the Best Time to Take Magnesium? - Healthline - March 17th, 2020
- Global Bioactive Ingredients Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Health and Wellness Food Products to Boost Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- If You Want More Energy, Eat These 10 Foods Rich in This Essential Vitamin - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 17th, 2020
- The Cashmere crisis in the Himalayan ice desert - BBC News - March 17th, 2020
- Rugby deaths worrying - Daily Nation - March 17th, 2020
- Most dietary supplements dont do anything. Why do we spend $35 billion a year on them? - Seattle Times - February 21st, 2020
- High levels of B12 were associated with an increased risk of early death in a new study - Insider - INSIDER - February 21st, 2020
- Applied DNA Receives Kosher Certification from Orthodox Union for Qualifying Products - BioSpace - February 21st, 2020
- Dietary Supplements Market 2020 Global Trends, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 21st, 2020