My wife, a painter, was lying on the couch. The five blades of the ceiling fan are each a different color, she said musingly. Different? Yes, she continued, depending on which window the surface of the blade is lit by, or which lamp in the room, and the colors of the nearby walls.
Most of us perhaps see the fan s as off-white and are most concerned with how fast it will cool the room. It occurred to me that ordinary reality is so helpful, and so limited, because it sees things mainly in terms of the obvious use or dangers they suggest. A painters vision would then be analogous to what we call expanded consciousness, which is not better or worse than our usual vision, but which offers different information.
Because ordinary consciousness is so useful, many of us cling tightly to it. Any deviation from it may being forth prejudicial terms. Expanded visions are often dismissed as hallucinations, maybe caused by drugs. The world is divided strictly between material reality and a catch-all category called the spiritual. The former is studied by scientists; the latter, by priests and, may the Lord help us, by psychonauts. Stephen jay Gould called these realms magisteria. This division kept peace between the church and the men in lab coats, but it has confused the category of spiritual.
As a result of the distinction, anything outside of ordinary reality is consigned either to mental illness or to a transcendental realm. In the reaction to drugs after WWII and especially during the 1960s, the classic psychedelics were said to be psychotomimetic or hallucinogenic. In other words, the visions they occasioned were regarded as similar to mental illness. What else could there be, other than ordinary reality and distortions of it?
Except theology. So, as a new name for the hippies psychedelics, people who knew awe is the most important effect concocted the name entheogens, meaning they awaken the god within. The name was ambiguous about whether this god was transcendental or immanent, was a God familiar from the old-time religions with their temples, churches, and mosques or the sort of being who is prayed to or suggested by the increasingly popular phrase, spiritual but not religious.
The classic psychedelics are only one way to get beyond the limitations of ordinary reality, and they don't always effect a change. Even when revelatory on the personal level, the experience may remain trivial socially. Many of us have met guides who say, you dont always get the trip you wanted, but you do get the trip you need. If only this were the case! But at least there is a chance, as with any of the other techniques catalogued so usefully by groups such as the Council on Spiritual Practices (CSP).
(Disclosure: I had the honor to serve on the CSP board for a while starting in the 1990s.)
A friend in touch with a high Google executive tells me that in that firm its a firing offense to shoot down a new idea before it has an opportunity to be thoroughly explored, before it may suggest yet other ideas, one of which may lead to a product. In the non-profit world, too, things that eventually lead to a revolution are often said to be impossible, ridiculous, or in the contemptuous phrase of a physicist, not even wrong. In retrospect, everybody knows that a certain concept is right, even obvious, but not when it was nearly dismissed.
In his influential history of science, Thomas Kuhn advanced the useful hypothesis that after people do normal science for a while, anomalies pile up, and a new paradigm appears that takes account of what did not fit within the old paradigm. Brilliant, except where does the new paradigm come from? To conjure up an intuitive leap is indisputably true, but doesn't tell how it happens. Most ideas that are outside the box will not prove to be true, but one may, and in order to obtain the one its necessary to generate and at least briefly tolerate all the others. The kind of mind that thinks outside the box is not necessarily the same mind that frames and conducts careful experiments to test an idea.
A realist painter has to see what is actually there in order to reproduce it, even when that perception adds little or nothing to our sense of the usefulness (or danger) of an object, such as a ceiling fan. In a similar way, what we call expanded consciousness may help us to get beyond narrow pragmatism.
The Morning Email
Wake up to the day's most important news.
- Entheogen - Wikipedia - May 4th, 2020
- The Return Trip: Psychedelics may come back from the abyss of illegality - Valley Advocate - November 23rd, 2019
- How San Francisco's Summer of Love sparked religious movements - The Oakland Press - August 25th, 2017
- 'Summer of Love' shaped American lives, spiritual expression - Houston Chronicle - July 29th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - The Independent - July 24th, 2017
- How San Francisco's Summer of Love sparked today's religious movements - Religion News Service - July 22nd, 2017
- The Poisoner: Pharmakos and Veneficus-Poisoner's Apothecary - Patheos (blog) - July 19th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the start of modern individualism - Metro Newspaper UK - July 8th, 2017
- The Summer of Love was more than hippies and LSD it was the ... - The Conversation UK - July 7th, 2017
- Entheogen - PsychonautWiki - July 1st, 2017
- The History and Possibilities of Putting Weed in Your Witchcraft - Seattle Weekly - June 29th, 2017
- Entheogens : Al-Kemi : spagyrics and alchemy - June 27th, 2017
- Virtual Reality Takes Consciousness Research into Mystic Realms of the Divine Play - The Sociable - June 26th, 2017
- Entheogen - June 15th, 2017
- Entheogens | Drug War Facts - June 5th, 2017
- Psychedelics touted as solution for society - Ashland Daily Tidings - June 1st, 2017
- The Deep Mind in the Cave: Awakening Consciousness in the Spirit of AI - The Sociable - May 20th, 2017
- What is the Difference Between Entheogens and Drugs? - May 14th, 2017
- OH to NY to AL: Claude Lawrence Cornett - Patheos (blog) - May 8th, 2017
- The Entheogenic Evolution | Free Podcasts | PodOmatic - May 6th, 2017
- 5 of the World's Most Mind-Bending Drug Cultures - National Geographic Australia - May 6th, 2017
- Lamp & Labyrinth: Conceptualizing a Multitude of Spirits - Patheos (blog) - May 2nd, 2017
- Dank Magic: How Witches Use Weed in Their Craft - Broadly - April 21st, 2017
- In Alabama church, marijuana is part of spiritual journey - Tuscaloosa News - March 23rd, 2017
- Pro-Marijuana Alabama Church Promotes Psychoactive Drugs as Medicine - MERRY JANE - March 21st, 2017
- So A Minister, A Rabbi And A Buddhist Took Drugs For Science... - Huffington Post South Africa (blog) - February 9th, 2017
- So A Minister, A Rabbi And A Buddhist Took Drugs For Science... - Huffington Post - February 7th, 2017
- A conversation with Haroon Mirza - Ocula Magazine - February 6th, 2017
- Entheogen | Psychology Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia - February 4th, 2017
- Entheogens - Reality Sandwich - February 4th, 2017
- Entheogens and Spirituality | Kava | Kratom | Teacher Plants - December 25th, 2016
- What are endeogens entheogens? - 5-MeO- DMT - November 30th, 2016
- Homepage of Martin W Ball - November 30th, 2016
- Urban Dictionary: entheogen - October 8th, 2016
- Entheogen - New World Encyclopedia - October 3rd, 2016
- In A Perfect World | Free Podcasts | PodOmatic - September 29th, 2016
- Entheogens - Imprint - August 10th, 2016
- Entheogens - reddit - July 29th, 2016
- Q&A: On David Icke, Expectations, Unconditional Love, Deja ... - July 5th, 2016
- Q&A: On David Icke, Expectations, Unconditional Love, Deja ... - July 3rd, 2016
- Watch: Entering Godmode How Entheogens Tap ... - Reset.me - June 27th, 2016
- Entheogens: mescaline, LSD, LSA, ALD, psilocybin, DMT ... - June 22nd, 2016
- Entheogens - The SpiritWiki - June 21st, 2016
- CSP: Entheogens - Council on Spiritual Practices - June 21st, 2016
- Entheogens: Whats in a Name? The Untold History of ... - June 19th, 2016
- Entheogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 17th, 2016
- Entheogens including Salvia, LSD, Peyote, and Mushrooms ... - June 17th, 2016
- Entheogens & Existential Intelligence: The Use of Plant ... - June 17th, 2016
- Entheogens & Existential Intelligence: The Use of Plant ... - June 16th, 2016
- Entheogens - Salvia Forum | Psychoactive Plants - June 12th, 2016
- Entheogens - Salvia Forum | Psychoactive Plants - June 10th, 2016