The lead item in Politicos signature morning newsletter asked if a certain public figure was losing his mind. His rants made him seem ever more unhinged. Then again, they might be theatrical, a way to keep you guessing as to whether hes just putting you on.
Those words, or their rough equivalents, were used scores if not hundreds of times to describe Donald Trump.
But they were written last Tuesday about Tucker Carlson. And they settled the matter: Hes the new Trump. Not Ron DeSantis. Not Josh Hawley. Not Rick Scott. Certainly not Ted Cruz.
Those other men are vying merely for Trumps political mantle, with the occasional side trip to Cancn.
Carlson is seizing Trumps theatrical mantle as well.
Moving to fill the empty space created by Trumps ejection from the White House, his banishment from social media and his petulant quasi-hibernation, Carlson is triggering the libs like Trump triggered the libs. Hes animating the pundits like Trump animated the pundits.
Case in point: Carlsons endlessly denounced, exhaustively parsed jeremiad against masks on his Fox News show on Monday night.
Your response when you see children wearing masks as they play should be no different from your response to seeing someone beat a kid at Walmart, Carlson railed. Call the police immediately. Contact child protective services. Keep calling until someone arrives. What youre looking at is abuse. Its child abuse.
What lunatic hyperbole. What ludicrous histrionics. And what timing. Carlson shares Trumps knack for that for figuring out precisely when, for maximum effect, to pour salt into a civic wound.
His free-the-children bunk played on the weariness of more than a year of coronavirus vigilance. It came just as Americans were puzzling over the need for masks once theyre vaccinated or when theyre outdoors. It was juiced by arguments about what degree of caution remains necessary and whats just muscle memory or virtue signaling.
And it was helpfully succinct and tidily packaged so that other commentators could tee off on it. Carlson understands what Trump always has and what every practiced provocateur does: You dont just give your detractors agita. You give them material. That way, everything you say has a lengthy half-life and durable shelf life.
Several shows on MSNBC covered Carlsons rant. Several shows on CNN, too. The View waded in. So did Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel. When youre the subject of late-night comedians monologues, youve really made it.
Just two and a half weeks earlier, another of Carlsons soliloquies in which he peddled the far-right paranoia about a Democratic Party scheme to have dark-skinned invaders from developing countries supplant white Christian Americans became its own news story, making him more of an actor in our national drama than a chronicler of it.
It was hardly his first lament about immigration, and he had dabbled in the great replacement theory before. But this time around it was more helpfully succinct, more tidily packaged, more honed. Every time they import a new voter, I become disenfranchised as a current voter, he fumed. I have less political power because they are importing a brand-new electorate.
He made voters sound like Mazdas and America like a car lot.
Like Trump, he has decided that virality is its own reward. And hes being amply rewarded, as exemplified in this very column. Id prefer to ignore him, but I face the same irreconcilable considerations that all the others who arent ignoring him do.
To give him attention is to play into his hands, but to do the opposite is to play ostrich. In April, his 8 p.m. Eastern show drew an average nightly audience of about three million viewers. That made him the most-watched of any cable news host ahead of Sean Hannity, ahead of Rachel Maddow and it meant that he was both capturing and coloring how many Americans felt about current events. His outbursts, no matter how ugly, are relevant.
Remind you of anyone now clomping through the sand traps near Mar-a-Loco?
The amount of real estate that Carlson occupies in political newsletters that I subscribe to seems to have grown in proportion to the amount that Trump has lost. (Thats my own replacement theory.) And it proves that we need not just villains but also certain kinds of villains: ones whose unabashed smugness, unfettered cruelty and undisguised sense of superiority allow us to return fire unsparingly and work out our own rage. Carlson, again like Trump, is cathartic.
Trumps dominance was so profound from early 2016 through early 2021 that theres now something of an obsession with naming his successor, even though its not at all clear that hes willing to be succeeded. All the men I mentioned earlier covet that crown. But not all of them fully understand that Trumps mtier wasnt politics. It was performance.
Carlson gets that. If advancing arguments was his exclusive or primary goal, he wouldnt allow for so much confusion regarding the flavor of his invective. But debates about whether hes genuinely making points or disingenuously pressing buttons might well be a ratings boon. To keep people guessing is to keep people tuned in.
Im not saying that hes Trumps doppelgnger. Hes neither orange nor ostentatious enough. He can be as verbally dexterous as Trump is oratorically incontinent, as brimming with information as Trump is barren of it. Carlson reminds you of a prep school debate team captain all puffed up at his lectern. Trump reminds you of a puffy reality-show ham what he was before he rode that escalator downward, a harbinger of the countrys trajectory under him.
But both barge through the contradictions of being both populists and plutocrats. Both pretend to be bad boys while living like good old boys. Both market bullying as bravery.
Part of the appeal of Carlsons show is its tendency to generate knockouts rather than split decisions, Kelefa Sanneh wrote in an excellent profile of Carlson in The New Yorker in 2017. His unofficial Reddit page features pictures of guests judged to have performed especially poorly; over each face is written wasted.
That wasted reminds me of Trumps loser. Its the vocabulary of mockery, a sport in which Carlson is a champion. But its stranger when played by him than when played by Trump, who never pretended to be thoughtful. Carlson was thoughtful, back in the days when he was writing long articles for ambitious magazines.
Then came television and then high-decibel duels on television and then Trump, the shark to Carlsons pilot fish. Carlson, who flattered him, got the time slot on Fox News that had belonged to Megyn Kelly, who feuded with Trump.
And now? The pilot fish has grown his own mighty jaws, and the oceans only a little bit safer.
Read the rest here:
- Facebook says Donald Trump to remain banned for two years, effective from Jan. 7 - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- No, Donald Trump didnt win Texas by a lot in 2020; it was among the worst GOP victory margins in decades - The Dallas Morning News - June 6th, 2021
- Did Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kris Kross Memes Have Already Begun - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2021
- The Confusing Law That Could Shape Trumps Legal Fate - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Republicans fear Trump will lead to a lost generation of talent - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump and why obstruction of justice matters - MSNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. joins Cameo | TheHill - The Hill - June 6th, 2021
- Don McGahn's Testimony Could Finally Break Donald Trump's Ability to Evade the Law - The New Republic - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump's new blog crashed after he posted an unverified claim about election fraud in Arizona - Business Insider - May 20th, 2021
- What we know about investigations looming over Donald Trump and Trump Organization - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump, coronavirus news & more: Whats trending today - cleveland.com - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump flies north for the summer to New Jersey golf club - The Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Is An Exemplary Tenant, Says His Washington D.C. Landlord - Forbes - May 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden proves an elusive target for Republicans. After Cheney fight, their focus is back on the president - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Bashes 2020 Presidential Election As 'Crime Of The Century' - HuffPost - May 20th, 2021
- Does Donald Trump Know He Could Be Arrested This Year? - Yahoo Entertainment - May 20th, 2021
- Trumps Social Media Magic Appears to Be Wearing Off - Vanity Fair - May 11th, 2021
- Bennet Wants White House Review Of Trump's Decision To Move Space Command Away From Colorado Springs - Colorado Public Radio - May 11th, 2021
- Mike Pence looks at the 2024 presidential race but sees Donald Trump everywhere - South Bend Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Glaring Problem With GOP's Trump Obsession. He Doesn't Need Them Anymore - Business Insider - May 11th, 2021
- Is there a Snapple Fact that says that Donald Trump lost? Lid tweet goes viral! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - May 11th, 2021
- The Truth About Melania And Donald Trump's Relationship Today - Nicki Swift - May 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog ... - May 9th, 2021
- What will Facebooks ban mean for Donald Trumps future? - Brookings Institution - May 9th, 2021
- Murphy gliding in NJ's primary; GOP wrestling with Trump - Associated Press - May 9th, 2021
- Trump wouldn't be the first ex-president to run again but he might be the last - Salon - May 9th, 2021
- Caitlyn Jenner praises Donald Trump and says she's in favor of building 'the wall' in Sean Hannity interview - Business Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Republicans cry big tech bias on the very platforms they have dominated - The Guardian - May 9th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Doctor against medical marijuana; readers address Donald Trump's lie, Medicaid expansion - The Topeka Capital-Journal - May 9th, 2021
- Donald Trump's Adult Children Are Still Costing Taxpayers Thousands Of Dollars A Day - HuffPost - May 7th, 2021
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- What happened during the Jan. 6 call between Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy? - PolitiFact - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- Donald Trump is ditching the spray tan, M&M's, and even ... - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Foxconn mostly abandons $10 billion Wisconsin project touted by Donald Trump - Moneycontrol - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Lindell pranked on livestream by caller pretending to be Donald Trump - Yahoo News - April 21st, 2021
- What Ever Happened to Donald Trump? - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trumps 757 Could Be Worth Millions On The Ground - Forbes - April 17th, 2021
- 10 Things in Politics: Donald Trump ditches his spray tan - Business Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Jake Paul: Donald Trump Jr. promotes Youtuber's fight with Ben Askern - Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Borat Trolls Donald Trump's Election Lies In Never-Before-Seen Footage Teaser - HuffPost - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump hit with $1 trillion lawsuit over massive COVID-19 death toll in US - Salon - April 17th, 2021