The Patriot Ledger
Did you know there is a Boston Harbor Island you can walk to at low tide from Quincys Squaw Rock?
Thompson Island is a Boston Harbor Island that can be accessed at low tide by a large sandbar. This means you can walk from Nickerson Beach in Squantum, Quincy to Thompson Island. Manytimeseach month, the tide will be so low you can walk across the spit and visit the beaches surrounding Thompson Island for several hours. It is a beautiful way to spend time outdoors.
The law that allows people to walk the spit from Quincy to Thompson Island is called the Colonial Ordinance.The Colonial Ordinance reserved three specific and important rights of public use within the private tidelands for fishing, fowling, and navigation.
The permissible uses are interpreted by Massachusetts Court as 1) the right to fish on foot or from a vessel; 2) the right to navigate, including windsurfing and sailing; and 3) the right to hunt birds for sport on foot, which also covers birdwatching. Accordingly, the public has access to any so-called private beach or tideland area as long as they are legitimately engaged in fishing, fowling, or navigation.
In 2002, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the U.S. National Park Service paid $4 million to Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center to agree to a Grant of Conservation Restriction, which designated most of the east and west ends of the island asconservationareas, and protected them from development. Thompson Island is required to allow unescorted public access to theseconservationareas year-round via ferry, but this isnt happening.
In addition to preserving theconservationareas, the Conservation Restriction is also supposed to enhance public access of Thompson Island. In 2002, the year the Conservation Restriction Grant for Thompson Island Outward Bound was signed, there were 19,000 visitors to Thompson Island. This number included 5,600 participants in educational programs. This was according to the Boston Harbor Island General Management Plan. In 2012, when Marc Albert of the National Park Service did the Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center assessment, he noted there were only 128 visitors. He stated in his report, this was a problem that needed a solution.
Thompson Island is supposed to be open to the public, but this isnt happening. Instead, a very few Boston Public School children spend a bit of time there. Thompson Island is really being used to raise lots of money with corporate events. Arthur Pearson, CEO of Thompson Island Outward Bound,is paid an exorbitant amount of money as the head of anon-governmental organization.
There are twoseparate,but equally important issues. First, the Colonial Ordinance allows for citizens to walk on the spit between Quincy and Thompson Island. And walk the beaches as long as they are birding, fishing, or navigating. It would be important to carry either a camera, binoculars, or a fishing rod. Sadly, Thompson Island Outward Bound Island staff is illegally telling people to leave the beaches.I understand fromAlbert of the National Park Servicethat,the public is allowed to access the tidal areas. (Marc Albert email 10/2/20).
The second issue is the Conservation Restriction Grant that was signed in 2002.Thompson Island Outward Bound Education has not honored the Conservation Restriction and National Park Service and the Department of Conservation and Recreationare not enforcing the Conservation Restriction.Thompson Island does not pay taxes. They contribute nothing but providing a brief learning experience for Boston Public School children. Thompson Island Outward Bound is required to provide access to the island year-round.
It is time that Thompson Island Outward Bound be held accountable. It is time for Michael CreaseyatNational Park Service and James Montgomeryatthe Department of Conservation and Recreationto do their jobs.
People more than ever need a green space. Walking across the spit along the beaches around Thompson Island, according to Colonial Law, will provide this opportunity.This is an issue of environmental justice. Otherwise, the Boston Harbor Islands are only available if you have lots of cash for a boat ride.
Joan Delaney is a family nurse practitioner, life-long Quincy resident, and believes that a small group of people can bring about meaningful change.
See original here:
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021
- Inside the vintage school bus that's one of Kent's most unique Airbnbs - Kent Live - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know about the coronavirus right now - Gibraltar Chronicle - May 9th, 2021
- J. Prince Appears to Have Bought His Own Private Island: 'They Said It Couldn't Be Done' - Complex - April 19th, 2021
- You can rent an entire private island in Ireland with your mates for 40pppn including a bar, sauna and h... - The Sun - April 19th, 2021
- This Country Wants You To Visit So Badly, Itll Give You A Covid Vaccine - Forbes - April 19th, 2021
- How the Lush Caribbean Island of Dominica Became a Superyacht Haven - Robb Report - April 19th, 2021
- Where Is the MSC Fleet of Cruise Ships? - Cruise Industry News - April 19th, 2021
- Prince Philip funeral: Prince Harry, Andrew have awkward reunion - Insider - April 19th, 2021
- Russia explores the world-class surf spots of Kuril Islands - SurferToday - April 19th, 2021
- Whos who in House of Gucci, the new crime and fashion saga - Metro US - April 19th, 2021
- The Hottest Features The Rich Are Craving For Their Next Home - NDTV - April 19th, 2021
- Fodors names Georgia island among nations best to visit - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 2nd, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2021
- Security escorts, chartered planes, Rolls-Royces: Inside the luxe tours of FlyEast Philippines - TTG Asia - April 2nd, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 2nd, 2021
- Your Own Private Island in Tahiti Is Only a Flight Away - Locale Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - March 31st, 2021
- Milgate to lead Velaa Private Island in the Maldives - Breaking Travel News - March 31st, 2021
- Secret Mediterranean: where to stay on the best hidden islands - Telegraph.co.uk - March 31st, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - March 31st, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - March 31st, 2021
- Best resorts in the San Juan Islands - seattlepi.com - March 31st, 2021
- 7 Successful Celebrity Investors | TheRichest - TheRichest - March 31st, 2021
- How the spending habits of Singapore's rich changed in the pandemic - Insider - March 31st, 2021
- NBA's Kevin Love & Model Kate Bock Share What They Eat on "Vegan - The Beet - March 31st, 2021
- Richard Branson Is Opening His Caribbean Private Island to the Public This Summer - Observer - March 25th, 2021
- The stunning private islands that cost less than the price of a two-bed flat in England... - The Sun - March 25th, 2021
- Stunning private islands cheaper than average 2-bedroom home in the UK - Daily Star - March 25th, 2021
- This $1.1 million island in Quebec is for sale (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Private island for sale in BC costs less than the average Vancouver home | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Escape to Figure Eight - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Coral Restoration And Why You Should Choose Hotels That Support It - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- Chance to make a moo-ve on West Calf island - Southern Star Newspaper - March 25th, 2021
- Remains of SoCal Marine Arrive Home Nearly 77 Years After He Was Killed in World War II - NBC Southern California - March 25th, 2021
- What it's Like to Live on a Remote Island in Indonesia During a Pandemic - Fodor's Travel - March 25th, 2021
- Puerto Rico awarded $900M to help boost islands education - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- World Rugby to help Pacific Island teams join Super Rugby in 2022 - ESPN - March 25th, 2021
- This entire Quebec island is on the market for $1.8 million (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 21st, 2021
- "Vaxication" In The Maldives: What To Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Malaysia - March 21st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Readies Cruises to the Bahamas and Mexico for June - Vanity Fair - March 21st, 2021
- Here's How To Plan The Maldives Trip Of Your Post-Quarantine Dreams - Essence - March 21st, 2021
- Happy Birthday Animal Crossing New Horizons! Year In Review For A Hall Of Fame Classic - Hot Hardware - March 21st, 2021
- 'Vaxication' in the Maldives: What to Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Singapore - March 21st, 2021
- The Most Popular Place to Visit the Channel Islands National Park has reopened for recreation The Log - The Log Newspaper - March 21st, 2021
- Island Real Estate | Properties for Sale and Rent on Islands - January 25th, 2021
- Private Islands Online Australia - January 25th, 2021
- Travel Megatrends 2025: Cruise Lines Take Refuge in Their Private Islands - Skift - January 25th, 2021
- MSC Grandiosa to Resume Cruising Southern Europe on January 24 - Cruise Radio - January 25th, 2021
- British Virgin Islands at a crossroads as outgoing governor decries corruption - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- The Islands of Rockport spotlights modern luxury (Sponsored) - Chron - January 25th, 2021
- I explore a new beach every day: How the one per cent are doing Lockdown 3 - Telegraph.co.uk - January 25th, 2021
- Join Kevin McCloud in Italy and ride the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express - Countryliving (UK) - January 25th, 2021
- Here's what it costs to book Disneys new cruises to Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands - CNBC - January 25th, 2021
- Yes, more money will always make your life better, but thats not all there is to happiness, says new study - ZME Science - January 25th, 2021
- Castaway Cay is Hiring! What This Could Mean For Disney Cruise Line - Inside the Magic - January 9th, 2021
- Unique Escapes in 2021 for Travelers Who Have Been Everywhere - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Rebound Travel Technologies and The Rarotongan Resort Group Announce Strategic Partnership - PRNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- 4 great itineraries (and 1 to avoid) for a first cruise vacation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- For heavily indebted small islands, resilience-building is the best antidote - UNCTAD - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 Private Jet Destinations Around The World - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Things I've done that I'll never do again on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- Snapshot: private fund registration - what have we learnt? - Lexology - January 9th, 2021
- Sneak peek at Mackinac Islands Grand Hotel pool renovations: waterslide, cabanas, adults-only area - MLive.com - January 9th, 2021
- Verzuz's Virtual Return Shows Celebs Have Always Lived in Different Worlds - VICE - January 9th, 2021
- From Wealth TV to OAN - Rich Conservatives are Brainwashing the Country - City Watch - January 9th, 2021
- A Bostonian's Guide toHopefullyTraveling This Year - Boston magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Tree pods and beach bedrooms: Social distancing in the Maldives - CNBC - November 26th, 2020
- Scrub Island Resort to re-open | Business | virginislandsdailynews.com - Virgin Islands Daily News - November 26th, 2020
- What Does the Future of Luxury Travel Look Like in a Post-Coronavirus World? - Luxury Travel Magazine - November 26th, 2020
- Private Jetaway Is Leading the Way to Cabo San Lucas With Luxury Vetted Holiday Travel Retreats - PRNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Consumers are too lazy for The Truth about Amazon to really make a difference - iNews - November 26th, 2020
- Private islands, rather than ships, could make the difference in cruise rebound - TradeWinds - September 18th, 2020
- A private island off the coast of Ireland could be yours for 250,000 - The Spaces - September 18th, 2020