The extreme measures being taken in this state and the country to slow down the spread of COVID-19 has led to some fierce debates about the role of government vs. the liberty of individuals to make their own decisions.
Here in the Wenatchee Valley, Gov. Jay Inslees actions to shutter schools, close bars and restaurants (except for curbside pickup) and ban large gatherings hit a flashpoint when the owner of the Wok About Grill, Shon Smith, posted a defiant message on Facebook announcing he would not comply with the rules.
The posting started a firestorm of comments that at one point had 500 likes and 1,000 expressions of dislike. Smith ultimately chose to comply with state law, to his credit. We've all made decisions in the heat of the moment that we have regretted at least I know I have.
I am going to try to take a step back and see if I can put this in a larger context of whats happening in our society, because it is symptomatic of a fundamental divide in this country.
Those who liked Smiths initial decision talked about their admiration for his support of employees who would miss paychecks, which is a legitimate concern. We all need to be concerned and take meaningful actions to support local businesses and others when social distancing is the norm.
The other major thread in comments by those supporting his message was that government has no right to take such a unilateral action and that individual businesses (and I presume nonprofits) should make their own decisions.
Those who expressed exasperation with Smiths decision raised the issue of the impact of ones actions on the community as a whole. Were seeing the nightmare unfold in Italy where some seriously ill old people are not being treated because they lack the resources. They ignored it, as did the Trump Administration in the critical first weeks of the outbreak, resulting in a failure to be able to adequately test for the virus.
If we dont slow the spread of coronavirus by social distancing and extreme measures like shutting down sports and entertainment venues, we could well see the same scenario happening here. Thats the crucial argument for accepting these limitations on our liberty.
There is some value in the Libertarian mindset, but it raises a fundamental question of what kind society we wish to have. If individualism is the only thing that matters, does that mean individuals have no responsibility for the most vulnerable in our society or for the community as a whole? Why does it have to be either/or? Cant it be both/and?
Some time ago, a founder of the Tea Party and a devoted Libertarian, Matt Kibbe, had a dialogue with liberal activist Heather McGhee, moderated by Krista Tippett. They explored areas of common ground as well as areas of disagreement.
One of the things that McGhee appreciated about Libertarians was that they have been supportive of criminal justice reform to address the problem of mass incarceration in this country.
I was fascinated by Kibbes perspective on individual rights vis-a-vis caring for others. Libertarians are guilty of deemphasizing the importance of community, deemphasizing the value of helping other people, he said.
Kibbe emphasized the importance of cooperative action in community. And this is not because somebody long ago passed a law, he continued. Its because people working through their differences actually came up with a common set of understandings about how we could get along with each other.
We need to be supporting businesses and everyone who is going to be struggling to make ends meet in the coming weeks. We have a lot of children who need to be fed, families to be supported, elders to care for, etc.
We have people on the front lines medical personnel, firefighters, law enforcement and EMTs who will be putting their lives on the line helping those who are stricken.
This is a time to put the most vulnerable in our community first and ourselves second.
Go here to read the rest:
- Salter: The principles of '76: libertarianism and the Declaration of Independence - LubbockOnline.com - July 25th, 2021
- Living with Covid and extreme individualism - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- Bye-bye, bitcoin: It's time to ban cryptocurrencies | TheHill - The Hill - July 25th, 2021
- Man charged in Capitol riot investigation said Trump asked me to be here, documents show - KRON4 - July 25th, 2021
- Nancy Mace Called Herself a New Voice for the G.O.P. Then She Pivoted. - The New York Times - July 25th, 2021
- Major conservative group spotlights Sanders health care heist in new ad blitz - Fox News - July 25th, 2021
- Healthcare | Libertarian Party - July 23rd, 2021
- Faulconer Campaign in Dispute With State Over Title on Recall Ballot - NBC San Diego - July 23rd, 2021
- Social partitioning - The Nevada Independent - July 23rd, 2021
- Why a 19th-century Russian anarchist is relevant to the mask and vaccine debate - The Conversation US - July 23rd, 2021
- Viewpoint: If not the Municipal Auditorium, what could become the next City Hall? - Uptown Messenger - July 23rd, 2021
- Protest and Contest - Splice Today - July 23rd, 2021
- Here's Who's Running For CA Governor In The Upcoming Recall Election, So Far - LAist - July 18th, 2021
- Opinion: The parties to political irrelevance - Juneau Empire - July 18th, 2021
- The yoga and wellness worlds have a conspiracy problem - Vox.com - July 18th, 2021
- Conspiracy theories fuel French opposition to Covid-19 health pass - FRANCE 24 English - July 18th, 2021
- Conservative Radio Talk Show Host Larry Elder Officially In the Recall Race Against Newsom - Newsweek - July 14th, 2021
- LETTER: IRR not continuing the legacy of its founders - Business Day - July 14th, 2021
- Marginal Revolutionaries - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 14th, 2021
- Kentucky's Senators Have Long Differed On Afghanistan. Their Hunches Are Being Tested. - WUKY - July 14th, 2021
- After NYC, where will ranked-choice voting go next? - The Fulcrum - July 14th, 2021
- The stability of stablecoins is just another financial illusion - Mint - July 14th, 2021
- Schmidt; The real identity of liberty, and the Libertarian Party - Seguin Gazette-Enterprise - July 7th, 2021
- Libertarians of Mississippi to host rally on navigating politics - DeSoto Times-Tribune - July 7th, 2021
- One man's journey to the nexus of Libertarianism and Christianity - Shelbynews - July 7th, 2021
- Get ready for the Sept. 14 recall election - San Bernardino County Sun - July 7th, 2021
- Leo Morris column: Indiana - an independent state it its own way - The Herald Bulletin - July 7th, 2021
- Cryptocurrencies dream of escaping the global financial system is crumbling - The Guardian - July 7th, 2021
- Gov. DeSantis and the need for viewpoint diversity in higher education | Column - Tampa Bay Times - July 7th, 2021
- Letter: Writer doesn't know what the Tea Party was - INFORUM - July 7th, 2021
- With Capitalists Like These - Splice Today - July 7th, 2021
- Supreme Court to Hear Case on Government Aid to Religious Schools - The New York Times - July 2nd, 2021
- Rep. Kelly Sponsors Bill Seeking To End Non-Profits Funding Election Offices - ButlerRadio.com - Butler, PA - butlerradio.com - July 2nd, 2021
- Rep. Kelly, Members of the House Election Integrity Caucus Unveil Legislation to Keep Big Tech from Thumbing the Scales in US Elections - Mike Kelly - July 2nd, 2021
- How the Critical Race Theory Debate Misses the Mark - Reason - June 28th, 2021
- Stun and dismay follow Wyoming political espionage revelations - Oil City News - June 28th, 2021
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Based on relationship | Solve issues together - Arkansas Online - June 20th, 2021
- How the Houses Silicon Valley smackdown is dividing conservatives - POLITICO - June 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden's meeting with Putin, vaccine passports, nightclub shootings, and other top columns - USA TODAY - June 20th, 2021
- Louis Marinelli: Is Europe's interest in the 2014 Vrbetice Explosions driven by the Biden-Putin meeting? - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- Anthony Bland affirms plan to run for governor - Arkansas Times - June 20th, 2021
- Why the Texas ACA Suit Was Always Destined to Fail (Even on a 6-3 Court) - Reason - June 20th, 2021
- Biden Likely to Patch Things Up With Putin at Summit - Libertarian Party - UrduPoint News - June 20th, 2021
- How the Right Is Dividing over the Nature of Power - National Review - June 15th, 2021
- Colorado legislation could mean up to $617 million in tax and fee increases, think tank says - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - June 15th, 2021
- Meet the Conservative Evangelicals Practicing 'Strategic Hibernation' in the American Northwest - ChristianityToday.com - June 15th, 2021
- Finance Colombia The Reason Foundation's Daniel Raisbeck On What Peru's Election Can Tell Us About Economic Liberty In Colombia & Latin America -... - June 15th, 2021
- You can't tell the Republicans from the Democrats in state Legislature - Gaston Gazette - June 11th, 2021
- Paul Krugman's 10-Year History of Being Wrong About Bitcoin - Reason - June 11th, 2021
- Rossi holds big lead in 59th Legislative District special election - TribDem.com - May 22nd, 2021
- A Top Rand Paul Donor Is Dropping Big Bucks to Elect Andrew Yang Mother Jones - Mother Jones - May 22nd, 2021
- Wingfield: Reagan's words on government programs still ring true - Savannah Morning News - May 22nd, 2021
- Georgia Lawmakers Grapple With Role Of Social Media Companies And Free Speech | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - May 22nd, 2021
- Will a Coalition of Hawks, Mormons, and Libertarian-Leaners Form a New Third Party? - Reason - May 18th, 2021
- Johnson the civil libertarian wants to have his voter ID card and eat it - MSN UK - May 18th, 2021
- Special interests flood the mayor's race as candidates race to the finish line - Politico - May 18th, 2021
- Matthew McConaughey is 'making calls' as he mulls a run for Texas governor - The Independent - May 18th, 2021
- 3 candidates vie to fill vacancy in 59th district special election - TribLIVE - May 14th, 2021
- Robb Luther to appear as Libertarian candidate on ballot for 59th District seat - latrobebulletinnews.com - May 14th, 2021
- Election roundup: Essaibi George gets the nod from Gross; Libertarians jump into council race - Universal Hub - May 14th, 2021
- The Rise of the Thielists - The New Yorker - May 14th, 2021
- Government accused of nutty nanny statism over junk food ad ban - Evening Standard - May 14th, 2021
- Hart: Biden and Carter are two peanuts in the same shell game - Chattanooga Times Free Press - May 14th, 2021
- LETTER: It's time to look for another party - Meadville Tribune - May 14th, 2021
- PURPLE IS THE NEW PARTY | What is a Republican today? - Ventura County Reporter - May 14th, 2021
- Top fiscal conservative group targeting Bidens infrastructure proposal with new campaign - Fox Business - May 14th, 2021
- Public records law that ignores reality will always fall short - The Nevada Independent - May 14th, 2021
- Covid, Liberty and Responsibility: Where's the Line? - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- Judge: Arizona political parties don't have to be invited to extra election recounts - Your Valley - May 9th, 2021
- Why Trump is more likely to win in the GOP than to take his followers to a new third party - The Conversation US - May 9th, 2021
- Meet the Dream Team Suing the Biden Administration Over Your Right To Sell Your Kidney - Reason - May 9th, 2021
- The 'Post-Covid-19 World' Will Never Come. - Scoop.co.nz - May 9th, 2021
- The Red Flags in Biden's State of the Union Address - Reason - May 9th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Thoughts on Charen, Biden, race relations, military - TribLIVE - May 1st, 2021
- Editorial: On women in office, we're still only getting there - Plattsburgh Press Republican - May 1st, 2021
- Top elections official admits fundraising error - The Herald - May 1st, 2021
- Bring civility back to politics -- and to life in general - darnews.com - May 1st, 2021
- McNeely: McConaughey for governor? | Opinion | news-journal.com - Longview News-Journal - April 29th, 2021
- Candidates seeking 48th Senatorial District seat put their differences on display - PennLive - April 23rd, 2021
- Pellerin: Don't flout COVID rules in the name of 'freedom' - London Free Press (Blogs) - April 21st, 2021