By Jim Stafford For The Oklahoman Published: August 15, 2017 5:00 AM CDT Updated: August 15, 2017 5:00 AM CDT
Let's say that you roll into the local gas station, insert the nozzle of the gas pump into your vehicle and begin filling the fuel tank. Just as the tank is topped off and you are about to take the nozzle out of the car, your phone rings with an important call.
Distracted, you take the call, wander back to the driver's seat, start your car up and drive off with the nozzle still inserted.
Embarrassing, sure. But it's not a total disaster because fuel pumps at the nation's gas stations are equipped with breakaway valves that seal off on both ends. That ensures that a huge fuel spill doesn't happen and guards against a possible fire.
A similar scenario occurs every day in hospital rooms across the nation, says Dr. Ryan Dennis. Dennis works at an Oklahoma City hospital as a hospitalist, a physician who specializes in caring for patients ill enough to be admitted.
Dennis is founder and CEO of Linear Health Sciences, which created patented breakaway technology called the Orchid Valve to prevent accidental disconnects of IV tubing from patients in the hospital.
The concept was conceived after Dennis witnessed repeated disconnections among his hospital patients. Statistics show that one in four IV lines is accidentally disconnected from patients, he said. It can be painful, messy, and time consuming to replace and costly.
As Dennis recently demonstrated the Orchid Valve, he described a scenario with one of his patients that the technology could have prevented.
One night a patient had a chest tube for a collapsed lung, he said. She got up to go to the bathroom. But when she did, the chest tube got caught in the bed rail and ripped the chest tube out, causing her lung to collapse again.
The patient suffered a long, painful night with a partially collapsed lung before the situation was remedied the next morning.
I thought it was ridiculous that we are relying on sutures or tape or other adhesives to hold in the very things that are connecting patients to life-sustaining treatment, Dennis said. Ultimately, I was able to put together an all-star team and think outside of the box for a solution.
The brainstorming resulted in the Orchid Valve, composed entirely of silicon and plastic so that it can be used even when the patient has an MRI. Co-founder with Dennis in Linear Health Sciences is Dan Clark.
We are trying to completely transform the way that patients are connected to their treatments, Dennis said. It's costing the hospital about $50 every time one of these IVs is pulled out.
A native of Macomb and graduate of the Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics, Dennis earned his undergraduate degree at the University of Chicago before returning to Oklahoma to earn his M.D. at the University of Oklahoma. Dennis is an MBA candidate at the University of Oklahoma.
The company has accomplished several critical milestones along the way. It has created a working prototype of its device. It has closed a $1.25 million investment round led by i2E Inc. that Dennis anticipates will support development of the Orchid Valve through the FDA approval process.
And in 2016, Linear Health Sciences was named one of 20 ventures chosen out of 430 candidates worldwide to become a Medtech Innovator company in Palo Alto, California.
However, Oklahoma's startup ecosystem has also benefited the company, from the local investment to i2E's Venture Assessment Program to support from the Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science and Technology (OCAST), Dennis said.
Oklahoma is a viable place for startups to set their roots, he said. We have organizations like i2E and OCAST that provide support from the bottom up. And we have the talent pool for excellence locally.
It should all come to fruition by next year for Linear Health Sciences when the Orchid Valve is expected to be FDA-approved and becomes an essential part of the hospital experience for patients.
If we can provide a $2 solution, and patients are pulling out 25 percent of their IVs, hospitals will be making a significant dent in the problem and actually saving money, he said. The Orchid Valve will add patient savings, satisfaction and convenience for the nurses.
Jim Stafford writes about Oklahoma innovation and research and development topics on behalf of the Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science & Technology.
Read the original here:
- 16 Predictions on the Future of Technology - Barron's - October 24th, 2019
- Technology Investment Must Go Beyond Single Use Cases - Government Technology - October 24th, 2019
- Samsung Showcases Its Latest Silicon Technologies for the Next Wave of Innovation at Annual Tech Day - Samsung Newsroom - October 24th, 2019
- We Could Go to Venus with Today's Technology, Scientists Say - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- We Have the Tools and Technology to Work Less and Live Better - Singularity Hub - October 24th, 2019
- Why the World of WATCHMEN Rejected Technology - Nerdist - October 24th, 2019
- Electron Beam Technology researched at Texas A&M - KBTX - October 24th, 2019
- The most in-demand technologies for IT professionals - TechRepublic - October 24th, 2019
- Toledo Technology 5k to support battered women - 13abc Action News - October 24th, 2019
- Technology may make umpires a job of the past - New York Post - October 24th, 2019
- Broadway in Bed: Technology Is Remaking How We See the Ancient Art of Theater - NBC New York - October 24th, 2019
- BP to test technology to recycle plastic bottles again and again - Reuters - October 24th, 2019
- The Antique Technology Still Taking the Ocean's Pulse - Hakai Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- Twitter shares slump as revenues dip and costs rise - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Caregiving Online Technology and Dementia: How to Keep Your Loved Ones Safe More families face dilemmas - Next Avenue - October 24th, 2019
- Looking back at the future of warfare - MIT Technology Review - October 24th, 2019
- Geospatial peacekeeping: How soldiers and technology can help fight poverty - Brookings Institution - October 24th, 2019
- How India's farmers are using technology to feed more than a billion people - CNN - October 24th, 2019
- 10 Technologies From Black Mirror That Have Already Been Invented - Screen Rant - October 24th, 2019
- Rayvolt's X One Redefines The E-Bike Category With 21st Century Technologies - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Space Companies Are Investing Big in 5G Technology - Space.com - October 24th, 2019
- Sign of the times: Can hugging machines solve the touch crisis? - Big Think - October 24th, 2019
- HP Calls Out the Many Ways Technology Has Stripped Our Lives of Authenticity - Adweek - October 24th, 2019
- Our fears will be realised if we become afraid of technology - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Gimbal technology and the endless push for innovation - Screen Africa - October 24th, 2019
- What happens if your mind lives for ever on the internet? - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- The Benefits Of Applying Blockchain Technology In Any Industry - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Live Caption, Googles automatic captioning technology, is now available on Pixel 4 - TechCrunch - October 16th, 2019
- Drones, apps and smart lockers: The technology transforming healthcare in Africa - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Mind-reading technology is everyone's next big security nightmare - ZDNet - October 16th, 2019
- The 7 Biggest Technology Trends That Will Transform Telecoms In 2020 - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Role Of Technology In The Evolution Of Communication - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- The Revolutionary Impact Of Immersive Technology On Education - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Super-Resolution Imaging Technologies in Life Science | 2019-2024 Technology Highlights and Market Outlook - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Schools should take the occasional break from technology - here's why - Study International News - October 16th, 2019
- Finding a balance between security and responsive technology - ITProPortal - October 16th, 2019
- NBN chief blames Australia's poor speed rating on 'unrepresentative' data - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- 5 smart home technology trends to keep your eye on in 2019 - Silicon Canals - October 16th, 2019
- Technology has changed the world, the world has changed technology - The Upcoming - October 16th, 2019
- Technology sparks dramatic rise in scams reported to the Lincoln Police Dept. - 1011now - October 16th, 2019
- Technology is redefining that client-financial advisor relationship - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- APPIX Officially Launches Incredible Broadcast Technology That Creates Immersive Experiences And Audience Engagement At Concerts And Events - MarTech... - October 16th, 2019
- Gathr Lab Launches New Technology Set to Break the Black-Box Approach and Empower Marketers to Understand, Reach and Grow Their Audiences - Business... - October 16th, 2019
- Integrating the Science of How We Learn into Education Technology - Harvard Business Review - October 16th, 2019
- Google And Levis Partner Up To Bring Us Wearable Technology - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- UK vulnerable to malicious meddling in election, warns study - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Food Science and Technology job with BNU-HKBU UNITED INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE | 183631 - Times... - October 16th, 2019
- Digital welfare state: big tech allowed to target and surveil the poor, UN is warned - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- South Korean startups gather momentum - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Technology killing off corporate America: Average life span of companies under 20 years - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Automated technology isn't going anywhere and it's changing ... - USA TODAY - August 25th, 2017
- AMD Technology Falls Short... Really? - Seeking Alpha - August 25th, 2017
- Morgan Stanley: This next big technology trend could start the 'fourth industrial revolution' - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Mortgage technology provider Blend raised another $100 million led by Greylock - TechCrunch - August 25th, 2017
- Philips to build health technology center in Tennessee - ABC News - August 25th, 2017
- Melinda Gates: I spent my career in technology. I wasn't prepared for ... - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Information technology can help build peace. This is how. - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Is Set to Disrupt Every Industry--and Music Is Next - Inc.com - August 22nd, 2017
- Campus police using technology to solve and prevent crimes - The Rolla Daily News - August 22nd, 2017
- 3 ways blockchain technology will change how we game - VentureBeat - August 20th, 2017
- Kenyan Girls Use Technology to Combat Genital Cutting - Voice of America - August 20th, 2017
- Taking a stand on Charlottesville, technology companies seek balance with free speech - The Independent - August 20th, 2017
- Technology and the New Republic just never seemed to click - The Guardian - August 20th, 2017
- Arizona edges to front of states eyeing blockchain technology - Arizona Daily Star - August 18th, 2017
- How technology is about to transform the way we save cash forever - Telegraph.co.uk - August 18th, 2017
- Tester talks technology with local business leaders - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle - August 18th, 2017
- 5 Questions: Is your child addicted to technology? - Philly.com - August 18th, 2017
- Opinion: This technology shift opens up new possibilities for iPhones, Androids and virtual reality - MarketWatch - August 16th, 2017
- The glow of technology has a dark side - Houston Chronicle - August 16th, 2017
- How Technology is Now Empowering Educators - Inc.com - August 15th, 2017
- How Technology Might Get Out of Control - Bloomberg - August 15th, 2017
- Trump administration goes after China over intellectual property, advanced technology - Washington Post - August 15th, 2017
- Building technology in Oklahoma, shipping all over the world - NewsOK.com - August 15th, 2017
- Modernizing Government Technology Act to get second path to passage in Senate NDAA - FederalNewsRadio.com - August 14th, 2017
- ASCAP Names Tristan Boutros Chief Technology Officer - Variety - August 14th, 2017
- This Technology Could Stop the World's Deadliest Animal - Mother Jones - August 14th, 2017
- Technology Speeds Up Timeline on Quarterly Close - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 14th, 2017
- Trump Administration to Begin Probe of Alleged Chinese Technology Theft - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - August 13th, 2017
- 'Blockchain technology will change the world': Fidelity Labs SVP - CNBC - August 13th, 2017
- Victoria Teo, Technology Field, Sustainability, and the Roman Goddess - The Good Men Project (blog) - August 13th, 2017