British Prime Minister Boris Johnson name-checked decarbonisation as he celebrated a decisive general election victory that leaves the offshore wind industry hoping he will keep his promises, makes Brexit a certainty, and raises questions over the future in the UK of Scotland and its massive renewable resources.
Johnson flagged a desire to make the UK the cleanest, greenest nation after his Conservatives crushed the Labour opposition, which ran on a broadly hard-left ticket, to remain in power and secure his partys largest majority in the House of Commons since Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s.
The Conservative election campaign contained few concrete pledges on green issues, preferring to lean on the 2050 net-zero carbon goal already put in place by Johnsons predecessor Theresa May when challenged over its climate ambitions.
The big exception was offshore wind, where the Conservatives made specific mention of boosting to 40GW a 2030 goal that currently stands at 30GW, along with a pledge to back floating wind technology. As in so many other areas of policy, the sector will now await the detail behind the number, but the fact that both major parties backed an increase leaves the UKs world-leading offshore wind sector well placed to play a central role in national industrial policy.
The same cannot be said of other renewable technologies. The Conservatives have excluded both onshore wind and solar from the contract-for-difference (CfD) support mechanism, with no immediate signs of a rethink on that.
With Brexit set to in Johnsons words get done by the end of January at least as far as a withdrawal agreement is concerned the offshore wind sector should at least see an easing of the rolling deadlines that caused stockpiling against a no deal Brexit this year.
However, longer-term the uncertainty remains over the detailed future relationship between the UK and EUs energy markets. And while Johnson triumphed in England and Wales, the Scottish National Party (SNP) swept the board in Scotland, strengthening its calls for another referendum on independence for the devolved nation, the biggest source of UK onshore wind power and a growing force offshore.
Early reaction to Johnsons win stressed the need for urgent policy action to push the UK towards net-zero.
Hugh McNeal, CEO of wind-focused industry group RenewableUK, said: We look forward to working with the new government to grow the UKs renewable energy sector and deliver on the commitments to 40GW of offshore wind by 2030 and developing floating wind projects.
The voters have sent a clear signal that climate action must be a top priority, and the eyes of the world will be on the UK as we host the UN global climate summit, so this Government must take urgent action to get the country on track for net zero.
Power sector umbrella group Energy UK's policy director Audrey Gallacher added: While Brexit will continue to dominate the political agenda, and there will be important issues to now focus on as we look to the future relationship with Europe, we must also quickly break the hiatus in energy policy.
Nick Molho, executive director of the Aldersgate Group think-tank said: The governments policy decisions in this parliamentary term will be absolutely critical. They will determine whether the UK is genuinely on track for achieving its net zero target and reversing the decline of the natural environment within a generation.
They will also determine whether UK businesses can become amongst the most competitive providers of low carbon goods and services globally.
The UK Renewable Energy Association said: The climate emergency is the biggest challenge that we face and this is the pivotal moment. The new government must now implement credible policy to decarbonise the economy in line with our net-zero targets.
To achieve this, the new government must be more ambitious and commit to wholesale systems change across energy, in particular for transport and waste, required to unleash the full potential of renewable energy and clean technology.
Note: Update adds comments
See the original post here:
- Petrofac hands over BorWin3 offshore wind grid connection project to TenneT - WorldOil - February 16th, 2020
- RENEWABLE ENERGY: Offshore wind: What are Trump's 'true intentions'? - E&E News - February 16th, 2020
- BP awards Oceaneering two light well intervention projects offshore Angola - WorldOil - February 16th, 2020
- Offshore Wind Predicitive Maintenance Project Kicks Off - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- Keppel associate drops merger bid to create offshore housing giant - The Straits Times - February 16th, 2020
- Groton Startup ThayerMahan Grows to Capture Offshore Wind and Electric Boat Opportunities - CT Examiner - February 16th, 2020
- Cognite and Aker BP to explore robotics in oil and gas operations - Offshore Technology - February 16th, 2020
- NABU Objects to Gennaker Offshore Wind Project - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- Cruise Ship Welcomed by Cambodia Is Anchored Offshore Pending Coronavirus Check - Voice of America - February 16th, 2020
- Diamond Offshore: The Slide Continues - Seeking Alpha - February 16th, 2020
- State pier project to bring more jobs, offshore wind center to New London - WTNH.com - February 16th, 2020
- UK has 'washed its hands' of offshore jobs - reNEWS - February 16th, 2020
- TenneT Gathers 2GW Offshore Grid Connection Team - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- SPT Offshore to Deliver 2 Met Masts in China - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- Africa Oil receives approval to acquire interest in South Africa's block - Offshore Technology - February 16th, 2020
- With focus on solar and offshore wind, Taiwan should not neglect geothermal - ThinkGeoEnergy - February 16th, 2020
- EDF Takes 50% Stake in 1GW Irish Offshore Wind Farm - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- Offshore worker tests negative for coronavirus - Shetland News - February 16th, 2020
- Fed review of offshore wind projects raising concerns - Newsday - January 27th, 2020
- 2020 Expected to Transform the Offshore Supply Chain - The Maritime Executive - January 27th, 2020
- Is Germany's offshore sector about to hit the buffers too? - Windpower Monthly - January 27th, 2020
- Acoustic survey to study right whales, fish around offshore wind projects - WorkBoat - January 27th, 2020
- Floating production market outlook continues to improve - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- SAExploration Announces $42 Million of New Projects in Offshore West Africa, and Reduction in Debt of $14.5 Million - Yahoo Finance - January 27th, 2020
- EDPR and Engie Join Forces With Aim to Rank Among Top 5 Offshore Wind Developers - Greentech Media News - January 25th, 2020
- Acoustic survey to study right whales, fish around offshore wind projects - National Fisherman - January 25th, 2020
- Star of the South Subsea Surveys to Begin in February - Offshore WIND - January 25th, 2020
- World's Largest Offshore Wind Farm Will Power 4.5 Million Homes - Singularity Hub - January 25th, 2020
- New Zealand Bans Offshore Oil and Gas Drilling - One Green Planet - January 25th, 2020
- Wind power could be dominant offshore energy focus within 5 years - Houston Chronicle - January 25th, 2020
- 01/20/2020 | Hundreds Attend Offshore Wind Hearing In Ocean City | News Ocean City - The Dispatch - January 25th, 2020
- After Years Of Slow Action On Climate Change, What Sets Offshore Wind Apart For N.H.? - New Hampshire Public Radio - January 25th, 2020
- Offshore wind giant Orsted favors small deals over big M&A: CEO - Reuters - January 25th, 2020
- Visiongain has Forecasted That the Global Offshore Oil & Gas Decommissioning Market will See a Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) of $8279 Million -... - January 25th, 2020
- Teekay Offshore Partners Announces Completion of Its Acquisition by Brookfield, Changes to Board of Directors and Plan to Rebrand as Altera... - January 25th, 2020
- Ruthin firm starts work on the world's largest offshore wind farm - Denbighshire Free Press - January 25th, 2020
- Offshore drilling ban, veterans in nursing, and medical marijuana on State House minds this week - WLTX.com - January 25th, 2020
- France ups offshore wind ambitions - 4C Offshore - January 25th, 2020
- Why 36One lost its appeal over offshore funds - Business Day - January 25th, 2020
- Research project to test zero emission technology on Viking Energy - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - January 25th, 2020
- Turkey receives invitation from Somalia to explore offshore oil - Offshore Technology - January 25th, 2020
- Eni Begins Production From Agogo Oilfield Offshore Angola - Nasdaq - January 25th, 2020
- Day #4 Morning Report: Start of Doublehanded Offshore Event, Weather and Conditions - US SAILING - January 25th, 2020
- RPS to Conduct Star of the South Environmental Studies - Offshore WIND - January 25th, 2020
- First Foundation In at Triton Knoll - Offshore WIND - January 25th, 2020
- UK looks to offshore wind for green energy transition - FRANCE 24 - January 25th, 2020
- Japan tax evasion hunt extends to nearly 2m offshore accounts - Nikkei Asian Review - December 13th, 2019
- US offshore wind project hits back at bird groups over lawsuit - Recharge - December 13th, 2019
- Expressions of interest sought for mixed two-handed offshore keelboat for Paris 2024 - The Irish Times - December 13th, 2019
- LR: UK Offshore Wind Leasing Round 4 to Be Highly Competitive - Offshore WIND - December 13th, 2019
- More SGX FX futures traded in Nov amid surge in offshore yuan contracts - The Business Times - December 13th, 2019
- New Task Force Will Consider Leases For Offshore Wind Energy Developers In The Gulf Of Maine - Maine Public - December 12th, 2019
- Denmark plans $30 billion offshore wind island that could power 10 million homes - Reuters - December 12th, 2019
- Offshore Wind May Help The Planet But Will It Hurt Whales? - NPR - December 12th, 2019
- Denmark plans $30 bn offshore wind island that could power 10 million homes - Economic Times - December 12th, 2019
- New Hampshire Governor Signs Offshore Wind Executive Order - Offshore WIND - December 12th, 2019
- US bird groups in legal challenge to Great Lakes offshore wind - Recharge - December 12th, 2019
- iM Global Partner appoints head of sales for US Offshore and Latin America Markets - HedgeWeek - December 12th, 2019
- Equinor buys offshore windfarm projects in Poland - Power Technology - December 12th, 2019
- MO4 and Seaqualize Take Home Offshore Wind Innovation Awards - Offshore WIND - December 12th, 2019
- Jumanji: The Next Level Notches $53M In Early Offshore Bow; Many Markets Up, But China Not Game; Frozen 2 Plows To $920M WW International Box Office... - December 12th, 2019
- More discoveries needed to sustain long-term offshore developments - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 12th, 2019
- To those stuck in offshore detention: we will keep fighting for you. The medevac repeal is not the end - The Guardian - December 12th, 2019
- Vineyard Wind: delayed project reveals bluster in US's offshore wind ambitions - Power Technology - December 4th, 2019
- Huawei urging suppliers to break the law by moving offshore: Ross - Reuters - December 4th, 2019
- As Nation Transfixed by Impeachment, Trump Quietly Provides Offshore Drilling Industry 'Sweetheart Giveaway' - Common Dreams - December 4th, 2019
- Why Dominion's Approach to Offshore Wind May Prove Costly to Consumers - WVTF - December 4th, 2019
- Lowdon named Director of Strategic Development for the National Offshore Wind Institute at BCC - SouthCoastToday.com - December 4th, 2019
- Natural gas of Israel's largest offshore field to start flowing within two weeks - Haaretz - December 4th, 2019
- HMRC lacks staff to investigate over 5.7 million offshore tip-offs - International Investment - December 4th, 2019
- ERSG to build Asian offshore wind teams - reNEWS - December 4th, 2019
- Orsted in global offshore wind shake-up as Clark takes UK top job - Recharge - December 4th, 2019
- Saipem 7000 to install NnG foundation jackets offshore Scotland - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 4th, 2019
- Investing offshore: Keeping things simple helps you stick to your investment plan - Daily Maverick - December 4th, 2019
- VAALCO continues production boosting measures offshore Gabon - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 4th, 2019
- Offshore Wind: The New Frontier in Powering Platforms? - Oil and Gas Facilities - December 4th, 2019
- Offshore investing - Why keeping it simple can be the best approach - Fin24 - December 4th, 2019
- Triumph of the yuan: read more in the latest issue of Offshore Technology Focus - Offshore Technology - December 4th, 2019
- Here is What Hedge Funds Think About KNOT Offshore Partners LP (KNOP) - Yahoo Finance - December 4th, 2019
- Two Injured in Offshore Explosion - The Maritime Executive - December 4th, 2019