British Prime Minister Boris Johnson name-checked decarbonisation as he celebrated a decisive general election victory that leaves the offshore wind industry hoping he will keep his promises, makes Brexit a certainty, and raises questions over the future in the UK of Scotland and its massive renewable resources.
Johnson flagged a desire to make the UK the cleanest, greenest nation after his Conservatives crushed the Labour opposition, which ran on a broadly hard-left ticket, to remain in power and secure his partys largest majority in the House of Commons since Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s.
The Conservative election campaign contained few concrete pledges on green issues, preferring to lean on the 2050 net-zero carbon goal already put in place by Johnsons predecessor Theresa May when challenged over its climate ambitions.
The big exception was offshore wind, where the Conservatives made specific mention of boosting to 40GW a 2030 goal that currently stands at 30GW, along with a pledge to back floating wind technology. As in so many other areas of policy, the sector will now await the detail behind the number, but the fact that both major parties backed an increase leaves the UKs world-leading offshore wind sector well placed to play a central role in national industrial policy.
The same cannot be said of other renewable technologies. The Conservatives have excluded both onshore wind and solar from the contract-for-difference (CfD) support mechanism, with no immediate signs of a rethink on that.
With Brexit set to in Johnsons words get done by the end of January at least as far as a withdrawal agreement is concerned the offshore wind sector should at least see an easing of the rolling deadlines that caused stockpiling against a no deal Brexit this year.
However, longer-term the uncertainty remains over the detailed future relationship between the UK and EUs energy markets. And while Johnson triumphed in England and Wales, the Scottish National Party (SNP) swept the board in Scotland, strengthening its calls for another referendum on independence for the devolved nation, the biggest source of UK onshore wind power and a growing force offshore.
Early reaction to Johnsons win stressed the need for urgent policy action to push the UK towards net-zero.
Hugh McNeal, CEO of wind-focused industry group RenewableUK, said: We look forward to working with the new government to grow the UKs renewable energy sector and deliver on the commitments to 40GW of offshore wind by 2030 and developing floating wind projects.
The voters have sent a clear signal that climate action must be a top priority, and the eyes of the world will be on the UK as we host the UN global climate summit, so this Government must take urgent action to get the country on track for net zero.
Power sector umbrella group Energy UK's policy director Audrey Gallacher added: While Brexit will continue to dominate the political agenda, and there will be important issues to now focus on as we look to the future relationship with Europe, we must also quickly break the hiatus in energy policy.
Nick Molho, executive director of the Aldersgate Group think-tank said: The governments policy decisions in this parliamentary term will be absolutely critical. They will determine whether the UK is genuinely on track for achieving its net zero target and reversing the decline of the natural environment within a generation.
They will also determine whether UK businesses can become amongst the most competitive providers of low carbon goods and services globally.
The UK Renewable Energy Association said: The climate emergency is the biggest challenge that we face and this is the pivotal moment. The new government must now implement credible policy to decarbonise the economy in line with our net-zero targets.
To achieve this, the new government must be more ambitious and commit to wholesale systems change across energy, in particular for transport and waste, required to unleash the full potential of renewable energy and clean technology.
Note: Update adds comments
See the original post here:
- Shell to resume oil and gas exploration in Alaska Arctic offshore - S&P Global - September 18th, 2020
- Ad aims to keep independent offshore wind plan in mix - SouthCoastToday.com - September 18th, 2020
- Athena Wins HFM Global's US Award for Best Offshore Governance Firm - Business Wire - September 18th, 2020
- Fugro Wins Offshore India Survey - Rigzone - September 18th, 2020
- The Drilldown: NL Confederation Building thronged by offshore-oil workers - iPolitics.ca - September 18th, 2020
- NOIA Reveals Offshore Safety Award Winners - Rigzone - September 18th, 2020
- Fast-rescue craft fire onboard offshore vessel being investigated - The Journal Pioneer - September 18th, 2020
- Bay Area Air Quality Improves, Thanks to Offshore System - NBC Bay Area - September 18th, 2020
- NC Attorney General: Lawsuit against White House over offshore seismic testing to continue - OBXToday.com - September 18th, 2020
- First Turbine Installed at TPC Changhua Phase 1 - Offshore WIND - September 18th, 2020
- No One Knows Where This Came FromTrump Bans Offshore Drilling - Mother Jones - September 18th, 2020
- Premier Remaining Tight-Lipped About Offshore Negotiations - VOCM - September 18th, 2020
- US Offshore Wind Projects Face Make-or-Break Moment - Union of Concerned Scientists - July 21st, 2020
- France Opens Public Consultation on Floating Wind Offshore Brittany - Offshore WIND - July 21st, 2020
- SSE plans to build offshore wind farm in Ireland by 2025 - The Irish Times - July 21st, 2020
- Norway's offshore oil and gas activity accelerating in 2H 2020 - WorldOil - July 21st, 2020
- Peninsula Makes A $21M Meal In Offshore Bow; Unhinged Debuts In Germany; China Ups Ante On 2nd Day Back To Cinemas International Box Office -... - July 21st, 2020
- Why sea fastening is critical to safe and efficient offshore wind installation - Windpower Engineering - July 21st, 2020
- Probe utilitys offshore accounts The Manila Times - The Manila Times - July 21st, 2020
- BoldWind Offloads First Offshore Wind Cargo in Port of Esbjerg - Offshore WIND - July 21st, 2020
- Vattenfall Reports Lower Q2 Wind Figures, Announces Resignation of CEO - Offshore WIND - July 21st, 2020
- Partrac and Team Working on Arklow Bank 2 - Offshore WIND - July 21st, 2020
- Offshore Supply Vessel (OSV) Market Size Technological Advancement And Growth Analysis With Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- New Road Map for Murphy Administrations Offshore Wind Ambitions - NJ Spotlight - July 21st, 2020
- Torquing Tools for the Offshore Market 2020: Analysis By Regional Outlook, Competitive Landscape, Strategies And Forecasts 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- Global Offshore Cable Market 2020: Industry, Size, Share, Demands, Growth, Opportunities, Trends Analysis and Forecast Till 2025:::ABB, Nexans, NKT,... - July 21st, 2020
- RWA: Unlicensed offshore websites pose major threat to responsible gambling in Australia - Gambling Insider - In-depth Analysis for the Gaming... - July 21st, 2020
- Consortium in talks to advance Barryroe oil and gas project offshore Ireland - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- Offshore AUV Market ? Key Players, Size, Trends, Growth Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- Would offshore oil incentives help us right now? Be careful what you wish for - CBC.ca - July 5th, 2020
- Canadian trade group says the offshore industry is still waiting for promised assistance - WorldOil - July 5th, 2020
- Offshore wind: Seven things every fisheries professional needs to know - National Fisherman - July 5th, 2020
- Can Offshore Drilling Industry Weather the Coronavirus Storm? - Zacks.com - July 5th, 2020
- Meet the NHS nurse turned offshore medic whose patients are often found on the seabed - Press and Journal - July 5th, 2020
- UK urged to tackle 'barriers' to offshore expansion - reNEWS - July 5th, 2020
- Latest Research report on Offshore Wind Cable Market Size predicts favorable growth and forecast - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Polish Govt and Wind Energy Industry Sign Offshore Wind Co-Op Deal - Offshore WIND - July 5th, 2020
- Offshore and Marine Drilling Rig Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Massive Growth in Floating Offshore Wind Power Market Set to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | ABB, Siemens, MHI Vestas Offshore Wind, Doosan Heavy... - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Torquing Tools for the Offshore, Market Insights and Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Global Offshore Support Vessels Operation Market Research Study 2020 Insights with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by 2020Siem Offshore AS, Vallianz,... - July 5th, 2020
- Offshore Drilling Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Implications of Jones Act Changes to the Offshore Energy Industry - JD Supra - July 5th, 2020
- Offshore Patrol Vessels Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Offshore Inflatable Boats, Market Insights and Forecast to 2026 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - July 5th, 2020
- Offshore AUV Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Offshore Supply Vessel (OSV) Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 5th, 2020
- Danes expedite Hessel investigations - 4C Offshore - July 5th, 2020
- Sun Sets on Offshore Banking as Assets Worth $11 Trillion Uncovered - Cointelegraph - July 3rd, 2020
- Trump officials address prospects and challenges of California offshore wind development - Utility Dive - July 3rd, 2020
- Offshore Wind Jobs Act Approved by House of Representatives - CapeCod.com News - July 3rd, 2020
- Huisman to Deliver Cranes for Taiwan's First Offshore Wind Installation Vessel - Offshore WIND - July 3rd, 2020
- NHV: Shaking up the offshore market - Vertical Magazine - July 3rd, 2020
- DNREC releases results of survey on possible Fenwick link to offshore wind project - delawarebusinessnow.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Concession Sought for Italy's First Floating Wind Farm - Offshore WIND - July 3rd, 2020
- EDF inks agreement to develop its first offshore wind projects in China - Energy Live News - Energy Made Easy - July 3rd, 2020
- Rubio looks to defense bill to block offshore drilling, but some fear it creates a loophole | TheHill - The Hill - July 3rd, 2020
- Offshore Wind: Driving Factors and Recent Impediments | Blank Rome LLP - JD Supra - July 3rd, 2020
- LOC Nets Another Offshore Wind Contract in Far East - Offshore WIND - July 3rd, 2020
- Offshore Wind Will Need Support Vessels What Form Are You Going to Use? - JD Supra - July 3rd, 2020
- Ampelmann secures five new offshore wind contracts in the North Sea - WorldOil - July 3rd, 2020
- SSE: Ireland Needs 1 GW of Offshore Wind by 2025 to Meet 5 GW by 2030 Target - Offshore WIND - July 3rd, 2020
- Tax authorities accessed 84 million offshore accounts in 2019: OECD - Business Standard - July 3rd, 2020
- 50Hertz Goes All-In on Renewables - Offshore WIND - July 3rd, 2020
- New Synaptec Platform Designed for Predictive Maintenance In T&D, Offshore Renewables - Transmission & Distribution World - July 3rd, 2020
- Offshore Support Vessels Operation Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2026 - Apsters News - July 3rd, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Offshore Oil and Gas Market to Witness Promising Growth Opportunities During 20202026 with Top Leading Players Royal... - July 3rd, 2020
- New England looks to Europe to assess environmental impacts of offshore energy facilities - The Westerly Sun - June 24th, 2020
- US offshore wind 'could reach 25 GW by 2029' - Riviera Maritime Media - June 24th, 2020
- Not for the faint of heart: Oil bust lashes offshore industry still in recovery - Houston Chronicle - June 24th, 2020
- The Uphill Battle For Offshore Wind In Illinois - WBEZ - June 24th, 2020
- EWE to Take Care of Gode Wind 1 & 2 Substations - Offshore WIND - June 24th, 2020
- Trendsetter introduces modular offshore intervention system - WorldOil - June 24th, 2020
- Energy Giants Join Offshore Wind Group - Rigzone - June 24th, 2020
- Danish Consortium Raring to Bankroll North Sea Energy Island - Offshore WIND - June 24th, 2020
- Trump administration overrules NC, approves offshore seismic testing for oil and gas deposits - ncpolicywatch.com - June 24th, 2020
- HHI to Integrate Shipbuilding Business Division and Offshore Business Division - BusinessKorea - June 24th, 2020
- Lithuania Selects Where 700 MW Offshore Wind Farm Will Be Built - Offshore WIND - June 24th, 2020
- Scotland launches offshore wind seabed leasing programme - Out-Law.com - June 24th, 2020
- 2,000 letters in support of Canada's offshore | OUR GREAT MINDS - The OGM - June 24th, 2020