Moving is among the most stressful of life events, and that goes double for moving offices. In a survey,more than three-quarters of leaders of small and midsized businesses said they found the idea of moving offices so stressful that they have been delaying the process, 78% of managers said they prefer staying in a cramped space to avoid the hassle.
Jim Durfee knows that many people believe that the office moving process is invasive, disruptive and time-consuming, but he also believes he has a solution: technology.
One of the greatest fears in life is the fear of the unknown, and that is especially true during moves, said Durfee, who is vice president and general manager at Office Movers Express, styled as OMX. Were using newly developed technology to stay connected to our clients and remove that fear, they always know where we are, what were doing and where their items are at all times."
Durfee and his team at OMX have been using technologies like tablets, GPS and tracking software to make the moving process more efficient and give clients peace of mind. Bisnow recently sat down with him to learn more about how OMX plans to take the stress out of one of the most infamously stressful parts of life.
Bisnow: How have office moves changed?
Jim Durfee:Office moves used to be a big deal in terms of volume, furniture and general 'stuff.' To move an office was a huge undertaking requiring vast resources of labor and time. But that world has changed, and the modern office is more efficient. The main focus is on technology and keeping it safe, both the equipment and the information stored inside of it.
Bisnow: How are you using technology to change how you move offices?
Durfee: In both small and large ways. Take note-taking, for example. A mover 10 years ago might have just written down that one conference room had five tables, but we have higher-touch service. We record it on our tablets and take pictures to corroborate the number and keep track of the conditions of the tables.
We also track everything on tablets on the day of the move, from when the crew arrives, to when they left, to what they charged, so everything remains transparent and at the clients fingertips.
Bisnow: How do you use technology to keep clients' items safe throughout the move?
Durfee:The first step is taking an inventory using a portable, handheld device, which is faster and more accurate than previous methods. We are able to capture images, assess volume and organize the process in a manner that helps develop a sensible and logical move plan. When the move actually occurs, additional technology allows us to identify and tag key items and assure they receive special attention or priority status. We can include critical information to identify information such as value, function, departmental assignment and final placement.
For highly sensitive items, we have access to digital locators that allow us to track them from origin to destination. A client could be sitting on the beach viewing the item on their cellphone as it exits its current space and arrives in the new office. All of this helps us maintain the chain of custody, tightly control the relocation process and assure a positive experience.
Bisnow: What are the benefits of working with a mover who only handles commercial moves?
Durfee: It all comes down to business continuity. When youre moving a household, you usually have a large window of time to complete the move. Office moves need to happen as seamlessly as possible so that a business only experiences minimal downtime.
Another major difference is the handling of technology. While a household may have a few laptops and one computer, offices have whole server rooms that need to be handled carefully. Office movers are specifically trained to handle the types of materials you only find in a business environment, like large pieces of technology that carry sensitive information.
Bisnow: What are some preparations you wish more company owners would make before a move?
Durfee: I wish they would do a little extra homework to find out what they can expect. People can contact us in advance and we can offer them a budget figure and tips for how to go about preparing for the day. Company owners should also contact building management to learn what they can do to help, and also ask their movers if they have any experience with their new building and can offer any strategic moving advice ahead of time.
As it gets closer to the moving day, things tend to change. Often, these changes are not communicated to movers until the day arrives, which can lead to delays, so I always recommend that people err on the side of over-communicating with their movers and providing them with every last detail.
This feature was produced in collaboration between the Bisnow Branded Content Studio and Office Movers Express. Bisnow news staff was not involved in the production of this content.
Read the rest here:
- Technology assisting CMPD with uptick in bomb-related calls in Charlotte - WSPA 7News - July 29th, 2021
- Occams Razor & Technology Disasters And Why We Refuse To See The Elephants In The Room. - Forbes - July 29th, 2021
- How technology can generate advisory services and creative thinking - Accounting Today - July 29th, 2021
- Clean Technology Is Crossing The Chasm And Its Time To Invest In It - Forbes - July 29th, 2021
- Mind the (Accent) Gap: DefinedCrowd Contributing to More Inclusive Speech Technology - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2021
- The Role of Technology in Managing LTL Freight Spend - Supply Chain Management Review - July 29th, 2021
- Walmart offers Marketplace technology to other businesses - Furniture Today - July 29th, 2021
- My Analysis of How Blockchain Technology Could Facilitate Citizen Disruption of Innovation - Rolling Stone - July 29th, 2021
- New technology offers insights on Southern Oceans carbon secrets - Yale Climate Connections - July 29th, 2021
- Agencies propose more than $2B in TMF projects - Washington Technology - July 29th, 2021
- Technology can speed permitting and reduce conflicts over new infrastructure | TheHill - The Hill - July 29th, 2021
- Bringing the fans to the Olympics through technology - KXAN.com - July 29th, 2021
- Is Microsoft (MSFT) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2021
- Global AI in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Report 2021: AI and Cognitive Computing in Communications, Applications, Content, and... - July 29th, 2021
- Cybersecurity and Information Technology: Federal Agencies Need to Strengthen Efforts to Address High-Risk Areas - Government Accountability Office - July 29th, 2021
- Why This 1 Computer and Technology Stock Could Be a Great Addition to Your Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2021
- With data everywhere, the endpoint becomes the problem - Washington Technology - July 29th, 2021
- Bidens newly unveiled immigration blueprint calls for investments in technology, added personnel - Border Report - July 29th, 2021
- Sunyard Technology to Unveil Sunyard Payment Management System, The All-New Integrated Payment Management Platform - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2021
- Itron to Present at Oppenheimers 24th Annual Technology, Internet and Communications Conference and Canaccord Genuitys 41st Annual Growth Conference -... - July 29th, 2021
- Billtrust to Participate in the KeyBanc Technology Leadership Forum on August 12, 2021 - Business Wire - July 29th, 2021
- The Office of Public Works in Ireland Enhances Digital and Technology Strategy with 8x8 XCaaS - Business Wire - July 29th, 2021
- Finitive Honored on Financial Technology Report's 2021 List of Top 100 Financial Technology Companies - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2021
- UK Launches Department of Engineering Technology in Partnership With BCTC, Toyota - UKNow - July 27th, 2021
- Managing Operations Technology with IT - Automation World - July 27th, 2021
- Virtual Reality Is the Rich White Kid of Technology - WIRED - July 27th, 2021
- Q&A Collections: Using Technology With Students (Opinion) - Education Week - July 27th, 2021
- Urgent need to escape the surveillance technology jungle | Reporters without borders - Reporters sans frontires - July 27th, 2021
- Access to technology is changing the U.S. education system for good - USA TODAY - July 27th, 2021
- Even with Advanced Technology, You Still Need the Soft Skills of eDiscovery - JD Supra - July 27th, 2021
- UAMS Cardiology Team Clears 95%-blocked Artery With New Shockwave Technology - UAMS News - July 27th, 2021
- Lockheed wants industry partners to help connect people & platforms - Washington Technology - July 27th, 2021
- Powerbridge Technologies to Build a Supply Chain Management SaaS Platform Based on Blockchain Technology - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2021
- Cleantech Company 374Water Touts PFAS-Eliminating Technology That Makes Toxic Sludge Turn To Water - Forbes - July 27th, 2021
- SkyWater Technology to Strategically Invest $56 Million in Capacity Expansion and Gallium Nitride Technology - Business Wire - July 27th, 2021
- [Virtual Conference] eDiscovery Summer Refresher 2.0 - Session One: Applying Technology to Address Discovery Challenges Today and Tomorrow - August... - July 27th, 2021
- Fortune Growers to deploy predictive analytics technology in vegetable supply chain Produce Blue Book - Produce Blue Book - July 27th, 2021
- Inside Quantum Technology Announces Launch of QUANTUM TECH POD, the First Podcast Covering the Field of Quantum Computing - PRNewswire - July 27th, 2021
- Dakota Safety Adds CASPR Group's Disinfection Technology to Their Lineup - PRNewswire - July 27th, 2021
- Dyadic Announces Technology Transfer and Licensing Agreement With South Africas Rubic Consortium Aiming to Develop and Commercialize Vaccines for... - July 27th, 2021
- Why Rawlings thinks it built a better baseball glove using 3D printing technology - KSDK.com - July 27th, 2021
- Mavenir Appoints Bejoy Pankajakshan to Newly Created Role of Chief Technology and Strategy Officer - Business Wire - July 27th, 2021
- A different kind of solar technology is poised to go big - Grist - July 27th, 2021
- Worldwide 3D Printing Industry to 2026 - Need of Technology in Post-Processing Systems Presents Opportunities - PRNewswire - July 27th, 2021
- DFPI Office of Financial Technology and Innovation Gives Insight Into Scope and Functions - JD Supra - July 27th, 2021
- WATCH LIVE: Power plant touting new clean fusion technology breaks ground in Everett - KING5.com - July 27th, 2021
- Amazon-backed Wiliot raises $200 mln in investment led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2 - Reuters - July 27th, 2021
- Hudson County Community College Partners with New Jersey Institute of Technology for Seamless and Successful Transfer to Baccalaureate Business... - July 27th, 2021
- Why machine programming should be the next technology you invest in - VentureBeat - July 18th, 2021
- Leveraging digital technology during the pandemic - Brookings Institution - July 18th, 2021
- Overdoses reach record numbers and new technology could help saves more lives: Here are the weeks top headlines - WTRF - July 18th, 2021
- The Unsuccessful Intersection of Dogs and Technology | Outside Online - Outside - July 18th, 2021
- Wild Things technology feature tells tale on pitchers - Observer-Reporter - July 18th, 2021
- What it takes to keep federal technology transfer going - Federal News Network - July 18th, 2021
- New federal actions aim to tackle diversity in STEM fields - Axios - July 18th, 2021
- Shed of Tangshan Interchange Toll Station / AESEU Architectural Technology and Art studio - ArchDaily - July 18th, 2021
- Lightbulb moment: the battery technology invented in a Brisbane garage that is going global - The Guardian Australia - July 18th, 2021
- Core One Labs to Present on its Proprietary Biosynthetic Psilocybin Technology at Investor Town Hall Event on August 4, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - July 18th, 2021
- Cameras in the Courtroom: Technology upgrades expand public access to hearings, trials - Terre Haute Tribune Star - July 18th, 2021
- Biden battles Russian hacking groups with restrictions on IT firms - Reuters - July 18th, 2021
- Is 57 a prime number? Theres a game for that. - MIT Technology Review - July 18th, 2021
- Eggo gets inspired by technology as they introduce their new Eggoji Waffles - Guilty Eats - July 18th, 2021
- The lurking threat to solar powers growth - MIT Technology Review - July 18th, 2021
- Flush with unicorns, India's technology moment arrives, but not without concerns - Taipei Times - July 18th, 2021
- How effective is technology in education? - The New Indian Express - July 18th, 2021
- Hexa-X: 6G technology and its evolution so far - Ericsson - July 16th, 2021
- Facebook is ditching plans to make an interface that reads the brain - MIT Technology Review - July 16th, 2021
- 4 Key Ways 5G Technology is Transforming Patient Care - HIT Consultant - July 16th, 2021
- Intelsat's push to be 'more vertical' in the federal market - Washington Technology - July 16th, 2021
- TOP 100: IBM makes big move toward transformation - Washington Technology - July 16th, 2021
- What Ever Happened to IBMs Watson? - The New York Times - July 16th, 2021
- Netflix Hires Researcher Paul Debevec to Oversee Emerging Technology Team (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter - July 16th, 2021
- How Germany Hopes to Get the Edge in Driverless Technology - The New York Times - July 16th, 2021
- Launch Blue Technology Showcase Will Feature 8 UK Technologies - UKNow - July 16th, 2021
- Invitation Homes Invests in Fifth Wall Climate Technology Fund - Business Wire - July 16th, 2021
- LIZHI INC. Announces Partnership with Xinghe Zhilian Automotive Technology Company - Yahoo Finance - July 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Mining Cables Industry to 2026 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - July 16th, 2021
- Breakthrough automotive film technology puts AkzoNobel's innovation on the radar - Automotive World - July 16th, 2021
- Is Micron Technology Stock Headed to $165 a Share? - The Motley Fool - July 16th, 2021
- 3 Technologies at the Forefront of Digital Transformation Today - CMSWire - July 16th, 2021