For all the predictions and talk of a slump in support among evangelicals, it appears Donald Trumps election loss was not at the hands of religious voters.
As an analyst of religious data, Ive been crunching data released in March 2021 that breaks down the 2020 U.S. presidential election results by faith. And by and large there was very little notable change in the vote choice of religious groups between 2016 and 2020 in fact, for most faiths, support for Trump ticked up slightly. Instead, it was among those who do not identify with any religion that Trump saw a noticeable drop.
Despite exit poll data initially pointing toward a drop in white evangelical support for Trump in 2020, the latest data shows this not to be the case. The data is based on the Cooperative Election Study, which has become the gold standard for assessing vote choice because of its sample size and its ability to accurately represent the voting population of the United States.
In fact, with 80% of white evangelicals backing Trump in 2020, support actually ticked up from the 78% who voted for him four years earlier.Trump also saw two-point increases in the vote of nonwhite evangelicals, white Catholics, Black Protestants and Jews compared with four years ago.
These differences are not statistically significant, and as such it would be wrong to say it definitively shows Trump gained among religious groups. But it indicates that among the largest religious groups in the U.S., voting patterns in the November 2020 vote seemed to hold largely steady with four years earlier. Trump did not manage to win significantly larger shares, nor was winner Joe Biden able to peel away religious voters from the Trump coalition.
However, there are some interesting and statistically significant trends when you break down the data further. Nonwhite Catholics shifted four points toward Donald Trump. This fits with what we saw in places like the heavily Hispanic and Catholic Miami-Dade County, Florida, where Trumps overall vote share improved from 35% to 46% between 2016 and 2020.
Trump also managed to pick up 15 percentage points among the Mormon vote. On first glance this would appear a large jump. But it makes sense when you factor in that around 15% of the Mormon vote in 2016 went to Utah native and fellow Mormon Evan McMullin, who ran in that years election as a third-party candidate. Without McMullin in 2020, Trump picked up Mormon voters as did Joe Biden, who did slightly better than Hillary Clinton had among Mormons.
There is also some weak evidence that the Republican candidate picked up some support among smaller religious groups in the U.S., like Hindus and Buddhists. Trump increased his share among these two groups by four percentage points each. But it is important to note that these two groups combined constitute only about 1.5% of the American population. As such, a four-point increase translates to only a very small fraction of the overall popular vote.
What is clear is that Trump lost a good amount of ground among the religious unaffiliated. Trumps share of the atheist vote declined from 14% in 2016 to just 11% in 2020; the decline among agnostics was slightly larger, from 23% to 18%.
Additionally, those who identify as nothing in particular a group that represents 21% of the overall U.S. population were not as supportive of Trump in his reelection bid. His vote share among this group dropped by three percentage points, while Bidens rose by over seven points, with the Democrat managing to win over many of the nothing in particulars who had backed third-party candidates in the 2016 election.
Looked at broadly, Trump did slightly better among Christians and other smaller religious groups in the U.S. but lost ground among the religiously unaffiliated. What these results cannot account for, however, is record turnout. There were nearly 22 million more votes cast in 2020 than in 2016. So while vote shares may not have changed that much, the number of votes cast helped swing the election for the Democratic candidate. A more detailed breakdown of voter turnout is due to be released in July 2021 by the team that administers the Cooperative Election Study; that will bring the picture of religion and the 2020 vote into clearer focus.
[Get the best of The Conversation, every weekend. Sign up for our weekly newsletter.]
Ryan Burge, Assistant Professor of Political Science, Eastern Illinois University
This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.
- Will the 1/6 Committee Force Jared and Ivanka to Testify Against Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - July 29th, 2021
- COVID-19 is crushing red states. Why isnt Trump turning his rallies into mass vaccination sites? - Brookings Institution - July 29th, 2021
- Winfrey describes threats in wake of 2020 election to congressional panel - Detroit Free Press - July 29th, 2021
- What was it like to cover Donald Trump as president? Writers tell stories in new LSU press book - The Advocate - July 29th, 2021
- Trump PAC Spends 20% Of Its Operating Expenses At Trumps Business - Forbes - July 29th, 2021
- Im Getting the Word Out: Inside the Feverish Mind of Donald Trump Two Months After Leaving the White House - Vanity Fair - July 25th, 2021
- Will Pence primary Trump and win? | TheHill - The Hill - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump says Cleveland Indians name change is 'such a disgrace' and 'disrespectful' to Native Americans - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Allies Break With Ex-President on Supporting Ohio House Candidate - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Joe Biden Mocking Donald Trump by Drinking Water With One Hand in Viral Video - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Michael Cohen says he thinks Jared Kushner has already flipped on Trump - Business Insider - July 25th, 2021
- Certified Loser Donald Trump Is Rebranding MAGA as a Full-On Cult - Daily Beast - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. Responds to Kimberly Guilfoyle 'The View' Rumor - Newsweek - July 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. intrigued by Kimberly Guilfoyle replacing Meghan McCain on 'The View' - SFGate - July 25th, 2021
- How Scott Walker's Wisconsin Paved the Way for Donald Trump's America - Jacobin magazine - July 25th, 2021
- Melania Trump told Donald Trump she did not think he would win in 2016, former lawyer Michael Cohen told Insider - Yahoo News - July 25th, 2021
- Why the investigation into Trump's alleged misdeeds may be in trouble - Salon - July 25th, 2021
- Trump opines on coup while rejecting fears about his actions - Associated Press - July 16th, 2021
- Trump Lawyers Who Spread False Election Claims Are Now Defending Themselves In Court - NPR - July 16th, 2021
- Opinion: Why we still pay attention to Donald Trump - Poynter - July 16th, 2021
- Kremlin papers appear to show Putins plot to put Trump in White House - The Guardian - July 16th, 2021
- What you need to know about Bill McSwains letter to Donald Trump on Pa. voter fraud - The Philadelphia Inquirer - July 16th, 2021
- Donald Trump's angry at Brett Kavanaugh but this court is a huge win for the far right - Salon - July 16th, 2021
- Mike Pence and Benjamin Netanyahu pushed Donald Trump to bomb Iran after losing the election: rpt - Salon - July 16th, 2021
- Legal threats to Donald Trump more serious than ever before, experts say - The Guardian - July 14th, 2021
- Donald Trump Isnt Letting It Go - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- The Trump Organization Desperately Tries to Distance Itself From Its Criminally Indicted CFO - Vanity Fair - July 14th, 2021
- Trump Is Very Disappointed in Brett Kavanaugh for Not Helping Him Steal the Election - Vanity Fair - July 14th, 2021
- Biden takes big break from habit of avoiding Trump talk | TheHill - The Hill - July 14th, 2021
- Trump's Revenge on Brad Raffensperger in Georgia - The Atlantic - July 14th, 2021
- I've lived under Donald Trump and Fidel Castro. Both taught me the importance of defending truth. - America Magazine - July 14th, 2021
- Opinion | America Punishes Only a Certain Kind of Rebel - The New York Times - July 14th, 2021
- Trump on Jan. 6 insurrection: 'These were great people' - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Inside Donald Trumps Last Days in the White House and Plans for a Comeback - The Wall Street Journal - July 12th, 2021
- Trumpworld wants distance from QAnon even as the ex-president winks at it - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Trump team waited for Wisc. election updates, had time zones wrong: book - Business Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Governors' races see flood of pro-Trump candidates | TheHill - The Hill - July 12th, 2021
- F--k Him: Rupert Murdoch Reportedly Made the Call to Bury Trumps Election Night Dreams in a Shallow Grave - Vanity Fair - July 12th, 2021
- Trump says he paved the way for billionaires' space race - New York Post - July 12th, 2021
- Fact-checking Donald Trump on there being 'no reason' for shooting Ashli Babbitt - PolitiFact - July 12th, 2021
- Why Are Republican Governors Sending National Guard to the Border? - POLITICO - July 12th, 2021
- Who's the Top MAGA Influencer Six Months After Trump Social Media Ban? A Newsweek Ranking - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to campaign trail with rally ... - June 28th, 2021
- Still reeling from election loss, Trump says Mitch McConnell 'blew it' for America - Courier Journal - June 28th, 2021
- QAnon Followers Think They See Donald Trump in White House Window Reflection - Newsweek - June 28th, 2021
- Donald Trump Denies That He Asked Justice Department To Go After Saturday Night Live - Deadline - June 28th, 2021
- Reports of a "diminished" Trump are greatly exaggerated he can ride the Big Lie to a 2024 win - Salon - June 28th, 2021
- Is This What Donald Trump Really Thinks Of Rudy Giuliani? - The List - June 28th, 2021
- Out-of-Practice Trump Forgets to Strand Rally Crowd in Parking Lot - The New Yorker - June 28th, 2021
- From Trump to vets: Its a nice break from trench warfare of politics - Deseret News - June 28th, 2021
- Donald Trump Has Apparently Been Questioning All that Jared Kushner Did for His Administration - Yahoo Entertainment - June 28th, 2021
- Of Course Trump Tried to Get the Justice Department to Stop SNL From Making Fun of Him - Vanity Fair - June 24th, 2021
- Pence May Finally Be Ready to Strike Back Against Trump - Business Insider - June 24th, 2021
- Inside the extraordinary effort to save Trump from COVID-19 - Anchorage Daily News - June 24th, 2021
- Is banning Trump from Facebook a First Amendment issue? Clarence Thomas, other conservatives say it is - USA TODAY - June 24th, 2021
- Analysis: Texas Gov. Greg Abbott already has the one endorsement he needs - The Texas Tribune - June 24th, 2021
- Facebook says Donald Trump to remain banned for two years, effective from Jan. 7 - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- No, Donald Trump didnt win Texas by a lot in 2020; it was among the worst GOP victory margins in decades - The Dallas Morning News - June 6th, 2021
- Did Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kris Kross Memes Have Already Begun - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2021
- The Confusing Law That Could Shape Trumps Legal Fate - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Republicans fear Trump will lead to a lost generation of talent - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- Matt Gaetz, Donald Trump and why obstruction of justice matters - MSNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump Jr. joins Cameo | TheHill - The Hill - June 6th, 2021
- Don McGahn's Testimony Could Finally Break Donald Trump's Ability to Evade the Law - The New Republic - June 6th, 2021
- Donald Trump's new blog crashed after he posted an unverified claim about election fraud in Arizona - Business Insider - May 20th, 2021
- What we know about investigations looming over Donald Trump and Trump Organization - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump, coronavirus news & more: Whats trending today - cleveland.com - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump flies north for the summer to New Jersey golf club - The Guardian - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Is An Exemplary Tenant, Says His Washington D.C. Landlord - Forbes - May 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden proves an elusive target for Republicans. After Cheney fight, their focus is back on the president - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2021
- Donald Trump Bashes 2020 Presidential Election As 'Crime Of The Century' - HuffPost - May 20th, 2021
- Does Donald Trump Know He Could Be Arrested This Year? - Yahoo Entertainment - May 20th, 2021
- Trumps Social Media Magic Appears to Be Wearing Off - Vanity Fair - May 11th, 2021
- Bennet Wants White House Review Of Trump's Decision To Move Space Command Away From Colorado Springs - Colorado Public Radio - May 11th, 2021
- Mike Pence looks at the 2024 presidential race but sees Donald Trump everywhere - South Bend Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Glaring Problem With GOP's Trump Obsession. He Doesn't Need Them Anymore - Business Insider - May 11th, 2021
- Is there a Snapple Fact that says that Donald Trump lost? Lid tweet goes viral! - HITC - Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music - May 11th, 2021
- The Truth About Melania And Donald Trump's Relationship Today - Nicki Swift - May 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump returns to social media with glorified blog ... - May 9th, 2021
- What will Facebooks ban mean for Donald Trumps future? - Brookings Institution - May 9th, 2021