The blind mystic Baba Vanga has been credited by some with predicting the rise of ISIS, Brexit and even the 9/11 World Trade Center attacks. If the long-deceased Vanga is to be believed, then 2021 could see more worrying prophecies come to fruitionalthough her supposed clairvoyant powers may have also seen signs of hope.
One of the more interesting aspects about the phenomenon of Baba Vanga, who has been called the "Nostradamus of the Balkans," is that she gained much of her reputation after she died in 1996 at the age of 85.
Born Vangeliya Pandeva Gushterova in 1911, she was blind since childhood and spent most of her life in the Bulgarian Kozhuh mountains. While she was alive, there were people who believed she had powers of clairvoyance, and they would seek her out to contact dead relatives. However, Baba Vanga became known internationally four years after her death, when the Russian nuclear submarine Kursk sank in 2000. (She had reportedly predicted in 1980 that Kursk would be flooded, but at the time, it was believed that she spoke of the Russian city Kursk.)
As for 2021, the U.K.'s Metro writes that Baba Vanga is said to have predicted that the world will suffer from "a lot of cataclysms and great disasters" during the year, while three "giants" unite, and a "strong dragon" seizes humanity. Some speculate the "dragon" to be China, and that this prediction means the nation's global power will continue to strengthen.
On a positive note, Vanga was also said to have predicted that a cure for cancer would be found in 2021. She allegedly said: "The day will come when cancer will get tied with iron chains."
Many people remain skeptical about what are said to be Baba Vanga predictions, as there is no real evidence that any of these prophecies are real, despite claims that Baba Vanga's predictions have been 85 percent accurate. The U.K.'s Daily Express recently pointed to an investigation that found many of the supposed clairvoyant's so-called prophecies were actually created by Russian social media trolls.
What makes tracking the veracity of what Vanga may or may not have said difficult is the fact that she was reportedly illiterate or semi-literate, and did not write anything down herself, unlike, say Nostradamus, who left behind the 1555 book Les Propheties. Thus, Baba Vanga's words were documented secondhand.
Her believers, of which there are many, claim that her predictions run until the year 5079, when she supposedly said the world will come to an end. More immediate prophecies being attributed to the mystic for 2021, though, are that President Donald Trump will suffer deafness and mortal illness, Russian President Vladimir Putin will survive an assassination attempt and that Europe may face a chemical attack from Muslim extremists.
Those predictions for Trump and Putin are similar to supposed Baba Vanga claims made about their fates in 2020, but some argue that Trump contracting COVID-19 makes Vanga at least partially accurate.
The fortune-teller's alleged prophecy that Europe would "cease to exist by 2016" has been interpreted as Britain voting to leave the EU in that year's referendum in what's commonly known as "Brexit." Baba Vanga is said to have foreseen the result of this 2016 decision as Europe becoming "empty spaces and wasteland, nearly devoid of any form of life," which even the most ardent anti-Brexit activists would have a hard time arguing to be the case.
Another one of her most famous predictions was when she supposedly foretold the 9/11 attacks by saying "two steel birds" would strike "American brethren." She reportedly said: "Horror, horror! The American brethren will fall after being attacked by the steel birds. The wolves will be howling in a bush, and innocent blood will be gushing." The "steel birds" could be interpreted as the hijacked passenger jets that struck the World Trade Center buildings, while "bush" could have been a reference to the then-president and "innocent blood" could be the resulting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
In 1979, Vanga reportedly told writer Valentin Sidorov that Russia would become "lord of the world" thanks in part to "Vladimir's glory, glory of Russia." Believers say the Vladimir in question is Putin.
Another possible successful prediction is said to be the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, which wreaked havoc on Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, Thailand and other countries, killing more than 230,000. It's claimed that Vanga once said: "A huge wave will cover a big coast covered with people and towns, and everything will disappear beneath the water. Everything will melt, just like ice."
Other reported predictions have been somewhat hit-or-miss. There was one about China emerging as the next great superpower in 2018, and a new form of energy emerging on Venus. While China's status has continued to grow since Baba Vanga's death, 2018 didn't seem like a particularly important year of growth. Plus, as far as we know here on Earth, there was nothing of consequence happening on Venus that year.
Meanwhile, there have been supposed predictions that have been outright incorrect. A popular claim attributed to Vanga was that Barack Obama would be the last American president, which obviously wasn't the case when Trump took office. Some other false predictions, taken from the 2006 book Vanga. A Look at Russia by Lyubov Orlova, include a third World War that was supposed to have started in 2010 with nuclear weapons, and then end in 2014. The resulting radioactive fallout would mean no animals or vegetation would exist in the Northern Hemisphere, and Muslims would then start a chemical war on the surviving Europeans. Before World War III's supposed 2014 end date, many people would be ill from ulcers, skin cancer and other diseases due to chemical warfare. Baba Vanga was also said to predict that a giant meteorite would hit Russia in either 2019 or 2020.
Whether her alleged predictions for 2021 will come trueor even close to trueremains to be seen, but there's still time for some of her more far-off prophecies. Other events she is said to have foreseen are an end to world hunger by 2028, Mars being colonized and the colonies there acquiring nuclear weapons by 2256, and Earth becoming uninhabitable by the year 2341.
- End Times Update 5/15/2021: SNL, the Gas Crisis, and Courtney Stodden - Popdust - May 16th, 2021
- Elon Musk's 'SNL' appearance shows he's the face of EVs beyond Tesla - Mashable SE Asia - May 16th, 2021
- Time for Infosec Professionals' Imaginations to Stretch to Outer Space - Infosecurity Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Elon Musk's first name shows up in 1953 book about colonizing Mars - CNET - May 9th, 2021
- The Final Fate of Elon Musk in Seven Secrets #8? [Preview] - Bleeding Cool News - May 9th, 2021
- Scientists claim to have seen fungi on Mars - Mediarun Search - May 9th, 2021
- How much is the space race worth? - Three fold Online - May 9th, 2021
- SpaceX's Elon Musk hosting 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend - Space.com - May 7th, 2021
- SpaceX completes another Starship prototype flight, this time with no explosion on landing - Anchorage Daily News - May 7th, 2021
- "The idea of inhabiting Mars is merely fanciful fiction" says commenter - Dezeen - April 15th, 2021
- Musician Grimes Is Ready for Space Travel With Full Back Alien Scar Tattoo - autoevolution - April 15th, 2021
- The Final Frontier Will Be a Profitable Frontier - InvestorPlace - April 15th, 2021
- Elon Musk is an alien who tries to escape from earth, bizarre theory goes viral on internet - IBTimes India - April 13th, 2021
- Epic NASAs Ingenuity Helicopter Poised to Forever Change the Way We Explore Other Planets - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - April 11th, 2021
- Did it Come From Outer Space? Debris washes ashore in Lincoln County - St. Helens Chronicle - April 11th, 2021
- To the moon: Greetings and a message from young Iroquois earthlings - GoErie.com - April 11th, 2021
- Director Neil Burger's 'Voyagers' launches a colony ship to the stars - Space.com - April 11th, 2021
- Meet the new director of ASU's Institute for Humanities Research - ASU Now - April 11th, 2021
- Boeing v SpaceX: the rivalry shaping the future of space exploration - The National - April 11th, 2021
- Moon Exploration: Why China and Russia are Teaming Up for a Lunar Base - Science Times - April 11th, 2021
- The race for space colonisation and limitless wealth is already here - TRT World - March 31st, 2021
- "The Expanse" offers a realistic depiction of space colonization - Axios - March 31st, 2021
- We Shouldn't Invoke Colonialist Language To Justify Missions To the Cosmos - The Wire Science - March 31st, 2021
- What happened to water on Mars? - Brantford Expositor - March 31st, 2021
- Elon Musk says the SpaceX Starship will get to Mars 'well before' 2030 - Daily Express - March 31st, 2021
- Elon Musk shows off SpaceX's 1st Starship Super Heavy booster - Space.com - March 21st, 2021
- The Green Space | Elon Musk and Ecomasculinity - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - March 21st, 2021
- Where did the waters of Mars go? Underground. Maybe Martian life did, too. - SYFY WIRE - March 21st, 2021
- NASA Perseverance Rover Officially Shares the Sounds of Driving on Mars - Science Times - March 21st, 2021
- NASA: Unknown bacteria found on the ISS - and it could help with the move to Mars - Daily Express - March 21st, 2021
- Inside The First-Ever Luxury Space Hotel Thats Set to Open in 2027 - The Manual - March 21st, 2021
- 'In space, you know the physics of how you're going to die': Kate Greene - E&T Magazine - March 21st, 2021
- Humans on Mars by 2050? We Might Have Liftoff - Architecture and Design - March 21st, 2021
- The Expanse Team Unpacks Its Abuse Storylines in Season 5 - Observer - March 21st, 2021
- If Elon Musk makes it to Mars, then what? These are the hurdles for humans who wish to live on the Red Planet - MarketWatch - March 16th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is the Ultimate Villain in the Korean Sci-Fi Film Space Sweepers - TheStranger.com - March 16th, 2021
- Hopes and Dreams of Mars - Splice Today - March 5th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is Creating a City in Texas. It Will Be Called Starbase and It Will Be Ruled by 'The Doge' - Entrepreneur - March 5th, 2021
- Opinion: The Perseverance rover landing on Mars is a giant leap toward human colonization of space - The San Diego Union-Tribune - March 3rd, 2021
- NASA Mars mission: Perseverance to begin search for life on Red Planet - Daily Express - March 3rd, 2021
- Why are humans so obsessed with Mars? - Livemint - March 3rd, 2021
- Perseverance - The Mars Rover - Fiorella Beausang-Hunter - Latymer Upper School - This is Local London - March 3rd, 2021
- The Avid Reader: A trip into the universe - Monadnock Ledger Transcript - March 3rd, 2021
- The Expanse season five kicks off slowly - The Prospector - March 3rd, 2021
- Mission to Mars: New rover to aid in human colonization (Part 1) - Yahoo News - February 22nd, 2021
- Colonize and live on Mars thanks to cyanobacteria? - Innovation Origins - February 22nd, 2021
- Why the red planet captures our imagination in movies and books - WTOP - February 22nd, 2021
- Think tank: City life on Mars? Creating human centred communities in space and beyond - SmartCitiesWorld - February 22nd, 2021
- New app brings Mars exploration closer to life on Earth - The First News - February 22nd, 2021
- A six-wheeled, Mini-sized rover is currently parked on Mars - Top Gear - February 22nd, 2021
- Greta Thunberg's ironic video of the colonization of Mars within hours of the arrival of NASA's Perseverance rover - Explica - February 22nd, 2021
- Elon Musk faces rejection by French villagers as they deny permission to install antennas - Republic TV - February 22nd, 2021
- NASA lands Perseverance rover: Why going to Mars ought to matter to you - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - February 22nd, 2021
- The UAE Probe 'Hope' Has Successfully Reached Mars - ExtremeTech - February 10th, 2021
- Elon Musk's Mars plan rocked as SpaceX CEO fears humans will 'self-extinguish' before 2050 - Daily Express - February 10th, 2021
- Hilltown internet coverage is expanding, but affordability is still a concern - The Altamont Enterprise - February 10th, 2021
- Cybernauts Called to PLANETXXI to Save Planet Earth - Send2Press Newswire - February 10th, 2021
- Meet the team behind the brains: LoyolaMARS students talk all things aerospace - Los Angeles Loyolan - February 6th, 2021
- Someone Tell Elon Musk That Bandanas Aren't Face Masks - Highsnobiety - February 6th, 2021
- Is Our Whole World Just a Simulation? Enter A Glitch in the Matrix - Vanity Fair - February 6th, 2021
- Andre Drummond backs Elon Musk, campaigning Dogecoin to pump to the moon - Cavaliers Nation - February 6th, 2021
- If You Loved Greedfall, Try These 3 Games Like It - KeenGamer News - February 6th, 2021
- Robinhood Screwed Its Users But Is More Popular Than Ever - VICE - February 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk reveals ambitious plans to get humans to Mars seven years ahead of NASA - Republic World - February 2nd, 2021
- Is there life on Mars? Not if we destroy it with poor space hygiene - The Guardian - February 2nd, 2021
- How Elon Musk and a Mission to Mars Might Boost Internet Speeds in Rural Kansas - kansaspublicradio.org - February 2nd, 2021
- Elon Musk Thinks Memes are 'Complex' Form of Communication. He Even Has a 'Dealer' for Regular Supply - News18 - February 2nd, 2021
- Josh app expands its musical library with 1.3 lakh songs from Saregama in 25 different languages - Business Insider India - February 2nd, 2021
- Experts warn of brewing space mining war among US, China and Russia - MINING.COM - MINING.com - February 2nd, 2021
- 10 Old Sci-Fi Movies That Take Place In The Present Time Period - Screen Rant - February 2nd, 2021
- SpaceX Is Launching Its Giant Starship SN9 Prototype, The Next Step To Visiting Mars - Observer - January 27th, 2021
- Axiom names first private crew paying $55 million for a trip to the ISS - The Verge - January 27th, 2021
- This Is Why You Must Never Try And Colonize A Super-Earth Planet - Forbes - January 27th, 2021
- Redout: Space Assault brings the nostalgic joys of Starfox to Xbox One, Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Switch and PC - TheXboxHub - January 27th, 2021
- Global foreign investment falls by 42% | Govit-19 - haveeruonline - January 27th, 2021
- Big Ben-sized space rock among FIVE headed this way, as scientist proposes humans COLONIZE asteroid belt itself - RT - January 27th, 2021
- Top Executives Like Elon Musk And Steve Jobs Are 64% More Likely To Set This Type Of Goal - Forbes - January 27th, 2021
- The Expanse Drummer Actor On The Show's Respectful Polyamory Representation - Screen Rant - January 27th, 2021
- Elon Musk Will Fund Mars Colonization By Selling His Possessions - WebProNews - January 17th, 2021
- ISS astronauts ate space-grown radishes for the first time - The Burn-In - January 5th, 2021