Nokias technology and strategy chief Nishant Batra said the Covid-19 pandemic triggered a fast-paced evolution toward digitalization, with evolutions in cloud and wireless access as two key enablers.
We were all going toward a digital society at a rapid pace, but this is exponentially gaining traction now, said Batra, chief strategy and technology officer at Nokia, during a virtual media round table Tuesday.
He pointed to a 30% increase in overall network traffic in the U.S., businesses shifting work from home policies, and behavioral changes with digital tools in focus and enabled by 5G.
The take up of 5G technology has been one of the fastest compared to earlier generations, and is expected to sustain, Batra noted. For example, he said almost 150,000 sites are being deployed between North and Latin America, with 13 operator 5G rollouts in the regions, and a shift toward standalone 5G. In the U.S., its expected four out of five people will be covered by 5G by years end.
In addition to take up of 5G wireless access, as well as early-stage research on 6G for consumer and enterprise use, the other critical enabler from Nokias standpoint is the cloud and relates to the role of the edge for enterprise.
Batra expects to see a very exciting value chain come up, citing opportunities for workloads, security, infrastructure and real estate all to get the enterprise connected.
RELATED: Nokias mobile network head ready to face open RAN competition
I firmly believe this decade will be about really putting the cloud out there in the far edge and possibly the micro edge to enable the cyber-physical landscape coming together, he said. It is also important that not just we as suppliers, but the entire industry is coming to the realization that the future is in software.
It's also about ensuring that software can deployed in a fast-paced way, focused on the use cases enterprises care about, he added. Part of this involves Network as a Service (NaaS), and a future shift Batra pegged in the next 5 to 7 years, from thinking about the network as delivering service level agreements (SLAs) to providing business outcomes.
Operators are currently building out coverage and capacity with 5G networks, but ahead Batra sees critical networks, hyper local private networks for enterprise and industrial adoption. Those wont take off until software agility is developed, alongside adoption of as-a-service business models, he said during prepared remarks at Nokias virtual event on digitalization in the Americas.
Batra also pointed to continued changes in network architecture.
As 5G evolves towards 6G, disaggregated networks will become the norm, not an exception and we need to be prepared for that.
RELATED: 6G doesnt mean ditching 5G but evolving to next G
Three-fourths of enterprise traffic by 2025 will happen on the edge, he said, citing a Gartner study, with compute moving closer to the use case at the edge, far edge and micro edge. Major cloud webscalers have joined the party and use cases will need to flow end-to-end, which is where Batra said network slicing comes into play.
Network slicing business models
Batra called network slicing a fundamental requirement for monetizing the network.
He firmly believes it will start as a capability-driven business model where slices are segmented and represented to potential buyers based on capabilities applicable for their use cases, be it security or SLAs but very soon evolve to as-a-service.
As a service model, it will then become network slice-as-a-service, essentially.
That business model can then go further, he said, with network slice-as-a-service complemented with exposure to cloud webscalers-as-a-service APIs (with NaaS from operators) to build what Batra said will be outcome-as-a-service, where applications and developers have come to utilize the full marketplace.
RELATED: Nokia partners with AWS, Microsoft, Google for 5G and cloud
For a developer to use the capabilities of the network, then they will have to think about network-as-a-service exposure of the telecoms, and then they would complement that with webscale, possibly a far edge in the enterprise, Batra said. Thats how I believe these use cases will really take off.
Before any of that gets going though, there needs to be a focus on orchestration for the network slices themselves. Network slicing may present new business models, but operators and suppliers are still working to establish the technology, though Batra said community is coming around and getting there.
These slices have to be dynamically cleared and destroyed as needed, he noted. So the orchestration [engine] is a key technology for the marketplace to exist.
When will business models for network slicing come into play?
I believe this will become real in about six to 18 months, Batra said.
RELATED: Dish looks to serve up secure 5G slicing with Nokia software
Nokia just expanded its work with Dish, providing security software for end-to-end network slicing with automation and orchestration a key component. It has also inked 5G and cloud partnerships with AWS, Google, and Microsoft.
Private networks are another major focus for Nokia, which promise their own levels of security and reliability for enterprise customers. The Finnish vendor works both through service provider partners as well as direct to enterprise for private networks.
This month Verizon secured its first European private 5G network customer in a deal with Associated British Ports (ABP) that involves Nokia. The operator launched its private 5G managed service for international customers leveraging Nokias Digital Automation Cloud application platform, which also offers local edge computing.
RELATED:Will private wireless kill network slicing before it even gets started?
When it comes to Nokias focus on private networks versus CSP interest in network slicing, Batra doesnt view them as in conflict.
I see both going together for us, not just one, he said, noting Nokias strong enterprise connections and portfolio, as well as operators systems integration expertise in some cases.
Read this article:
- Technology company - Wikipedia - June 20th, 2021
- PROJECT 38: How to survive today's tech stressors - Washington Technology - June 20th, 2021
- The first-ever Black-owned social job network built on blockchain technology launches Juneteenth - Johnson City Press (subscription) - June 20th, 2021
- Komatsu: celebrating 100 years of industrial innovation | Technology - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - June 20th, 2021
- Energy Department Seeks to Keep Grant-Backed Technology Jobs in U.S. - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- AI and the future of global trade | Technology & AI - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - June 20th, 2021
- Investors in technology need to pay attention to corporate governance - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- Swiss Scientist Refined Technology Used in MRI Scans - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Talking Technology: Ferrie Says This Investment Can Yield Up to $100/Acre Profits - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Mississippi INBRE Research Efforts Aided by Technology Upgrade - Southern Miss Now - June 20th, 2021
- How One Company Is Leveraging Technology To Support And Educate Autistic Children - Forbes - June 20th, 2021
- Meet the World Economic Forum's Technology Pioneers of 2021 - World Economic Forum - June 20th, 2021
- Research says AI technology to divert invasive species in Illinois river akin to 'crime scene photos' - The Center Square - June 20th, 2021
- Bridging the gap: Technology can help conserve biodiversity - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- Diving into the global problem of technology waste - MIT News - June 20th, 2021
- Calculating The Fair Value Of New Oriental Education & Technology Group Inc. (NYSE:EDU) - Yahoo Finance - June 20th, 2021
- Ministers eye technology to save thousands of NHS staffing hours - Yahoo Finance UK - June 20th, 2021
- U.S., EU Forge Closer Ties on Emerging Technologies to Counter Russia and China - The Wall Street Journal - June 20th, 2021
- Newater Technology, Inc. Announces the Discharge of Injunction Against its Going Private Transaction - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- The UAPs (UFOs) Are Not Caused by Any U.S. Advanced Technology - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - June 20th, 2021
- All kinds of new technology are being used to monitor the natural world - The Economist - June 20th, 2021
- WIPO is seeking a Head, Legislative, Policy and Technology Advice Section - IPWatchdog.com - June 20th, 2021
- This Is The Future Of EV Technology...Maybe - InsideEVs - June 20th, 2021
- Rule of land supreme, not your policy: Parliamentary panel on information technology to Twitter - Economic Times - June 20th, 2021
- Coding languages to learn and avoid for technology jobs in banks - eFinancialCareers - June 20th, 2021
- Green Energy: The Issue Is Politics, Not Technology or Cost - Bloomberg - June 20th, 2021
- Global High Purity Alumina Market (2020 to 2026) - Featuring Airy Technology, Nippon Light Metal and Polar Sapphire Among Others -... - June 20th, 2021
- Novel Vaccine Based on mRNA Technology Shows Protection Against Malaria in Animal Models | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - June 20th, 2021
- Widespread electrification requires us to rethink battery technology - TechCrunch - June 13th, 2021
- Innovative Battery Technology Puts Flying Cars on the Horizon - SciTechDaily - June 13th, 2021
- Intel debates buyout of SiFive to bolster chip technology against Arm -source - Reuters - June 13th, 2021
- Erbil to host 2nd annual international fair on information technology - Kurdistan24 - June 13th, 2021
- The coming productivity boom - MIT Technology Review - June 13th, 2021
- Sit back and enjoy the technology ride - Mankato Free Press - June 13th, 2021
- King County Councils ban of facial recognition technology is misguided - MyNorthwest.com - June 13th, 2021
- Recon Updates Progress on its Technology-Driven Solutions for Electric Submersible Progressing Cavity Pump with $5 Million Orders Secured - PRNewswire - June 13th, 2021
- Jetti Resources' technology could help unlock millions of tonnes of copper from tailings - The Northern Miner - June 13th, 2021
- We can take the lead in offshore wind-energy technology - theday.com - June 13th, 2021
- Senate passes bill to boost US science and tech innovation to compete with China - USA TODAY - June 13th, 2021
- Technology Fills the Gap as Jobs Lag GDP - The Wall Street Journal - June 13th, 2021
- Salesforce CEO: We're going to rebuild all of our technology to become Slack-first - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2021
- TikTok changed the shape of some peoples faces without asking - MIT Technology Review - June 13th, 2021
- NFTs: A token of trust in the digital world | Technology & AI - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - June 13th, 2021
- NextNav, with its warehouse-ready positioning technology, going public via SPAC - FreightWaves - June 13th, 2021
- What is a flying car? - The Indian Express - June 13th, 2021
- Moon, Macron discuss bilateral cooperation in cutting-edge technology industries - The Korea Herald - June 13th, 2021
- This Top Computer and Technology Stock is a #1 (Strong Buy): Why It Should Be on Your Radar - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2021
- This DST-backed wastewater treatment technology to reduce costs for low, medium scale enterprises - The Financial Express - June 13th, 2021
- VPN is still the most important tool in your technological arsenal - TechRadar - June 13th, 2021
- DXC Technology Welcomes Brenda Tsai as Chief Marketing and Communications Officer - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Proceed to your nearest (virtual) exit: gaming technology is teaching us how people respond to emergencies - The Conversation AU - June 13th, 2021
- UK and US agree to strengthen ties in science and technology - GOV.UK - June 13th, 2021
- The Frangible Technology Fund Expands Across the United States - United States Eventing Association - June 13th, 2021
- BIS Working Paper Examines Architecture and Rationale of CBDC Technology | ABA Banking Journal - ABA Banking Journal - June 13th, 2021
- Should You Be Adding Amkor Technology (NASDAQ:AMKR) To Your Watchlist Today? - Simply Wall St - June 13th, 2021
- Worldwide Rubber Gloves Industry to 2026 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - June 13th, 2021
- Survivor Credits Cutting Edge Technology For Best Chance In Fight Against Aggressive Breast Cancer - news9.com KWTV - June 13th, 2021
- 2022 Audi A3 and S3 return with improved engines and technology - The Car Connection - June 13th, 2021
- Is Society Moving In The Right Direction With Technology Rapidly Taking Over The World? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Top Technology Trends Redefining the Future of the Fintech Industry - Analytics Insight - June 2nd, 2021
- King County Council votes to ban use of facial recognition technology - KING5.com - June 2nd, 2021
- Why banks differ in the pace of adoption of new technology | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - June 2nd, 2021
- 1 Trillion Gallons of Water Being Recycled Using Xylem Technology - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- What Is the Space Force's Technology Vision? - FedTech Magazine - June 2nd, 2021
- Staying safe with technology | News | thenewsguard.com - The News Guard - June 2nd, 2021
- New technology put in place to stop wrong-way drivers is showing results - WCPO - June 2nd, 2021
- UK Partners With NASA to Help Launch $15 Million Space Technology Research Institute - UKNow - June 2nd, 2021
- MOLECULAR YOU SIGNS AGREEMENT FOR ROCHE TO USE ITS MOLECULAR PROFILING TECHNOLOGY - BioSpace - June 2nd, 2021
- Japanese companies to develop chipmaking technology with TSMC -Nikkei - Reuters - June 2nd, 2021
- Microsoft: This open-source technology points the way to the collaborative future of work - TechRepublic - June 2nd, 2021
- Using Technology to Increase Investor Confidence - The Real Deal - June 2nd, 2021
- Adlumin Appoints New Director of Innovation and Technology - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- NBA Launchpad initiative seeks to improve basketball through emerging technologies - USA TODAY - June 2nd, 2021
- Cristiano Ronaldo Signs Recovery Technology Deal With Therabody - SportTechie - June 2nd, 2021
- Micron Technology to Report Fiscal Third Quarter Results on June 30, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Harvard Licenses Technology to Obatala Sciences to Advance Discovery in Obesity, Diabetes, and Cancer - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- Former head of Alphabets Loon joins Starship Technologies as new CEO - TechCrunch - June 2nd, 2021
- HRS Crisis Management Solution Delivers Turnkey Technology and Safe Hotel Options for Corporations, First Responders and Governments - Business Wire - June 2nd, 2021
- Trillions of pounds of trash: New technology tries to solve an old garbage problem - CNBC - June 2nd, 2021
- Technology companies testing anti-misinformation accuracy prompts developed by MIT research team - PRNewswire - June 2nd, 2021