New Task Force Will Consider Leases For Offshore Wind Energy Developers In The Gulf Of Maine
A new task force will convene for the first time Thursday to consider how and where to lease potentially vast swathes of the Gulf of Maine to offshore wind-energy developers. The outcome could have big consequences for Maine's fishing industry, and for the state's role in the next wave of renewable energy development.
An earlier round of auctions awarded leases in federal waters off southern New England, where several large-scale wind projects should soon start churning out thousands of megawatts of electricity a big down payment on state commitments to ramp up the use of renewable energy.
Now, at New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu's request, the federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management is starting a new process to designate the best areas for offshore wind projects farther north in the Gulf of Maine. Analysts say investments could be worth billions of dollars, with thousands of jobs in the offing.
"This is a really significant opportunity for our energy future and economy," says Dan Burgess.
Burgess directs Maine Gov. Janet Mills' energy office, and he is leading the state's delegation to the intergovernmental task force that will advise the Bureau Of Ocean Energy Management. The panel also includes representatives from New Hampshire, Massachusetts, tribal governments and the feds.
One challenge for Maine, Burgess says, will be to pursue offshore wind opportunities without harming fishing or shipping industries and the Gulf's ecosystems.
"Any development really does have to consider existing commercial maritime interests and habitat as well. And we really do want to bring that full lens to this process."
Burgess says some major wind developers are showing interest in Maine. That would mark a change from the sector's recent doldrums in the state.
Jeremy Payne, the executive director of the Maine Renewable Energy Association, says former Gov. Paul LePage stalled ocean wind development off Maine when he intervened in an offshore energy bid that had been won by a Norwegian company called Statoil which prompted the company to withdraw from the state altogether.
"Reputationally, the state really suffered, particularly in the last couple of years of the LePage Administration when there was so much uncertainty created by the Governor's constant public criticism, says Payne. So companies that were interested in Maine either started looking elsewhere or, at a minimum, put their early development projects on the back burner."
But Mills and the Legislature got things back under way again this year, directing utility regulators to finalize a contract for electricity from a pilot project for a floating turbine system led by the University of Maine, called Aqua-Ventus, to be located in state waters off Monhegan Island.
It's an important first effort, Payne says. He notes that the continental shelf extends far offshore of southern New England, allowing for the installation of well-developed fixed-platform wind technologies in those relatively shallow waters. But off Maine, the shelf drops off closer to shore, which would force the use of more experimental floating platforms.
But if the feds open up new lease areas, and Maine lawmakers authorize new long-term contracts, Payne says, the market is likely to follow.
"And perhaps a year or so from now we'll see another procurement, and that really will get the industry's attention and say 'you need to look at Maine.'"
But that worries some in the state's fishing industries. Ben Martens is the executive director of the Maine Coast Fishermen's Association.
"I think this could be much bigger than whales when it comes to the impacts it could have on our fishing industry in the Gulf of Maine," he says.
Martens says offshore wind development could rival pending federal action to protect endangered North Atlantic right whales that, right now, has the lobster industry up in arms.
He says fishermen are concerned about conflict with the multiple anchors and cables needed for floating platforms. And in the Monhegan area, he adds, fishermen feel burned by their experience with Aqua Ventus.
"They've really bungled the rollout of that project, to the extent where fishermen just don't trust them anymore because they keep on changing, they keep updating, the story is different every time they talk to the fishing communities, says Martens. And so there's a lot of fear right now around offshore wind that didn't exist before that project started."
Aqua Ventus officials could not be reached for comment.
State Energy Director Dan Burgess notes that there will be representatives of the Maine's Department of Marine Resources on the offshore wind task force. And fishing industry representatives will participate in Bureau Of Ocean Energy Management processes as well.
The agency's guidelines call for lease areas to be identified within two years, and for leases to be auctioned within four.
See original here:
- Petrofac hands over BorWin3 offshore wind grid connection project to TenneT - WorldOil - February 16th, 2020
- RENEWABLE ENERGY: Offshore wind: What are Trump's 'true intentions'? - E&E News - February 16th, 2020
- BP awards Oceaneering two light well intervention projects offshore Angola - WorldOil - February 16th, 2020
- Offshore Wind Predicitive Maintenance Project Kicks Off - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- Keppel associate drops merger bid to create offshore housing giant - The Straits Times - February 16th, 2020
- Groton Startup ThayerMahan Grows to Capture Offshore Wind and Electric Boat Opportunities - CT Examiner - February 16th, 2020
- Cognite and Aker BP to explore robotics in oil and gas operations - Offshore Technology - February 16th, 2020
- NABU Objects to Gennaker Offshore Wind Project - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- Cruise Ship Welcomed by Cambodia Is Anchored Offshore Pending Coronavirus Check - Voice of America - February 16th, 2020
- Diamond Offshore: The Slide Continues - Seeking Alpha - February 16th, 2020
- State pier project to bring more jobs, offshore wind center to New London - WTNH.com - February 16th, 2020
- UK has 'washed its hands' of offshore jobs - reNEWS - February 16th, 2020
- TenneT Gathers 2GW Offshore Grid Connection Team - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- SPT Offshore to Deliver 2 Met Masts in China - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- Africa Oil receives approval to acquire interest in South Africa's block - Offshore Technology - February 16th, 2020
- With focus on solar and offshore wind, Taiwan should not neglect geothermal - ThinkGeoEnergy - February 16th, 2020
- EDF Takes 50% Stake in 1GW Irish Offshore Wind Farm - Offshore WIND - February 16th, 2020
- Offshore worker tests negative for coronavirus - Shetland News - February 16th, 2020
- Fed review of offshore wind projects raising concerns - Newsday - January 27th, 2020
- 2020 Expected to Transform the Offshore Supply Chain - The Maritime Executive - January 27th, 2020
- Is Germany's offshore sector about to hit the buffers too? - Windpower Monthly - January 27th, 2020
- Acoustic survey to study right whales, fish around offshore wind projects - WorkBoat - January 27th, 2020
- Floating production market outlook continues to improve - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- SAExploration Announces $42 Million of New Projects in Offshore West Africa, and Reduction in Debt of $14.5 Million - Yahoo Finance - January 27th, 2020
- EDPR and Engie Join Forces With Aim to Rank Among Top 5 Offshore Wind Developers - Greentech Media News - January 25th, 2020
- Acoustic survey to study right whales, fish around offshore wind projects - National Fisherman - January 25th, 2020
- Star of the South Subsea Surveys to Begin in February - Offshore WIND - January 25th, 2020
- World's Largest Offshore Wind Farm Will Power 4.5 Million Homes - Singularity Hub - January 25th, 2020
- New Zealand Bans Offshore Oil and Gas Drilling - One Green Planet - January 25th, 2020
- Wind power could be dominant offshore energy focus within 5 years - Houston Chronicle - January 25th, 2020
- 01/20/2020 | Hundreds Attend Offshore Wind Hearing In Ocean City | News Ocean City - The Dispatch - January 25th, 2020
- After Years Of Slow Action On Climate Change, What Sets Offshore Wind Apart For N.H.? - New Hampshire Public Radio - January 25th, 2020
- Offshore wind giant Orsted favors small deals over big M&A: CEO - Reuters - January 25th, 2020
- Visiongain has Forecasted That the Global Offshore Oil & Gas Decommissioning Market will See a Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) of $8279 Million -... - January 25th, 2020
- Teekay Offshore Partners Announces Completion of Its Acquisition by Brookfield, Changes to Board of Directors and Plan to Rebrand as Altera... - January 25th, 2020
- Ruthin firm starts work on the world's largest offshore wind farm - Denbighshire Free Press - January 25th, 2020
- Offshore drilling ban, veterans in nursing, and medical marijuana on State House minds this week - WLTX.com - January 25th, 2020
- France ups offshore wind ambitions - 4C Offshore - January 25th, 2020
- Why 36One lost its appeal over offshore funds - Business Day - January 25th, 2020
- Research project to test zero emission technology on Viking Energy - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - January 25th, 2020
- Turkey receives invitation from Somalia to explore offshore oil - Offshore Technology - January 25th, 2020
- Eni Begins Production From Agogo Oilfield Offshore Angola - Nasdaq - January 25th, 2020
- Day #4 Morning Report: Start of Doublehanded Offshore Event, Weather and Conditions - US SAILING - January 25th, 2020
- RPS to Conduct Star of the South Environmental Studies - Offshore WIND - January 25th, 2020
- First Foundation In at Triton Knoll - Offshore WIND - January 25th, 2020
- UK looks to offshore wind for green energy transition - FRANCE 24 - January 25th, 2020
- Japan tax evasion hunt extends to nearly 2m offshore accounts - Nikkei Asian Review - December 13th, 2019
- US offshore wind project hits back at bird groups over lawsuit - Recharge - December 13th, 2019
- Offshore wind waits for Johnson to deliver after UK election triumph - Recharge - December 13th, 2019
- Expressions of interest sought for mixed two-handed offshore keelboat for Paris 2024 - The Irish Times - December 13th, 2019
- LR: UK Offshore Wind Leasing Round 4 to Be Highly Competitive - Offshore WIND - December 13th, 2019
- More SGX FX futures traded in Nov amid surge in offshore yuan contracts - The Business Times - December 13th, 2019
- Denmark plans $30 billion offshore wind island that could power 10 million homes - Reuters - December 12th, 2019
- Offshore Wind May Help The Planet But Will It Hurt Whales? - NPR - December 12th, 2019
- Denmark plans $30 bn offshore wind island that could power 10 million homes - Economic Times - December 12th, 2019
- New Hampshire Governor Signs Offshore Wind Executive Order - Offshore WIND - December 12th, 2019
- US bird groups in legal challenge to Great Lakes offshore wind - Recharge - December 12th, 2019
- iM Global Partner appoints head of sales for US Offshore and Latin America Markets - HedgeWeek - December 12th, 2019
- Equinor buys offshore windfarm projects in Poland - Power Technology - December 12th, 2019
- MO4 and Seaqualize Take Home Offshore Wind Innovation Awards - Offshore WIND - December 12th, 2019
- Jumanji: The Next Level Notches $53M In Early Offshore Bow; Many Markets Up, But China Not Game; Frozen 2 Plows To $920M WW International Box Office... - December 12th, 2019
- More discoveries needed to sustain long-term offshore developments - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 12th, 2019
- To those stuck in offshore detention: we will keep fighting for you. The medevac repeal is not the end - The Guardian - December 12th, 2019
- Vineyard Wind: delayed project reveals bluster in US's offshore wind ambitions - Power Technology - December 4th, 2019
- Huawei urging suppliers to break the law by moving offshore: Ross - Reuters - December 4th, 2019
- As Nation Transfixed by Impeachment, Trump Quietly Provides Offshore Drilling Industry 'Sweetheart Giveaway' - Common Dreams - December 4th, 2019
- Why Dominion's Approach to Offshore Wind May Prove Costly to Consumers - WVTF - December 4th, 2019
- Lowdon named Director of Strategic Development for the National Offshore Wind Institute at BCC - SouthCoastToday.com - December 4th, 2019
- Natural gas of Israel's largest offshore field to start flowing within two weeks - Haaretz - December 4th, 2019
- HMRC lacks staff to investigate over 5.7 million offshore tip-offs - International Investment - December 4th, 2019
- ERSG to build Asian offshore wind teams - reNEWS - December 4th, 2019
- Orsted in global offshore wind shake-up as Clark takes UK top job - Recharge - December 4th, 2019
- Saipem 7000 to install NnG foundation jackets offshore Scotland - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 4th, 2019
- Investing offshore: Keeping things simple helps you stick to your investment plan - Daily Maverick - December 4th, 2019
- VAALCO continues production boosting measures offshore Gabon - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - December 4th, 2019
- Offshore Wind: The New Frontier in Powering Platforms? - Oil and Gas Facilities - December 4th, 2019
- Offshore investing - Why keeping it simple can be the best approach - Fin24 - December 4th, 2019
- Triumph of the yuan: read more in the latest issue of Offshore Technology Focus - Offshore Technology - December 4th, 2019
- Here is What Hedge Funds Think About KNOT Offshore Partners LP (KNOP) - Yahoo Finance - December 4th, 2019
- Two Injured in Offshore Explosion - The Maritime Executive - December 4th, 2019